In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Ciriaco is an excelent utility player who will get in a lot of games for the Sox.  That is his role.

Iggy is the SS that is being delayed by the Drew signing.

[/QUOTE]

I guess.  I wonder how many years Ozzie Smith would have been delayed by his bat? 

Drew isn't delaying Iggy. Iggy's bat is delaying Iggy.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

if iggy had ozzie smiths bat then he would be playing now wouldn't he?

[/QUOTE]

Ozzie wasnt much of a hitter in the beginning either. In his first 4 years , 2 of them he had an obp below .300 (.260 and .294) the other 2 were just over .300 (.311 and .313) in 1 of those 4 years his OPS was above .600. yes, 600! He hit .300 once in his career. Ozzie really didnt start hitting consitently until he was 27.

Give Iggy another year or more if need be. That glove is very very special. People now adays are so damn impatient. 22 is still very young.

[/QUOTE]

i doubt ozzie smith hit 118 in his first extended stint in the majors. ozzie wasn't the best hitter out there but he was better than iggy is now. the kid just needs more time, plain and simple. The Drew signing gives him exactly that. 1 more year to further refine his offensive game, if drew gets hurt iggy can fill in. If we are out of contention by the trade deadline we can trade drew and bring iggy up for the rest of the year. So basically Iggy can take all the time he needs to get MLB ready... up to a year of course lol.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: CIRIACO < DREW?

[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Ciriaco is an excelent utility player who will get in a lot of games for the Sox.  That is his role.

Iggy is the SS that is being delayed by the Drew signing.

[/QUOTE]

I guess.  I wonder how many years Ozzie Smith would have been delayed by his bat? 

Drew isn't delaying Iggy. Iggy's bat is delaying Iggy.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ozzie wasnt much of a hitter in the beginning either. In his first 4 years , 2 of them he had an obp below .300 (.260 and .294) the other 2 were just over .300 (.311 and .313) in 1 of those 4 years his OPS was above .600. yes, 600! He hit .300 once in his career. Ozzie really didnt start hitting consitently until he was 27.

Give Iggy another year or more if need be. That glove is very very special. People now adays are so damn impatient. 22 is still very young.

[/QUOTE]

i doubt ozzie smith hit 118 in his first extended stink in the majors. ozzie wasn't the best hitter out there but he was better than iggy is now. the kid just needs more time, plain and simple. The Drew signing gives him exactly that. 1 more year to further refine his offensive game, if drew gets hurt iggy can fill in. If we are out of contention by the trade deadline we can trade drew and bring iggy up for the rest of the year. So basically Iggy can take all the time he needs to get MLB ready... up to a year of course lol.

[/QUOTE]

His numbers were still bad. But the point being that you dont give up on a 22 yr old with that kind of defense so quickly. Another year will make him work harder and have a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I looked up Ozzie's early years.  he couldn't hit at all. 

I think if the Sox had Ozzie they would have traded him for Tim Foli

[/QUOTE]

Try again.

Ozzie was drafted out of college so he was more mature than Iggy when he started playing pro ball.

Ozzie batted .330 in his only year in the minors, which earned him a shot the next year.

Ozzie batted .258 as a rookie, so he took advantage of his shot. Iggy has had opportunities but so far as yet to take advantage -- .135 BA, .210 OBP. If Iggy showed anything last year, he might have been given the shot this year.

Ozzie was 23 as a rooke. Iggy will be 23, so if he doesn't get his chance until 2014, he'll be just a year behind Ozzie.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

I think the Drew deal was a very wise one. Drew and Pedroia give us quality up the middle esspecially with question marks at 3rd and 1st base. WMB is he the same guy durring the 1st half or the WMB of Aug and Sept.  Drew was a one year deal gives Iggy one more year to develop and Ciriarco as or utility guy. I like Ciriaco but as a qulity back up at his age he is what he is. If Drew has a big year and Iggy does not impress you move on with Drew or another free agent next year.