Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and...

Just dumping the money was the biggest thing to do.  We basically gave away 60mil for one productive player.  That in itself is a huge positive going forward.  Now the Sox can get back to Sox baseball (dirtdog style) and win some games.  No more Fat cats plopping around telling management what to do.  Grest move.  I might even watch a game now......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

What are the chances that the combined six-year WAR* of Rubby de la Rosa, Allen Webster, Jerry Sands and Ivan DeJesus (plus the six-week WAR of James Loney) will exceed 10.0?

What are the chances that Rubby de la Rosa or Allen Webster ever post a WAR as high the 1.8 Josh Beckett has posted so far in his disasterous 2012 season?

With the reported trade, the Red Sox will field a far less talented team. In the offseason I suspect the Sox will be far less likely to pursue big-ticket free agents and more likely to go dumpster-diving for bargains. The success in the next few years may depend on the development of Red Sox prospects.

The Red Sox got needed salary relief but the fans may need to wait a few years for a return to the postseason.

On the other side, the Dodgers may find themselves in the Red Sox predicament with long-term contracts if the Blue falls five games under .500 in August 2013 or 2014.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

Sands approaches his at-bats wisely; he has the tools to be a good MLB player, it will be a matter of performance, those final few 'skills' where the true pros maintain consistent performance.  He was a "get" for the Sox.

Am utterly confused by some of the reports on Rubby - "wait 'til after the season" because the Jays put in a waiver claim?  And if true - uh, really Jays?  Seriously?  Totally bush maneuver - you are not competing with the RS for a playoff berth. 

Anyone know more about that?  Real info?

DeJesus ... I feel guilty writing what I did.  Everyone around here knew he had a tough break (literally), and if you want to look at it in the context of the trade, he is definitely a POSITIVE type player to have around.  But in a way, I think he was a "problem" (in a good way) for the Dodgers, and they asked us to take him.

Webster is intriguing; couldn't care less about the stats for a AA starter vs. his stuff and durability.  The minors are about learning the craft of pitching - take a look at the minor league records of many fine starters.  I think that's a great acquisition, and likely one we bargained for against the A-Gon impact on LA's pennant chase.

Loney, as others note, is here to play first base and likely leave.  Our taking him was a concession to the Dodgers.

Reality can be tough to swallow, but here's the reality: the Sox were not competitive as structured.  Atop that, they were expensive as hell.  You retool in pro sports these days via financial flexibility, and that was our biggest need in doing any deal (aside from the legit "clubhouse atmosphere" thing).

That was accomplished by acquiring young players under control, and shedding immense amounts of salary.

Honestly, that is one brilliant trade for the Sox.  And if the Dodgers go deep into the playoffs, a good one for them, too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

GA all..heard about this late on my way home last night..is this done already???..whew!!.. that's a lot of scratch leaving the Bosox payroll...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and...:
    Am utterly confused by some of the reports on Rubby - "wait 'til after the season" because the Jays put in a waiver claim?  And if true - uh, really Jays?  Seriously?  Totally bush maneuver - you are not competing with the RS for a playoff berth.  Anyone know more about that?  Real info?
    Posted by ABQDan

I have no first-hand knowledge, but the Toronto Blue Jays have been reported to be in search of starting pitching. I would not be surprised that Jays placed a claim on Rubby de la Rosa in hopes of working out a trade to improve their pitching staff this year and in the future. The Dodgers apparently revoked the waiver after the Jays made their claim, rendering de la Rosa untradeable for the remainder of the season.

What  is this "bush maneuver" you cite? Neither the Jays nor the Red Sox are competing for a postseason berth.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and...:
    Only had to pay 12mm out of pocket to do it... Sox get 2 potential TOR starters a power hitting 1b and a utility infielder. Oh, and get James Loney to man 1b for the rest of the year. Now with a projected payroll of 45.6mm before arb cases and possible re-signs next year, the Sox have all the financial flexibility in the world. Sorry softy, Ells just might be staying a while :) So, What do all you "Worst GM ever" folks have to say about BC now? I say BC just made one of the most brilliant trades in MLB...Thank You Ben Cherrington. Now lets get this ball rolling again in Boston!!! EDIT : just read that trade completion was not official yet...Was prematurely released as official...But this will get done, and when it does, I will be one happy Sox fan!!! EDIT2 : Ok, just read from more sources that it is indeed official...
    Posted by southpaw777

Amen!!! Fabulous trade by the Red Sox...perhaps the best trade in club history! A franchise saver!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

GA all..heard about this late on my way home last night..is this done already???..whew!!.. that's a lot of scratch leaving the Bosox payroll...
    Posted by jete02fan

Done deal Jetes...Sox get 4 prospects and James loney for the rest of the year and pay only 12mm...LA gets Gonzo, CC, Beckett and Punto along with their bloated contracts...
    LA might be the winners of the deal for this year, But the Sox are the long-term winners by far in this deal IMO...
    Now its time to get back to some Boston dirt dog baseball and move on from the pampered players country club...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Now that Theo has been erased from the Sox history, it is time for the FO to show what direction the new look Sox will go...this should be an interesting off season.  Of course with the desire to stay below the luxury tax, the Sox don't have as much to spend as in years past, but certainly enough to bring in some real talent for this team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Rumored Red Sox acquisition Jerry Sands had a two-run homer in four at-bats for the Albuquerque Isotopes before being pulled in Memphis on Saturday evening:

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2012_08_25_albaaa_mrbaaa_1

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In Response to Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and... : I don't believe that Ellsbury wants to remain with the Red Sox and wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't resign.  At least I have heard this mentioned several times.  This trade wasn't really about being able to sign Ellsbury to a long-term deal.  Although, I suppose that it could happen, I would be surprised if he decided to remain with the Red Sox. 
    Posted by susan250

Hi susan I think there is a good chance the Red Sox hold onto Elles until July 2013 and see where he and the team are at production wise. They will make an offer that following winter, though I hope not top dollar.

Otherwise they might trade him this winter if it were to land a "Felix type" pitcher.  I worry we will have no speed once that happens and the slow-footed Sox of our past will return. Station to station ball waiting for that home-run.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and... : You think LL/Werner/Henry let BC do this deal all by himself? This smacks of what Henry did with Sea; he may be selling the team.
    Posted by nhsteven

someone brought up on pats board, patseng, wising kraft buys red sox.
    that's a nice fantasy i endorse. would love to have a better owner who wont get involved but supports with $, and wants to win and one of the better gms in the league. fingers crossed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

You have to take this deal for what it is. A way to get rid of long term expensive contracts that were killing the payroll flexibility. A chance to start over again and rebuild the team. It will not improve the team immediately. The talent we are receiving does not come close to matching the talent we are losing.  It is a safe bet that the players we are losing will have some success with the Dodgers , and there will be plenty of complaining here about what a blunder this deal was. That is pretty sure to happen.  However , we are not winning now and there was no indication that we were going to.  So , this is a chance for a new beginning. I have to give Ben credit for making it happen. Only time will tell how it works out.
    Posted by dgalehouse

good post. but i think ben is only the face of this trade i think lucky is the orchestrator

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Just dumping the money was the biggest thing to do.  We basically gave away 60mil for one productive player.  That in itself is a huge positive going forward.  Now the Sox can get back to Sox baseball (dirtdog style) and win some games.  No more Fat cats plopping around telling management what to do.  Grest move.  I might even watch a game now......
    Posted by Mchampion

+1

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

What are the chances that the combined six-year WAR* of Rubby de la Rosa, Allen Webster, Jerry Sands and Ivan DeJesus (plus the six-week WAR of James Loney) will exceed 10.0? What are the chances that Rubby de la Rosa or Allen Webster ever post a WAR as high the 1.8 Josh Beckett has posted so far in his disasterous 2012 season? With the reported trade, the Red Sox will field a far less talented team. In the offseason I suspect the Sox will be far less likely to pursue big-ticket free agents and more likely to go dumpster-diving for bargains. The success in the next few years may depend on the development of Red Sox prospects. The Red Sox got needed salary relief but the fans may need to wait a few years for a return to the postseason. On the other side, the Dodgers may find themselves in the Red Sox predicament with long-term contracts if the Blue falls five games under .500 in August 2013 or 2014.
    Posted by hill55

they jsut signed a 3 billion dollar tv deal thats with a b, so they can pay any luxury tax they want

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In Response to Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and... : I have no first-hand knowledge, but the Toronto Blue Jays have been reported to be in search of starting pitching. I would not be surprised that Jays placed a claim on Rubby de la Rosa in hopes of working out a trade to improve their pitching staff this year and in the future. The Dodgers apparently revoked the waiver after the Jays made their claim, rendering de la Rosa untradeable for the remainder of the season. What  is this "bush maneuver" you cite? Neither the Jays nor the Red Sox are competing for a postseason berth.
    Posted by hill55

I'm curious if you know if we can get Toronto's 'permission' or through negotiation to get delaRosa before the end of the season?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In Response to Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and... : someone brought up on pats board, patseng, wising kraft buys red sox. that's a nice fantasy i endorse. would love to have a better owner who wont get involved but supports with $, and wants to win and one of the better gms in the league. fingers crossed.
    Posted by bredbru

If I could interpret your first sentence, I'd probably appreciate your post more.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and... : I'm curious if you know if we can get Toronto's 'permission' or through negotiation to get delaRosa before the end of the season?
    Posted by ampoule
    PTBNL is what they were saying on mlb trade rumors.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

No, Coletti is the winner in this deal. The Dodgers will be contenders FO years to come while the Red Sox will be basement dwellers. The MLB network poll shows 77% believe LA came out ahead while only 17% think Boston did. Welcome to the 17%.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortuee. Show Ortuee's posts

this is crazy.. we spend 100+M just a couple years ago, moves nearly everyone thought  would put this team in contention for the forseeable future....and we drop it all 1 1/2 years later, quicker than the wind from a duck's bum (that's from Chinatown - Jack Nicholson) with the same people who were excited about all the signings/extensions/trades hailing this move with greater enthusiasm.....well the big cloud hanging over all this is the brain trust that put us in this position....they need to go.....who insisted on signing Crawford above the concerns of even Henry....who affirmed the trade of 4 of our top prospects for 1 year of Agon.....whose hand is behind most of the decisions which shaped this mess, including the signing of Bobby V, the hand on Cherington's shoulder guiding his every move.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

It had to be done. The Red Sox can reload next year and really only lose Agon. Agon is a good to great player but getting rid of all those salaries is something that I honestly did not think could be accomplished.
    Posted by snakeoil123

Agree.  I'd go even further;  while I would have been happy to keep AGon, too many people around here think baseball still operates under the Reserve Clause.  We lose AGon, we gain $23m/year to replace him.  It's not that big a deal....I've always been opposed to spending big money on 1B/DH guys anyway...it's too easy to find decent, cheap alternatives leaving the big money to be spent up the middle.

How many times do people have to be reminded that when the Sox put Manny on irrevocable waivers on 30 October 2003 EVERY OTHER TEAM DECLINED TO TAKE HIM FOR FREE?!  http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1650053

You would have though light would have dawned over marbleheads at that point, but apparently not.

It is absolutely foolish to attempt to disassociate money from talent and has been since 1974....yet some fools persist.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

No, Coletti is the winner in this deal. The Dodgers will be contenders FO years to come while the Red Sox will be basement dwellers. The MLB network poll shows 77% believe LA came out ahead while only 17% think Boston did. Welcome to the 17%.
    Posted by Alibiike

Funny, I never saw that ridiculous poll and Im sure a lot of other folks didnt either. if you want to go along with what a few random baseball fans think to prove your point, go ahead. Ill stick to not over reacting. You realize that this team does not belong in the financial class with the pirates, rays, royals and A's right? They DONT have to wait for ALL their prospects to develop to compete and just go after all the scrap FA who are left in Jan/Feb. They DO have prospects and $$ to trade and sign anyone in MLB that would do a deal with them. To say they will be basement dwellers for years to come is just negativity and over reaction...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Only an idiot would think any rebuilding we do would equate to a KC, Pitt, or Cleveland style plan. Ali is a complete twad. 

Did we just trade away Pedroia and Clay or Beckett and Crawford? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to "Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and...":
    I think the new look Sox will be fun to watch again.  It has been 5 years since this team did anything worth mentioning and now every team in the AL East has surpassed them in talent and potential.  Let's see how the FO handles the new beginning this winter... Posted by traven
    If the past 5 years is any indication, they wil be content to dumpster dive as usual.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and...:
    Only had to pay 12mm out of pocket to do it... Sox get 2 potential TOR starters a power hitting 1b and a utility infielder. Oh, and get James Loney to man 1b for the rest of the year. Now with a projected payroll of 45.6mm before arb cases and possible re-signs next year, the Sox have all the financial flexibility in the world. Sorry softy, Ells just might be staying a while :) So, What do all you "Worst GM ever" folks have to say about BC now? I say BC just made one of the most brilliant trades in MLB...Thank You Ben Cherrington. Now lets get this ball rolling again in Boston!!! EDIT : just read that trade completion was not official yet...Was prematurely released as official...But this will get done, and when it does, I will be one happy Sox fan!!! EDIT2 : Ok, just read from more sources that it is indeed official...
    Posted by southpaw777

Hate to repeat myself....This was all ownerships doing not Cherringtons. Sorry to burst your bubble.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to "Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and...":
    In Response to Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and... : Funny, I never saw that ridiculous poll and Im sure a lot of other folks didnt either. if you want to go along with what a few random baseball fans think to prove your point, go ahead. Ill stick to not over reacting. You realize that this team does not belong in the financial class with the pirates, rays, royals and A's right? They DONT have to wait for ALL their prospects to develop to compete and just go after all the scrap FA who are left in Jan/Feb. They DO have prospects and $$ to trade and sign anyone in MLB that would do a deal with them. To say they will be basement dwellers for years to come is just negativity and over reaction... Posted by southpaw777
    Time will tell. This organization believes in improving frm within. Just how long do you think it will take before the youngsters are ready to lead this team? Papi will be gone next year which leaves only Pedey and Lester to carry the team.

Sections
Shortcuts