Cherington: No intent to trade Ellsbury

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Re: Cherington: No intent to trade Ellsbury

In response to darrylfries' comment:

Puts to rest all the rumors the recent signings are a setting up a trade for Ells to get a starting good pitcher   Unless Cherington is being a little less than honest.

Not the first time a GM has been that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I miss Dick O-Connell

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

im happy about this. but id be foolish to trust this completely. a team could come in and make an offer BC would be dumb not to accept.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If he said he was going to trade Ells, teams might view him as desperate to trade him and his price goes down.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

1-Everything I've seen says that Ellsbury is gone.

2-Anyone that thinks that BC is going to announce his intentions is invited to my poker game.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I'd hate to see them trade Ellsbury now while his value is so low.But that doesn't mean they won't

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to darrylfries's comment:

Puts to rest all the rumors the recent signings are a setting up a trade for Ells to get a starting good pitcher   Unless Cherington is being a little less than honest.

What did you expect him to say? The truth, that they are trying desperately to put Ellsbury together in a package for a good SP? Thats something Valentine might have said, but no sane person would have stated in the media. The GM does not owe us the truth. These deals are best done privately.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

im happy about this. but id be foolish to trust this completely. a team could come in and make an offer BC would be dumb not to accept.

Those are two different scenarios.   He says he has no plans to trade Ellsbury, but he certainly cannot say he says no plans to receive overwhelming offers...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

"If he said he was going to trade Ells, teams might view him as desperate to trade him and his price goes down  "         The Red Sox have overpaid greatly in the  FA market this year and lost 93 games last year.   All of baseball view them as desperate already.

They overpaid because they only want to give 3 year deals to guys that couldve had 4 year deals. Thats how FA works. since they have a lot of extra cash and are a big market club, they can do this. Thats not desperate, thats business 101 regarding FA.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

You really believe what comment? Not to belittle you but do not take anything anyone says during the meetings seriously unless it is an announced signing/trade by the teams.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

As Frank Zappa would say, "I figure the odds be 50-50".

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

''They overpaid because they only want to give 3 year deals to guys that couldve had 4 year deals. Thats how FA works. since they have a lot of extra cash and are a big market club, they can do this. Thats not desperate, thats business 101 regarding FA  ''                                                   Nothing was confirmed on the 4 year deals and I find it hard to believe that Victorino would have got a four year deal from anyone.          

Francona even made a comment about Victorino rejecting the Indians offers. It is fairly clear that he had a 4/44 deal from the Indians.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Plans Change...................long time before Spring Training..........

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Ben's quote says to me that while he's not actively calling teams looking for a deal that he would consider offers.  It also tells me that the offers he has been given have not been that good.  What team is a good fit for Ells?  One that feels he is the MVP-quality player and not the one who has missed a ton of games over the past few years.  They also should be a player or two away from winning it all, have pitching depth to trade and feels it has a decent shot at meeting his asking price when he hits FA.  That doesn't sound like too many teams I know. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

''They overpaid because they only want to give 3 year deals to guys that couldve had 4 year deals. Thats how FA works. since they have a lot of extra cash and are a big market club, they can do this. Thats not desperate, thats business 101 regarding FA  ''                                                   Nothing was confirmed on the 4 year deals and I find it hard to believe that Victorino would have got a four year deal from anyone.          

Francona already confirmed the 4/44 offer to Victorino..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

"If he said he was going to trade Ells, teams might view him as desperate to trade him and his price goes down  "         The Red Sox have overpaid greatly in the  FA market this year and lost 93 games last year.   All of baseball view them as desperate already.

They overpaid because they only want to give 3 year deals to guys that couldve had 4 year deals. Thats how FA works. since they have a lot of extra cash and are a big market club, they can do this. Thats not desperate, thats business 101 regarding FA.

I think that is exactly right. I do think however they could be using their extra dollars more wisely. I understand being gun shy about big contracts after they just managed to get out from under CC and Agons, but this team is desperate for oen thing.....they need an Impact Player.....that could be a top notch starter, like Felix....of which there are none available or a Top Tier offensive stud....and Josh Hamilton is sitting there and he also happens to fill a postion for which you have a need....it was a non brainer to go after him when you have a perfect macth....his talents and position...with their weakness and are of need.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

As for Ells....where is the upside in not trading him? Is he going to lead you to a Championship this year?.....doubtful. Are you going to resign him.....since he will cost at least or more than what they dont seem to want to go for Hamilton....that is unlikely also. So wouldnt it be prudent to move the chip(even if after last year his value is diminished.....and obtain some long term pieces.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

As Frank Zappa would say, "I figure the odds be 50-50".

I might just have some thing to say

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts