Re: Checking in with the Red Sox Franchise Player

• TrotterNixon
    • First: 07/03/2012
    • Last: 09/01/2012

Your an idiot !

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

wish they trade je and get some thing back

be interesting IF he has a bounce back 2013..

.I wonder then how much dr boreass will demand

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I'll start the bidding at $1K for Softy to stop posting on BDC :)

NO!!!!  I'd miss his boring, mindless, perseverant posts.!!!  Like teeing up golf b.alls!  Easy to smash.

Plus, I'd miss picking on him.

How often does your wife call you Softy???

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Bora$$ is a blowhard and dangerous to the Red Sox. 

You mock Ellsbury but your hatred towards him obscures a more troubling situation: is he the MVP caliber player we saw last year or will this year be more typical of his seasons going forward?

If last year was how he is going to play going forward - if he can string together 4 or 5 more seasons like that - he's worth what Boras demands. But: right now doesn't look like he is built for the long haul. Meantime I don't think Ells wants to be in Boston if he gets an equivalent offer. 

Best option is to hold onto him for a bit and look hard at trade options...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Jacoby Ellsbury on Monday was assigned first error since 2009, but I thought the error belonged to Ryan Lavarnway.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

What do you think Boras can or will say about Ellsbury?  He certainly has to start planning negotiations by asking for the moon.  He cannot say something like "Ellsbury looks like a one year superstar and has taken a big step back from his production in 2011."

Trying to get the most money for Ellsbury in his next contract is a big part of what an agent is supposed to do.  Calling him a "fanchise player" is part of the deal even if Ellsbury has only performed like a franchise player in one year of his career to date.

Ellsbury may or may not ever have another season like he had in 2011 and that will be the big gamble going forward to sign him for big money that the Sox or any other team will have to figure out.

I see him as huge mistake at anything near even $12M per year and even then only on a three year contract. His injuries could possibly hinder his future performances.  He has had only one stellar season in his career.   He has a weak throwing arm that is going to land him in left field before a long term contract concludes, and I don't think that he is going to provide the usual power numbers sought from a left fielder.  Much of his game is based on speed and speed is very likely to start to decline within four years.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

are we calling JE "franchise player" because that's what his agent calls him?  what do you expect his agent to say?  that he isn't a franchise type player?  come on man, please tell me you know a little bit more about the business side of baseball, agents, and "selling" something?  boras is the most evil master at this and the fact that he is jake's agent - this type of nonsense is expected.  let me clue you in to something - Boras already has a 200 page binder extraplilating every stat possible showing potential "customers" just how much of a franchise player JE is.  there are also cigarette companies that can show you pages and pages of data that smoking isn't harmful.  get it?
    it doesn't matter what the sox offer him.  unless it's the most $$$ he will sign elsewhere.  let me guess - trade him for "prospects"?  trade him for upton?  neither seem like an upgrade to me.  especially with 1 more year with him under team control. 
    the horse you are beating is dumb as a stump.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

He is worth  5/ 75 tops

He looked solid, tonight. Franchise players carry teams, like Ellsbury is currently carrying the offense. He's been moved out of his normal #3 hitter slot, where Boras says he fits as a franchise player.

Including this season, 30M and 3 years is a lot of money to pay for a career sub .800 OPS. Currently, his OPS is a solid .680, which is franchise player material.

Franchise players carry teams in basketball or football, maybe, but never, ever in MLB.  OK, OK, maybe Johnny Podres carried the Dodgers in the 19555 WS, except he only got two of their four wins and didn't bat in any runs.  And forget the football thing because great quarterbacks, the franchise player type, don't play defense and don't block on offense. 

Last year Ellsbury was almost a franchise player, 2d in MVP voting, but he was one of four good hitters in the lineup in September, and collectively the lineup couldn't prevent the biggest debacle in MLB history.  Last time I checked Ellsbury didn't pitch in very many games last year, so his hitting exploits--he led the Sox in practically everything in September--were never going to be enough.  Same is even more true this year. 

If Scott Boras isn't prepared to hype his player, he should be  prepared to get fired.  It's his  job to be over the top.  The gullible one was Gordon Edes for apparently accepting whatever Boras said at face value.   

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brickbat. Show Brickbat's posts

He was MVP-caliber last year. In 2007 he was arguably the spark that pushed them over the top. How many MLB players can say anything similar? 

This year the guy missed most of the season and came back to a dead team -- what do you really expect? 

That doesn't mean he should be signed for a zillion years and dollars, but the constant bashing is ridiculous.  Yeah, I get that a trade now might be the right move (or...not) and i know he's had too many injuries. But do you really want to bet on "prospects" who have never proven a thing in the big leagues (and who could be two years away) over someone with his ability and accomplishments? 

When I read these kinds of things I just assume the poster is trying to impress us with his or her thorough knowledge of the organizatiion: "never heard of Bradley? Oh, you can't be a REAL fan."

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brickbat. Show Brickbat's posts

Let's see, this was tough to find all inhad to do is Google:

"He was named MLB's American League Rookie of the Month for September 2007[22] and, with fewer than 130 major league at-bats, still qualified as a rookie for the 2008 season.

During the 2007 postseason, with Coco Crisp struggling, Ellsbury got the start in center field for Game 6 of the American League Championship Series against the Cleveland Indians, starting every subsequent postseason game. In eleven total postseason games, he hit .360 in 25 at-bats with two stolen bases.

On October 27, with his two doubles off Josh Fogg in top of the third inning of Game 3 of the World Series, he became the first rookie to hit two doubles in the same inning of a World Series game. After hitting another double off Brian Fuentes in the eighth inning, he became the fourth rookie ever to hit three doubles in a World Series game. His four hits, including a single in the first inning, made him only the third rookie to ever accomplish the feat in the World Series, after Freddie Lindstrom in 1924 and Joe Garagiola in 1946. For the World Series, he batted .438 with four doubles and a stolen base."

You can of course, argue this was a Gene Tenace flash in the pan. But not since he had 2011.

Sections
Shortcuts