CHERINGTON hints at the exit of one JONNY LESTER!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: CHERINGTON hints at the exit of one JONNY LESTER!

In response to CommyContrarianOnTwitter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

sox should hold the line to no mo than 5 years guaranteed. vesting for 6th is as far as u go.. but from reading b/ lines from BC on D and c the other day, lest is likely g-o-n-e. kept saying that there is a line beyond which sox wont cross. got a feelin, Lest's folks are defining "discount" very diffferently from the sox. they can clearly get up to 8 years in the open market and up to 25m from some jabro outfit. talking 8 and 25m if they really want it...

[/QUOTE]

Lester has stated he'd like to stay, Cherington has stated he like to keep em...The Sox can afford to pay market value. Lester doesn't have to take less than he's worth, if he signs great, if he leaves? I'll tip my cap to one of the best that's ever wore a Sox uniform. Move on and root for the guy that takes his spot. In the meantime I'll leave the heavy lighting to Cherington to figure out who wears the uniform or not. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Time will tell. Lester is a good pitcher and could probably get 8 and 25 from the Mariner's especially after they offered more than the Yanks were willing to go with Cano.

That would be the makings of a young and tough rotation in Seattle. We can certainly appreciate his willingness to go West and take a valued contract. We do have many young arms to choose from that are working their way through the system. Time will tell--I think he goes to FA and tests the waters.

If he goes and they don't resign Peavy, Gomes, Lackey, Ross and AJ in addition to Size they will have a number of holes to fill. They will also have some bucks to use to fill the holes. They could go all in for an anchor starter in Scherzer--lots of choices.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Please tell me how its clearly obvious that he could get an 8 yr deal at age 31, which is how old he will be when that deal would start?

im guessing there would be a lot of 4-6 year deals though.

the Sox and Lester will get a deal done.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

COGGLINS LAW .........  "The YOUTH will inherit the EARTH"  !!!

[/QUOTE]

If that means you get banned agin....then I'm all for Cogglins law.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to CommyContrarianOnTwitter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

sox should hold the line to no mo than 5 years guaranteed. vesting for 6th is as far as u go.. but from reading b/ lines from BC on D and c the other day, lest is likely g-o-n-e. kept saying that there is a line beyond which sox wont cross. got a feelin, Lest's folks are defining "discount" very diffferently from the sox. they can clearly get up to 8 years in the open market and up to 25m from some jabro outfit. talking 8 and 25m if they really want it...

[/QUOTE]

Losing Lester would certainly be a loss but but if someone offers Jon a ridiculous amout of years and money like Ells and he bolts, so be it.  I won't blame Jon for it but at the same time won't be rooting for him anymore.  This is what baseball has become thanks to the Yankees with the only difference presently being less championships because NY isn't the only FO willing to spend anymore. 

The Sox present management allowed Theo to throw money away one time and quickly learned a valuable lesson.  As a result we are now in great position financially to go out and get that big player if needed and continue to build a strong farm.  Three championships in 10 years is great to see and there is no reason to believe it can't continue through the next decade if we keep this kind of mindset.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Please tell me how its clearly obvious that he could get an 8 yr deal at age 31, which is how old he will be when that deal would start?

[/QUOTE]

Concur. Just not during the season. It will happen next offseason, which will start at the end of October.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

We like to hear it , but I don't think it was a smart move for Lester to say he was willing to give a " home town discount ."  Not a good way to start negotiations. Maybe the team got the idea that they could lowball him. Jon may be realizing that now. I would very much like to keep Lester on the Sox.   But I think any player is foolish not to look for the best deal. Playing where you are comfortable is certainly part of that. But in the end, careers are relatively short and the player should always try to maximize his earnings. It is not being greedy. The children and grandchildren will benefit. Management is always looking to maximize profits. The player should do the same. That is how business works.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to MadMc1944's comment:

Time will tell. Lester is a good pitcher and could probably get 8 and 25 from the Mariner's especially after they offered more than the Yanks were willing to go with Cano.

Jon Lester has been valued at $51.3 million -- roughly $17.1 million annually -- over the past three seasons, according to the WAR value conversation at FanGraphs:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=4930&position=P#value

In contrast, Robinson Cano had been valued at $88.7 million over the past three seasons -- roughly $29.6 million annually -- before landing a 10-year, $240 million contract with Seattle.

No way does Lester land a $25 million-a-year contract for eight seasons that start after the lefthander's 31st birthday.

Seattle might target Lester if the Mariners plan to contend in 2015, but he would need to take a hometown discount to fit within Seattle's budget. Lester would be nothing more than another complementary piece to 28-year-old ace Felix Hernandez, a superior starter who is in the second season of a seven-year, $175 million contract.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I sure hope Cherrybomb is reading these threads.

He obviously needs advice from a bunch of jokers on who to sign, how much, and how many years.

I mean he doesn't know how to run a team...look at 2013...what a disaster!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Just reported Lester was offered 80M deal

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

based on the report that just game out about what the sox offered lester, they are low balling him hard. This team cannot afford to let lester walk. Buchholz is inconsistent and injury prone, lackey is looking good but is 35, peavy is 32 or 33, doubront is far from a sure thing, and we simply cannot let our best pitcher walk and expect prospects to fill in. How cheap is the sox FO? Are we going to run this team like we are the rays or astros or marlins? Just let all our good players walk and fill the holes with older cheap players or prospects? Lets not have another ellsbury situation on our hands here. We have money coming off the books as, so i'm sure we can afford to sign lester to a fair deal, not the lowball garbage we have offered him. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Time will tell--check out who's available as FA in 2015--some interesting names:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/2015-mlb-free-agents.html

Lester, Yovani Gallarado, Brett Anderson, Johnny Cueto, Hasashi Iwakuma, Justin Masterson, Max Scherzer, James Sheilds, Edinson Volquez, Ervin Santana to name just 10.

FA is a great time for a pro baseball player.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to MadMc1944's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lester, Yovani Gallarado, Brett Anderson, Johnny Cueto, Hasashi Iwakuma, Justin Masterson, Max Scherzer, James Sheilds, Edinson Volquez, Ervin Santana to name just 10.

[/QUOTE]

Gallardo-Iwakuma-Cueto all have team options. they will not be available.

There is a huge difference between 17.5 for 4 years and 20 for 4 years. If I was Lester I would take the 20, but pass on the 17.5. So we don't know much until we find out precisely what the offer was.

I said I would offer 4-74. Because we are into the season and Lester has pitched well, I would go 4-76 or 5-90 now. If we offered 4-76 or 4-80, I am cool with that and if Lester wants to test the market thats fine. We will live. I think I might prefer Scherzer for 6-150 next off season anyway.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

4/75 is an insult but if Lester is thinking his bottom # is 5/125 w/ an option year then I'd say forget it....Ben should go over $100 Mil though otherwise he really doesn't care about keeping him...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

4/75 is an insult but if Lester is thinking his bottom # is 5/125 w/ an option year then I'd say forget it....Ben should go over $100 Mil though otherwise he really doesn't care about keeping him...

[/QUOTE]

I thought you didn't think much of Lester. What changed?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Concur. Just not during the season. It will happen next offseason, which will start at the end of October.

[/QUOTE]

.....or at the beginning of October.......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I thought you didn't think much of Lester. What changed?

[/QUOTE]

I watched him grow up last year and he was outstanding the playoffs....I even posted (after the WS) that Lester is an Ace

I still have my concerns but he is very valueable so I would like to keep him now (yes I changed my mind but he changed, not me) but I would be careful of years and amount.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts