Cherington: Josh Beckett is a "foundational piece" for the future

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: Cherington: Josh Beckett is a "foundational piece" for the future

I am going to barf, barf on Cherrington. This insane bologna way of thinking is the reason the FO did nothing all winter long. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

If the Sox were run by the mafia then Beckett would indeed be "part of the foundation".

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

I'm not as negative as you all are. I know Beckett is a me me player, but as for being a cancer on this team but there are plenty of those players in MLB and with the right front office and manager those players can be controlled. If not then you trade or put them on the waiver wire. Beckett being a cancer on this team as well as Lackey is a product of the Boston media who specialize in growing a mountain out of a mole hill and too many suck it up a gospel. Beckett like Lester had a good season last year until his last bad start which unfortunately is what folks remember most. Lester has started to find his way back and Beckett might yet. I'm not a Beckett fan nor am I a Beckett hater, but to your dismay and scorn which I know you all will throw my way I give Beckett the rest of this year and Spring Training 2013 to turn it around. 

This season despite my hopes is gone and done unless a last minute miracle happens so it's up to Beckett like Lester to turn himself around. If Beckett can't, then trade him away but at this point he's not worth a bag of nickels, so it's a no lose situation with him for now, atleast until the end of this year and 2-13 ST. 

Bring on the scorn and dismay !! 
    Hetchinspete

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Bill I warned you that ownership/management didn't have the smarts/stones to get rid of Beckett as they should. At this rate there won't be any falling into the bay, just frustrating and ongoing mediocrity...

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

i think Cherington just wasnt going to throw anyone under the bus, nothing much else there

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Is he kidding?
    If this bum is here next season, forget the Boston Red Sox.
    His remaining will be a signal by the front office, that
    A. They don't care about winning.
    B. They don't care about their fans.
    This guy HAS to go, and if Cherington actually believes that pile of dung he served up this morning, then HE has to go!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxyjim. Show soxyjim's posts

when ben says this then he has to go also.take salty becket lackey and
    crawford with you.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Was he laughing when he said it? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

In Response to Re: Cherington: Josh Beckett is a "foundational piece" for the future:
    Is he kidding? If this bum is here next season, forget the Boston Red Sox. His remaining will be a signal by the front office, that A. They don't care about winning. B. They don't care about their fans. This guy HAS to go, and if Cherington actually believes that pile of dung he served up this morning, then HE has to go!
    Posted by rightymclefty

I totally agree with you. I've been a fan since '67, I've seen some winner front offices in my time but this takes the cake. I hope the sellout streak ends fast. I feel bad for having to pay good money to see garbage. I can't believe Cherington would even say something like this. Beckett has looked like garbage all year. football season can't come soon enough. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In Response to Re: Cherington: Josh Beckett is a "foundational piece" for the future:
    Was he laughing when he said it? 
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

YeP.. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

He pitched pretty well getting out of jams last night but was missing badly. Then he figured he could throw cookies to Ichiro without getting beat by him.
    I suppose having the rookie behind the plate didn't do much in the trust area.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

OK, so you are the GM.  You've got an underperforming guy with an exorbitant contract that is going to be very very difficult to move.  Do you:

A.  Tell the media that his time in Boston is done and he is not part of the future, thereby weakening any semblance of bargaining leverage you might have, and also making the situation in 2013 completely untenable if you cannot move him.

B.  Talk about him as a foundational piece, thereby:  strengthening your bluff, and also creating a tenable environment in the case that you are stuck with the guy.

Which do you choose?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

OK, so you are the GM.  You've got an underperforming guy with an exorbitant contract that is going to be very very difficult to move.  Do you: A.  Tell the media that his time in Boston is done and he is not part of the future, thereby weakening any semblance of bargaining leverage you might have, and also making the situation in 2013 completely untenable if you cannot move him. B.  Talk about him as a foundational piece, thereby:  strengthening your bluff, and also creating a tenable environment in the case that you are stuck with the guy. Which do you choose?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

That's a well presented question.  However, I think there may be a credibility problem with what Cherington said.  You see through it right away, and so will most fans and obviously other GM's.  The only way Beckett can actually rehabilitate his value, IMO, is on the field.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Cherington: Josh Beckett is a "foundational piece" for the future : That's a well presented question.  However, I think there may be a credibility problem with what Cherington said.  You see through it right away, and so will most fans and obviously other GM's.  The only way Beckett can actually rehabilitate his value, IMO, is on the field.  
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Agreed Hfx.  Of course, the veneer is thin.  But, my point is, no rational GM is going to show his cards on this one, no matter what people say about him.  Just makes no sense to say anything other than "Josh Beckett is an important part of this team".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

foundation piece as in put his body in cement.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

What I don't get is that if Beckett wants out of here, why can't he pull it together long enough to up the likelihood of his departure?  Josh - pitch well enough to up your trade value.  The Sox aren't gonna eat that contract just to get rid of him.    

Does he want out of here?  Does he care?  Is he simply done as a viable top of the rotation player?  My fear is that he's lost his effectiveness and either doesn't care if he gets it back or is in denial that he can. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Motown9009. Show Motown9009's posts

Nobody wants to take on his contract with him pitching the way he is and the team doesn't want to eat the money - that's why he's a foundational piece.

Sections
Shortcuts