Cherry is a Clueless Incompetent: In his own words:

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Cherry is a Clueless Incompetent: In his own words:

In response to wallyisdead's comment:

Slobbering drivel.

Yet more insults. Do you know anything about baseball?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Yonkersman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The market determined the amount of Crawford's contract. Didn't the Angels make a similar offer. The Dodgers think that Crawford might be worth it. The Yankees didn't need Crawford at that time but would have made a decent offer also.

Why is the OP blaming Cherrington when it was Theo who made the deal?

[/QUOTE]

Because the OP hasnt a clue.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

He was the best left fielder in MLB at the time. He had a 300/350/400 for 8 straight years in tampa along with 50 sb per year led the al in triples 5 times and played an average of 150 games per year.    Yes trotter he really sucked IMHO he will be a great of in LA and we should have never traded him, Beckett and agon

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

He was the best left fielder in mlb at the time. He had a 300/350/400 for 8 straight years in tampa along with 50 sb per year led the al in triples 5 times and played an average of 150 games per year.    Yes trotter he really sucked IMHO he will be a great of in LA and we should have never traded him, Beckett and agon

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Me!  Me!  Pay attention to me!  I'll post anything no matter how stupid, take the absurd side of any argument and tolerate being the most hated person on the board as LONG AS YOU PAY ATTENTION TO ME!  ME!  LOOK AT ME!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Great is a relative term. Cherington was just being nice. This quote gives no great insight into his thinking. His future actions will.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great is a relative term. Cherington was just being nice. This quote gives no great insight into his thinking. His future actions will.

[/QUOTE]

This is true.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

softy is a clueless incompetent as demonstrated by his own words.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

The only thing I think is idiotic is someone that has already made a decision on Ben Cherington's competence less than one year after he started.  Ridiculous.

I think it's reasonable to assume he had a budget to stick to last winter, and I think he made a number of good small moves e.g. Ross.  There are those that think he should have passed on Ortiz and gone after a SP but 1) I reckon he rolled the dice hoping for 2 draft picks; and 2) he ended up with a 1-year contract for the 2012 MLB OPS leader (though he didn't have enough PAs to qualify).  Result re Ben's competence?:  Unproven, but a good result

I think it's reasonable to assume he wasn't solely responsible for the wonderous Dodger deal (I think the credit has to go to Earvin "Mr. Baseball" Johnson), but who knows?  Result re Ben's competence?:  Unproven, but a great result

The rest of the noise from the squawking bird fraternity is about why not, what if, and judging things too early.  Result re Ben's competence?:  Unproven, no big deal literally or figuratively.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

he looks like a troll or whatever those things are called that harry potter goes to see to get money

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

everyday i thank god for magic johnson....we found the one person who cherry could get the better of in a trade,,,he is hapless....more drawn out drama for coaching hire - they knew BV was going to get fired for 3 months and they have to go thru this charade before picking farrell...pray that the blue jays ask for too much compenation to let him go

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

He can say Carl Crawford invented baseball for all I care, he still rid us of that god-awful contract.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Jury is definitely out on Cherington, and calling him incompetent, merely for calling Carl Crawford great at Tampa (where he was pretty darn good and drove the Sox nuts), is definitely over the top.  Everybody exaggerates a little, and most of us use the adjective great to cover all kinds of things and situations. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He can say Carl Crawford invented baseball for all I care, he still rid us of that god-awful contract.

[/QUOTE]

Nothing (in baseball terms) winds me up more than people unable to understand post-Reserve Clause baseball economics.  It's so simple, it's been out there for 37 years, yet there are still those that tilt against the economic windmill.

Should the Sox sign Josh Hamilton at the Massachusetts minimum wage of $8/hour ($12/hour on Sundays) with one week's notice if they could?  Of course, that'd be great for the Sox!!!  What about a guaranteed 8 years/$250m?  Financial suicide.

Would you take Barry Zito for 2013 if the Giants offered him in trade?  He11 no, he'd cost $20m!  Would you claim him for free if the Giants waived him?  Of course, a huge bargain! Geddit?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

The Los Angeles Dosgers are idiots... thankfully. What Cherington did had more to do with the Dodgers being dumb than he being smart.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Not saying he is incompetent, but I have no confidence in him with the garbage he picked up this year in trades except for Cody Ross, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

While I am glad that the Red Sox were able to free up all of that money, I don't think the deal was as bad for the Dodgers as most people think.  The Dodgers had a legitimate shot at making the postseason and as winning a WS and they went for it.

It didn't pan out for them this year, but the Dodgers got 3 potentially very good players.  It remains to be seen how this turns out for the Dogders in the next several years.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The only mental midget smaller than Cherry, slobbering over "the great Carl Crawbust", is the stooge with his 2012 slobbering million dollar contract offers for a pregnant looking old good ole boy bum who is aptly called Tim Wastefield.

[/QUOTE]

This post is diaherria of the keyboard this is even bad for you.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Trotter occasionally you have gem of insight but not in this post. Fail. 

If you'll recall Theo signed Crawford and Cherry managed to get rid of him. As of today that reflects well on Cherry and badly on Theo. Of course not as bad as your pathetic trollish witchhunt of a player no one else is even talking about. 

I realize you are sad that Dice K has played his last wretched game for the Red Sox but you could have done a better job of channeling your emotions than this.

I will say that your incredible pretzel logic of condeming both the Crawford signing and the Crawford trade is an all time achievement in myopia.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

While I am glad that the Red Sox were able to free up all of that money, I don't think the deal was as bad for the Dodgers as most people think.  The Dodgers had a legitimate shot at making the postseason and as winning a WS and they went for it.

It didn't pan out for them this year, but the Dodgers got 3 potentially very good players.  It remains to be seen how this turns out for the Dogders in the next several years.

[/QUOTE]

I don't agree, Kimmi.  Even without the "farm scraps" I think the Sox completely hoodwinked Earvin "Mr. Baseball" Johnson....but to get two top pitching prospects and three warm bodies too?  Still amazed by the deal....if either Rubby or Allen comes good, it'll rival the legendary dealing of Bob McAdon't for (effectively) ML Carr, Robert Parrish and farm scrap Kevin McHale.