Cherrington and Dan Duquette?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agarbari. Show agarbari's posts

Cherrington and Dan Duquette?

This guy is starting to remind me of Dan Duquettes early reign with the Red Sox when he was in on everything and di very little. Duquette blew it in 2000 when they should have targeted Mike Musina to compliment Pedro Martinez. They got into it late after he had spoken with the Yankees and underwhelmed the guy hence he signed with New York. After this fiasco he had to get involved with Manny Ramirez and try to get him. I sa him pick up garbage Rudy Pemberton, Dwayne Hosey, Kent Mercker, Ramon Martinez (Pedro's older brother), Rod Beck, Tony Clarke, and Troy O'Leary. Cheap throways from other teams.
    Duquette did not go after good free agents until the 2002 season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Cherrington and Dan Duquette?

In Response to Cherrington and Dan Duquette?:
    [QUOTE]This guy is starting to remind me of Dan Duquettes early reign with the Red Sox when he was in on everything and di very little. Duquette blew it in 2000 when they should have targeted Mike Musina to compliment Pedro Martinez. They got into it late after he had spoken with the Yankees and underwhelmed the guy hence he signed with New York. After this fiasco he had to get involved with Manny Ramirez and try to get him. I sa him pick up garbage Rudy Pemberton, Dwayne Hosey, Kent Mercker, Ramon Martinez (Pedro's older brother), Rod Beck, Tony Clarke, and Troy O'Leary. Cheap throways from other teams. Duquette did not go after good free agents until the 2002 season.
    Posted by agarbari[/QUOTE]
    He wasn't really allowed until Harrington realized he needed players to be able to sell the team. Troy O'Leary was a good player with the Sox. Duquette signed Pedro for 17 a year, gave Nomar a record deal for a SS, Manny, was willing to play Bernie Williams more than the Yankees were he was not afraid to sign players.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

My friend's third child was born at 08:17 EST this morning...and let me tell you, that infant has achieved nothing....NOTHING....so far.  Totally oversold and overrated.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

maybe having to settle for manny instead of mussina was a good thing, love him or hate him, no manny and we're probably currently sitting at 93 years and counting...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Quite frankly Duquette's reign was with the previous ownership.  This ownership is not afraid to spend $$$ to make $$$$$ (i.e. International, branding, Ballpark renovation plan, etc.)  Had Duquette started out here he would have been equally as good as Theo.  They simply wanted their own ....err Lucchino wanted his own guy.  Someone they could develop and control.  I'm sure that because he was a"protege" of Edward Bennett Williams, that e has followed the blueprint for years.  Theo  when hired was a the inexperienced new protege.  Cherrington now.  It's a way for micro managers to be in control. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

IT WAS/IS ALL ABOUT  $$$$$$$$$$$......  THE DUKES HANDS WERE SOMEWHAT TIED !!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Cherrington and Dan Duquette?:
    [QUOTE]  IT WAS/IS ALL ABOUT  $$$$$$$$$$$......  THE DUKES HANDS WERE SOMEWHAT TIED !!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Somewhat tied.

But he had the draft to resort to, and received almost nothing.

2001-Youk
    2000-MDC, Sanchez
    1999-No one
    1998-No one
    1997-No one
    1996-Hillenbrand, Duchscherer
    1995-No one
    1994-Nomar, Pavano

Heck, you could go so far as to suggest that, since he was not hired until 1994, that the draft was largely scouted by Gorman and his crew.  Either way, in 8 years, we drafted a 2B, SS, 3B, an SP, and 2 BP arms.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Had Duquette started out here he would have been equally as good as Theo. 

Had Duquette been equally as good as Theo, he'd have had the highest contract in BB instead of being out of BB for 10 years.  Not taking sides here, but with guys like Duquette, Valentine, and Grady Little, if these guys had real talent, someone would recognized it by now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agarbari. Show agarbari's posts

I think what happened with Francona over this last year is going to really hurt him in the future as far as getting a job. No owner wants to hear that the manager lost control over the year to a team with a 160 million dollar payrol, that does not make it into the playoffs and does not generate any playoff money. Bottom line.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]  IT WAS/IS ALL ABOUT  $$$$$$$$$$$......  THE DUKES HANDS WERE SOMEWHAT TIED !!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Bill, when you say "it's all about money and the Duke's hands were tied", do you mean that in the "he signed Manny to the second biggest contract in history (at the time)" sense of "it's all about money and the Duke's hands were tied", or is that just another of your sly references to S&M?  ;-)

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cherrington and Dan Duquette? : Bill, when you say "it's all about money and the Duke's hands were tied", do you mean that in the "he signed Manny to the second biggest contract in history (at the time)" sense of "it's all about money and the Duke's hands were tied", or is that just another of your sly references to S&M?  ;-)
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]WHAT IS  S & M  ?????? SORRY, DOES NOT COMPUTE !!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]What baseball background does he have? Can anyone tell me?  Did he play somewhere? College? How does one get to be in his position without knowing the game on some higher level. Just curious, I know I wouldn't hire a guy on the job without some experience.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]
    Like being an employee the Red Sox since he was 22 or played college baseball enough background.

Sections
Shortcuts