Cherington says he's satisfied with the team's starting pitching depth

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Re: Cherington says he's satisfied with the team's starting pitching depth

How exactly do you feel? We are all very curious.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

As RS fan how can you be happy? Look at rotations of Tampa and NYY we don't compare. If we can get 1 more QUALITY starter [not some retread] we have a shot. But if one of the top 3 goes down to injury, which has happened just about every year might as well turn out the lights. Looking back how many RS fans would do a do-over on the VMart trade and love to have Justin Masterson in the rotation and Nick Hagadone [fully recovered & pitching very well @ AAA] ready to step in if a starter went down w/ injury. This is why I cringe every time I hear a fan say trade a Middlebrooks or Iggy or someone else in the minors like it has no bearing on RS eventually.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I think Ben is spinning a positive outlook, with the fact that his/our team is clearly behind the two teams above us in the ALE. garyhow's point regarding injury is spot on in that the odds that Beckett, Lester and Buchholtz all deliver 30+ starts and whoever fills in the 4, 5 and 6 holes are healthy, as well, are zero. We have a shallow starting staff and a very unproven and possibly shallow bullpen if Bard and Aceves start. To me, there is still lots of work to be done on the staff for Ben.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Quantity is not quality.

If we could add one solide 3/4 starter-type we'd greatly improve two areas of need:
    1) Starting pitching (innings eater)
    2) Bull pen (Bard or Aceves stays in the pen, maybe even both if another starter looks great and wins the 5 slot.)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

As much as I love these low/no risk signings, saying that he's "satisfied" with the rotation is going a bit too far.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe he meant he is satisfied with the depth (6-10), but is hiding his displeasure with our 4/5 slots.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I don't quite understand how Ben's satisfied with our pitching.  I, too, believe our top 3 starters are one of the league premiers if they stay healthy and focused.  However, they also can be shaky at the same time.  Bard and Aceves might make transition to fulltime starters for the first time in their big league career.  Nothing is guaranteed yet.  I understand Ben went out there and signed bunch of low cost pitching depth to minr league contracts.  But can they be dependables?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In Response to Re: Cherington says he's satisfied with the team's starting pitching depth:
    As much as I love these low/no risk signings, saying that he's "satisfied" with the rotation is going a bit too far.
    Posted by JB-3

Even though against at beginning of FA = Oswalt [34 w/back concerns]    seems he might be the guy who will come to us at bargain price. Not sure if any other suitors, he said he would like to pitch is STL but not sure a need w/ Wainright back, also said TEX but Darvish signing should take them out. Ben playing Russian roulette? longer he waits the $ drop, but on other hand someone else could get interested if $ drops too much. He did pitch well in 6 starts after back injury. If RS could get 25 starts he would be perfect No. 4. But we need SOMEDODY Ben!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lardin. Show lardin's posts

In Response to Cherington says he's satisfied with the team's starting pitching depth:
    According to Gordon Edes at espn Boston, the addition of Silva, Padilla and Cook has left Ben Cherington satisfied with the team's depth. What do you think?
    Posted by davetheknave

What else do you expect him to say?  "Are Rotation stinks, it needs a lot of work, currently we have the fourth best rotation in our division."

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

The success or failure of Bard's conversion to starter is the lynch pin here.  If he turns into a good starter (entirely possible with an improved change-up), then, yes, i agree, the depth is good.  Filling the 5 (until Matsuzaka's return) and then having injury depth with any mix and match of Doubront, Tazawa, Cooke, Miller, Silva, Padilla is good.  I imagine, barring massive step-up in camp, that they will keep Doubront and Tazawa in Pawtucket to start the year, as so they can carry some of these older maybe-could-be's.  

But, assuming Bard success, that is a really good 1-4.  I say equal to Tampa's.  Of course, if Bard does not make a good starter, eeeee.  Scary stuff.  

Of course, it is entirely possible that they are just playing a dangerous waiting game with oswalt.  Dunno.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In Response to Re: Cherington says he's satisfied with the team's starting pitching depth:
    Beckett Lester Buchholz Bard Aceves Doubront Tazawa Dice Cooke Silva Padilla I like our rotation and I think we do have a lot of options. I think Tazawa is going to contribute a lot in mid year and Dice K will be pitching for a contract when he comes back. Our top 3 have something to prove. I am more concerned about the back end of the bullpen and if those guys can stay healthy and close out games. I am fine with our starters
    Posted by thepeskypole6

Sure you like rotation w/ 2 guys who have never been starters in MLB to start year? I could live w/ 1 but not 2, scares the ..... out of me!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Cherington says he's satisfied with the team's starting pitching depth : Sure you like rotation w/ 2 guys who have never been starters in MLB to start year? I could live w/ 1 but not 2, scares the ..... out of me!
    Posted by garyhow

I highly doubt Aceves will be the fifth starter.  Too valuable in the pen ... although, contrary to your assertion, he does have plenty of experience starting if that is the way they go.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Cherington says he's satisfied with the team's starting pitching depth : Sure you like rotation w/ 2 guys who have never been starters in MLB to start year? I could live w/ 1 but not 2, scares the ..... out of me!
    Posted by garyhow

I agree. We need a solid innings eater for the 4 slot.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Cherington's latest comments strongly indicate that Tim Wastefield's final charity contract hope has left the building.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

The success or failure of Bard's conversion to starter is the lynch pin here.  If he turns into a good starter (entirely possible with an improved change-up), then, yes, i agree, the depth is good.  Filling the 5 (until Matsuzaka's return) and then having injury depth with any mix and match of Doubront, Tazawa, Cooke, Miller, Silva, Padilla is good.  I imagine, barring massive step-up in camp, that they will keep Doubront and Tazawa in Pawtucket to start the year, as so they can carry some of these older maybe-could-be's.   But, assuming Bard success, that is a really good 1-4.  I say equal to Tampa's.  Of course, if Bard does not make a good starter, eeeee.  Scary stuff.   Of course, it is entirely possible that they are just playing a dangerous waiting game with oswalt.  Dunno.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

I would add Clay's health to the "lynch pin" discussion.  If Clay can make 20+ starts last year, the rotation concerns are not nearly as high as they are this year.  So if Clay can come back this year and make 25+ starts, I think the pitching depth will be ok. 

I agree about Bard but I'm pretty optimistic about the transition.  I think early in the year we'll see a lot of 5 inning starts from Bard but he has a very easy delivery and since I have absolutely no expertice on the matter, I feel confident saying he will stretch out well as a starter.  I like to compare him to Dlowe. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Cherington says he's satisfied with the team's starting pitching depth:
    According to Gordon Edes at espn Boston, the addition of Silva, Padilla and Cook has left Ben Cherington satisfied with the team's depth. What do you think?
    Posted by davetheknave

He's lying of course.  GM's have been known to do that.  Hopefully he still wants to sign Oswalt at the right price.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Cherington says he's satisfied with the team's starting pitching depth : What else do you expect him to say?  "Are Rotation stinks, it needs a lot of work, currently we have the fourth best rotation in our division."
    Posted by lardin

I would at least expect him to know the difference between "Are" and "Our".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

what is he supposed to do? abandon ship like the italian captain on the cruise liner???

he has 2 pitchers who are out for this season (or 1/2 in one case)
    another that was out most of last season
    he has another pitcher that is 45 years old
    he has Beckett and his inconsistency/attitude are sketchy at best 
    he has Lester...the surest thing we have
    and two relievers who have to be converted to start from relief...
    plus the garbage bin pickups hpoing we catch lightening in a bottle

I dont know if red sox nation can handle the truth....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

what is he supposed to do? abandon ship like the italian captain on the cruise liner??? he has 2 pitchers who are out for this season (or 1/2 in one case) another that was out most of last season he has another pitcher that is 45 years old he has Beckett and his inconsistency/attitude are sketchy at best  he has Lester...the surest thing we have and two relievers who have to be converted to start from relief... plus the garbage bin pickups hpoing we catch lightening in a bottle I dont know if red sox nation can handle the truth....
    Posted by georom4

G- If the truth is that the Sox are mediocre, I will not be able to handle it, no.  But, lucky for me, the truth is never revealed in January.  Always on the field over the course of a long, unpredictable season.  It works both ways.  Last year, the "truth" at this time of year was that the Phillies and the sox were destined for November baseball.  So, I am happy to wear my rose colored glasses at this time of year, even with big question marks for this club, because you just never know.  Baseball.  Better for the consitution to not grind on the "what if"s too hard.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Cherington says he's satisfied with the team's starting pitching depth : G- If the truth is that the Sox are mediocre, I will not be able to handle it, no.  But, lucky for me, the truth is never revealed in January.  Always on the field over the course of a long, unpredictable season.  It works both ways.  Last year, the "truth" at this time of year was that the Phillies and the sox were destined for November baseball.  So, I am happy to wear my rose colored glasses at this time of year, even with big question marks for this club, because you just never know.  Baseball.  Better for the consitution to not grind on the "what if"s too hard.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

i agree space...it could go surprisingly well...im not expecting anything big but i am looking forward to seeing bard start, valentine manage, and some of the other newbies play...but realistically speaking i think it might be a long year...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

Cherrington IMO is acting like any professional GM is supposed to act. None of the representatives of the FO ( Henry, Werner, Lucchino, or Be) are going to sound pessimistic or worried. This is standard operating procedure not only in Boston but on every other team.

This leaves it up to the fan to assess how bleak or promising the "real" situation is. Some fans will have a completely difference assessment than other fans. How much we read and what we choose to read  or how much talk radio we listen to and believe as credible are factors that slant our opinions.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Cherington says he's satisfied with the team's starting pitching depth : i agree space...it could go surprisingly well...im not expecting anything big but i am looking forward to seeing bard start, valentine manage, and some of the other newbies play...but realistically speaking i think it might be a long year...
    Posted by georom4

Funny how we can look at the same thing and see an entirely different object G.  I am not saying this club is a shoe in for post season or anything.  But I do think you are radically underestimating its potential.  September has obviously obscured how good the club was prior to the perfect storm collapse.  And, in my view, the club, as currently constructed, is already better.  Line-up is better with a healthy Youk.  The rotation, even without a clear 5 and even if Bard doesn't work out, is vastly improved by the simple replacement of a healthy Buchholz for a spiritually-and-physically-broken John Lackey.  So, in my eyes, while there are certainly question marks, this club is a contender.  Interesting that you see it so differently.

Sections
Shortcuts