CJ Wilson Wants to Play For The Sox, Should they sign him?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

CJ Wilson Wants to Play For The Sox, Should they sign him?

I was reading an article today that stated that cj wilson loves fenway and would love to play for the sox. Cherington met with his agent and expressed interest in cj but decided not to further talks until after the sox hire a new manager. Should the sox sign cj wilson? Im not so sure on this one. He had a really good year last year posting an era of 2.94 and striking out over 200 batters. What makes him interesting is that he has very low mileage on his arm because he started his career as a reliever. Since converting to a starter he has pitched very well the past two years. now there is no way i would give him anywhere near 20 mill per for 6 years which is apparently what he is looking for. I would give him 5 years at 15-16 mill per. The things is, i am not so sure i would even offer him a contract. I would rather take a shot on yu darvish than sign cj who is 31 years old. what do you guys think? should the sox sign him?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

Re: CJ Wilson Wants to Play For The Sox, Should they sign him?

I'd like him, but it seems that he hasn't proven himself completely yet.  Locking in for 5 or 6 years, at 14-16 mil, is a lot for a guy with only very recent success.  He could be absolutely amazing!  But what if it doesn't last?  Few pitchers earn the money over the life of the contract, and teams must pay the price for quality.

Lackey came with some recent success, got a killer contract, and tank city.  Same with Zito.  One never knows!

I've also heard the clubhouse was not Wilson's best place to be.  Folks have mentioned that he is a little self-centered.  

I'd prefer Buerhle, myself.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

If I were Sox brass I wouldn't hesitate on Wilson for a second, they need an arm like his in the rotation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

In Response to Re: CJ Wilson Wants to Play For The Sox, Should they sign him?:
    I'd like him, but it seems that he hasn't proven himself completely yet.  Locking in for 5 or 6 years, at 14-16 mil, is a lot for a guy with only very recent success.  He could be absolutely amazing!  But what if it doesn't last?  Few pitchers earn the money over the life of the contract, and teams must pay the price for quality. Lackey came with some recent success, got a killer contract, and tank city. 
    Posted by rickerd2

Lackey wasn't that impressive & never pitched well @ fenway, he was simply a bad signing.  No comparison there IMO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i don't think they put alot of money on one guy...i see us signning 2 or 3 starting pithers at 3-5 mil each...rich harden types...not real big name guy's.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I'd like him, but it seems that he hasn't proven himself completely yet.  Locking in for 5 or 6 years, at 14-16 mil, is a lot for a guy with only very recent success.  He could be absolutely amazing!  But what if it doesn't last?  Few pitchers earn the money over the life of the contract, and teams must pay the price for quality. Lackey came with some recent success, got a killer contract, and tank city.  Same with Zito.  One never knows! I've also heard the clubhouse was not Wilson's best place to be.  Folks have mentioned that he is a little self-centered.   I'd prefer Buerhle, myself.
    Posted by rickerd2

What kind of contract would Clay Buchholz command if the Red Sox righthander were a free agent this offseason?

Buchholz, who is nearly four years younger than Wilson, has pitched 894 innings as a professional (evenly split between the minors and majors) while Wilson has pitched 1,111.1 innings as a professional.

Wilson has been valued at 4.6 and 5.9 WAR* the past two seasons while Buchholz's 2010 WAR of 3.8 represented his only single-season WAR above 1.3.

Long-term contracts generally are bad ideas, but Wilson's performance the past two season ranks the lefthander just ahead of fellow southpaw Jon Lester in the WAR standings.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

We are not going to spend that kind of cash on Wilson. I just don't see it happening. It would make more sense than Crawford's contract though, by far, so anything is possible in this topsy turvy world.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

No,No,No. Unless he will take three years 30 million, which he won't.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Would not CJ rather play in Texas, the team that actually made the play-offs and then came within a pitch of winning it all?  Players make me laugh.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Would not CJ rather play in Texas, the team that actually made the play-offs and then came within a pitch of winning it all?  Players make me laugh.
    Posted by BurritoT

And because of that, Texas is very unlikely to repeat. No way they come back to the WS again after losing twice, especially the way they lost it this time. Moving on might actually be a smart thing to do.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: CJ Wilson Wants to Play For The Sox, Should they sign him? : Lackey wasn't that impressive & never pitched well @ fenway, he was simply a bad signing.  No comparison there IMO.
    Posted by joyceand

Lackey at Fenway:
    2009:  2.35 ERA (.712 OPS against)
    2008:  2.00 ERA (.329 OPS)

Never say never.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Examiner you might be right but for both parties. The Rangers may be better off bringing in a top flight starter to replace CJ, and that may very well help them to three-peat. They should get another closer and throw their present closer into the 7/8 inning mix. He is to not be counted on any longer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

No thanks, I look at his walk total and that scares me a bit. If he's anything like Dice-K I would hesitate to offer him anything more than a couple years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I would definitely look into it. If he really wants to play for the Sox, maybe a deal could be made. If he pitches well against the Yankees...even better.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

If he loves it so much they should offer him 3/42, with a team 4th year option and a buy out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

would this be the splash that Cherington said the sox wouldnt make?  IMO another lefty in our rotation wouldn't hurt.  get the right deal (i never talk numbers because they don't really matter) and I think this could be a positive. experience in big games...etc....can never hurt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"Examiner you might be right but for both parties. The Rangers may be better off bringing in a top flight starter to replace CJ, and that may very well help them to three-peat. They should get another closer and throw their present closer into the 7/8 inning mix. He is to not be counted on any longer."

They already did get another closer.  They signed Joe Nathan for 2 yrs $14.5 mil.   And their former closer, Feliz, will be a starter, not a 7/8th inning guy.  He is a top pitching prospect and was always seen as potential top of the rotation starter.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

I want to play for the Sox too

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Please this is just a ploy so that the Yankees can get into a supposed "bidding war" for this guy. Not buying it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Texas does things right. They do a lot of smart moves.  Nathan cost nothing with Draft Picks, and Wilson costs 2 picks, and Money. His asking Price is way too high at this point.
    Posted by bobbysu

I have seen this misconception a lot.  Wilson will only cost 1 pick, the second pick is a supplemental pick.  It does not come from the team signing him.  Just like signing a Type B free agent.  The team losing the player gets a pick, but not from the team who signed him.  Of course, that goes away with the new CBA.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

In Response to Re: CJ Wilson Wants to Play For The Sox, Should they sign him? : Lackey at Fenway: 2009:  2.35 ERA (.712 OPS against) 2008:  2.00 ERA (.329 OPS) Never say never.
    Posted by moonslav59

Here's a 209 quote I found:
    Reports suggest that John Lackey is about to sign a contract with the Boston Red Sox. Much has been made in recent years of Lackey pitching in Fenway Park, where he has by far the worst numbers of his career.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's a 209 quote I found:
    Reports suggest that John Lackey is about to sign a contract with the Boston Red Sox. Much has been made in recent years of Lackey pitching in Fenway Park, where he has by far the worst numbers of his career

I know he had trouble in Fenway before coming here, but I was responding to the post that said he has "never pitched well in Fenway". Well, for 2 straight years before the signing, he did very well in Fenway, hence my words "never say never".

By the way, even factoring in Lackey's 2011 fenway numbers into his career park numbers, there are several parks he does worse in:

Fenway: 5.45 including his 6.65 ERA of 2011 (I think his ERA at Fenway was about 5.00 before being signed. That would put other teams below that number.)

Texas  6.68
    Colorado 6.75
    NYY  6.00
    Pitt   7.50
    TB    6.56

The "by far the worst numbers of his career" is just plain false.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

Looking at this past season the Red Sox don’t have a true # 1 starter. Beckett doesn’t go deep into games and Lester blows hot and cold. If in fact the Sox want to be more than a third place team they need to have 5 good arms in the rotation to make up for the lack of a true 200 + innings dominate starter. Wilson would be a good step in that direction.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: CJ Wilson Wants to Play For The Sox, Should they sign him? : I have seen this misconception a lot.  Wilson will only cost 1 pick, the second pick is a supplemental pick.  It does not come from the team signing him.  Just like signing a Type B free agent.  The team losing the player gets a pick, but not from the team who signed him.  Of course, that goes away with the new CBA.
    Posted by fizsh

Only the Texas Rangers would "lose" two draft picks by signing C.J. Wilson (the two draft picks -- one from the signing team and one sandwich -- that the Rangers would otherwise receive if Wilson signs with another club).

Sections
Shortcuts