Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and...

In Response to Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and... : we will draft early in comming years..
    Posted by raider3524[/QUOTE]

Maybe, maybe not. I just love the negativity of some Boston fans.
    Were not the rays or pirates...We can still make trades and grab some solid FA without breaking the bank like we did the last 2-3 years...You know, some players that are solid contributors to teams dont always cost 20mm per in free agency...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]These deals can only be evaluated in hindsight. But right now it looks like we did very well, shedding all those horrible contracts perpetrated upon the franchise by Epstein and getting a couple of good pitching prospects in return. With the way the team is playing now we should be able to get another good pitching prospect in the draft. Some of these guys will work out. Now we all need to be patient and let the team rebuild itself for a run in a couple of years.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]

Do you realy think RSN has this in them? Patience! This is a fan base that was touting "Greatest Team Ever" in 2011. I don't know that RSN has it in them to wait another 3 years to see the post season. But you never know; perhaps you are correct.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and... : Maybe, maybe not. I just love the negativity of some Boston fans. Were not the rays or pirates...We can still make trades and grab some solid FA without breaking the bank like we did the last 2-3 years...You know, some players that are solid contributors to teams dont always cost 20mm per in free agency...
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

i'm not negative...but i don't know how people think we will win right away? we had talent that could not work...i know we can get solid players for less money..but so can all the other teams..and the biiding goes from there..over paying will always be part of this game...everybody talks like it's going to be so simple..call up the kids give them playing time...if it was tht easy...we would be winning right now...talk is cheap.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and... : i'm not negative...but i don't know how people think we will win right away? we had talent that could not work...i know we can get solid players for less money..but so can all the other teams..and the biiding goes from there..over paying will always be part of this game...everybody talks like it's going to be so simple..call up the kids give them playing time...if it was tht easy...we would be winning right now...talk is cheap.
    Posted by raider3524[/QUOTE]

I think because we can offer a little more than say the rays or padres or a team like that, without breaking the bank, we will get some good FA. Never said it was going to be easy. BC just has to find the right players that will thrive in this invironment and hope a couple of our prospects can shine under the bright lights.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and... : I think because we can offer a little more than say the rays or padres or a team like that, without breaking the bank, we will get some good FA. Never said it was going to be easy. BC just has to find the right players that will thrive in this invironment and hope a couple of our prospects can shine under the bright lights.

i hope so also...i just don't want to see this team down for to long...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and... : Do you realy think RSN has this in them? Patience! This is a fan base that was touting "Greatest Team Ever" in 2011. I don't know that RSN has it in them to wait another 3 years to see the post season. But you never know; perhaps you are correct.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Now that everyone understands that the team is being rebuilt I think RSN will show a good deal of patience, at least most of us will. Yankee fans should not be celebrating too soon. The Sox are on the right track and are setting themselves up for a long run of relevance and rings. There is still money available to buy bats and the pitching has already improved with the departure of Beckett and the coming of Delarosa and Webster, most likely. Meanwhile, the Yankees still have some long term contracts to deal with. Cashman said a while ago that the franchise would adopt a new policy of fiscal restraint (Yankee style, of course). I don't think that you can maintain dominance by buying it any more.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and... : Absolutely. Now that everyone understands that the team is being rebuilt I think RSN will show a good deal of patience, at least most of us will. Yankee fans should not be celebrating too soon. The Sox are on the right track and are setting themselves up for a long run of relevance and rings. There is still money available to buy bats and the pitching has already improved with the departure of Beckett and the coming of Delarosa and Webster, most likely. Meanwhile, the Yankees still have some long term contracts to deal with. Cashman said a while ago that the franchise would adopt a new policy of fiscal restraint (Yankee style, of course). I don't think that you can maintain dominance by buying it any more.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]
    You may be wrong. There has to be a reason that most free agent aquisitions work in the Yankees favour & not the Red Sox favour. Everyone here is acting like these no names from L.A. are going to save the franchise.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

This could alao be a deal that will help Henry and Co. SELL this team. nhsteve mentioned that as well as what I was also thinking could be a possibility too...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Yes inking Elles to a mega deal is just what BC should do!  Brilliant! I mean we all know how awesome Jacoby was in 2011 and.... um... and... when else was he really good again?
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]

That would be that very unimportant time called the playoffs in 2007 ...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]This could alao be a deal that will help Henry and Co. SELL this team. nhsteve mentioned that as well as what I was also thinking could be a possibility too...
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]A lot of truth to that........  A real balllsey move for sure.  I call it "SMART BASEBALL & BUSINESS TOO"  !!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

The prospects the RS got back are pathetic in terms of what the RS gave up...Slomag said it better than me yesterrday:
    "James Loney is a first baseman with a .646 OPS, which is to say he has no place in major-league baseball.  He is 28 - it's not going to get any better.

Allen Webster is a 22-year-old with a 1.45 WHIP at AA.  Maybe one day he'll be a fourth starter.

Ivan De Jesus is 25-year-old utility infielder / outfielder who could maybe give Ciriaco a run for his money as a bench player.

Rubby De La Rosa looked like a potential #3 starter in very limited innings before he underwent Tommy John surgery.  Who knows?

Jerry Sands is the most promising - a 24-year old without a natural position who might be an average first-baseman or slow, clumsy outfielder, but is a very good hitter.  Even Sands's numbers have dropped every year in professional baseball.

So basically, we're p1ssing Agon away to dump salary - there's no return here to jump up and down about.  And why are fans excited about dumping salary?  So we can go out and bid for a head-case like Zach Greinke, or an addict like Josh Hamilton?  Brilliant!  Perfect fits for the brightest spotlight in professional sports.

We don't need to blow up this roster - we need to stay healthy for a season.  We're not that far away from contending - this will set us back years!"

As a Yankee fan, the scared fan in me is relieved the RS, even with Ells and Middlebrooks and Criaco and Big Papi (you better pray he re-signs, but then again he might not want to finish out on a rebuilding team) will be a third place team at best anmaybe worse...The rivalry-riveted fan in me knows that the Yankee-Red Sox fisticuffs is not going to be all that dramatic for sometime to come...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and...": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and... : Maybe, maybe not. I just love the negativity of some Boston fans. Were not the rays or pirates...We can still make trades and grab some solid FA without breaking the bank like we did the last 2-3 years...You know, some players that are solid contributors to teams dont always cost 20mm per in free agency... Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE] This trade was a no brainer and exactly what this organization needed to do. I still can't believe the Dodgers are taking the Crawford deal. They now have the flexibility to do whatever they want to do in the coming years and they still have a core of talent to build around...They freed up a ton of money and got rid of 3 players who didn't want to be here. The only problem is that the perpetual whiners on this board just lost 4 of their favorite targets...

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

You have to take this deal for what it is. A way to get rid of long term expensive contracts that were killing the payroll flexibility. A chance to start over again and rebuild the team. It will not improve the team immediately. The talent we are receiving does not come close to matching the talent we are losing.  It is a safe bet that the players we are losing will have some success with the Dodgers , and there will be plenty of complaining here about what a blunder this deal was. That is pretty sure to happen.  However , we are not winning now and there was no indication that we were going to.  So , this is a chance for a new beginning. I have to give Ben credit for making it happen. Only time will tell how it works out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and... : You may be wrong. There has to be a reason that most free agent aquisitions work in the Yankees favour & not the Red Sox favour. Everyone here is acting like these no names from L.A. are going to save the franchise.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

No one is saying that the new guys will "save the franchise". But its a good start. It tells me that our FO has learned that five years of staying the course hasn't worked out and that they are ready to make bold moves to improve the team. The pitching HAD to be improved, and it was. There is still a long way to go. We still need an ace pitcher.
    As for the Yankees, think AROD is worth $29M this year? Think he will be worth $20M in five years? How did AJ Burnett work out for them? Those are two bad contracts that come to mind; there are probably others.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Yes inking Elles to a mega deal is just what BC should do!  Brilliant! I mean we all know how awesome Jacoby was in 2011 and.... um... and... when else was he really good again?
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]

I don't believe that Ellsbury wants to remain with the Red Sox and wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't resign.  At least I have heard this mentioned several times.  This trade wasn't really about being able to sign Ellsbury to a long-term deal.  Although, I suppose that it could happen, I would be surprised if he decided to remain with the Red Sox. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I think the new look Sox will be fun to watch again.  It has been 5 years since this team did anything worth mentioning and now every team in the AL East has surpassed them in talent and potential. 

Let's see how the FO handles the new beginning this winter...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I still believe we already have 2 TOR starters in Buchholz and Lester...Has Buch not pitched like an "Ace" this year? Sure he has a rough start after his back issue last year, but since the start of June hes been one of the best pitchers IMO...Lester will right the ship and has already started to do so. So many people forget that these 2 pitchers were in cy young talks not so long ago...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]I still believe we already have 2 TOR starters in Buchholz and Lester...Has Buch not pitched like an "Ace" this year? Sure he has a rough start after his back issue last year, but since the start of June hes been one of the best pitchers IMO...Lester will right the ship and has already started to do so. So many people forget that these 2 pitchers were in cy young talks not so long ago...

Since June 1st, Buch has pitched 88 2/3 innings with a 2.74 ERA.  That's not bad at all.  I'm curious to see if he's able to keep it going into 2013.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and... : Since June 1st, Buch has pitched 88 2/3 innings with a 2.74 ERA.  That's not bad at all.  I'm curious to see if he's able to keep it going into 2013.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

His "stuff" is some of the best in all MLB when hes on his game IMO...He just needs to prove he can pitch 200 innings a year, which he hasnt yet...I also believe Lester will return and have a strong year in 2013 as well...Well Im hoping anyway...He just had a bad year this year...It happens...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

clay and jon are fine////but we need a true ace....hope we can swing a deal for one in hot stove sessions....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Im sure this is just the beginning of whats to come geo...More moves this offseason...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CRJB1. Show CRJB1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Cherrington pulls off deal of the century and... : So your saying  deal of century because we got rid of those players? Tell me how you know  what our returns are going to do????
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]

The returns will likely not do much, but it's what we can do with the freed up money is what we are salivating at. 60 Million a year was tied up in those 4 players alone. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

RS traded possibility of immediate performance for financial flexibility.  Prospects were secondary.

I live in ABQ, see the odd Isotopes game.  Keep in mind it's a mile-high city; power numbers here should be viewed like those in Denver, only this is a minor league park.  OTOH, the sun makes contact a bit more difficult here (park configuration).  Sands is a decent prospect as a corner outfielder.

Ivan DeJesus, Jr., is lucky to have the name he does.  Will never be an MLB player.  Scrappy and loveable - and needs every ounce of that to stay in a AAA lineup. 

Haven't seen the pitchers, so won't offer thoughts (though keep in mind pitching here is usually not good for one's #'s).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]RS traded possibility of immediate performance for financial flexibility.  Prospects were secondary. I live in ABQ, see the odd Isotopes game.  Keep in mind it's a mile-high city; power numbers here should be viewed like those in Denver, only this is a minor league park.  OTOH, the sun makes contact a bit more difficult here (park configuration).  Sands is a decent prospect as a corner outfielder. Ivan DeJesus, Jr., is lucky to have the name he does.  Will never be an MLB player.  Scrappy and loveable - and needs every ounce of that to stay in a AAA lineup.  Haven't seen the pitchers, so won't offer thoughts (though keep in mind pitching here is usually not good for one's #'s).
    Posted by ABQDan[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info Dan. I think Sands might benefit playing in Fenway and having the Monster 300ft away. We'll have to wait and see...DeJesus was only expected to be a UIOF anyway and The pitchers seem like solid prospects, but the main thing was dumping these contracts and some personalities that didnt fit here...

Sections
Shortcuts