Chin Soo Choo turned down BIG offer from Yankees

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: Chin Soo Choo turned down BIG offer from Yankees

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Choo isn't worth Ellsbury money. Well neither is Ellsbury. Unreal the amount of greed these athletes and agents have.

I don't get the greedy line of thinking, at least in this case.  if the market avails itself, why wouldn't a guy try to get as much as possible?  

You are right and I understand the business aspect of it. It just seems laughable to me that someone can turn down 140 million dollars to play baseball because it wasn't enough. 

Yeah, I agree.  Ludicrous.  And, certainly, there are externalities attached to just taking the fattest check that are real: you don't get to be a hometown hero as part of your legacy (Pedroia knows this and the awesomeness of playing at Fenway forever and being a Sox lifer was worth the extra 30-30 million).  You might have to play for a baaad club (the Astros are on line 1 Mr. Choo).  You can fold under the pressure of being paid that much more than the value you could ever provide (or overcome that folding pressure with as much juice as you can shoot ... ARod style).  And you have to buy an insane number of steak dinners for entire teams.

Mo money.  Mo problems.

But, I can't blame a person for going out and getting market price for his services, however absurdly inflated that market is.

Ellsbury, in my best guess, is going to have a few regrets as he sleeps on his silk pillows stuffed with benjamins.  He no longer can be the hometown hero he could have been.  Just another mercenary now.  The cockles of his heart shall be significantly cooler.  Also, his best years at the front end of this contract will be wasted on a Yankee organization in decline because of too many of these albatross contracts.  And then, should the Yankees get better, he will become one of these albatrosses and the New York sports world will turn on him.  But, at the end of the day, he can go chill out in his diamond encrusted hacienda that takes up half of Arizona and forget his cares.  So i don't feel for him.  But he will face these pesky externalities.

This is a great post. Not only the content, but the writing is really good. Are you a writer, Space?

Oh, and hope that's not too personal. Don't mean it to be. Just a compliment. You don't even have to say.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

And FTR the last time I made a comment about writing was when someone put a post up -- I know his name, I just can't remember it he only stops by once in a while. This was years ago. I thought it was his, and said it was brilliant, and that he had a talent for writing, and should pursue it. He told me it was an article he posted by Chad Finn. Probably didn't include his name because he is a writer here, and everyone at that time knew it was his article except me, apparently. :)

True story, and when I remember or see him again, he'll probably remember.

Space, you're no Chad Finn (at the moment at least), but you definitely have a talent for writing. (And maybe should pursue it, even as a hobby.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Choo just sign with Texas for 130MM...Shouldve taken the NYY offer

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/shin-soo-choo-reaches-seven-year-deal-with-rangers.html

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

130 in TX is probably worth more than 140 in NY due to income tax.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:

130 in TX is probably worth more than 140 in NY due to income tax.

There is no income tax in Texas right?  I read somewhere that there is no income tax in Washington.  If that is true than Cano can just file his taxes online using H&R Block or Turbo.  LOL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Choo isn't worth Ellsbury money. Well neither is Ellsbury. Unreal the amount of greed these athletes and agents have.

+1

Sections
Shortcuts