Cherington lying in the weeds waiting to spring a trade for Matt Kemp?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Re: Cherington lying in the weeds waiting to spring a trade for Matt Kemp?

i hope we can get kemp...if  the dodgers eat some money i'm all for it...his bat in our lineup..man i would love to see that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/33710/who-could-be-moving-at-winter-meetings

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxhero2. Show bosoxhero2's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tripleb2066's comment:

It looks to me like the Sox roster is pretty well set. They are in a great position to deal from a position of strength, not desperation. I think something is brewing for Matt Kemp. His bat would look real good behind Papi in the lineup. If they can get the Dodgers to pick up some of the contract and avoid trading their elite prospects, this seems like a deal they have to consider. What would it take to get him? Would they take one of Dempster, Peavy, Doubrant plus a couple prospects (maybe Ranaudo and Lavarnway)? This is one to watch for once the meetings start. why rubby,webster and raunado?all three are good live arms.unless you get a lot back for them i don't see trading them.

I can't tell you what it would take to get him, but I can tell you who I wouldn't mind parting ways with on the roster:

Britton, Lavarnway, RDLR, Mookie Betts, Middlebrooks, Webster, Dan Butler, Brock Holt, Dempster, Marrero, Gomes, Wright, Ranaudo, Morales, Wilson, Hassan, Villarreal and Castellanos

I purposely ommitted Nava and Carp because they give us some cost controlled bench bats that we will be needing to field a competitive team who can play multiple positions.   They can also be starters in case of injury to Kemp, Ortiz or Napoli.  We will also need them to act as starters while Kemp heals up from his two offseason surgeries. 

[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

OK>>>> might be back to hating the idea of trading for Kemp again

I think you guys are really underestimating the effects of Kemp's lengthy injury history here. This isn't like Ellsbury where he just had a broken bone that needed to heal, and now it's as good as new. This isn't even like Tommy John surgery which is traumatic but has a long history of success and a well-established rehab routine.

This is multiple shoulder injuries (including a torn labrum and damage to the A/C joint), which is widely regarded as one of the most career-threatening injuries a baseball player can suffer. These two links mainly discuss it in the context of pitchers, but such an injury is equally devastating for hitters. Kemp's left shoulder is his lead shoulder, and recovering from that injury will cause significant disruption to his hitting mechanics. Adrian Gonzalez and Jacoby Ellsbury had similar, but less serious repairs on their shoulders, and both have struggled to hit with the same power since coming back. Gonzalez's home run rate is way down even 2+ years after his surgery (his recent HR/FB is literally half of what it was during his peak years), and while it's too early to tell with Ellsbury, he struggled to drive the ball in the first half of the year as well. (By the way, this is the same injury Kalish had, which is why I think why wishcasting him as the same prospect he was is a fool's errand.)

That's not even to mention the ankle injury which required a microfracture procedure to his ankle, which only has a 75-85% success rate (that success rate goes down with age, by the way). Even if it "succeeds", the microfracture procedure adds a thin layer of fibrocartilage to protect the talus dome, but that new cartilage often starts to break down again within 2-3 years because it isn't as strong as the kind you're born with. If that happens and he suffers a talus dome fracture, his career is over.

Oh yeah, and have I mentioned the chronic soft-tissue injuries? He's pulled his hamstring multiple times (September 2013, May 2012, Spring Training 2012), and that's the kind of injury that's going to pop up again and again.

Yes, Kemp was a fabulously talented player back in 2011, before this whole ordeal started. But he's suffered three distinct injuries since then that are the sort that never go away. This isn't a question of "trade for him if he's healthy", because with the injuries he's suffered, there's no such thing as "fully healthy" for him anymore. He'll never be that guy again, because a surgically-repaired shoulder and a post-microfracture ankle and a chronically sore hamstring don't just magically go away with treatment. Sure, you can take the chance that he can manage those injuries well enough to stay on the field, but even then, the best-case scenario is that he's 80% of the guy he was but with the threat of a career-ending ankle injury forever hanging over his head. I really can't fathom committing six years and $15m+ to a player with a risk profile like that.

Read more: http://forum.soxprospects.com/thread/1369/2013-offseason-red-sox-thread?page=62#ixzz2mxEwD88L

[/QUOTE]

^^THIS^^

No way. People remember Kemps bat a few years ago. Hes NOT that guy anymore and never will be. Move on people.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

No way. People remember Kemps bat a few years ago. Hes NOT that guy anymore and never will be. Move on people.

To be honest, I knew he had missed a lot of time the last 2 seasons, but I did not realize the extent of the injuries he's had, how many surgeries, etc. I had found the idea tempting at the very least, but having read a little bit more about what he's gone through the last couple of years, I agree the risk is just too great.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

If you trade for Kemp plan to put him on the 60 Day DL and perhaps don't plan on him until at least the All Star break. I would not put him on the field until the guy is 100 % healthy.

I would not be hoping for much salary relief----there will be several other teams out there interested as well.

Ethier appeared to have medical issues of his own. In addition , though a friend of Pedroia, is not nearly the talent Kemp is when healthy. Cespedes may be the guy we should focus on. He is not the favorite he was during the courting period in Oakland---he is a talent and Billy Beane seems to like a player like Nava and could use a 3 B and might take on Peavy/ or scratch the three and go with Lackey and Nava and a prospect for Cespedes.

Or Bill has been hoping for a Blockbuster since last March---Cespedes, Lowrie and Brett Anderson for Lackey, WMB, Nava, Betts and a minor league reliever.  Cespedes hanging around guys like Ortiz, Nap, Ross, AJ, Pedroia will probably be the player he was brought to Oakland to be--a superstar---he is as close to a 5 tool guy as there is on the market. Put him in the 3 hole with Ortiz and Nap batting 5 Xander 6---that could be a tough middle of the order.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think you guys are really underestimating the effects of Kemp's lengthy injury history here. This isn't like Ellsbury where he just had a broken bone that needed to heal, and now it's as good as new. This isn't even like Tommy John surgery which is traumatic but has a long history of success and a well-established rehab routine.

This is multiple shoulder injuries (including a torn labrum and damage to the A/C joint), which is widely regarded as one of the most career-threatening injuries a baseball player can suffer. These two links mainly discuss it in the context of pitchers, but such an injury is equally devastating for hitters. Kemp's left shoulder is his lead shoulder, and recovering from that injury will cause significant disruption to his hitting mechanics. Adrian Gonzalez and Jacoby Ellsbury had similar, but less serious repairs on their shoulders, and both have struggled to hit with the same power since coming back. Gonzalez's home run rate is way down even 2+ years after his surgery (his recent HR/FB is literally half of what it was during his peak years), and while it's too early to tell with Ellsbury, he struggled to drive the ball in the first half of the year as well. (By the way, this is the same injury Kalish had, which is why I think why wishcasting him as the same prospect he was is a fool's errand.)

That's not even to mention the ankle injury which required a microfracture procedure to his ankle, which only has a 75-85% success rate (that success rate goes down with age, by the way). Even if it "succeeds", the microfracture procedure adds a thin layer of fibrocartilage to protect the talus dome, but that new cartilage often starts to break down again within 2-3 years because it isn't as strong as the kind you're born with. If that happens and he suffers a talus dome fracture, his career is over.

Oh yeah, and have I mentioned the chronic soft-tissue injuries? He's pulled his hamstring multiple times (September 2013, May 2012, Spring Training 2012), and that's the kind of injury that's going to pop up again and again.

Yes, Kemp was a fabulously talented player back in 2011, before this whole ordeal started. But he's suffered three distinct injuries since then that are the sort that never go away. This isn't a question of "trade for him if he's healthy", because with the injuries he's suffered, there's no such thing as "fully healthy" for him anymore. He'll never be that guy again, because a surgically-repaired shoulder and a post-microfracture ankle and a chronically sore hamstring don't just magically go away with treatment. Sure, you can take the chance that he can manage those injuries well enough to stay on the field, but even then, the best-case scenario is that he's 80% of the guy he was but with the threat of a career-ending ankle injury forever hanging over his head. I really can't fathom committing six years and $15m+ to a player with a risk profile like that.

Read more: http://forum.soxprospects.com/thread/1369/2013-offseason-red-sox-thread?page=62#ixzz2mxEwD88L

[/QUOTE]

^^THIS^^

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Now Stanton is a guy worth talking about.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

While I appreciate the Dr's report.....why not try to trade for him....then let the team Dr.'s give him a looksie?  I'm pretty sure after what happened to Napps last year that they are going to go over him with a fine tooth comb.....and I trust that a lot more than copying and pasting from the internet......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

There are teams calling Ned for Ethier.  If Ned likes what he sees for Ethier and gets the trade done quickly, Kemp is not going anywhere.  It's not just Sox and Dodgers talking about Kemp.    

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

NO on KEMP ......  Ben has all the chips..... OK to use some, but be smart about it !!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

^^THIS^^

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Now Stanton is a guy worth talking about.

[/QUOTE]

Stanton has had his share of soft tissue injuries as well. Obviously not near the level of Kemp, but hes had 1 season with over 123 games played in his 4 years. Id wait to bid on him in 3 years when hes a FA. Hes not expesnsive for the Fish this year, so the haul of prospects would be enormous. Next year he should be officially made available by the team, unless someone wants to foolishly empty their farm before then. The Sox wont do that this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

To be honest, I knew he had missed a lot of time the last 2 seasons, but I did not realize the extent of the injuries he's had, how many surgeries, etc. I had found the idea tempting at the very least, but having read a little bit more about what he's gone through the last couple of years, I agree the risk is just too great.

[/QUOTE]

I was not aware of the extent of his injuries withe  probably becasue the Dodgers were alwasy rushing to get him back out there, but that said, if the Sox are aware of it, it doesnt preculde them trading for him it just changes what the price would be...if he is so fragile and unlikely to play much next year and there after, the Dodgers would be glad to eat half the contract and take lesser prospects....and the risk to the Sox becomes minimal...especially since they could play him in a small left field and eventually at the DH position.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

They want a 3b...Middy or Cecchini.

Kemps injuries really worry me and hes 30yo now. Id rather hold on to both of our 3bman

[/QUOTE]

Me, too, paw. WMB has had 2 half seasons, in MLB. The first, he played so well, it forced the organization to trade another homegrown player and fan favorite, Youk, and crowned the star of the future.  The second, he started, was sent down to AAA, and played much better when he returned. Hard to gauge it, at this point. I'd hold on to him, give him another shot.

[/QUOTE]

exactly...between the experts on this board who want to get rid of young talent because they have no patients (Middy) and the ones who think they know more than professional scouts (The whole Xander is a 3bman crowd), it just amazes me.

[/QUOTE]

To many ?'s to be trading young prospects for Kemp. If he was healthy and wanted to trade a top prospect for him go ahead. But the fan experts who want to trade a top prospects + Doubront or other are out of there minds. We lost Damon and Ells stepped in turned out pretty well, now Ells gone and we have another top prospect who most would agree has nothing to prove in AAA. Lets give him a shot first before we start trading top prospects for a guy who hasn't been on the field the last 2 yrs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

I really like the idea of rebuilding their farm through blocked prospects...Betts, Lavarnway, WMB, Morales, etc.  In exchange for eating alot of the contract, and therefore alot of the risk.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Kemp definitely has the talent to dream on in the lineup....but with his contract and injury history I don't know how anyone in their right mind would want to trade for him.  It appears that more and more of us are learning about his injury woes and coming around to the reality that he is NOT a guy we should pursue. 

Stanton is starting to scare me as well. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Be careful what you wish for. Colletti said this morning the Dodgers are not looking for salary relief. Meaning Trading Team will take on most or all of his salary. Same with Ethier.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Be careful what you wish for. Colletti said this morning the Dodgers are not looking for salary relief. Meaning Trading Team will take on most or all of his salary. Same with Ethier.

[/QUOTE]

Saw that too......I'm a HUGE supporter of trading for Kemp......but ONLY if we get salary relief.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to HailToTheKing's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Saw that too......I'm a HUGE supporter of trading for Kemp......but ONLY if we get salary relief.

[/QUOTE]

If they are looking for salary relief, they are going to want prospects in return.  There is risk involved with his injury history just as there is risk with prospects, but Kemp has a MLB track record of being one of the best players when healthy....they aren't going to dump the salary without something in return.

So why trade away a bunch of prospects that could potentially fill 2-4 holes in the future for 1 guy that has a high probability of seeing a dramatic decline in production and playing time?  It's like paying to not have any depth.

His recent injury history is in line with the types of injurys that often slow down and derail a guys career, and he will be in his 30's shortly.

Kemp could very well be the next Grady Siezemore. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to tripleb2066's comment:

I purposely ommitted Nava and Carp because they give us some cost controlled bench bats

[/QUOTE]

Would that be the same "bench bat" Nava that finished 2013 in the top 10 in BA, OBP, and OPS?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Even if there is no salary relief coming from the other side in a trade---there is salary relief coming from the players BenC is moving.

Obviously if one of the pieces going is Peavy or Lackey--that's about $14 M---then WMB or a couple of prospect that's another M.

I would be more inclined to look at Cuddyer in exchange for Peavy or Lackey or Buch-- and expanding the trade a bit to include perhaps  Carp or Nava for another player that makes sense to the Sox.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to MadMc1944's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you trade for Kemp plan to put him on the 60 Day DL and perhaps don't plan on him until at least the All Star break. I would not put him on the field until the guy is 100 % healthy.

I would not be hoping for much salary relief----there will be several other teams out there interested as well.

Ethier appeared to have medical issues of his own. In addition , though a friend of Pedroia, is not nearly the talent Kemp is when healthy. Cespedes may be the guy we should focus on. He is not the favorite he was during the courting period in Oakland---he is a talent and Billy Beane seems to like a player like Nava and could use a 3 B and might take on Peavy/ or scratch the three and go with Lackey and Nava and a prospect for Cespedes.

Or Bill has been hoping for a Blockbuster since last March---Cespedes, Lowrie and Brett Anderson for Lackey, WMB, Nava, Betts and a minor league reliever.  Cespedes hanging around guys like Ortiz, Nap, Ross, AJ, Pedroia will probably be the player he was brought to Oakland to be--a superstar---he is as close to a 5 tool guy as there is on the market. Put him in the 3 hole with Ortiz and Nap batting 5 Xander 6---that could be a tough middle of the order.

[/QUOTE]

I actually really enjoy the idea of picking up Lowrie somehow.  When he was coming through the system, I recall noticing how close his numbers were to Pedroia's when he came through the ranks at the same age.  Injuries put him on a sidebar, but I am not sure that this team is stronger with him at short and Xander moved to third.  WMB has a real chance of being more productive with the bat, especially given his power potential.  The other problem is that Lowrie is arb elig. so he will be getting expensive soon.

I think Cespedes is on the market because he was only half as valuable as he was last year in terms of WAR.  If the A's feel as thought he will further regress or want to sell on him high before he has another subpar year... it would certainly be a good time to do it.  He is getting paid $8.5 mil this year and $10.5 mil each of the next two year.  With a WAR going from 3.2 to 1.6, I'm sure they don't see value in him as they did before. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to HailToTheKing's comment:

While I appreciate the Dr's report.....why not try to trade for him....then let the team Dr.'s give him a looksie?  I'm pretty sure after what happened to Napps last year that they are going to go over him with a fine tooth comb.....and I trust that a lot more than copying and pasting from the internet......

I love explaining in depth and then somebody goes, why not try to trade for him?  It's like that quote in Zoolander after asking, "but why male models" getting a long explaination as to why male models are the perfect assasinations from David Duchovny and Zoolander says....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUvgqItrt1c

Sections
Shortcuts