Ciriaco---besides his hitting,

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Re: Ciriaco---besides his hitting,

In Response to Re: Ciriaco---besides his hitting,:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ciriaco---besides his hitting, : Are you suggesting that Ciriaco is using performance enhancers? If you are going to make such an allegation, you need to offer some evidence to back it up.
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]
     I most certainly did NOT  make any such suggestion. Where the HECK did you get that idea ?
    Because I mentioned Cano ?
    FYI there's a blurb on some radio station site about Ciriaco working out with Cano during off-season in San Pedro De Macoris, D.R. .....where both live.
    If you look it up you'll find San Pedro D.M. is a veritable incubator of M.L. shortstops such as Mariano Duncan ( Reds, Braves,Yankees), Tony Fernandez ( Blue Jays, Padres), Rafael Ramirez ( Braves, Astros) etc.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Why not get the maximum return in a trade by trading Pedroia, in a package for a starter?
    Put Ciriaco at 2nd. If he fails, 2nd basemen are easier to find than SSs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ciriaco---besides his hitting, :  I most certainly did NOT  make any such suggestion. Where the HECK did you get that idea ? Because I mentioned Cano ? FYI there's a blurb on some radio station site about Ciriaco working out with Cano during off-season in San Pedro De Macoris, D.R. .....where both live. If you look it up you'll find San Pedro D.M. is a veritable incubator of M.L. shortstops such as Mariano Duncan ( Reds, Braves,Yankees), Tony Fernandez ( Blue Jays, Padres), Rafael Ramirez ( Braves, Astros) etc.
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]

I apologize for my post. I momentarily confused Cano with Melky Cabrera. My mistake and again my apologies.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Pedro may be a late bloomer, a lot of people "get it" in their late twenties, unfortunately many of them got labeled early and no matter what they do later they can't change early perceptions and expectations.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Pedro may be a late bloomer, a lot of people "get it" in their late twenties, unfortunately many of them got labeled early and no matter what they do later they can't change early perceptions and expectations.

So true, and after 366 career PAs in MLB, he has a .340 BA.
    He had a .272 BA in over 3,500 minor league PAs.

With his fielding, I'd take .272 in the bigs too!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

[QUOTE]Pedro may be a late bloomer, a lot of people "get it" in their late twenties, unfortunately many of them got labeled early and no matter what they do later they can't change early perceptions and expectations. So true, and after 366 career PAs in MLB, he has a .340 BA. He had a .272 BA in over 3,500 minor league PAs. With his fielding, I'd take .272 in the bigs too!
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Amen!  Gotta love his attitude also...maybe it will catch on with the Sox regulars.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ciriaco---besides his hitting, : If we put all debates into mothballs, there isn't much point in having a message board.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]
    Smile

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ciriaco---besides his hitting, : Ciriaco (26) certainly hasn't hurt his chances so far, but he's also four years older than Iglesias (22), like Iglesias has little plate disipline. 2 walks in over 100 plate appreances with 20 strikeouts this year in Boston. Which projects to 12 walks and 120 strikeouts, in 600 plate appearance . So while I too am pleased with Ciriaco's showing this year and think he should have a spot on the 2013 roster. Not sure he will be or should be handed the starters job. Given his minor league stats my guess is that once big league pitchers get a book on him. They'll stop challenging him early in the count with fastballs and make him hit the soft stuff. As for Ciriaco being better in every category than Iglesias. One could quibble over just how much better he has been given his age and that he's had about 2500 more plate appearances in his minor league career... Ciriaco has spent a total of 8 years in the Pirates/Red Sox system with career batting totals of .272 with a .299 OBP, slg .357 with a pedestrian .656 OPS. While walking 159 times and striking out 559 times in over 3500 plate appearances. Iglesias in a little over 1000 career plate appearances has hit .262 with .312 obp, slg .313 for a even more pedestrain .625 OPS...walking 64 times while striking out 162 times. The good news for Jose given his age, he still has time to improve on his numbers. Lets not forget that Jose at this point in thier repsective careers, has played against tougher competition. Playing in AAA @ age 21 and 22. Ciriaco at the same age was still in A+ ball. Which is two level highers and worth noting... While I agree that both of them are plus defenders and good base runners. Neither of them have hit well enough in the minors to earn everyday jobs at the big league level. At this point both project to be utility guys/late inning defensive replacement/pinch runner types. Lastly, Ciriaco who turns 27 in September is now entering his prime years. So it's not like the kid hasn't had more than enough opportunity to earn a shot at making a big league club. He's a very toolsy player with plus athleticism. The bottom line is he's never hit well enough to win a spot...That is until now...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Bean,

I think we keep both Ciriaco and Iggy.  Like I tell a lot of people you can throw out minor league numbers in some cases because I have seen prospecs before who hit better at the big league level where it counts most.  You can also throw out the early pressure/hype people put on these kids because they are rarely correct.  I wouldn't doubt they both get a lot playing time next season with Aviles out.  

Its all about money at this point so don't even rule out a Pede trade in the next two years if some of these kids make it.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]                        BOSOX1941, ..........Are you planning on seeing the Ciriaco with the Big Club in 2013? I think he'll be gone for a pitching prospect or two faster than Paul Ryan's W-2's showed up after he teamed up with Mitt.
    Posted by eggplants[/QUOTE]

To my way of thinking, if the choice is between Ciriaco and Iggy, then We should see Ciriaco on the BIG CLUB in 2013. I'm hoping it's Iggy that's gone for whatever they can get for him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Let's solidify our bench and have quality players ready to ride the Route 1 shuttle first before making trades.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

I don't think this age difference (between Iggy and Pedro) makes much sense. Ozzie Smith hit .222 in his 4th year in the majors. He hit .303 in his TENTH year in the league and played a total of 19 years; although the last three were part time.

My point: With his body structure, he's got at least 10 good years ahead of him. I don't think we'll ever see him in the obesity category!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]I read that Ciriaco has the second highest batting average in history against the Yankees (.517).  (Minimum 25 plate plate appearances.)  Behind only Barry Bonds (.533).
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

That alone should cement his place in Sox lore!
    Like many of you, I have loved watching this guy play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmileybeniTheFool. Show SmileybeniTheFool's posts

In Response to; Ciriaco---besides his hitting,:
    [QUOTE]Have you noticed---- 1) Looks like there's about 6 gms of fat on his whole body 2) He takes exactly enough lead off 1st base, thus driving the pitchers nuts 3) No matter what position he's playing, as soon as a ball is hit, he's headed in the right direction; whether it's ball hit to second, deep CF, he knows where to go. 4) He's not afraid to swing at the first pitch for fear he might make a quick out. 5) He knows how to bunt If I can sit here in my living room in Ft Myers and see these things, I'm wondering why (esp. after his spring training) so much time was went by before the "brass" woke up?
    Posted by bosoxmal[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts