Chin Soo Choo turned down BIG offer from Yankees

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Chin Soo Choo turned down BIG offer from Yankees

From Yahoo.com.Here's a paragraph and link to read the whole article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/10-degrees--shin-soo-choo-remains-the-riddle-of-the-free-agent-market-165809610.html

Superagent Scott Boras does some of his finest work in the latter stages of free agency. And in the case of Shin-Soo Choo, he faces yet another challenge in a career built on slaying them: find Choo a contract for the $140 million the New York Yankees offered him even after they signed Jacoby Ellsbury.

In the aftermath of Robinson Cano's defection to Seattle, New York presented Choo a seven-year, $140 million deal, three sources outside the Yankees' organization told Yahoo Sports. When Boras countered asking for more money – one source indicated he wanted "Ellsbury money," or $153 million over seven years – the Yankees pulled the offer and signed Carlos Beltran to a three-year, $45 million deal.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Chin Soo Choo turned down BIG offer from Yankees

wow... I don't see Texas or Detroit going beyond 7/140.  it's reported that Houston could be willing to give him 8 yrs but does he really want to play for the Astros?  He will be spending his peak yrs with the worst team in the baseball.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Choo isn't worth Ellsbury money. Well neither is Ellsbury. Unreal the amount of greed these athletes and agents have.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

wow... I don't see Texas or Detroit going beyond 7/140.  it's reported that Houston could be willing to give him 8 yrs but does he really want to play for the Astros?  He will be spending his peak yrs with the worst team in the baseball.  

[/QUOTE] defiitely not the Tigers..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Choo isn't worth Ellsbury money. Well neither is Ellsbury. Unreal the amount of greed these athletes and agents have.

[/QUOTE]

I don't get the greedy line of thinking, at least in this case.  if the market avails itself, why wouldn't a guy try to get as much as possible?  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Astros will be a good team soon. They have some good players/pitchers on the farm and will spend $$.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't get the greedy line of thinking, at least in this case.  if the market avails itself, why wouldn't a guy try to get as much as possible?  

[/QUOTE]

You are right and I understand the business aspect of it. It just seems laughable to me that someone can turn down 140 million dollars to play baseball because it wasn't enough. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You are right and I understand the business aspect of it. It just seems laughable to me that someone can turn down 140 million dollars to play baseball because it wasn't enough. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree.  Ludicrous.  And, certainly, there are externalities attached to just taking the fattest check that are real: you don't get to be a hometown hero as part of your legacy (Pedroia knows this and the awesomeness of playing at Fenway forever and being a Sox lifer was worth the extra 30-30 million).  You might have to play for a baaad club (the Astros are on line 1 Mr. Choo).  You can fold under the pressure of being paid that much more than the value you could ever provide (or overcome that folding pressure with as much juice as you can shoot ... ARod style).  And you have to buy an insane number of steak dinners for entire teams.

Mo money.  Mo problems.

But, I can't blame a person for going out and getting market price for his services, however absurdly inflated that market is.

Ellsbury, in my best guess, is going to have a few regrets as he sleeps on his silk pillows stuffed with benjamins.  He no longer can be the hometown hero he could have been.  Just another mercenary now.  The cockles of his heart shall be significantly cooler.  Also, his best years at the front end of this contract will be wasted on a Yankee organization in decline because of too many of these albatross contracts.  And then, should the Yankees get better, he will become one of these albatrosses and the New York sports world will turn on him.  But, at the end of the day, he can go chill out in his diamond encrusted hacienda that takes up half of Arizona and forget his cares.  So i don't feel for him.  But he will face these pesky externalities.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Astros will be a good team soon. They have some good players/pitchers on the farm and will spend $$.

[/QUOTE]

They have a kid named George Springer,who went to UCONN,that looks like he has a pretty good future ahead of him.Lots of power and very athletic.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree.  Ludicrous.  And, certainly, there are externalities attached to just taking the fattest check that are real: you don't get to be a hometown hero as part of your legacy (Pedroia knows this and the awesomeness of playing at Fenway forever and being a Sox lifer was worth the extra 30-30 million).  You might have to play for a baaad club (the Astros are on line 1 Mr. Choo).  You can fold under the pressure of being paid that much more than the value you could ever provide (or overcome that folding pressure with as much juice as you can shoot ... ARod style).  And you have to buy an insane number of steak dinners for entire teams.

Mo money.  Mo problems.

But, I can't blame a person for going out and getting market price for his services, however absurdly inflated that market is.

Ellsbury, in my best guess, is going to have a few regrets as he sleeps on his silk pillows stuffed with benjamins.  He no longer can be the hometown hero he could have been.  Just another mercenary now.  The cockles of his heart shall be significantly cooler.  Also, his best years at the front end of this contract will be wasted on a Yankee organization in decline because of too many of these albatross contracts.  And then, should the Yankees get better, he will become one of these albatrosses and the New York sports world will turn on him.  But, at the end of the day, he can go chill out in his diamond encrusted hacienda that takes up half of Arizona and forget his cares.  So i don't feel for him.  But he will face these pesky externalities.

[/QUOTE]
    Yea Ells was loved in Boston, unfortunately money talks and thats what he went with. Its insane how much these players are demanding now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Maybe its wrong, but I route against Boras and enjoy it when his hard ball tactics blow up in his and his clients faces. Which is rare.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mo money.  Mo problems.

[/QUOTE]
    Yea Ells was loved in Boston, unfortunately money talks and thats what he went with. Its insane how much these players are demanding now.

[/QUOTE]

Well, perhaps its just semantics.  But the players arent demanding anything.  They are requesting and suggesting.  But at the end of the day, some one is writing those checks.  Every owner shuts his or her wallet to an absurd contract request, then we don't have such outrageous numbers.  But that is not how the unfettered free market works.  I agree it is insane.  But the players are not holding the system hostage.  Its just an insane system/market.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Think of it this way ... when you are working in a business, or entertainment field you are surrounded by people who think of their value/worth relative to others in the same profession, not the average population.   So, among MLB players it is already a fraternity of millionaires.  Then it becomes an ego thing (not unlike any other profession) for a person to think "I'm just as good (worthy) as that guy".   It's no different from headline acts in Vegas or guys working at 7-11.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I doubt the Yankees offered Choo 140mil.  As I have been saying since the Ells signing the Yankees hurt Choo's chance at a big contract.  Other teams know this and have stayed away from Boras's demands on Choo.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I wonder if the Yankees would try to get Altuve from the Astros.... Gardner and some imaginary top prospect for Altuve..... or a lot of money.... the Astros love their money.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

For 140 mil i would play for Houstons minor league team.......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zinga_zinga. Show Zinga_zinga's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mo money.  Mo problems.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ellsbury had no loyalty to boston and you cannot blame him. He was ripped on a daily basis by the fans on sports talk radio.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My Bet is the Mariners end up going the 8th year for him.....after the Cano deal they might as well go all out

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I doubt the Yankees offered Choo 140mil.  As I have been saying since the Ells signing the Yankees hurt Choo's chance at a big contract.  Other teams know this and have stayed away from Boras's demands on Choo.

[/QUOTE]

FWIW the NY Post is saying they offered 7 years @ $20MM per. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Boras is a stupid Agent. Choo is a Career .250 hitter against Lefties, and struggles. Ellsbury is a .290 hitter against Lefties. No 1st round hold-up, should have grabbed this offer and ran.

Things are turning for this guy, QO's to his Clients are going to hurt him big time. Losing that 1st rounder will change GOOD GM's mind.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Boras isn't stupid. He's just incredibly greedy and narcissistic.  This is all being fueled by the loss of Cano as his client.

It would be nice if a few players, like Varitek did after getting screwed following his advice, to tell Boras to stop over-negotiating and get a deal done.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I see a number of other teams following suit. It's gonna be a battlefield now every season. Kinda exciting, kinda scary. lol  But we do have the champion battlers from last season, which was no walk in the park either.

Sections
Shortcuts