Cherington dumber than I thouht !

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wvwc61. Show wvwc61's posts

Cherington dumber than I thouht !

If the Sox are interested in Napoli, and Napoli said he prefers catching, it makes a lot of sense to sign Ross. I'm sure Napoli would have been ok with catching some games and playing first for other games. I can see the Yanks signing him if they don't sign Martin. Signing Ross only makes

sense if they intend to trade Salty and "no hit" Lavarnway. But I'm sure Ben the moron never had

that thought.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Cherington dumber than I thouht !

Napoli never say that he prefer catching.  He does not mind playing at 1B.  All he want to play as many games as he can!!

Ross is a good signing cuz Boston can now part away Salty or Lav for a starting pitcher!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wvwc61. Show wvwc61's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Napoli never say that he prefer catching.  He does not mind playing at 1B.  All he want to play as many games as he can!!

Ross is a good signing cuz Boston can now part away Salty or Lav for a starting pitcher!!

Yes he did say that on Comcast Sports New England as quoted last night. He said he perceives himself as a catcher.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to wvwc61's comment:

If the Sox are interested in Napoli, and Napoli said he prefers catching, it makes a lot of sense to sign Ross. I'm sure Napoli would have been ok with catching some games and playing first for other games. I can see the Yanks signing him if they don't sign Martin. Signing Ross only makes

sense if they intend to trade Salty and "no hit" Lavarnway. But I'm sure Ben the moron never had

that thought.

I just read an article on globe .com that Cherington saying (A) expect to have one the highest payrolls for 2013 (B) he is going make the sox a more exciting team to watch (c)making the sox contenders (D) making this team competive for next seasons

He talked about that the Marlins trade expectations was to risky for transacting all these players at once.

After reading this article i am now assuming that he got the OK to spend money. He will probably be a busy man this winter, in order to fill the missing peices.

Now I wondering if he going to take shot at Hamilton, Dickey and Napoli for the missing peices. Interesting to see if he will be aggressive.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

that thought.

He will play regular 1B at Fenway if he is given the chance.  He knows he kills the Fenway and playing half of his season in Fenway will only help his value go up.  If he's smart and knows how things work, he would come and play for the Red Sox.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

that thought.

First off Ross was brought in to fill a backup catcher role.

Secondly, if the Sox want Napoli he'd be signed as their 1B, and although Napoli has said he prefers to catch he also said he would play 1B if it got him in the line-up regularly.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/8624673/2012-mlb-free-agency-mike-napoli-willing-play-spots-other-catcher

Calling Cherington a moron for something he hasn't done yet is in itself moronic. Plus please pay attention to the player's comments before you insert foot in mouth.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

that thought.

Secondly, if the Sox want Napoli he'd be signed as their 1B, and although Napoli has said he prefers to catch he also said he would play 1B if it got him in the line-up regularly.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/8624673/2012-mlb-free-agency-mike-napoli-willing-play-spots-other-catcher

Calling Cherington a moron for something he hasn't done yet is in itself moronic. Plus please pay attention to the player's comments before you insert foot in mouth.

Where does it state that Ross will be a backup?  Just because he was one for Atlanta doesnt necessarily hold true for the Sox.. if you want your best overall catcher starting then Ross is far and away the best defensively and  equal (at the very least ) offensively.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

that thought.

Where does it state that Ross will be a backup?  Just because he was one for Atlanta doesnt necessarily hold true for the Sox.. if you want your best overall catcher starting then Ross is far and away the best defensively and  equal (at the very least ) offensively.

Venice, you're right nobody has officially stated it, but I think you are overrating this player a bit...no where has it been stated that he was obtained to become the primary catcher on the team either...the fact that his best play in the majors has come as a backup catcher would indicate that this would be his role with the Sox.

Defensively he will overshadow Saltalamacchia and Lavarnway, and be a perfect fit as a late inning replacement, occasional starter on the team...His bat is average at best, and if Salty is still on the team I would see him still retaining the everyday starter role, despite his propensity to strike out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

HAHAHAHAHAAHAH.  Oh man.  This has to be one of the funniest of many ironic thread titles of the young off-season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

HAHAHAHAHAAHAH.  Oh man.  This has to be one of the funniest of many ironic thread titles of the young off-season.

Just a guess, but the OP might not understand irony.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

and that is where the irony lies Carnie.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

I wonder how many of you now realize that the price for FA has just shot up?  Torri Hunter's two year 26 million dollar contract means that LaRoche, Napoli, Ross, Kuroda and others will be asking for big contracts.  What does that mean to the Red Sox?  I hope we will be willing to pay or trade for the going rates, but to the names Hermida, Cameron, Gathright, Repko, Padilla, Valencia, Kotteras ring some bells????  All those stiffs were gotten by the Red Sox when they gave their usual mantra of why they failed to get the better players like Teixiera and others....WELL WE MADE A VERY NICE OFFER, DID OUR BEST BUT COULDN'T REACH AN AGREEMENT THOUGH WE CAME CLOSE.  I've heard that BS before and don't want to hear that refrain again  this year.  Pay the friggin" going rate and get us some  talent.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:

I wonder how many of you now realize that the price for FA has just shot up?  Torri Hunter's two year 26 million dollar contract means that LaRoche, Napoli, Ross, Kuroda and others will be asking for big contracts.  What does that mean to the Red Sox?  I hope we will be willing to pay or trade for the going rates, but to the names Hermida, Cameron, Gathright, Repko, Padilla, Valencia, Kotteras ring some bells????  All those stiffs were gotten by the Red Sox when they gave their usual mantra of why they failed to get the better players like Teixiera and others....WELL WE MADE A VERY NICE OFFER, DID OUR BEST BUT COULDN'T REACH AN AGREEMENT THOUGH WE CAME CLOSE.  I've heard that BS before and don't want to hear that refrain again  this year.  Pay the friggin" going rate and get us some  talent.

If you want to cheer for a team with an unlimited budget the Yankees and Dodgers are available.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

If you want to cheer for a team with an unlimited budget the Yankees and Dodgers are available.

Carnie, with all due respect, you're attempt to p ut the Red Sox in the small market category is sickening at best and absoltely pathetic at worst..   The Red Sox are loaded with money just with the disposal of those contracts this past summer.  Besides that, Henry is a billionaire and not some carney penny pincher scffling for his next meal.  We have the money and we need to spend it....wisely, but not do the miserable job we did last winter---Melancon, Carpenter, Pdilla, Repko, Valencia, Silva, Thomas.  Real winner huh?  Dumpster hunting didn't work last winter and it won't work now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I do not see any Texeira's on the market.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

I was making a point about how we've blown signings before because of a few million dollars.  As for no Teixiera's, wrong!!!!!!  That guy from Texas?????  Know who I'm talking about?  He's on the market----though I don't espouse pouring money out for him, but I do want to see us add some solid talent this winter and so far this is starting to look an awful lot like last year and you  know the trash we  got stuck with then.

And here is something for you and o thers of the Cherington Marching and Chowder Society.  He was hired dring the Douq ette years and he has never advanced anywhere with any other team hiring him away, the way teams do when successful front office personnel are part of success.  Others have in the Red Sox organization, but not Cherington.  T ell you something there?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

I was making a point about how we've blown signings before because of a few million dollars.  As for no Teixiera's, wrong!!!!!!  That guy from Texas?????  Know who I'm talking about?  He's on the market----though I don't espouse pouring money out for him, but I do want to see us add some solid talent this winter and so far this is starting to look an awful lot like last year and you  know the trash we  got stuck with then.

And here is something for you and o thers of the Cherington Marching and Chowder Society.  He was hired dring the Douq ette years and he has never advanced anywhere with any other team hiring him away, the way teams do when successful front office personnel are part of success.  Others have in the Red Sox organization, but not Cherington.  T ell you something there?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Repko, Valencia, Silva, Thomas.

Okay, for tonight's Jeopardy,question, who are two batters that had less than 40 ABs between them, and two pitchers who had 4.2 IPs between them.  In other words, in terms of ABs, we are talking about 24 and 27th most important hitters, and our 24th most important pitcher, or in team terms, our 48th, 49th, and 51st player.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

All those stiffs were gotten by the Red Sox when they gave their usual mantra of why they failed to get the better players like Teixiera and others...

Teixeira=24 HRs and a .251.  That's like a million $ per HR.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

that thought.

I say we perform a detailed brain scan to see if Ben the moron ever had that thought.  As Red Sox fans, we deserve to know every misinformed and sinister intention of the front office.  In fact, right now they are systematically undermining any possibility of franchise recovery with their duplicity.  

Ah ha!  I just had an epiphany.  The Red Sox hired Ben Cherrington in the same way Max Biolystock hired Franz Liebkind, and Mel Brooks cast Larry David as Max Biolystock, to sabotage their operations.  It's all becoming crystal clear to me now.  Bobby V case and point.

Still, like in The Producers, we can hope the plan backfires and the team becomes World Champions again in spite of wicked plans of John Henry and that evil mastermind, Larry Luchino.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Right, because they all wanted to play for $3-5mill before.

I would normally at this point remind you that these player all have experienced agents who know enough not to take the first offer they receive.  Normally, that is what I would do.

But seeing as to how I have repeatedly tried to drill that VERY SIMPLE point into that block of pink granite you sport where most people have a skull, I seriously doubt it is going to do any good now.   Six years and nary a dent in the surface.

So have at it,  Go and complain away about EVERYTHING.  There is no stopping you from complaining.  And no one will stop you from going...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wvwc61. Show wvwc61's posts

that thought.

Maybe you are moronic since you didn't understand my post. Didn't Big Ben sign Ross? That's moronic. Didn't Napoli say he perceives himself as a catcher. If Sox were contenders, maybe he

would sign to play lB. But with Sox being contenders for last place, it ain't smart having a log jam at a position where Napoli prefers to play. Winners have the luxury of telling free agents that you may have to play at a position that you don't prefer. Losers don't have that luxary unless you throw huge mony at them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

that thought.

Maybe you are moronic since you didn't understand my post. Didn't Big Ben sign Ross? That's moronic. Didn't Napoli say he perceives himself as a catcher. If Sox were contenders, maybe he

would sign to play lB. But with Sox being contenders for last place, it ain't smart having a log jam at a position where Napoli prefers to play. Winners have the luxury of telling free agents that you may have to play at a position that you don't prefer. Losers don't have that luxary unless you throw huge mony at them.

Wouldn't acting like a loser be a self-perpetuating kind of thing?  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

that thought.

Ross is a backup.   If the Sox acquired Napoli to catch, they would still need a backup catcher.

They would probably trade Saltalamacchia if that happened, and possibly Lavarnway, too, although Ryan has an option left.

Is this really that complicated?  Or is it just that fans are reeealllllllllllly  desparate for something to complain about?

I think that is why seabeachfred i so mad.  So far, Cherington has only made one move for him to whine about.   Even he has to be getting tired of himself.

And really, with a fanbase as critical as this one, can anyone blame Cherington for not making any moves?  He signs the guy commonly regarded as the best backup catcher in MLB, and who very likely has a future as an MLB manager,  and all the fanbase does is complain about it.   And this is over the backup catcher!  Imagine the reaction if he gets a starting outfielder!

Sections
Shortcuts