Cherington must go

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Cherington must go

In Response to Re: Cherington must go:
    Such is the way of the forum. Forums draws many idiots who come here merely to pretend. Softlaw himself has been labeled as a pretender by Moonslav repeatedly but yet Monnslav likes to do battle with him. Monnslav allegedly despises Softlaw but yet he cannot live without him. Being entertained trumps everything else. Same with Burrito, the forum is his Jerry Springer show.
    Posted by UticaClub
    JUST WHAT THIS BOARD NEEDS .... OUR OWN DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY/LIB/RAD/SOC/MOONBAT !!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedGatorSox. Show RedGatorSox's posts

The Sox are reported to be receiving the Phillies 1st round pick plus a sandwich round pick for the Phils signing Papelbon. 

The new free agent compensation rules now take effect and the Sox will NOT lose any picks if they sign Madsen, Heath Bell or K-Rod as their new closer, potentially resulting in a net of 2 high draft picks and savings of millions of dollars in a lesser contract than Paps signed.  For those that have been whining about Ben not having made any moves yet ths offseason, maybe he really had a smart plan in place that required waiting a bit.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7271995/compensation-rule-change-benefit-boston-red-sox

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

If the rest of has had more self-control this thread would have zero responses, and be on page 4 already. Instead we all ran right into the trap like eager mice after the cheese.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Why does Bill-806 label deep thought as being liberal and simplistic rants as being conservative? Isn't that shooting oneself in the foot?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Why does Bill-806 label deep thought as being liberal and simplistic rants as being conservative? Isn't that shooting oneself in the foot?
    Posted by UticaClub
     "LET ME BE CLEAR",   BECAUSE "DEEP THOUGHT" IS USUALLY AT OTHER PEOPLES EXPENSE !!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

That's pretty drastic, isn't it. I mean, the guy just got his key to the executive men's room. Let's wait to see if he can find it before we label him incompetent.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

cherington must go???  He just got here.

Personally, I thought Lucchino should go.  Afterall, he runs the Red Sox.  Ultimately, he's responsible for the bad trades, bad free agent signings, lack of depth in the rotation, the manager losing the clubhouse. 

Evidently, if it involved the team and he didn't initiate it, then he certainly signed off on it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I think we should fire Valentine!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Cherington must go:
    He's not Theo -not by a long shot and Lucchino is leading him by the nose. The guy can't make a decision and is flat out awful, get rid of him now
    Posted by jader

What are you talking about?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I agree wholeheartedly with Jader.  Here are the facts:

He didn't pony up 4 years and record cash for a closer on the wrong side of 30 and clearly on the downslope of his closer shelflife.  

He didn't jump to give multi years and 10+ mil per to a 36 year old DH.

He didn't even jump in the mix at all to sign any so-so outfield platooners for big FA money.

AND, to make matters worse, he didn't rush to ink an inexperienced manager.

HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO MAINTAIN A BLOATED, OVERPAID, UNDERACHIEVING REPUTATION WITH A GUY WHO IS NOT DOING ANYTHING TO UPHOLD IT?!?!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Yeah he failed to signed Papelbon or Nathan or Thome or Sizemore!!!  Also he is so far not even negotiating with Pujols, Fielder, Reyes, Wilson, etc.  Yeah it is all his fault!!!!  He got to go!!

Oh wait...would the payroll exceed over 250 million dollars if he make all these moves??  

Come on, kid!!  These free agents are way over-rated except maybe Pujols and Fielder.  That is about it!!!!!  Samething that happened last year!!!  Name one player from the top 50 free agents ranking have made a big impact with their new team or old team??  I cant even name one!!   If you look at the MVP voting for this year on both leagues, not even one last year free agent player made in the top ten to fifteen for both voting poll except Lance Berkman!!

You re right that this kid is only 10 years old.....maybe not even 10 yet!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Keeping Papelbon would have been nice, but not with a four year contract for move than $50M.  Besides, Pap needed to move to the NL for his own preservation. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I agree wholeheartedly with Jader.  Here are the facts: He didn't pony up 4 years and record cash for a closer on the wrong side of 30 and clearly on the downslope of his closer shelflife.   He didn't jump to give multi years and 10+ mil per to a 36 year old DH. He didn't even jump in the mix at all to sign any so-so outfield platooners for big FA money. AND, to make matters worse, he didn't rush to ink an inexperienced manager. HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO MAINTAIN A BLOATED, OVERPAID, UNDERACHIEVING REPUTATION WITH A GUY WHO IS NOT DOING ANYTHING TO UPHOLD IT?!?!
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Funny reply Spaceman!  I agree that part of Ben's job is to not over react just so he can be perceived as "getting things done".  There are some moves to be made and I'd rather they be done with some thought rather than the usual "let's throw money at it" approach. 

As an aside, I heard last night Massarotti or someone confirm that while the Sox will get two 1st rounders for Papelbon as a type A, other closers/relievers currently on the market will require no draft pick compensation under the new MLB CBA rules.  So whomever they're chasing is a straight cash acquisition, which to me says that they'll bring a decent replacement for #58 or a good setup man for Bard. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Cherington must go : Funny reply Spaceman!  I agree that part of Ben's job is to not over react just so he can be perceived as "getting things done".  There are some moves to be made and I'd rather they be done with some thought rather than the usual "let's throw money at it" approach.  As an aside, I heard last night Massarotti or someone confirm that while the Sox will get two 1st rounders for Papelbon as a type A, other closers/relievers currently on the market will require no draft pick compensation under the new MLB CBA rules.  So whomever they're chasing is a straight cash acquisition, which to me says that they'll bring a decent replacement for #58 or a good setup man for Bard. 
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn

Yeah, another reason that situation was well-played for sure.  My guess, is they bring in a good set-up guy for Bard.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from saxydogg77. Show saxydogg77's posts

The Sox should just close shop and blow up Fenway.  It's the only thing that would satisfy the myriad "Saux" fans. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from saxydogg77. Show saxydogg77's posts

In Response to Re: Cherington must go : JUST WHAT THIS BOARD NEEDS .... OUR OWN DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY/LIB/RAD/SOC/MOONBAT !!!
    Posted by Bill-806

Love how conservatives equate intelligence with being liberal.  Thanks, Gipper!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

By February, Ben Cherington might look brilliant for not making panicked moves in November.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

By February, Ben Cherington might look brilliant for not making panicked moves in November.
    Posted by hill55

Agreed here.  There are guys to be had in FA that can augment this already formidable roster.  None worth overpaying for that I can reckon.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Re: Cherington must go : Love how conservatives equate intelligence with being liberal.  Thanks, Gipper!
    Posted by saxydogg77

No one would equate intelligence with being liberal, least of all a conservative.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from saxydogg77. Show saxydogg77's posts

In Response to Re: Cherington must go : No one would equate intelligence with being liberal, least of all a conservative.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

Tell that to BILL.  Or his dad.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

When Bill-806 can't inderstand a post he calls the poster Liberal. He does it all of the time. He is not entirely wrong here since most college professors, clergy, college graduates, and highly intelligent are all liberal. Jesus was a liberal. Those who are selfish, shallow, uninformed, don't read, and without a conscience are typically Conservative.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i dont want panicked moves..i actually support not signing these vets, but it wouldve been nice in ben wouldve sort of explained to all why he wouldnt...i mean paps, papi, tek, wake, etc are owed at least that....im afraid that he might not be sure and that no such master plan exists because there is a lil bit of chaos as CHB says...so i get it as far as the anxiety about ben goes - i hope he's not he francona of GMs.....but "he must go"??? really  ..a bit premature no???

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

i dont want panicked moves..i actually support not signing these vets, but it wouldve been nice in ben wouldve sort of explained to all why he wouldnt...i mean paps, papi, tek, wake, etc are owed at least that....im afraid that he might not be sure and that no such master plan exists because there is a lil bit of chaos as CHB says...so i get it as far as the anxiety about ben goes - i hope he's not he francona = of GM.....but "he must go"??? really  ..a bit premature no???
    Posted by georom4

When has any GM ever showed his cards ahead of time or explained his moves afterwards?  A smart GM never divulges his motives, desires, logic to the media or fans since that would destroy his bargaining power / advantage. You must be kidding, right?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

pike, cmon, we are not talking about national security here...either you sign them or you dont...a strong GM wouldve said "we are taking this team in a new direction"...football coaches do it all the time...its called a new regime and you get a honeymoon period for it...but by not doing that, and extending this managerial process, it makes him look indecisive....thats all Im saying...

Sections
Shortcuts