CHRIS DAVis: "i only recognize ROGER MARIS as the HR champ!"... agree?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

Re: CHRIS DAVis:

In response to CommyContrarianOnTwitter's comment:

i agree, class act. maris deserves it. sosa was a fraud, mcgwire was a fraud, bonds was the ultimate fraud! court of pub opinion should demand thats one rec that should b stricken. davis should b awarded and allauded if he hits 62!

But Ford Frick said that Maris's record was not really valid since he needed 162 games to hit his 61 home runs.  The true record is held by Babe Ruth, with his 60 home runs in a 154-game season in 1927.  

But then you might say that Ruth had the advanrtage of playing in the live-ball era.  The real home run standard might be something like Home Run Baker's 12 home runs in the 1913 dead-ball season. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

i agree, class act. maris deserves it. sosa was a fraud, mcgwire was a fraud, bonds was the ultimate fraud! court of pub opinion should demand thats one rec that should b stricken. davis should b awarded and allauded if he hits 62!

But how does one suddenly explain Davis hitting lights out this year after being a so so player for years. Did he learn the secret of Wade Boggs chicken recipe !!

Kidding of course. Some players mature earlier, some later and it's nice to see Davis doing so well even if it is in Baltimore. We need to start a rumor that he sign with the Sox once he hits free agency. That way we can feed the media's rumor mill. 

Hetch

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Sadaharu Oh is the all time HR king.

Ruth only had to face white arms & balls bouncing over the fence were 4 baggers.

Maris had 162 games + greenies.

Oh hit 55 in 140 games and 868 for his career.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Hammering Hank is the HR King - end of story

As always - 100% correct!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

Ruth only had to face white arms & balls bouncing over the fence were 4 baggers.

So Oh facing 1960-ish Asian arms is better than Ruth facing white arms, and FWIW the year he hit 60 was more than any team had, which he did a few times.

And while he probably did, do you have any proof that Maris did greenies? Something that Aaron & Mays admitted to? Should we throw those guys out of the HOF?  What a shock. As usual, yours is an extreme NYY complex ridden opinion.

(FTR, while these supplements were not legal w/o a prescription, they were NOT at that time a MLB related violation.)

While we're at it, let's conclude there was no real .400 hitter because they all occurred pre-integration. TW wasn't that good after all; white arms & a rumored occasional greenie popper, as was half the league. It's a what's good for the goose gander thing.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In defense of Davis amid the whispers of ped use Maris never came close to hitting 61 in the seasons before or after 1961.

Of course it helped batting 3rd in the order ahead of Mickey Mantle batting clean-up. And Mantle hit 54 despite numerous injuries and missed games during the 61 season.

Hard to predict how many Davis will hit. I really hope he is clean.

And in my book Maris and Hank are the true HR kings.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

In defense of Davis amid the whispers of ped use Maris never came close to hitting 61 in the seasons before or after 1961.

Of course it helped batting 3rd in the order ahead of Mickey Mantle batting clean-up. And Mantle hit 54 despite numerous injuries and missed games during the 61 season.

Maris had 39 the yr before, good for 2nd in the league to Mickey, including garnering his  1st MVP; Mickey was a close 2nd; Maris also nursed an injury for 7 weeks that sapped him of his power; before that, he was even on a more torrid pace than in '61, and some speculated on the record that yr.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

No doubt in my mind-Maris/Aaron.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Maris had 39 the yr before, good for 2nd in the league to Mickey, including garnering his  1st MVP; Mickey was a close 2nd; Maris also nursed an injury for 7 weeks that sapped him of his power; before that, he was even on a more torrid pace than in '61, and some speculated on the record that yr.

And Chris Davis had 33 last season which makes his career more comparable to Maris. And we don't know how Davis will fare down the stretch, still another half. I have no idea if Davis is on juice or not but I do see some similarities with Maris in 61.

Davis has never failed a drug test, but I would point out that neither did Bonds or Lance Armstrong.

This is the era we find ourselves in when a player puts up good numbers there will be doubt because of all the cheats who have basically ruined the game for all of the good guys and for all of us.

As far as the summer of 1961 before Mantle was injured the lead kept alternating back and forth between the two players, I would listen riveted to those games every night laying in bed listening to my transistor radio.

I don't remember Maris going through any major injuries in 1961 other than dealing with stress his hair failing out in clumps but Mantle struggled mid to late season season with different debillitating leg ailments sitting out stretchs of games relinquishing the homerun lead to Maris never to regain it.

Mantle had 54 homeruns 514 ABs in 1961, Maris had 61 with 590 ABs.

That's quite a difference and advantage for Maris. 76 ABs would almost be about 18-19 more games that Maris appeared in that Mantle sat out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

well now that we know Mantle corked his bat, probability is high that maris' bats were corked as well.

fwiw - i didnt say "asian arms are better than white arms" i merely stated that Ruth only faced white arms.  if you take a quick look at the top 10 WAR for pitchers over the past couple decades about half would not have been allowed to face Ruth.

oh and TW's records are valid.  he's a gosh d@rn fighter plane war hero.  when a yankee does something with a plane other than fly it into a building i will consider their exploits valid.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

So Oh facing 1960-ish Asian arms is better than Ruth facing white arms, and FWIW the year he hit 60 was more than any team had, which he did a few times.

And while he probably did, do you have any proof that Maris did greenies? Something that Aaron & Mays admitted to? Should we throw those guys out of the HOF?  What a shock. As usual, yours is an extreme NYY complex ridden opinion.

(FTR, while these supplements were not legal w/o a prescription, they were NOT at that time a MLB related violation.)

While we're at it, let's conclude there was no real .400 hitter because they all occurred pre-integration. TW wasn't that good after all; white arms & a rumored occasional greenie popper, as was half the league. It's a what's good for the goose gander thing.

as a totally objective red sox fan I have to agree with you steven. The Bambino to me will always be the sultan of swat with his 60 home run season. As for the greatest home run king career wise it has to be Hammering Hank Aron who played 23 seasons clean as a whistle.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

well now that we know Mantle corked his bat, probability is high that maris' bats were corked as well.

fwiw - i didnt say "asian arms are better than white arms" i merely stated that Ruth only faced white arms.  if you take a quick look at the top 10 WAR for pitchers over the past couple decades about half would not have been allowed to face Ruth.

oh and TW's records are valid.  he's a gosh d@rn fighter plane war hero.  when a yankee does something with a plane other than fly it into a building i will consider their exploits valid.....

You said Oh is the real HR record holder, didn't you? Hence the Asian arm comment. Try to be consistent with your inane comments when spewing your NYY hating vitriol.

So TW's .406 was valid when only hitting against white arms, yet Ruth wasn't. Ok then. See above.

True or not, the Mantle bat story was taken back by an overzealous memorabilia ploy; discussing Maris in the same vein is more of the same nonsensical NYY rhetoric. Maybe they found cork in TW's beaten frozen head; oops, my bad, I've gone down to your level. You know, the Munson-Rivera-Lidle stuff.

I'm not quite sure what flying a plane into a building has to do with exploits on the field. BTW, Jerry Coleman, one of the 12 NYYs to play on the immortal '49-'53 WS Champions (as covered in the book The October Twelve: Five Years of Yankee Glory 1949-1953) was TW's air combat buddy in the Korean War, and flew many missions himself. You certainly stepped into that one! Know your facts; when you do, I shall consider your posts valid.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Yes and OH was facing minor league pitching in Asia at best, pitchers that most likely would have been rated nothing more than prospects in the US. There have been a few American born players who couldn't cut it in MLB only to go over to Japan and find lots of success, Randy Bass for one. As for Maris, it is easy to cast doubt on him years later by bringing up GREENIES. 

Hetch

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

lol...dont get too bent Steve...you know how i roll.

btw - i consider jerry colemans stats legitimate.  even though he wasnt old enough to have also flown in WWII like my man TW.

TW's 406 isnt valid because of white arms, its valid because he played in that double header.

do i really think maris corked?  no.  but it is interesting to insinuate it.  i would deem my typing it "inappropriate" if this were a NYY board.  but since it's a RS board, it is done with humor, not vitriol. 

and honestly...regardless of what we type here...the fact remains....Oh is the Japanese League and global professional leagues HR King.  Barry Bonds is the MLB HR king.  No matter what chris davis or you or me think.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

I'm not quite sure what flying a plane into a building has to do with exploits on the field. BTW, Jerry Coleman, one of the 12 NYYs to play on the immortal '49-'53 WS Champions (as covered in the book The October Twelve: Five Years of Yankee Glory 1949-1953) was TW's air combat buddy in the Korean War, and flew many missions himself. You certainly stepped into that one! Know your facts; when you do, I shall consider your posts valid.....

[/QUOTE]

Steven, 

Just ignore Slashers rant. At best his comments are nonsensical. His knowledge of baseball and its history is warped at best. It may be his idea of a sense of humor but not mine. At least when I posted my bit of humor about Chris Davis my sarcasm was obvious, using Wade Boggs chicken recipe, Slasher's was not and doesn't come accross as humor. Just my take

Hetch

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Yes and OH was facing minor league pitching in Asia at best, pitchers that most likely would have been rated nothing more than prospects in the US. There have been a few American born players who couldn't cut it in MLB only to go over to Japan and find lots of success, Randy Bass for one. As for Maris, it is easy to cast doubt on him years later by bringing up GREENIES. 

Hetch

Yes; most of those pitchers were likely of Independent, Rookie League, A, AA quality. And while half the league did greenies on occasion back then, I never heard a story about him. I'm nearly sure Mantle did 'em, in part I'm guessing to get over hangovers and wild nights.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

The big difference between PEDs and greenies is that with greenies (basically amphetamine of some sort) the euphoric high that a user experiences on the day that he uses is followed by an equally depressing low where the user is sapped of energy the next.

Continued use of speed for a few days in a row can result in severe hallucinations.

I'm not an MD but I did grow up in the 60s and was around the stuff enough to understand and witness the highs and lows of the use of speed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Steven, 

Just ignore Slashers rant. At best his comments are nonsensical. His knowledge of baseball and its history is warped at best. 

Hetch

awww man.  i can agree about my comments being provocative sometimes (hey, i live in Yankee land...i gotta bust stones about them whenever i can!) but to kill me on knowledge and history just aint right!!!!  Cry  Surprised

while lackey is surprising me this year i was dead on about middlebrooks.  and yes, i will support Manny and his connection to us winning 2 WS until the end of days......

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

btw - i consider jerry colemans stats legitimate.  even though he wasnt old enough to have also flown in WWII like my man TW.

TW's 406 isnt valid because of white arms, its valid because he played in that double header.

do i really think maris corked?  no.  but it is interesting to insinuate it.  i would deem my typing it "inappropriate" if this were a NYY board.  but since it's a RS board, it is done with humor, not vitriol. 

and honestly...regardless of what we type here...the fact remains....Oh is the Japanese League and global professional leagues HR King.  Barry Bonds is the MLB HR king.  No matter what chris davis or you or me think.

OK, and the doubleheader was a great story, and OH is the professional HR king, but you can't diss Ruth or Maris then.

On a different note, if you want to read a great book, read the TW bio by Leigh Montville.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Let's remember that Hideki Irabu (the fat toad) was the top pitcher in Japanese baseball when Sadaharu Oh was in his prime.

If he was the best in their game you would have to wonder what else Oh faced.

He never would have achieved those numbers over here.

Godzilla was a good MLB player but he did not live up to the hype either.

Ichiro came the closest as a pure hitter having success in both countries.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Steven, 

Just ignore Slashers rant. At best his comments are nonsensical. His knowledge of baseball and its history is warped at best. 

Hetch

awww man.  i can agree about my comments being provocative sometimes (hey, i live in Yankee land...i gotta bust stones about them whenever i can!) but to kill me on knowledge and history just aint right!!!!  Cry  Surprised

while lackey is surprising me this year i was dead on about middlebrooks.  and yes, i will support Manny and his connection to us winning 2 WS until the end of days......

Slasher, 

Maybe I'm overboard in my comments of you about MLB history so apologies but taken in context your attempt at what what you call busting stones doesn't work. The fact that you live in Yankee Land is no excuse. If you want to post here with humor or sarcasm, at least to me you need to be more obvious or your comments will be taken seriously.  Just my suggestion. 

Hetch

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Incorrect about Coleman, yet again; excerpt from wikipedia; note the last sentence may be wrong.

Nicknamed "The Colonel", due to being promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel,[4] Coleman was also a Marine aviator and left baseball to serve in the Korean War, and postponing his entry into professional baseball in World War II. While a Marine Corps aviator he flew 120 combat missions, receiving numerous honors and medals including two Distinguished Flying Crosses,[5] and has been honored in recent years, including being inducted into the USMC Sports Hall of Fame,[6] for his call to duty. He is the only Major League Baseball player to have seen combat in two wars.[7][8]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Steven, 

Hetch

Slasher, 

Maybe I'm overboard in my comments of you about MLB history so apologies but taken in context your attempt at what what you call busting stones doesn't work. The fact that you live in Yankee Land is no excuse. If you want to post here with humor or sarcasm, at least to me you need to be more obvious or your comments will be taken seriously.  Just my suggestion. 

Hetch

+1

Sections
Shortcuts