Cherington's achiles heel

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Cherington's achiles heel

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to eidlog's comment:

Lester: 9-14, 1.383, 4.82
    Buchholz: 11-8, 1.326, 4.56

Those stats represent what the duo have accomplished since September, 2011.

No. 3 man, Ryan  Dempster pitched worse than Lester and Buchholz in the second half of 2012, compiling a 5.09 ERA and 1.453 WHIP for the Rangers.

Dempster has a lifetime ERA of 5.27 versus Toronto and 7.62 (with an 0-4 record) against the Yankees.

Doubront slipped badly (1-5, 6.04 ERA) in August-September.

And Jon Lackey -he has some of the worst ERA/WHIP numbers for a 150-Inning starter  6.41/1.619 in MLB history.

You're still avoiding the question. What TOTR FA starter should Ben have acquired this winter? What ace should he have traded for, or failing that what ace starter was actually available?

this is what i call BILL-806 syndrome..... You whine and cry and demand a trade but don't specify ANY targets.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

In response to notin's comment:

It is a shame.

I mean, all he has to do is fill out the right forms and get a tracking number, and then wait for the top of the rotation starter to be delivered to his doorstep...

Free agency/trades

If Rubby De Le Rosa emerges as a TOR starter, will Cherington have fulfiulled his obligtion to you?

Free agency is a horrible way to get anything important.  The disadvantages outweigh the shrt term goals.  Free agency is not for building, it is for supplementing. 

No points awarded...

While in general I agree with you, especially regarding pitching, the Yankees have done quite well in this regard, no? A-Rod, Swisher (I believe), Martin, Ibanez, Nix, Youkilis, Hafner, Kuroda (heck, their entire bench each season, almost).

If I remember right they got Teixeira, Burnett, and Sabathia in one off-season.  Though Burnett was never great, Sabathia and Teixeira have gone on to anchor the team in the rotation and offense, respectively.  Soriano saved their bullpen's behind last season, Aardsma may save it this season. 

So building a successful team on the back of FA signings CAN be done; it just has to be done smartly and agressively.  Which does mean overpaying, which is why I am generally against the idea from a business standpoint.  But to write it off as useless or nonsense is ignoring facts.

You sre provinh my point.

Swisher wss a trsde not a FA. ARod too.

Most of the players you named were the short term stopgaps I mentioned.

The others - Teixeira and Sabathia - were short term successes with long term concerns. A-Rod joined this group with his extension...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

asking RDLR to be a TOR starter in 2013 is unrealistic...i have high hopes for all these sox youngsters but lets get to the .500 spot this year and get them acclimated...2014 & 2015 will be much better

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In response to gr82bme's comment:

Agree with those saying, "who could you get?"  I mean King Felix just signed a mega-contract, but what else was out there?  Dickey?  Hey, I'm all for a starting rotation of in-their-primes Walter Johnson, Cy Young, Chrisy Matthewson, Lefty Grove, and Sandy Kofax - with a relief core of Rollie Fingers, Sparky Lyle, Goose Gossage, Dan Quissenberry, with Mo Rivera as our closer - thing is, there's nothing out there that even remotly resembles this august group.

And to be honest, I don't think King Felix as our TOR guy would help too appreciably.  Unless we get career years out of 3 or 4 regulars, we won't be sniffing at the playoffs - but, that's why they play the games.  GO SOX!

Dickey won rhe Cy Young LAST YEAR!!!

He is easily among the 10 best SP inMLB.

The drawback was that he would have cost Bogaerts and Bradley. ..ad

I agree, but remember Dickey wasn't a FA - he signed an extension when traded to the Jays.  And like you said, the most would have been dear.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

And Pedro seems to think we might have the ace for our pitching staff already in house. Something I said at the time of the Dodgers' trade when softy and others were calling these guys "farm scraps".

RDLR looked really good today. Good 1st impression.

I know thew Sox will have him on an innings limit this year, but I would bet that we will see him sometime later this year depending on his innings pitched.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

You sound like the stooge, Moonshwemp.

If you are going to whine about not having a "top of the rotation starter", then please name him and provide the exact details as to how you would acquire him.

for once, something we can both agree on.

although, your buddy BILL-806 is the king of this. weird how you don't get on his case over it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from eidlog. Show eidlog's posts

Only 16 percent of all the money spent has gone to improve the team’s greatest weakness: the starting rotation.

Red Sox starters were 48-72 with a 5.19 earned run average last season, the third-worst ERA in the American League. Opponents hit 135 home runs against the Sox and had a .790 OPS.

Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz, and Felix Doubront — return as the core of the rotation. Lester had a 4.82 ERA, Buis 10-17 with a 4.90 ERA in 39 starts dating to Sept. 1, 2011. In his last 237 innings, Lester has allowed 251 hits and struck out only 198.chholz a 4.56, and Doubront a 4.86.

Lester is 10-17 with a 4.90 ERA in 39 starts dating to Sept. 1, 2011. In his last 237 innings, Lester has allowed 251 hits and struck out only 198.

Dempster has a 4.63 ERA in 50 interleague appearances. He is 4-8 with a 4.91 ERA in 18 career appearances against teams from the AL East — including 0-4 with a 7.62 ERA in five career starts against the Yankees.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Lester: 9-14, 1.383, 4.82
    Buchholz: 11-8, 1.326, 4.56

Those stats represent what the duo have accomplished since September, 2011.

No. 3 man, Ryan  Dempster pitched worse than Lester and Buchholz in the second half of 2012, compiling a 5.09 ERA and 1.453 WHIP for the Rangers.

Dempster has a lifetime ERA of 5.27 versus Toronto and 7.62 (with an 0-4 record) against the Yankees.

Doubront slipped badly (1-5, 6.04 ERA) in August-September.

And Jon Lackey -he has some of the worst ERA/WHIP numbers for a 150-Inning starter  6.41/1.619 in MLB history.

You're still avoiding the question. What TOTR FA starter should Ben have acquired this winter? What ace should he have traded for, or failing that what ace starter was actually available?

this is what i call BILL-806 syndrome..... You whine and cry and demand a trade but don't specify ANY targets.

As DAD would say......... "SON, looks like another compliment"  !!!!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Only 16 percent of all the money spent has gone to improve the team’s greatest weakness: the starting rotation.

Red Sox starters were 48-72 with a 5.19 earned run average last season, the third-worst ERA in the American League. Opponents hit 135 home runs against the Sox and had a .790 OPS.

Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz, and Felix Doubront — return as the core of the rotation. Lester had a 4.82 ERA, Buis 10-17 with a 4.90 ERA in 39 starts dating to Sept. 1, 2011. In his last 237 innings, Lester has allowed 251 hits and struck out only 198.chholz a 4.56, and Doubront a 4.86.

Lester is 10-17 with a 4.90 ERA in 39 starts dating to Sept. 1, 2011. In his last 237 innings, Lester has allowed 251 hits and struck out only 198.

Dempster has a 4.63 ERA in 50 interleague appearances. He is 4-8 with a 4.91 ERA in 18 career appearances against teams from the AL East — including 0-4 with a 7.62 ERA in five career starts against the Yankees.

Okay, today's exercise is to cherry-pick stats?

• Lester was #10 SP in all of BB 2010-2012.
    • Bucholz Had the #4 ERA for SPs with at least 250 IP for 2010-2011
    • Dempster had a 4.01 ERA in his last 9 starts after the trade.
    • Doubront had a 3.08 in has last 4 starts.
    • Lackey had a 4.40 in his one healthy season with us.

Instead of cherry-picking stats, why not post what their projections are from say, an expert like Bill James?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Allowing Paps to walk was a no brainer, but you are right, it was the correct move. And we got Webster and DLR in August. This offseason has been devoid of significant improvements, and its six months long. Yes, there are other ways we could have planned for 2015. Trading Ellsbury or one of our catchers or one of our minor league position players in return for a pitcher with promise would have made us better in 2015 in terms of being more competitive for a ring.

Two problems with your two solutions

1-Trading Ellsbury-What would we get today?  What will we get when he walks?  My guess is that it would not be significantly different.

2-We don't have catchers to trade.  We have one catcher to trade.  What do you think Salty would fetch?

You are suggesting trading two pieces that I don't think will make us much different than what we'll get in another year.  Meanwhile, we can still compete this year with them.

Ellsbury could have been packaged with either Salty or some minor league position player prospects to bring us a good pitching prospect. The concept is that anyone who is not in the plans for 2015 is fair game to be traded. You don't have to trade everyone; we do need to field a team this year, but there should be no pretending this is a team that will contend for a ring. I just don't see any significant moves made by our GM this winter at all.

You really haven't gotten past the previous question.  You basically want to dump the 2013 season in favor of getting a marginally better prospect than we would get by hanging onto Ellsbury.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

because that was the bet and i lost it...he wasnt gone by ST...but i said he would be traded and he was in 2012...are you going to bet the sox finish over .500 in 2013?

I'm in.  Are you in?

Geo, are you in?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Allowing Paps to walk was a no brainer, but you are right, it was the correct move. And we got Webster and DLR in August. This offseason has been devoid of significant improvements, and its six months long. Yes, there are other ways we could have planned for 2015. Trading Ellsbury or one of our catchers or one of our minor league position players in return for a pitcher with promise would have made us better in 2015 in terms of being more competitive for a ring.

1-Trading Ellsbury-What would we get today?  What will we get when he walks?  My guess is that it would not be significantly different.

2-We don't have catchers to trade.  We have one catcher to trade.  What do you think Salty would fetch?

You are suggesting trading two pieces that I don't think will make us much different than what we'll get in another year.  Meanwhile, we can still compete this year with them.

Ellsbury could have been packaged with either Salty or some minor league position player prospects to bring us a good pitching prospect. The concept is that anyone who is not in the plans for 2015 is fair game to be traded. You don't have to trade everyone; we do need to field a team this year, but there should be no pretending this is a team that will contend for a ring. I just don't see any significant moves made by our GM this winter at all.

You really haven't gotten past the previous question.  You basically want to dump the 2013 season in favor of getting a marginally better prospect than we would get by hanging onto Ellsbury.

i agree, not to mention if we trade him that virtually kills any chance of resigning him in the offseason...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Its not that I WANT to dump the 2013 season, its that we simply don't have the team to make a run at a ring. Sure, I will be there watching with all the other fans, knowing how unlikely it is that we can be much more than a .500 team. That would be much more palatable if I felt we were doing everything possible to make a real exciting run at a ring in 2015. Sitting pat is simply not an option, but thats what Cherington did, essentially, this winter. We do not know what a package of Ellsbury and Salty would have reeled in, so lets not pretend we do. I would have a lot more fun watching a .450 team with lots of good pitching prospects than a .500 team with fewer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to selenium-'s comment:

JEF429 and I don't get along together but we both agree ( I think) that Ellsbury is our favorite player.  I want to enjoy watching Jacoby playing for the Sox this year.  He is exciting to watch, who can forget him stealing home vs. the Yankees ( sorry to bug our forum Yankee fans who are so sensitive but this is a Red Sox forum and not a neutral or Yankee forum), he can score from first base on a double, plays excellent defense, beats out hits, and is capable of being an offensive force when healthy. Some forum bozos claim that he is injury prone since a teammate ran into him or a rival secondbaseman fell onto him - which is ludicrous. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time and not "injury prone". Only trolls or those who don't think  would claim that he was "injury prone.

As a Red Sox fan and not the GM or owner, I am not obsessed with trading him at peak value ( that is what people in the stock market care about). It is true that the GM would have such concerns but I don't. I am not a day trader in the stock market - I am a fan. I want to live the coming season with the hand that I have been dealt with by the franchise. No need to second-guess the roster, GM, owner, every day. Life is too short to worry, and be miserable every day. Enjoy yourself, it is later than you think. Try to be happy. Enjoy Ellsbury for another year instead of obsessing on trading him  at peak value. Be a fan - not a stock trader.

I am a fan. Thats why I want the team to eventually be successful. There are all kinds of fans with all different opinions about how the team should proceed, not just one kind of fan. I would rather get rid of Ellsbury if we can get value in return than watch him play this year and leave the team on Oct 1.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

JEF429 and I don't get along together but we both agree ( I think) that Ellsbury is our favorite player.  I want to enjoy watching Jacoby playing for the Sox this year.  He is exciting to watch, who can forget him stealing home vs. the Yankees ( sorry to bug our forum Yankee fans who are so sensitive but this is a Red Sox forum and not a neutral or Yankee forum), he can score from first base on a double, plays excellent defense, beats out hits, and is capable of being an offensive force when healthy. Some forum bozos claim that he is injury prone since a teammate ran into him or a rival secondbaseman fell onto him - which is ludicrous. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time and not "injury prone". Only trolls or those who don't think  would claim that he was "injury prone.

As a Red Sox fan and not the GM or owner, I am not obsessed with trading him at peak value ( that is what people in the stock market care about). It is true that the GM would have such concerns but I don't. I am not a day trader in the stock market - I am a fan. I want to live the coming season with the hand that I have been dealt with by the franchise. No need to second-guess the roster, GM, owner, every day. Life is too short to worry, and be miserable every day. Enjoy yourself, it is later than you think. Try to be happy. Enjoy Ellsbury for another year instead of obsessing on trading him  at peak value. Be a fan - not a stock trader.

I am a fan. Thats why I want the team to eventually be successful. There are all kinds of fans with all different opinions about how the team should proceed, not just one kind of fan. I would rather get rid of Ellsbury if we can get value in return than watch him play this year and leave the team on Oct 1.

he may not. It all falls on ben and management on what we're willing to pay to retain him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

he may not. It all falls on ben and management on what we're willing to pay to retain him.

He is a Borass client. He will be difficult to retain.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Lots of players are Borass clients. including JBJ. you can't NOT deal with him...

we have just as good a chance (i would say a better chance) to sign him as anyone.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Lots of players are Borass clients. including JBJ. you can't NOT deal with him...

we have just as good a chance (i would say a better chance) to sign him as anyone.

He will rightfully go where the money and the years are offered. I hope the Sox do not make the same mistakes all over again by signing him to too many years at too much money. It would be nice to keep him for the right price, but I doubt they will offer him what he can get elsewhere, and given the way he was treated with his injuries a few years ago, we aren't getting a home town discount. I would be surprised if he is still on the team next year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Ellsbury is gone not just because of his contract situation, but because we have a replacement in Bradley.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Ellsbury is gone not just because of his contract situation, but because we have a replacement in Bradley.

you mean a replacement that can play anywhere in the OF? you do know that you can have more than 1 OF'er at a time right?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

This schrolling which regurgitates everything and you can't see who responded to your post without doing surgery will be the downfall of this forum.  BDC, make it like a movie script. I don't need to keep seeing everything repeated over and over. BDC has been alerted to this problem a thousand times and refuses to recognize it or remedy it. When you watch a panel debate on TV, do they repeat all prior comments everytime that anyone speaks? This is ridiculous.

if you don't like it find a new forum.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

This schrolling which regurgitates everything and you can't see who responded to your post without doing surgery will be the downfall of this forum.  BDC, make it like a movie script. I don't need to keep seeing everything repeated over and over. BDC has been alerted to this problem a thousand times and refuses to recognize it or remedy it. When you watch a panel debate on TV, do they repeat all prior comments everytime that anyone speaks? This is ridiculous.

if you don't like it find a new forum.

It was a complaint to the software people. Why are you so outraged at that? Do you enjoy the schrolling, I don't. It has nothing to do with any of my opinions and yours on anything else. Many others also dislike the schrolling problem, read the complaints to Dottie / BDC on the other forums.  Why be so petty, personal, and vindictive? Do you prefer schrolling for two minutes in order to see a two word reply to your most recent post?

so why put your complaint here when there is a specified area that Dottie and Co checks?

and no, i have no issue with it. as long as your not using the arrow keys to scroll through a page it is a minor inconvenience at the most. press the spacebar. presto!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Mef429,

I think the Sox have as good a working relationship with Boras as anyone.  I don't think that is an issue at all.  I heard at the Winter Meetings that too many people in the Sox organization think Ellsbury is too soft (That's putting it nicely), and they clearly tried to move him this winter, but they weren't going to give him away.  They offered him in a package for Cliff Lee early on, but the Phillies think they can win now (most teams do at this point), the free agent market was saturated with centerfielders and the Phillies were able to get Ben Revere while keeping the "big three" together.  Obviously things can change during this season, but I think it would take something like a World Series MVP Award and an serious overpay for Ellsbury to come back next year. 

Sections
Shortcuts