Choices with the Sox Pitching Staff

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Choices with the Sox Pitching Staff

I like Jurrjens but I doubt he is all that available.  Initially, Atlanta wanted a "Greinke like" return package for him, which is just silly. 

THe problem with Jurrjens is that the Braves already dealt away Lowe and Hanson is injured. They can't unload all their pitching.

Another guy who might be available I'd like to see the Sox consider is Francisco Liriano.  He could make about $6mill after arbitration.  His poor season in 2011 is probably due to a combination of nagging injuries and a very slow start.  He is better than that, although their are concerns about his coachability and potentially his health...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Choices with the Sox Pitching Staff:
    I like Jurrjens but I doubt he is all that available.  Initially, Atlanta wanted a "Greinke like" return package for him, which is just silly.  THe problem with Jurrjens is that the Braves already dealt away Lowe and Hanson is injured. They can't unload all their pitching. Another guy who might be available I'd like to see the Sox consider is Francisco Liriano.  He could make about $6mill after arbitration.  His poor season in 2011 is probably due to a combination of nagging injuries and a very slow start.  He is better than that, although their are concerns about his coachability and potentially his health...
    Posted by notin

What would it take to land Francisco?

What about Wandy (if the 'Stros paid some salary)?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I'm not very high on Wandy.

But both teams finished in last last year, so they have some needs.

I'd expect Liriano to cost a little bit less than what Ubaldo Jimenez went for.  So,if that is true, he will cost alot.  But I hope the Sox ask and see what the demand is.. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

I hope the Kuroda signing doesn't cause a knee-jerk reaction and an Oswalt signing for too much money. We should trade for Gavin Floyd. I wonder if Seattle would have taken Lava and others for Pineda.
    Posted by moonslav59

Agree. Could see Larry overreacting to these moves. Don't trust Oswalt to hold up. Look Yanks made good moves on paper, but they did give up some pretty good players in Montero/Noesi. If Yankee fan, thing I would like most is these moves make AJ the #5.
    But the thing this move really does is make Yankee rotation much younger, W/Pineda/Hughes/Nova make up a good young nucleus. Pineda 1 of best fastballs, if downside he's a flyball pitcher in a park that gives them up [Not Safeco anymore] and had some problems w/ LH hitters splits. RS lineup might not be good matchup for him.
    As for Kuroda signing give Cashman credit or lets say Yankee way they're always willing to spend a little more than anyone else. Have to believe reports RS were in on this, but 8-9 was probably where they wanted to be and he knew this and did what Yanks do better than anyone else. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

I like Jurrjens but I doubt he is all that available.  Initially, Atlanta wanted a "Greinke like" return package for him, which is just silly.  THe problem with Jurrjens is that the Braves already dealt away Lowe and Hanson is injured. They can't unload all their pitching. Another guy who might be available I'd like to see the Sox consider is Francisco Liriano.  He could make about $6mill after arbitration.  His poor season in 2011 is probably due to a combination of nagging injuries and a very slow start.  He is better than that, although their are concerns about his coachability and potentially his health...
    Posted by notin

Both of these guys scare me. Jurrjens [physically] and Liriano [mentally]. Jurrjens has had problems w/ same knee now 2x in his career and Braves have habit of getting rid of pitchers at right time. As for Liriano, been said he has a CY arm but Larry the Cable guy type work out habits. Not sure either of these guys would be worth the cost in prospects considering the risk?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Choices with the Sox Pitching Staff : Both of these guys scare me. Jurrjens [physically] and Liriano [mentally]. Jurrjens has had problems w/ same knee now 2x in his career and Braves have habit of getting rid of pitchers at right time. As for Liriano, been said he has a CY arm but Larry the Cable guy type work out habits. Not sure either of these guys would be worth the cost in prospects considering the risk?
    Posted by garyhow

I understand the risk involved, but that risk is what may cause the return cost to be lower than what these guys are worth when healthy and on their game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

No money for FAs and no one to trade, that any team would want. If Henry doesn't agree to go well above the cap, the RS are destined for a 4th place finish. They better re-sign Wakefield if they know what's good for them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No money for FAs and no one to trade, that any team would want.
    If Henry doesn't agree to go well above the cap, the RS are destined for a 4th place finish.
    They better re-sign Wakefield if they know what's good for them.

Best offense in MLB again in 2012.
    Beckett, Lester, Buch, Bard, Aceves, Bailey and Melancon compare pretty well to anyone elses top 7 pitchers.
    Farm sytem usually rated about 15th, but with so many top draft picks last year, it should improve.
    I think lots of teams would love to have:
    Lavarnway, Iglesias, Middlebrooks, Doubront, Ranaudo, Barnes, Cecchini, Brentz, Jacobs, Tazawa, Hassan, Swihart, Coyle, Wilson, Tejada, Britton, Vitek, Bradley, and more...

Sure we have holes, but so do 29 other teams.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

No money for FAs and no one to trade, that any team would want. If Henry doesn't agree to go well above the cap, the RS are destined for a 4th place finish. They better re-sign Wakefield if they know what's good for them. Best offense in MLB again in 2012. Beckett, Lester, Buch, Bard, Aceves, Bailey and Melancon compare pretty well to anyone elses top 7 pitchers. Farm sytem usually rated about 15th, but with so many top draft picks last year, it should improve. I think lots of teams would love to have: Lavarnway, Iglesias, Middlebrooks, Doubront, Ranaudo, Barnes, Cecchini, Brentz, Jacobs, Tazawa, Hassan, Swihart, Coyle, Wilson, Tejada, Britton, Vitek, Bradley, and more... Sure we have holes, but so do 29 other teams.
    Posted by moonslav59

Well said. After last years moves everyone had RS as favorites and how did that turn out. Let Yanks go in as favorites, I still like our chances if we can stay HEALTHY for a change.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Choices with the Sox Pitching Staff : Well said. After last years moves everyone had RS as favorites and how did that turn out. Let Yanks go in as favorites, I still like our chances if we can stay HEALTHY for a change.
    Posted by garyhow

There are some things to be optimistic about, but we still have some hoes to fill:

Craters:
    1) We need a quality innings eater 4th starter, not named Oswalt.
    2) We need a 5th starter or pen help if Bard/Aceves start.
    3) Left-side defense (could be helped with Iggy at SS).
    4) Health and Conditioning.

Pot Holes:
    1) RH'd OF'er that can effectively play RF.
    2) Catchers handling of the staff.
    3) More pen help and starter depth.

We could win with what we have now, but if we can address some of these holes, we'll improve our odds greatly.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In Response to Re: Choices with the Sox Pitching Staff : There are some things to be optimistic about, but we still have some hoes to fill: Craters: 1) We need a quality innings eater 4th starter, not named Oswalt. 2) We need a 5th starter or pen help if Bard/Aceves start. 3) Left-side defense (could be helped with Iggy at SS). 4) Health and Conditioning. Pot Holes: 1) RH'd OF'er that can effectively play RF. 2) Catchers handling of the staff. 3) More pen help and starter depth. We could win with what we have now, but if we can address some of these holes, we'll improve our odds greatly.
    Posted by moonslav59

Agree we need [1] more starter. W/Bard @ #5 iP not problem w/ Dice K coming back mid season. I have been against Oswalt signing due to back concerns. But the way market is shaping up Yanks out / Rangers hopefully sign Darvish looks like his landing spots are evaporating if RS could get on an incentive ladden deal based on starts I would do [max 8-9 mil / 25+ starts sounds about right]. As for most of the other needs not so sure. I could live w/ Sweeney as starter in RF to start year w/ Mac/Aviles getting some starts vs. LH's. Maybe [1] more arm in pen Wheeler[resign] or C.Qualls type would work. But something tells me RS are going to give Bowden every opp to win that spot. OK w/ Miller / Doubront/ Tazawa/ Aceves as insurance due to injury for rotation. LF side defense is a weak spot and agree Iggy will make difference if he does anything offensively @ AAA. If he could just give us 230-240 avg would bring him up now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...LF side defense is a weak spot and agree Iggy will make difference if he does anything offensively @ AAA. If he could just give us 230-240 avg would bring him up now.

Say we go with Iggy instead of Scutty at SS, here's about the worst-case scenario...

If Scutaro gives us 500 ABs (doubtful), he may get 140 hits (.280). Aviles and Punto might get 50 ABs at SS and give us 13 hits (.260). That's 153/550 (.278) total.

If Iggy was our FT SS and was PH for often late in games, we might see this:
    Iggy:                 80/400 (.200)
    Aviles/Punto:    39/150 (.260)
    Total:               119/550 (.216)

In total, we get about 34 less hits on offense, many of them probably doubles, but nonetheless, it's only 34 more hits! Of course Scutty will walk more than Iggy (maybe 45 to 29), so we're looking at 50 more times on base.

I can easily see Iggy saving 100 basehits over Scutty and making many more good relay throws to nail runners or keep them from even trying to take an extra base.

To me, starting Iggy is a no-brainer. The salary space we'd save by trading Scutty would just be icing on the cake, plus we'd probably get a decent prospect as well. It's a win-win-win situation...
    1) Improve our team immediately (Iggy > Scutty)
    2) Create salary space to improve elsewhere ($4-6M)
    3) Improve our farm with a prospect (Return in trade)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

He definately would be an upgrade defensively. Not only will he take some base hits away, but how many times do we not turn the dbl play that might get us out of an inning? How many extra innings do we get out of starters because of the extra outs generated, the bullpen gets better because fewer ip. Its a win - win he just can't be a black hole offensively he's going to have to contribute something.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but if he can create 100 outs by making more plays, turning more DPs, and making key relay throws (or hold runners from even trying), then even if he hits .000, the 100 extra outs we get on defense makes him almost like a .200 hitter. If he hits .100: he's almost like a .300 hitter. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

Sections
Shortcuts