Cherington Hints......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Cherington Hints......

Appearing on the WEEI's "Dennis & Callahan" on Thursday morning, Red Sox GM Ben Cherington responded to a hypothetical question on whether the team would move quickly on hiring a new manager should it decide to fire Bobby Valentine.

He didn't directly say anything about a decision on Valentine, but his response was curious.

"I'd always rather get the decision right rather than rush it," Cherington said. "But I think that what we know we need to do is hit the ground running in this offseason. One of the things, as I look back at last offseason, that didn't go perfectly was simply the amount of time that we spent on the manager search and what that did to the rest of the offseason. I would like to spend less time on it this offseason, that's for sure."

Cherington also addressed other issues facing the Red Sox this offseason, including David Ortiz's future in Boston, the possible hiring of Jason Varitek, and Jon Lester's disappointing season.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Cherington Hints......

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Before any manager decisions are made, Cherry needs to be fired as the incompetent he is.

[/QUOTE]

What inaction or action has Cherington done to harm this team? He made the biggest trade to improve the long term future Of Sox since Pedro Martinez was acquired for Carl Pavano and Tony Armas JR.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]

Before any manager decisions are made, Cherry needs to be fired as the incompetent he is.

[/QUOTE]

He is on his job only less than one year, and you wanted him to be fired?   GM Duke was fired in 2002 where he signed Damon, Manny, Wakefield, among others and traded for Pedro, Lowe and Veritek.  Half of the 2004 WS championship starting roster were Duke's players.  He took years to finally built a good team due the previous owner and John Henry finally let him to spent money.

In 2005-06 winter, Ben C and Hoyer was the interm GM while Theo was negotiating with the owner on renewing the contract.  During Ben C./Hoyner's three month terms, they traded for Beckett and Lowell, and won the 2007 WS.  

So really, these three GM's above other than Theo were the one built the WS contender team.  Not Theo!!!

Give Ben C some time.  If he take this team to go nowwhere after 2014 season, then he got to go!!

For now, I trust that guy more than Theo!!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A GM can't win with you T-Nix.  You rail incessantly about the "union slugs".  Then, you get a GM who doesn't bring in any more "union slugs" living high on the hog.  He then purges the squad of 3 of the 5 biggest "union slugs" on the Softy Hit List.  And now you want him fired.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!  Te problem Trot is that the Red Sox seem committed to this b@ob who many of us here know is not big enough for the job.  The guy is risk averse and he would rather keep the players he has than take a chance and try to improve the club from outside sources.  He is a total incompetent who if he was fired wouldn't come close to getting another GM job but might wind up in Chicago being Epstein's gofer as he was when Theo was running our team into the ground too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i remember arguing with so many folks on here about that delay in picking a manager and said it was a mistake and did not bode well for the sox...glad to see that Ben C acknowledged that and when he does fire BV, he replaces him swiftly and confidently...not like he did with francona's replacment...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i remember arguing with so many folks on here about that delay in picking a manager and said it was a mistake and did not bode well for the sox...glad to see that Ben C acknowledged that and when he does fire BV, he replaces him swiftly and confidently...not like he did with francona's replacment...

[/QUOTE]

Geo, the way last September unfolded, dictated the delay. There was so much fallout and aftermath, it took time for everyone to get a grip on the situation. If the FO has decided Valentine will be given his walking papers, they've already had more than enough time to assemble a short list of possible /probable replacments. They can get a jump on it, the day after the season ends.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The idea of hiring the manager quickly is just so they can have more time to give their full attention to player moves.  If they intend to fire Valentine , which seems to be the case , I am sure that they are already thinking about who they want to replace him. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the point DG was he screwed up last yr..and that indecisiveness carried over into the year with the lack of respect for Bv as manager, and support from the admin.....a lotof problems wouldve been avoided by picking BV quickly, giving him full authority and backjing him up....but BC never did that and now we have this mess...that is all on BC...and he learned from it..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

the point DG was he screwed up last yr..and that indecisiveness carried over into the year with the lack of respect for Bv as manager, and support from the admin.....a lotof problems wouldve been avoided by picking BV quickly, giving him full authority and backjing him up....but BC never did that and now we have this mess...that is all on BC...and he learned from it..

[/QUOTE]

Geo, Cherington did nothing but support BV publicly. If anyone is to blame it's LL. The lack of gaining players respect and open mouth, insert foot syndrome is all on Valentine. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It wasn't all on Ben Cherington, Georom...he wanted nothing to do with Bobby Valentine.  It's no great secret that Larry Lucchino was behind that move.  Ben will have a little more autonomy this winter with personnel decisions.  Let's see what he does...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

JB, it is exactly why BC needed to act swiftly after 2011...it was a disaster and needed to be put behind...instead we got nothing but rehashed stories about the collapse until almost Christmas (Bob Hohner???) when we could have been focusing on the next season...huge blunder by novice BC....rule number one, put bad news behind you, dont let it linger and fester (right Liz Warren??/)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

JB, it is exactly why BC needed to act swiftly after 2011...it was a disaster and needed to be put behind...instead we got nothing but rehashed stories about the collapse until almost Christmas (Bob Hohner???) when we could have been focusing on the next season...huge blunder by novice BC....rule number one, put bad news behind you, dont let it linger and fester (right Liz Warren??/)

[/QUOTE]

I agee, geo but I think that's more on ownership. LL is the one who said they would take their time and make sure they got the right man for the job. They did but they didnt 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agee, geo but I think that's more on ownership. LL is the one who said they would take their time and make sure they got the right man for the job. They did but they didnt 

[/QUOTE]

well it was ownership but BC is the GM and he has to take the blame....just like BV has to get axed for this season even though he was never dealt a fair hand...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

well it was ownership but BC is the GM and he has to take the blame....just like BV has to get axed for this season even though he was never dealt a fair hand...

[/QUOTE]

They're already moving forward and making changes. Jason Veritek was named special ass't to Ben Cherington, today. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Wasn't Tek the guy who held the team and clubhouse together all last September? Yes he would be a perfect addition, what  leadership.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I don't recall any rush to get rid of Valentine 4 months ago when there was still a team in place. I don't care who they hire now. As I've said many times, ANY PERSON IS AN IMPROVEMENT TO THE WORST MANAGER IN SOX HISTORY NOT NAMED JOE KERRIGAN.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Jimmy Williams was the worst. Kerrigan does not even count.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wasn't Tek the guy who held the team and clubhouse together all last September? Yes he would be a perfect addition, what  leadership.

[/QUOTE]

Be Carefull Jenny Dell........

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't recall any rush to get rid of Valentine 4 months ago when there was still a team in place. I don't care who they hire now. As I've said many times, ANY PERSON IS AN IMPROVEMENT TO THE WORST MANAGER IN SOX HISTORY NOT NAMED JOE KERRIGAN.

[/QUOTE]

I think this hire is VERY important. They need to pick someone who is not only strict and who insists on great baseball fundamentals, but who is media savvy and who can work well with the younger players who represent the future of the franchise. This is a key hire. It should be viewed as a long term commitment to a manager who will be with the club for years.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts