Chris Iannetta traded to Angels

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Chris Iannetta traded to Angels

Rhode Island native Chris Iannetta will take his catching skills and .357 career on-base percentage from Colorado to the Los Angeles Angels in exchange for 21-year-old starter Tyler Chatwood, who entered the 2011 season as Baseball America's 76th-ranked prospect.

http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111130&content_id=26064500&vkey=news_ana&c_id=ana

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Chris Iannetta traded to Angels

Hmmm... Looks like the Angels got a good catcher. I'm not too high on Chatwood, but maybe Colorado sees more than others.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

I bet Mike Scioscia appreciates his defensive abilities more than those Mike Napoli possesses. It eludes me how the Angels sent Napoli packing when they are managed by a former catcher.

Have the Angels given up on Hank Conger or did I miss something?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Chris Iannetta traded to Angels:
    I bet Mike Scioscia appreciates his defensive abilities more than those Mike Napoli possesses. It eludes me how the Angels sent Napoli packing when they are managed by a former catcher. Have the Angels given up on Hank Conger or did I miss something?
    Posted by WesternOregon

They continually started Mathis at catcher as much as possible, despite his horrible offensive numbers. Scioscia obviously values catcher defense and CERA-related skills.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Re: Chris Iannetta traded to Angels : They continually started Mathis at catcher as much as possible, despite his horrible offensive numbers. Scioscia obviously values catcher defense and CERA-related skills.
    Posted by moonslav59

I'm guessing the owner of the Rangers doesn't subscribe to CERA and should be lauded for his ignorance. Mike Napoli looked pretty good behind the plate and was the top hitter in baseball from August forward. Nevertheless a mistake in judgement (sending Napoli away) should be duly noted and Chris Iannetta appears to be a keeper too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Chris Iannetta traded to Angels : I'm guessing the owner of the Rangers doesn't subscribe to CERA and should be lauded for his ignorance. Mike Napoli looked pretty good behind the plate and was the top hitter in baseball from August forward. Nevertheless a mistake in judgement (sending Napoli away) should be duly noted and Chris Iannetta appears to be a keeper too.
    Posted by WesternOregon

Here's a quote from Scioscia on Napoli and the link to the article...

Scioscia said injuries and durability issues were at the crux of the trade.

"We did not butt heads, that's absolutely false," Scioscia said on the "Mason and Ireland Show" on ESPN 710. "Mike had to work on stuff that didn't come naturally to him, more so than other catchers who maybe do it more naturally."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/7149521/mike-scioscia-says-ex-los-angeles-angel-mike-napoli-clash

Here's another pretty much saying the same thing...

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/26/mike-scioscia-gets-defensive-about-the-mike-napoli-trade/

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Hmmm... Looks like the Angels got a good catcher. I'm not too high on Chatwood, but maybe Colorado sees more than others.
    Posted by moonslav59

I'd take Chatwood in a heartbeat.  He's younger than Renaudo and and only 6 months older than Barnes, and already in the majors.  Given that Barnes has not even thrown a professional pitch yet, it is safe to assume he won't be in the majors in 6 months.

Chatwood might not look all that impressive just yet, but don't forget how young he is...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Chris Iannetta traded to Angels : I'm guessing the owner of the Rangers doesn't subscribe to CERA and should be lauded for his ignorance. Mike Napoli looked pretty good behind the plate and was the top hitter in baseball from August forward. Nevertheless a mistake in judgement (sending Napoli away) should be duly noted and Chris Iannetta appears to be a keeper too.
    Posted by WesternOregon

Napoli only caught 60% of the games he played for the Rangers. Torrealba is a decent catcher, but he only had a .306 OBP and .705 OPS 
    (worse OPS than VTek) in 2011.

Naploi did a fine job catching though in 2011... low PBs, low WPs, nice CS% ...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Some career statistics:

Catcher A 1546 G, .256/.341/.435/.776, 98 OPS+, 23.1 WAR-BR*
    Catcher B  458 G, .235/.357/.430/.788, 99 OPS+, 7.0 WAR-BR

Catcher A at Catcher B's current age:

92 G, .258/.331/.432/.763, 91 OPS+

Catcher A excluding his last four declining seasons:

1199 G, .276/.350/.447/.797, 103 OPS+

Catcher A is 39-year-old Jason Varitek and Catcher B is 28-year-old Chris Iannetta.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at Baseball Reference:
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/v/varitja01.shtml
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/i/iannech01.shtml

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I bet Mike Scioscia appreciates his defensive abilities more than those Mike Napoli possesses. It eludes me how the Angels sent Napoli packing when they are managed by a former catcher. Have the Angels given up on Hank Conger or did I miss something?
    Posted by WesternOregon

It justs shows you how incredibly bad the Wells trade was.

They needed to trade someone who #76 in the minors to replace the catcher they traded away.

Wells is the #4 OF on LA after Bourjous, Hunter, and Trout.

And he costs $21M.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Chris Iannetta traded to Angels : It justs shows you how incredibly bad the Wells trade was. They needed to trade someone who #76 in the minors to replace the catcher they traded away. Wells is the #4 OF on LA after Bourjous, Hunter, and Trout. And he costs $21M.
    Posted by Joebreidey

#5 if you count Abreu.  

Unless you are assuming Abreu is the DH, in which case Wells is #5 if you count Trumbo.

Unless you are assuming Trumbo is the 1B, in which case Wells is #5 if you count Kendrys Morales.

Bottom line - Wells was just overpaid depth the Angels never needed.  

And I thought it was funny fans here thought they would never trade Wells for Lackey.  They would have made that deal three times before breakfast...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Re: Chris Iannetta traded to Angels : Napoli only caught 60% of the games he played for the Rangers. Torrealba is a decent catcher, but he only had a .306 OBP and .705 OPS  (worse OPS than VTek) in 2011. Naploi did a fine job catching though in 2011... low PBs, low WPs, nice CS% ...Posted by moonslav59

I'd say that the typically solid Scioscia swung and missed on this one...as for Napoli's playing time? He was starting catcher in 14 (82%) of their 17 playoff games. Two were at DH and one at first base.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, and he looked fine to me. 

As much as I value CERA, I had mentioned many times possible trades to get Napoli from LA (before we got AGon).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Really, I thought they moved Napoli in part because of his abysmal 2010 at the plate.

I mea, for the first time in his career he gets over 500 plate appearnaces, and he was flat out horrible.  .238 BA with a .316 OBP.  Why would anyone want this guy?  Especially for the $5.8mill he had due in 2011.

I didn't want him in Boston.  He looked very exposed at the plate in 2010.  I give him credit for turning it around in 2011, but I wouldn't fault any team for passing on this guy or for trying to unload him after 2010...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

It wouldn't be a complete surprise if the Sox signed free agent C Kelly Shoppach who started his career with the Sox unless something stupid is done and Varitek is back.

The Rays just signed Jose Molina and didn't offer arbitration to Shoppach.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Iannetta is a good defensive catcher. When Chris and McCann caught for the U.S. team, it looked like Chris was going to be an All Star in the MLs, however, he backed Olivo and others and never really hit as projected. The Angels Manager has a higher catching standard than most in MLs, Napoli did a good job for the Rangers, but I don't think the Red Sox would have been happy with Napoli defensively in Boston, for that matter I don't think the Red Sox or the pitching staff were all that happy with Saltalamacchia defensively, however, Salty's bat power assuaged some of Theo's fixation with Salty.  Will be interesting to me how Valentine evaluates a combo of Saltalamacchia and Lavarnway, as perhaps Valentine will be less tolerant and may be more diligent in ST evaluating the catching tandem. Also, depending on whether Big Papi remains the DH, would not surprise me if having Salty, Lavarnway, Youk, Lowrie and AGON share hitting as a DH may allow the Red Sox to carry a third catcher, with defensive skills on the bench. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

I'd rather have everyone in the boat rowing together than to jump into the signing period without everyone in the boat.
    Now that the manager is in place the GM has someone to bounce personnel decision off.
    We as followers need to let go of decisions we THINK should have been made or need to be made. It will make our expectations mellow and we can enjoy the hotstove.

Go Sox!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'd rather have everyone in the boat rowing together than to jump into the signing period without everyone in the boat. Now that the manager is in place the GM has someone to bounce personnel decision off. We as followers need to let go of decisions we THINK should have been made or need to be made. It will make our expectations mellow and we can enjoy the hotstove. Go Sox!
    Posted by WesternOregon

Absolutely correct on what we think.  I'd like to think I understand the game, but these guys are way beyond all of us.  This is more like a guessing game on our part.

The problem with rowing together is that we still need a pitching coach, and from what I understand, that's the first thing on their agenda, following the Superbowl.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Iannetta is a good defensive catcher. When Chris and McCann caught for the U.S. team, it looked like Chris was going to be an All Star in the MLs, however, he backed Olivo and others and never really hit as projected. The Angels Manager has a higher catching standard than most in MLs, Napoli did a good job for the Rangers, but I don't think the Red Sox would have been happy with Napoli defensively in Boston, for that matter I don't think the Red Sox or the pitching staff were all that happy with Saltalamacchia defensively, however, Salty's bat power assuaged some of Theo's fixation with Salty.  Will be interesting to me how Valentine evaluates a combo of Saltalamacchia and Lavarnway, as perhaps Valentine will be less tolerant and may be more diligent in ST evaluating the catching tandem. Also, depending on whether Big Papi remains the DH, would not surprise me if having Salty, Lavarnway, Youk, Lowrie and AGON share hitting as a DH may allow the Red Sox to carry a third catcher, with defensive skills on the bench. 
    Posted by rgmfick

Good post. I agree on the "if Papi goes, we may need a 3rd catcher" idea, especially if Lava DHs more than 80 games, but I do not want to ever see Salty at DH. Lowrie is way better vs LHPs (almost everyone is), and we have too many lefties for Salty to ever be the best option vs RHPs.  

One of my biggest 2012 worries is catcher defense, but I do not think it is a high priority on management's radar. As much as I'd love to deal Salty while his stock is high again, I don't see it happening. We have higher priorities...about 5 of them.

I think we see Salty go 127 and Lava 35 games behind the plate. Lava will DH for about 100-110 games and Youk, Lowrie and AGon will split the rest (unevenly with Youk getting maybe 40-45 games at DH).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Re: Chris Iannetta traded to Angels : Good post. I agree on the "if Papi goes, we may need a 3rd catcher" idea, especially if Lava DHs more than 80 games, but I do not want to ever see Salty at DH. Lowrie is way better vs LHPs (almost everyone is), and we have too many lefties for Salty to ever be the best option vs RHPs.   One of my biggest 2012 worries is catcher defense, but I do not think it is a high priority on management's radar. As much as I'd love to deal Salty while his stock is high again, I don't see it happening. We have higher priorities...about 5 of them. I think we see Salty go 127 and Lava 35 games behind the plate. Lava will DH for about 100-110 games and Youk, Lowrie and AGon will split the rest (unevenly with Youk getting maybe 40-45 games at DH). Posted by moonslav59

By the way, did anyone notice that Colorado snagged Ramon Hernandez to replace the departed Chris Iannetta?

You mention Kevin Youkilis as a DH option IF David Ortiz departs.
    Call me overly-analytical; but Kevin Youkilis and Bobby Valentine will struggle to inhabitate the same dugout/clubhouse in 2012. Youkilis is injury prone and has a big yapper. Trade him while we can still get someone in return. He hails from Cincinnati, but his future is in the AL as a DH. Cleveland? He'd help solve a first base issue there. They need a hitter and Travis Hafner is not their long term DH answer. Matt La Porta is still young. They have depth in the bullpen. Closer Chris Perez was fourth in the American League with 36 saves, he held opposing batters to a .215 batting average. Right-hander Joe Smith (71 games) had a 2.01 ERA and a .217 opponents' batting average. Please...move Youk.

Sections
Shortcuts