Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and...

Only had to pay 12mm out of pocket to do it...
    Sox get 2 potential TOR starters a power hitting 1b and a utility infielder. Oh, and get James Loney to man 1b for the rest of the year. Now with a projected payroll of 45.6mm before arb cases and possible re-signs next year, the Sox have all the financial flexibility in the world. Sorry softy, Ells just might be staying a while :) So, What do all you "Worst GM ever" folks have to say about BC now? I say BC just made one of the most brilliant trades in MLB...Thank You Ben Cherrington. Now lets get this ball rolling again in Boston!!!
    EDIT: just read that trade completion was not official yet...Was prematurely released as official...But this will get done, and when it does, I will be one happy Sox fan!!!
    EDIT2: Ok, just read from more sources that it is indeed official...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and...

Yes inking Elles to a mega deal is just what BC should do!  Brilliant! I mean we all know how awesome Jacoby was in 2011 and.... um... and... when else was he really good again?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and...:
    [QUOTE]Only had to pay 12mm out of pocket to do it...ITS OFFICIAL!!!! Sox get 2 potential TOR starters a power hitting 1b and a utility infielder. Oh, and get James Loney to man 1b for the rest of the year. Now with a projected payroll of 45.6mm before arb cases and possible re-signs next year, the Sox have all the financial flexability in the world. Sorry sorfty, Ells just might be staying a while :) So, What do all you "Worst GM ever" folks have to say about BC now? I say BC just made one of the most brilliant trades in MLB...Thank You Ben Cherrington. Now lets get this ball rolling again in Boston!!!
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

So your saying  deal of century because we got rid of those players? Tell me how you know  what our returns are going to do????

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Where anywhere did I say mega deal? try not putting word into peoples mouths like your famous for...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and... : So your saying  deal of century because we got rid of those players? Tell me how you know  what our returns are going to do????
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]

I know they are not going to be overpaid cry babies, thats for sure...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

It had to be done.

The Red Sox can reload next year and really only lose Agon. Agon is a good to great player but getting rid of all those salaries is something that I honestly did not think could be accomplished.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]Only had to pay 12mm out of pocket to do it...ITS OFFICIAL!!!! Sox get 2 potential TOR starters a power hitting 1b and a utility infielder. Oh, and get James Loney to man 1b for the rest of the year. Now with a projected payroll of 45.6mm before arb cases and possible re-signs next year, the Sox have all the financial flexability in the world. Sorry sorfty, Ells just might be staying a while :) So, What do all you "Worst GM ever" folks have to say about BC now? I say BC just made one of the most brilliant trades in MLB...Thank You Ben Cherrington. Now lets get this ball rolling again in Boston!!!
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]Im with you......  "Transformation" of our beloved Red $ox is well on it's way........  Also, we are 73 days away from "TRANSFORMING" the U S A back from the 3rd world country of the "BIG O"  !!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]It had to be done. The Red Sox can reload next year and really only lose Agon. Agon is a good to great player but getting rid of all those salaries is something that I honestly did not think could be accomplished.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

Nobody did snake, thats why it was brilliant!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

Who is the Power Hitting 1B that thier getting??? Look again.  Loney sucks people.  He is a light hitting singles hitter out of a Position that you need power from.  Thank goodness he is a free agent.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Really? Elles might stay means what? For free? A short deal? Okay you are right I am crazy. Not.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Who is the Power Hitting 1B that thier getting??? Look again.  Loney sucks people.  He is a light hitting singles hitter out of a Position that you need power from.  Thank goodness he is a free agent.
    Posted by Yaso#7[/QUOTE]

Jerry Sands...Loney is just a filler for this year. Big power potential
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/sandsje01.shtml?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker&utm_campaign=Linker

click on "show minors" to Look at ML numbers

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]Who is the Power Hitting 1B that thier getting??? Look again.  Loney sucks people.  He is a light hitting singles hitter out of a Position that you need power from.  Thank goodness he is a free agent.
    Posted by Yaso#7[/QUOTE]

I believe South was talking about Sands and not Loney.  Sands plays first and has a lot of power.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Really? Elles might stay means what? For free? A short deal? Okay you are right I am crazy. Not.
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]

Once again, stop putting words in my mouth please...I never called you crazy...Jeeez you have a real problem with that dont you?
    Personally, I dont think there will be a lot of "Mega-Deals" after what teams just witnessed the Sox go through. If Ells wants 20mm per and 8yrs I think the Sox will let him walk. If he should come at a reasonable cost, the will pay it for his talents.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

It won't come at a reasonable cost. Why kid yourself? There is ZERO % chance he will come at a reasonable cost. I am only trying to keep you in reality.

0% not 5% or 50% but 0%.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Deal of the century let's be real.
    We have nothing and are getting nothing to replace what Adrian and CC can do and have done.
    There is nothing available in the Free Agent pool this coming year that is of consequence except maybe a couple of pitchers.

The salary dump will do nothing to bring in better or equal players. Look at the list IMO not much there.
    Also the way the new system is set up it is not like it was before where money was the king. That is not the case any more.

As stated
    We will be banking on IMO far too many minor league guys to play next year.
    We will be banking on too many pitchers that we have that have been inconsistent.

This is far from a deal of the century. It maybe the deal that "transforms the RS" absolutely. However it IMHO maybe the deal that makes this team an also ran for the couple of years.
    FAR TOO MANY "ifs & maybes" on the roster next year as it stands right now.
    People say sign Ross...If you are Ross do you want to stay?
    People say sign Ortiz...If you are Ortiz do you want to stay?
    People say say Jake (except softy)...If you are Jake do you want to stay?

If you are a FA do you want to be here when you maybe won't have a shot at the playoffs for 2 or 3 years??????

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]It won't come at a reasonable cost. Why kid yourself? There is ZERO % chance he will come at a reasonable cost. I am only trying to keep you in reality. 0% not 5% or 50% but 0%.
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]

Gee thanks, but I think my post was pretty realistic. But thanks for the concernUndecided

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and... : Jerry Sands...Loney is just a filler for this year. Big power potential http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/sandsje01.shtml?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker&utm_campaign=Linker click on "show minors" to Look at ML numbers

Any idea why Sands has spent so much time in corner outfield spots?  Was it just because the Dodgers still thought Loney was he answer at 1B?

Very impressive power numbers, and he's only spent 3 years in the minos despite being 25 years old.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and... : Gee thanks, but I think my post was pretty realistic. But thanks for the concern

it would be crazy not to want jacoby, he showed you what he his potential is last season, and aside from 2 freak injuries has been very durable. once again let me make this clear. im am in no way saying give him a CC sized contract unless his 2013 season mirrors 2011.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Only had to pay 12mm out of pocket to do it... Sox get 2 potential TOR starters a power hitting 1b and a utility infielder. Oh, and get James Loney to man 1b for the rest of the year. Now with a projected payroll of 45.6mm before arb cases and possible re-signs next year, the Sox have all the financial flexibility in the world. Sorry softy, Ells just might be staying a while :) So, What do all you "Worst GM ever" folks have to say about BC now? I say BC just made one of the most brilliant trades in MLB...Thank You Ben Cherrington. Now lets get this ball rolling again in Boston!!! EDIT : just read that trade completion was not official yet...Was prematurely released as official...But this will get done, and when it does, I will be one happy Sox fan!!!

You think LL/Werner/Henry let BC do this deal all by himself? This smacks of what Henry did with Sea; he may be selling the team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and... : Any idea why Sands has spent so much time in corner outfield spots?  Was it just because the Dodgers still thought Loney was he answer at 1B? Very impressive power numbers, and he's only spent 3 years in the minos despite being 25 years old.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

His numbers and scouting reports look good JB. Now Im NOT saying any of them are cant miss prospects..Ive been around toolong to just throw a term around like that one...But Webster induces a ton of GB, Sands looks to have some good power potential and DeLaRosa is another high 90's pitcher with a high ceiling.
    Not just what we got back, but just being able to shed the payroll with monster contracts of a couple guys that were never going to live up to them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and... : You think LL/Werner/Henry let BC do this deal all by himself? This smacks of what Henry did with Sea; he may be selling the team.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Great point steve. I was thinking that too...Perfect time to do so with them only on the hook for 45.6mm in 2013...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]Deal of the century let's be real. We have nothing and are getting nothing to replace what Adrian and CC can do and have done. There is nothing available in the Free Agent pool this coming year that is of consequence except maybe a couple of pitchers. The salary dump will do nothing to bring in better or equal players. Look at the list IMO not much there. Also the way the new system is set up it is not like it was before where money was the king. That is not the case any more. As stated We will be banking on IMO far too many minor league guys to play next year. We will be banking on too many pitchers that we have that have been inconsistent. This is far from a deal of the century. It maybe the deal that "transforms the RS" absolutely. However it IMHO maybe the deal that makes this team an also ran for the couple of years. FAR TOO MANY "ifs & maybes" on the roster next year as it stands right now. People say sign Ross...If you are Ross do you want to stay? People say sign Ortiz...If you are Ortiz do you want to stay? People say say Jake (except softy)...If you are Jake do you want to stay? If you are a FA do you want to be here when you maybe won't have a shot at the playoffs for 2 or 3 years??????
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]
    Yep, there are dark years ahead for the Sox.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Deal of the century let's be real. We have nothing and are getting nothing to replace what Adrian and CC can do and have done. There is nothing available in the Free Agent pool this coming year that is of consequence except maybe a couple of pitchers. The salary dump will do nothing to bring in better or equal players. Look at the list IMO not much there. Also the way the new system is set up it is not like it was before where money was the king. That is not the case any more. As stated We will be banking on IMO far too many minor league guys to play next year. We will be banking on too many pitchers that we have that have been inconsistent. This is far from a deal of the century. It maybe the deal that "transforms the RS" absolutely. However it IMHO maybe the deal that makes this team an also ran for the couple of years. FAR TOO MANY "ifs & maybes" on the roster next year as it stands right now. People say sign Ross...If you are Ross do you want to stay? People say sign Ortiz...If you are Ortiz do you want to stay? People say say Jake (except softy)...If you are Jake do you want to stay? If you are a FA do you want to be here when you maybe won't have a shot at the playoffs for 2 or 3 years??????
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

This was the deal of the century for the Sox IMO. It was their chance to get out from under all that wasted $$ in one big move. I think if they are smart they can put together a team that is a good mix of kids and Vets to be competitive. Or like NHSteve just pointed out, maybe they want to sell the team...Either way, it was a brilliant move to dump all these contracts at once and get a few solid prospects back...Oh, and only eat 12mm of over 270mm...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and... : Yep, there are dark years ahead for the Sox.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

we will draft early in comming years..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

These deals can only be evaluated in hindsight. But right now it looks like we did very well, shedding all those horrible contracts perpetrated upon the franchise by Epstein and getting a couple of good pitching prospects in return. With the way the team is playing now we should be able to get another good pitching prospect in the draft. Some of these guys will work out. Now we all need to be patient and let the team rebuild itself for a run in a couple of years.

Sections
Shortcuts