Cherington: Have it bronzed ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Cherington: Have it bronzed ...

No matter what happens from this point forward, I think BC should have his johnson bronzed. With few exceptions, every trade, FA signing or contract extension extention has come up smelling like roses.

The big dump last year was an essential part of clearing the decks to move forward.

I fretted about Ortiz' durability, but after a delayed start he's been highly available and who can question the value of his big at-bats?

Like most, I thought we might have overpaid for Victorino, but he's been durable enough, he's an absolute gamer, and that one blast last night was worth millions by itself.

I also thought Drew was an overpay, and that he might not hold up. I'll always miss Iggy, but I now want Drew back if we can afford him.

As a stop-gap, Dempster has been good enough, and never complains about where you want him to play.

Gomes was another suspected overpay, but he's been a great force in the clubhouse, has flashed a good arm on defense, and how do you begin to value the four pinch hit home runs?

I don't know if he'll be back, but Naps has come up with some great picks at 1st and his one-year deal added important right handed power to a lineup that needed it.

And Uehara? That signing will certainly go down as one of the most beneficial signings in club history. No way we'd be going to the WS without him. I've completely forgotten about Paps since this closer-by-default slammed shut the early season revolving door of Hanrahan, Bailey and Tazawa.

Look at our post-season roster and you would be hard pressed to argue against a good fit at any position.

Hat's off, BC!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

Re: Cherington: Have it bronzed ...

2013: The Re-Jubilation tour.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

The Uehara signing was huge. Always hated when we faced him. Since he's locked up for next year I don't see a return of Hanrahan or Bailey. I do believe Hanrahan and Bailey will be free agents. The Breslow signing was huge too because he makes a nice setup along with Tazawa. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Have you not heard. Ben C and the imcompetent RedSox middle management has built a fatally flawed team that Zero chance of being a title contender, at best it's a bubbly playoff contender.

I know it must be true, because it was posted here by one the greatest baseball minds we have ever seen. Wonder where he is today?

Ben C did a great job assembling a cast of characters that the sum was much greater of the parts.

2013 Truly a Special Season

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to ANONMD08's comment:

The Uehara signing was huge. Always hated when we faced him. Since he's locked up for next year I don't see a return of Hanrahan or Bailey. I do believe Hanrahan and Bailey will be free agents. The Breslow signing was huge too because he makes a nice setup along with Tazawa. 

THe funny thing was how that signing went down, at least from my perspective.

Cherington announced there was another big signing coming.  Fans got excited, and there was a lot of buzz on this board.

They announced the Uehara signing.  Fans ignored it and continued to speculate about this "big signing" Cherington announced....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

And for the recrod, Breslow was part of a trade with the DBacks (for Matt Albers and Scott Posednike) in another move that made a lot of heads scratch at the time.  But clearly worked out.  I mean, anyone miss Albers?   How many forgot he existed until I made this post?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to chetgnat's comment:

2013: The Re-Jubilation tour. 

Laughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I forgot

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

In response to notin's comment:

And for the recrod, Breslow was part of a trade with the DBacks (for Matt Albers and Scott Posednike) in another move that made a lot of heads scratch at the time.  But clearly worked out.  I mean, anyone miss Albers?   How many forgot he existed until I made this post?

You're right but the Sox also extended his contract

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to notin's comment:

You're right but the Sox also extended his contract

he had 2 more years of team control after the trade anyway. the Sox just gave him a 2 year deal instead of going through 2 years of arbitration.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

They were all overpays, but how many FAs aren't overpays.  And we aren't paying for their older years either.  The killers on these contracts are when you are adding years on the end when the players are in deep decline.  Naps, Gomes, Drew, and Vic are in their decline years, but we aren't in the 35+ range where the deep declines are.  The extra $1M per year doesn't hurt nearly as much as the extra years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:

Have you not heard. Ben C and the imcompetent RedSox middle management has built a fatally flawed team that Zero chance of being a title contender, at best it's a bubbly playoff contender.

I know it must be true, because it was posted here by one the greatest baseball minds we have ever seen. Wonder where he is today?

Ben C did a great job assembling a cast of characters that the sum was much greater of the parts.

2013 Truly a Special Season

LOL....poor softy

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortuee. Show Ortuee's posts

this season will do as much for Bobby Valentine....the 2 year plan....hire Bobby,year 1, lose 90 games, then with a new manager in year 2, on to the WS.... 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

every trade, FA signing or contract extension extention has come up smelling like roses.

Hanrahan trade

Dempster signing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

No one with unfinished business and a massive budget deserves to be toasted. Lets take a look at the Red Sox after 5 years, and include 2012 in addition to the results of the 2013 unfinished business, before pretending that this part of the Inepstein front office is somehow more than the incompetent that time will prove that he is. 

If the Sox win the WS this year then after 5 years is irrelevant. Certain

teams may be spoiled but any team that gives you a WS title every 

Five years is a successful team.... Sure we want more but there are 30+

teams who would take that in a heartbeat

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

No one with unfinished business and a massive budget deserves to be toasted. Lets take a look at the Red Sox after 5 years, and include 2012 in addition to the results of the 2013 unfinished business, before pretending that this part of the Inepstein front office is somehow more than the incompetent that time will prove that he is. 

It's a date. See ya' in 5 years then? Cheerio! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

every trade, FA signing or contract extension extention has come up smelling like roses.

Hanrahan trade

Dempster signing

Even in those 2 I give Ben a neutral grade. 

Hanrahan got injured which you can't predict

and the Sox were 17-11 in games Dempster started

which is what a guy like Dempster gives you... He keeps

his team in games

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I still think the Dodger trade may go down as the greatest Sox trade in my lifetime. Nobody thought we could dump all that salary, and the play of Napoli at 1B this year made losing AGon and his $20+M a year deal worth the deal. As I said at the time, it was a great deal, even if we didn't get the prospects in return, so anything they give us will be a plus.

Ben did not want Bobby V, so we can't blame him for that one. 

I think Ben learned from Theo's mistakes and has put his stamp on this team. Ben hasn't been perfect (see Hanrahan and Dempster), but overall, he has built a winner without sacrificing our bright future on the farm.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Hanrahan trade

Dempster signing

Even in those 2 I give Ben a neutral grade. 

Hanrahan got injured which you can't predict

and the Sox were 17-11 in games Dempster started

which is what a guy like Dempster gives you... He keeps

his team in games

They had to go out and get Peavy, because Ben lost faith in Dempster as our playoff #4 guy.

Yes, injuries are not always easy to predict, but the fact is Melancon pitched very well, and Hanrahan flopped and got hurt, so it didn't "smell like a rose".

Sections
Shortcuts