Cherington lying in the weeds waiting to spring a trade for Matt Kemp?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

Cherington lying in the weeds waiting to spring a trade for Matt Kemp?

It looks to me like the Sox roster is pretty well set. They are in a great position to deal from a position of strength, not desperation. I think something is brewing for Matt Kemp. His bat would look real good behind Papi in the lineup. If they can get the Dodgers to pick up some of the contract and avoid trading their elite prospects, this seems like a deal they have to consider. What would it take to get him? Would they take one of Dempster, Peavy, Doubrant plus a couple prospects (maybe Ranaudo and Lavarnway)? This is one to watch for once the meetings start.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

Re: Cherington lying in the weeds waiting to spring a trade for Matt Kemp?

http://fenwayrefugees.com/posts/35553

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

My prediction is the Red Sox trade for him by Christmas. I think the deal will involve either Peavy, Dempster, or Doubront, along with Lavarnway, Daniel Nava to be their 4th outfielder, and another 2 medium level prospects. With the Dodgers eating 5 - 7 million a year making it 6 years - 98 million to 6 years - 84 million. Not bad in todays market for a potential 30 - 30 guy. Even if he was a 20 - 20 guy with a decent OBP.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

They want a 3b...Middy or Cecchini.

Kemps injuries really worry me and hes 30yo now. Id rather hold on to both of our 3bman

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Why do we want a BIG $$$$ Dodger who spends more time off the field than most ageing stars !!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Why do we want a BIG $$$$ Dodger who spends more time off the field than most ageing stars !!

Funny, you and the ghost of your dad are supposedly hanging with the GM, why do you need to ask this question then?

Needless to say, a healthy Matt Kemp would be the perfect replacement in CF for Ellsbury and his RH bat would wreak havoc at Fenway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Kemps injuries really worry me and hes 30yo now. Id rather hold on to both of our 3bman

Me, too, paw. WMB has had 2 half seasons, in MLB. The first, he played so well, it forced the organization to trade another homegrown player and fan favorite, Youk, and crowned the star of the future.  The second, he started, was sent down to AAA, and played much better when he returned. Hard to gauge it, at this point. I'd hold on to him, give him another shot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Me, too, paw. WMB has had 2 half seasons, in MLB. The first, he played so well, it forced the organization to trade another homegrown player and fan favorite, Youk, and crowned the star of the future.  The second, he started, was sent down to AAA, and played much better when he returned. Hard to gauge it, at this point. I'd hold on to him, give him another shot.

exactly...between the experts on this board who want to get rid of young talent because they have no patients (Middy) and the ones who think they know more than professional scouts (The whole Xander is a 3bman crowd), it just amazes me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-1209-dodgers-20131209,0,4277030.story#axzz2mwDrKzY2

"I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen," said Dave Stewart, the former major league pitcher who represents Kemp.

Stewart noted that Kemp's possible departure has been rumored for more than a month.

"I haven't heard a player's name floated around like that and something not happen," Stewart said.

Stewart revealed that Kemp was less than truthful when he insisted his surgically repaired left shoulder didn't bother him.

"Any time he tried to lift weights, it caused irritation," Stewart said. "He went the whole season without any upper-body work."

The condition of the shoulder has improved dramatically as a result of a procedure Kemp underwent in early October. With Kemp back to lifting weights, Stewart anticipates his trademark power will return. Kemp hit a career-high 40 home runs in 2011.

Kemp is also recovering from an ankle operation. Although he is still wearing a walking boot as a precaution, he has started weight-bearing exercises on his ankle.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Ben Cherington should get out of the weeds.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to tripleb2066's comment:

It looks to me like the Sox roster is pretty well set. They are in a great position to deal from a position of strength, not desperation. I think something is brewing for Matt Kemp. His bat would look real good behind Papi in the lineup. If they can get the Dodgers to pick up some of the contract and avoid trading their elite prospects, this seems like a deal they have to consider. What would it take to get him? Would they take one of Dempster, Peavy, Doubrant plus a couple prospects (maybe Ranaudo and Lavarnway)? This is one to watch for once the meetings start.

I can't tell you what it would take to get him, but I can tell you who I wouldn't mind parting ways with on the roster:

Britton, Lavarnway, RDLR, Mookie Betts, Middlebrooks, Webster, Dan Butler, Brock Holt, Dempster, Marrero, Gomes, Wright, Ranaudo, Morales, Wilson, Hassan, Villarreal and Castellanos

I purposely ommitted Nava and Carp because they give us some cost controlled bench bats that we will be needing to field a competitive team who can play multiple positions.   They can also be starters in case of injury to Kemp, Ortiz or Napoli.  We will also need them to act as starters while Kemp heals up from his two offseason surgeries. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

I can't tell you what it would take to get him, but I can tell you who I wouldn't mind parting ways with on the roster:

Britton, Lavarnway, RDLR, Mookie Betts, Middlebrooks, Webster, Dan Butler, Brock Holt, Dempster, Marrero, Gomes, Wright, Ranaudo, Morales, Wilson, Hassan, Villarreal and Castellanos

I purposely ommitted Nava and Carp because they give us some cost controlled bench bats that we will be needing to field a competitive team who can play multiple positions.   They can also be starters in case of injury to Kemp, Ortiz or Napoli.  We will also need them to act as starters while Kemp heals up from his two offseason surgeries. 

Very interesting concept and I was amazed how many players I agreed with you on. I guess its a combination of need and over ratedness.

My disagreements were Betts, Merrero and Hassan. I understand why you probably had Betts on their[blocked]. My only problem is he might be my favorite prospect. I wish we could create a new position for him to squeze him onto the team somehow. Anyway, I think I wouldn't trade him until he becomes a top 50 prospect. I think Merrero and Hassan are under rated aswell. I think Hassan will eventually find his way into an effective major leaguer like Nava has. I see more potential with Hassan.

The guys I feel I would add to your list are Brian Johnson, Bryce Brentz and maybe Peavy because I was disapointed in his playoff performance.

As for the red hot trade candidates.....Lavarnway-Morales-Dempster-Wright-Wilson-RDLR.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Why do we want a BIG $$$$ Dodger who spends more time off the field than most ageing stars !!"

Because your bro softy loves him?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Nava is, & has been a hell of a lot more than a "cost control bench bat!"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[/QUOTE]

Very interesting concept and I was amazed how many players I agreed with you on. I guess its a combination of need and over ratedness.

My disagreements were Betts, Merrero and Hassan. I understand why you probably had Betts on their[blocked]. My only problem is he might be my favorite prospect. I wish we could create a new position for him to squeze him onto the team somehow. Anyway, I think I wouldn't trade him until he becomes a top 50 prospect. I think Merrero and Hassan are under rated aswell. I think Hassan will eventually find his way into an effective major leaguer like Nava has. I see more potential with Hassan.

The guys I feel I would add to your list are Brian Johnson, Bryce Brentz and maybe Peavy because I was disapointed in his playoff performance.

As for the red hot trade candidates.....Lavarnway-Morales-Dempster-Wright-Wilson-RDLR.

[/QUOTE]

Neither Johnson or Brentz are currently on the 40 man roster and I was focusing on those players because we have 41 players on the list after adding Napoli and there is a crunch. 

I can see why you say Peavy, but we all know he is a better pitcher than Dempster and is 32 years old vs. 37.  We have a chance to make Peavy a QO and take a draft pick for him, no chance with that for Dempster.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

I agree with you and I am a strong supporter of Nava.  I didn't mean to disrepect him as I love his at bats.  If you trade for Kemp, Nava will be relegated to more of a bench role if Kemp is healthy and producing.  That said, Nava will likely outhit Kemp and earn more at bats while he nurses his body back from injury.  It will take Kemp at least a year to get his shoulder back to anything like it once was.  Kemp can also slide over to right field as well as center and backup Victorino.  I'm not sure he can still man center, but Nava will get his at bats if he keeps producing somehow.

This move would be made for an eye on the futuer if it was to be made.  Kemp has a chance to get back to being one of the best outfielders in the game, but it won't be in year one for sure.  The type of injury he had in his shoulder takes a year to get close to what you were if you ever get back there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

I'd do the deal in a hearbeat for the right players.  Problem is...they want pitching and an infielder.  You have to figure that the conversation starts with Lackey and Middlebrooks then goes from there.  Would I give up both of them for Kemp?  Nope.  I'd hang onto Lackey (can't believe I just said that after the first few years....).  Middy and Peavey?  Maybe....   Middy, Dempster and a higher pitching prospect not names Owens?  YEP!!  SIGN ME UP.  Heck, give them Webster or RDLR back?

The potential is there for Kemp to be EXCELLENT.  Yes he has been injured but before the injuries he played a ton.  Pretty good chance to get a great player at a low price...especially if LA pays a bunch of his salary.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to HailToTheKing's comment:

I'd do the deal in a hearbeat for the right players.  Problem is...they want pitching and an infielder.  You have to figure that the conversation starts with Lackey and Middlebrooks then goes from there.  Would I give up both of them for Kemp?  Nope.  I'd hang onto Lackey (can't believe I just said that after the first few years....).  Middy and Peavey?  Maybe....   Middy, Dempster and a higher pitching prospect not names Owens?  YEP!!  SIGN ME UP.  Heck, give them Webster or RDLR back?

The potential is there for Kemp to be EXCELLENT.  Yes he has been injured but before the injuries he played a ton.  Pretty good chance to get a great player at a low price...especially if LA pays a bunch of his salary.

Dodgers have Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu, Haren, Billingsly and Beckett for starters.  We would need a third team if we were to trade any starters.  We don't match there.  They do however want a bullpen arm.  They could also use a third baseman.  To me that is Miller, Morales, Middlebrooks to start.  If we add in starters, there needs to be another team.

They also have nothing for prospects, so I'm sure they would be open to simply buying ours from us if they were for sale.  That's why I gave so many names... they would feel like they restocked the farm if they ate enough salary.  I'm sure the Sox have a known dollar amount on players and prospects and would be willing to sell off ones that don't fit where the team is moving in the future.  If they said point blank, we will give you $10 million extra if we can get Ranuado or $20 million for Bradley for example, it is a way to take advantage of a huge bank account and no farm.  They could literally buy a farm system this way and I'm surprised the Yanks haven't done it more in the past.  Eat a huge contract yourself and trade for prospects.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"Why do we want a BIG $$$$ Dodger who spends more time off the field than most ageing stars !!"

Because your bro softy loves him?

Loved* He has said while he is still a better fit and value that ship has sail. He won't explain why other than the he wouldn't want to have to deal with the board if Kemp ended up on the 60 Day DL.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I really don't think Kemp is worth the cost in prospects and would doubt that Marrero or Betts would be included in any trade for him. Kemp was jobbed out of an MVP in 2011 but that doesn't make him that valuable considering the last two seasons he's been hanging out in rehab. I also know that the Dodgers are trying to open space on their roster for Pederson their future CF, so another Outfielder isn't what they need. I don't know that the Dodgers are in the market for a Ryan Dempster or a Jake Peavy, at any rate the Sox can just sign Hart and get a consistant RHB, or if they want to platoon Bradley they can just sign Rajai Davis and be done with it.

If they would take Middlebrooks and lower level prospects and eat about 28 mil off the top of the monster contract maybe they make a deal.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It would certainly take some prospects to acquire Kemp. It would all depend on which prospects they would take, how anxious they are to move him , and how much of his salary they would eat. This is why it is better to sign free agents than to try to improve through trades. It would be very nice to get Kemp, but at what cost?  I don't understand why some think that Dempster has any trade appeal. I would think that we would be happy to simply unload his contract. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to JohnnyLefty's comment:

My prediction is the Red Sox trade for him by Christmas. I think the deal will involve either Peavy, Dempster, or Doubront, along with Lavarnway, Daniel Nava to be their 4th outfielder, and another 2 medium level prospects. With the Dodgers eating 5 - 7 million a year making it 6 years - 98 million to 6 years - 84 million. Not bad in todays market for a potential 30 - 30 guy. Even if he was a 20 - 20 guy with a decent OBP.

I hope we don't lose Nava. He has really helped the team in so many situations. I don't think he gets the credit he deserves.

Having said that, if he can wind up on a team that plays him all the time, I would be OK with that. He deserves it, and has earned it. JMO

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Ben Cherington should get out of the weeds.

LOL.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

Totally agree.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

OK>>>> might be back to hating the idea of trading for Kemp again

I think you guys are really underestimating the effects of Kemp's lengthy injury history here. This isn't like Ellsbury where he just had a broken bone that needed to heal, and now it's as good as new. This isn't even like Tommy John surgery which is traumatic but has a long history of success and a well-established rehab routine.

This is multiple shoulder injuries (including a torn labrum and damage to the A/C joint), which is widely regarded as one of the most career-threatening injuries a baseball player can suffer. These two links mainly discuss it in the context of pitchers, but such an injury is equally devastating for hitters. Kemp's left shoulder is his lead shoulder, and recovering from that injury will cause significant disruption to his hitting mechanics. Adrian Gonzalez and Jacoby Ellsbury had similar, but less serious repairs on their shoulders, and both have struggled to hit with the same power since coming back. Gonzalez's home run rate is way down even 2+ years after his surgery (his recent HR/FB is literally half of what it was during his peak years), and while it's too early to tell with Ellsbury, he struggled to drive the ball in the first half of the year as well. (By the way, this is the same injury Kalish had, which is why I think why wishcasting him as the same prospect he was is a fool's errand.)

That's not even to mention the ankle injury which required a microfracture procedure to his ankle, which only has a 75-85% success rate (that success rate goes down with age, by the way). Even if it "succeeds", the microfracture procedure adds a thin layer of fibrocartilage to protect the talus dome, but that new cartilage often starts to break down again within 2-3 years because it isn't as strong as the kind you're born with. If that happens and he suffers a talus dome fracture, his career is over.

Oh yeah, and have I mentioned the chronic soft-tissue injuries? He's pulled his hamstring multiple times (September 2013, May 2012, Spring Training 2012), and that's the kind of injury that's going to pop up again and again.

Yes, Kemp was a fabulously talented player back in 2011, before this whole ordeal started. But he's suffered three distinct injuries since then that are the sort that never go away. This isn't a question of "trade for him if he's healthy", because with the injuries he's suffered, there's no such thing as "fully healthy" for him anymore. He'll never be that guy again, because a surgically-repaired shoulder and a post-microfracture ankle and a chronically sore hamstring don't just magically go away with treatment. Sure, you can take the chance that he can manage those injuries well enough to stay on the field, but even then, the best-case scenario is that he's 80% of the guy he was but with the threat of a career-ending ankle injury forever hanging over his head. I really can't fathom committing six years and $15m+ to a player with a risk profile like that.

Read more: http://forum.soxprospects.com/thread/1369/2013-offseason-red-sox-thread?page=62#ixzz2mxEwD88L

Sections
Shortcuts