Chump Cherington Off to Great Rebuilding Strategy - Even the Jays Outmaneuver Him

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: Chump Cherington Off to Great Rebuilding Strategy - Even the Jays Outmaneuver Him

Typical for this time of the winter...no other team is allowed to make moves except the Red Sox, and if any other team signs a free agent or makes a trade it's taken as a failure on the part of our GM.

I do wish we had Buehrle and wish we'd signed him when he was a FA. Johnson is talented but hurt every other year, and who knows how he'll handle the AL East. Reyes is way overpaid. Not sure I'd be happy with Cherington if he'd given up top prospects in this deal. So calm down, the world hasn't ended just yet. I hear there's still some time left to squeeze in some moves before spring training.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Chump Cherington Off to Great Rebuilding Strategy - Even the Jays Outmaneuver Him

Nick CafardoNick Cafardo@nickcafardo

Source: Red Sox made a push for both Jose Reyes and Josh Johnson, but Jays just blew Marlins away.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

If the Marlins are dumping every player, then Boston should explore a deal that will send Giancarlo Stanton to the Red Sox.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the Marlins are dumping every player, then Boston should explore a deal that will send Giancarlo Stanton to the Red Sox.  

[/QUOTE]

I don't expect this to happen, but I'd be interested to find out if the Marlins would even entertain the idea and what the asking price might be. Stanton is probably one of the few players I'd trade Xander for right now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cherington can screw up this winter as he did last winter and most likely will do next winter and his acoyltes will still sing his praises.  The fact is he is totally inept and not big enough for the job he has.  He is beyond pathetic.  That he couldn't have gone to the Marlins and made a bid for maybe Johnson or Reyes speaks volumes just how pathetic this guy is.  In an accompaning articles on Boston.Com there is a list of 14 players the Red Sox say they are interested in.  I say he won't get even one of them.  That's how worthless Cherington is.

[/QUOTE]

fred, for years you have posted critically of Sox FO, so I honestly think that nothing will ever please you. In addition, you want all Sox player moves completed immediately and the Sox involved in all player acquisitions...so regarding Cherington as GM:

1. 2012 was all about the ballpark and it's 100th anniversary...the product on the field took a back seat...this was a mandate that came down from ownership...and was out of Cherington's control...that explains the lack of player acquisitions and the hiring of a lame duck manager the day he started...we all knew Bobby V was an interim manager the day he signed.
    2. He was having discussions with the Marlins for a couple of their players but the Blue Jays were able to offer young MAJOR LEAGUE players AND prospects, something the Sox do not have right now. Just because the Sox offer players in a trade and their are discussions, the other team makes a deal thats best for them. PERIOD.
    3. The hot stove season is young...I'm feeling deja vu saying this to you...I believe we've gone through this almost every offseason...if not here, on Sawxheads back in the day.

To all the Chicken Little's out there...please take a chill pill and a deep breath and let the offseason play itself out...but be advised that the Red Sox will NOT be acquiring every free agent and player acquired this offseason.

If February comes and the FO missed the boat on improving the team, then go ahead and rip at the Sox GM and ownership.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

This was a trade the Red Sox would have been fools to make but a trade that made sense for the Jays .

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This was a trade the Red Sox would have been fools to make but a trade that made sense for the Jays .

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It is only November!!! 

You really want to take three guys other than Buck who are all making over 15 to 20 mm dollars a year for the next five years??

Get a life. 

[/QUOTE]

Right. Why spend that kind of money when we can get top notch dumpster material for next to nothing!

I would much rather spend less money than win a championship. Wouldn't you?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kmr2318's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cherington is awful......

Going to the Blue Jays: Reyes, Buehrle, Johnson and catcher John Buck. Coming back to the Marlins: shortstop Yunel Escobar, starter Henderson Alvarez and more players to be confirmed.

At least the Red Sox are exploring Jason Bay as an option.   PAAALEASE.

Sox should have cleaned house with this lightweight.  Does anyone know what his plan is??!!!

[/QUOTE]

Congrats!!! You are now the #1 dumbest post of this offseason...Lets hope you can stay atop.

I belive the Sox did a big trade in August, sorry, but I guess your late for the party.

[/QUOTE]

The Sox dumped payroll in August, nothing more.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

The Sox dumped payroll in August, nothing more.

No rule prohibits a last-place 69-93 team* from executing a salary dump.

* or a team headed for that finish

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

People act like every other team in the league is not out to get better too....like we are somehow supposed to make the deal every time.  

You don't think the Bluejays, the Yankees, the White Sox, the Indians, the Phillies, The Marlins, The Pirates, the Cardinals, the Giants, the EVERY OTHER TEAM is looking to make trades signings that will make their team either better today or tomorrow???????????

If you get upset EVERY time another team makes a move what did you expect???? us to outbid every other team every time.

so you want to pay every player $25 million a year and trade away all your prospects.

By now we would have traded our whole farm for Felix Hernandez, Josh Johnson, Hanley Ramirez...the list goes on...at what point do you think we would run out of prospects.

Relax! take a Xanax....we haven't even played ONE game in 2013. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Reality is the market is weak this year which means we will have to overpay to sign anyone, which may or may not make the trade market more intense....if it does make the trade market more intense then the price for players on the trading block gets jacked up as well.

Keep in mind the bluejays traded away a crop of top prospects and from many measures they are considered to have the BEST farm system in the leauge. 

I for one (and I'm sure I'm not alone) am sick and tired or trading away our youth, if we have to wait it out one year then so be it....but stay clam....and stay the course. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

In response to bigdog1's comment:

It's early let's not overreact.  If Ben would traded the propects for this lot of over paid player's most of the poster's on this site would complaining how bad of job Ben did.  Now you want to complain that he did not make this deal.  We need to be patient and wait.  We need to get younger not medcore.   (mediocre)

Well said.   Couldn't agree more.  I'm neither a Ben cheerleader nor a detractor -  he hasn't proven himself one way or the other yet - but don't think Jays outmaneuvered him with this deal.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Reality is the market is weak this year which means we will have to overpay to sign anyone, which may or may not make the trade market more intense....if it does make the trade market more intense then the price for players on the trading block gets jacked up as well.

Keep in mind the bluejays traded away a crop of top prospects and from many measures they are considered to have the BEST farm system in the leauge. 

I for one (and I'm sure I'm not alone) am sick and tired or trading away our youth, if we have to wait it out one year then so be it....but stay clam....and stay the course. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree.

The Sox have payroll flexability, but the market is weak this year.

I'd rather the sox make smart, small scale signing, rather than overpay for questionable free agents.

For all the Chicken Littles out there, if the Sox are being left in the dust by other teams this off season, why are Greinke and Hamilton still on the market?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Man, I would love to sit down at a poker table with some of these posters.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

BUMP

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

It's not a chicken little thing.

Look at the targets thus far. Hunter (gone) Kuroda, Laroche, and Napoli. All in their mid to late 30's, in addition to Papi's signing.

Is Ben afraid to make trades? Does he think every prospect is a future all star?

Are there no OF SS or 1B anywhere available in trades? Is he only comfortable in the free agent market, because he won't have to give up anyone?

The LA deal was Luccino's baby. Nothing in Cherington's track record gives fans confidencethat any real rebuilding will take place for next season, as promised by ownership.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks. Show RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks's posts

You know who I would love... and I mean LOVE to have. Casey Kelly and Anthony Rizzo. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I am not concerned so much with the Blue Jays did, per se.  The Marlins just moved north of the border.  Hopefully they are no more successful there than they were in Miami. 

But I am concerned that the Sox "plan" is going to be thwarted as every one of their FA targets gets signed away by more extravagant (or committeed to winning, depending on your outlook and allegiances) teams.  We saw it last off-season.  Kuroda signed by Yankees.  Buerhle signed by Marlins.  Sox end up signing Cook.  Part of FA shopping is being aggressive and setting the market.  The Tigers have just set the market for OFers, and they set it high. I expect the Sox to wait for the prices to come down, which meaqns they will up with the Aaron Cook of outfielders (and don't forget, they really need two OFers). 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks' comment:
    [QUOTE]

You know who I would love... and I mean LOVE to have. Casey Kelly and Anthony Rizzo. 

[/QUOTE]

Get over it RGDN! They're not even on the same team anymore.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

ben doesnt havee to make a million moves - just get a quality starter...why he is dicking around with another catcher is beyond me....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to rightymclefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's not a chicken little thing.

Look at the targets thus far. Hunter (gone) Kuroda, Laroche, and Napoli. All in their mid to late 30's, in addition to Papi's signing.

Is Ben afraid to make trades? Does he think every prospect is a future all star?

Are there no OF SS or 1B anywhere available in trades? Is he only comfortable in the free agent market, because he won't have to give up anyone?

The LA deal was Luccino's baby. Nothing in Cherington's track record gives fans confidencethat any real rebuilding will take place for next season, as promised by ownership.

[/QUOTE]

This sounds like chicken little to me...it is mid-November and some are expecting Cherington to have already worked multiple trades like it's picking penny candy from the candy store.

To answer your question righty there may be OF, SS, 1B the Sox would love to acquire, but they may not be available...then again there maybe players available that might be too expensive to acquire right now.

The hot stove process is not as simple as pick your player, acquire your player...there is a such a thing as negotiations that must take place for both trades and free agents...and this takes time!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to kmr2318's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cherington is awful......

Going to the Blue Jays: Reyes, Buehrle, Johnson and catcher John Buck. Coming back to the Marlins: shortstop Yunel Escobar, starter Henderson Alvarez and more players to be confirmed.

At least the Red Sox are exploring Jason Bay as an option.   PAAALEASE.

Sox should have cleaned house with this lightweight.  Does anyone know what his plan is??!!!

[/QUOTE]

Might be hard for you but grow up !!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ben will have always have his defenders, no matter what.  Meanwhile , the loyal Sox fans will have a second rate ballclub to root for. Even another last place finish will not change some minds. They will say it is a " bridge year ."  A bridge to what ?  Irrelevance ? 

[/QUOTE]

WRONG!!!!!!!!  Try 2000.  So what the hell does that mean?  It doesn't matter when you became a fan so long as you live and die with your team---and for the past two seasons I've done a lot of dieing.  Two rotten seasons in a row, five years in which we won absolutely nothing....NOTHING!!!!!!  An owner who lost interest in the team when he married his pastry tart in 2008 and has now pocketed his money.  A CEO who things player personnel is his forte when he is anything but incompetent in that area and should stick to promotions and marketing, his true forte.  We have a GM who seems nothing more than Lucchino's little helper or satrap.

I've been hearing about Napoli for weeks now.  With players starting to fall off the tree his value will go up and up because there will be less to choose from in the FA market.  And we've done absolutely nothing to improve our pitching.....not a damn thing.  Yet I keep hearing all this BS about how Cherington is just waiting to strike a big blow.  What pure unadulerated tripe.  He is going to do what he did last winter....get a bunch of second raters from the dumpster while many of you will still be praising him when we lose 90 odd games again next year.

Cherington can screw up this winter as he did last winter and most likely will do next winter and his acoyltes will still sing his praises.  The fact is he is totally inept and not big enough for the job he has.  He is beyond pathetic.  That he couldn't have gone to the Marlins and made a bid for maybe Johnson or Reyes speaks volumes just how pathetic this guy is.  In an accompaning articles on Boston.Com there is a list of 14 players the Red Sox say they are interested in.  I say he won't get even one of them.  That's how worthless Cherington is.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, it speaks volumes fred. That hes not willing to part with solid prospects and give up on the future for an oft injured pitcher for 1 year and the bloated contract of the selfish Jose Reyes for 5/95. The same skillset of Crawford, with an injury history making north of 20M. Im glad your not our GM with your constant negative and unrealistic attitude. Ive been respectful, but your just like some on here that are just trying to get under others skin.

My guess is you became a Sox fan during 2004. Am I right?

[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts