Classic Coma - top of the 8th

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Classic Coma - top of the 8th

Try the game thread.
    You'll feel right at home.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

You got one here who isn't,and what do you expect from a manager who never thinks outside of his little league box?

In Response to Classic Coma - top of the 8th:
    [QUOTE]Crawford reaches base with less than two outs.  One of the premier base stealers, and a RH on the hill.  Let's not try to steal to get into scoring position.  Let's let our .048 hitting catcher see what he can do. Let me hear from the Coma fans on why that is good game management.
    Posted by Encinitas[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In Response to Classic Coma - top of the 8th:
    [QUOTE]Crawford reaches base with less than two outs.  One of the premier base stealers, and a RH on the hill.  Let's not try to steal to get into scoring position.  Let's let our .048 hitting catcher see what he can do. Let me hear from the Coma fans on why that is good game management.
    Posted by Encinitas[/QUOTE]

How do you know that Crawford was given the red light?  I highly doubt it. My guess is that he has free reign.  Just like when he sacrifice bunted, which I think is a bad move considering how often he hits into a double play.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

In Response to Re: Classic Coma - top of the 8th:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Classic Coma - top of the 8th : How do you know that Crawford was given the red light?  I highly doubt it. My guess is that he has free reign.  Just like when he sacrifice bunted, which I think is a bad move considering how often he hits into a double play.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Evidently, it doesn't occur to some that Crawford simply didn't feel he could get a good jump on Rodney.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Yeah, um, we only had 3 steals and one sac bunt last night.

Ah well what can you expect.  Whiners whine, it's all they know how to do.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

1-Didn't Tek try to bunt him over?

2-As Niz said, you don't steal at will.  If you could simply steal any time you want, Ells and CC would have 300 or so SBs.

3-I'd bet all my money that CC had the green light.  It's nuts to think he didn't.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I think they won last night, didn't they?

Damn that Francona for managing us to another win.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Crawford had only four chances before Varitek was hit by a pitch. (The first was a failed bunt attempt). Then Ellsbury walked to load the bases.

Crawford likely had the green light (as he did the previous time he got on base). What you obviously don't get is that the green light means it's up to the runner in that situation. As in, go if you feel you have a good read. Otherwise, don't.

But get a grip, for god's sake. A road win over a quality team, a sixth straight solid outing by a starting pitcher, near-flawless work from the bullpen, a timely extra-innings hit by Gonzalez ... and people STILL aren't happy around here?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]I think they won last night, didn't they? Damn that Francona for managing us to another win.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Francona only manages when the Sox lose.When they win,it's in spite of him.
    Didn't you know that?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

Some of you people are true morons.  Tek bunted pitch 1 foul right?  So immediately Crawford is not is a great running count.  Maybe he didn't get a good read on Rodney. Assuming that he didn't have a green light from the manager is stupid.  My guess is Crawford and Ells are left to their own 95% of the time.

It is Tito's fault that the Red Sox couldn't get a hit with a man on base to save their lives?  The Red Sox won that game b/c of a boneheaded baserunning play by Aybar and then got a 2 run cushion b/c the ump let Pedrioa about 4 ft out of the basepath.  A win is a win but this team needs to start getting some hits with RISP.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]Crawford had only four chances before Varitek was hit by a pitch. (The first was a failed bunt attempt). Then Ellsbury walked to load the bases. Crawford likely had the green light (as he did the previous time he got on base). What you obviously don't get is that the green light means it's up to the runner in that situation. As in, go if you feel you have a good read. Otherwise, don't. But get a grip, for god's sake. A road win over a quality team, a sixth straight solid outing by a starting pitcher, near-flawless work from the bullpen, a timely extra-innings hit by Gonzalez ... and people STILL aren't happy around here?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Spot on!  Just like I have been saying.  There is no winning.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

BDC. The forum where you can watch a game on TV and enjoy the thrill of victory and come here and experience the agony of reading about it.

Wink

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

And stealing right now for both Crawford and Ellsbury isn't exactly a high-percentage move. Both have stolen three bases and have been caught stealing twice.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]BDC. The forum where you can watch a game on TV and enjoy the thrill of victory and come here and experience the agony of reading about it.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

LOL!! Post of the week!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Funny how enchilda doesn't come back to defend his post.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

what are joey and harness doing on this public forum? i thought they joined the pvt country club forum = you know the one where everyone is positive and above avg????

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

[QUOTE]Some of you people are true morons.  Tek bunted pitch 1 foul right?  So immediately Crawford is not is a great running count.  Maybe he didn't get a good read on Rodney. Assuming that he didn't have a green light from the manager is stupid.  My guess is Crawford and Ells are left to their own 95% of the time. It is Tito's fault that the Red Sox couldn't get a hit with a man on base to save their lives?  The Red Sox won that game b/c of a boneheaded baserunning play by Aybar and then got a 2 run cushion b/c the ump let Pedrioa about 4 ft out of the basepath.  A win is a win but this team needs to start getting some hits with RISP.
    Posted by Calmy[/QUOTE]

Good point. He's gonna go on 0-1? When Scioscia had already called a pitch-out earlier in the game? That would have been dumb.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConcernTroll. Show ConcernTroll's posts

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a3fc713da-4715-4925-b94c-c14bddc7d8f4Discussion%3a972dc321-9958-41a0-bc97-963abab15681

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSFAN2. Show RSFAN2's posts

[QUOTE]I think they won last night, didn't they? Damn that Francona for managing us to another win.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]
    You Rock Zilla...........LMAO

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]Joe Back here top defend  my point. A game manager tells his .048 hitting catcher to take a pitch and let one of the premier base stealers in baseball get into scoring position by stealing on a RH relief pitcher.  If CC can't run in that situation, when can he?  Tek bunted on the first pitch.  If Francona called for the sac bunt there, that is stupid.  Why waste an at-bat, give up the second out of the inning, and put all your hopes on .190 hitter to come through with a two out hit?  If he didn't call for the bunt, then he let his player do whatever he wanted rather than MANAGE the game.  The fact Varitek got hit by a pitch doesn't minimize his mismanagement - it just means he got lucky.  A manager can't make every play or prevent every mistake (I bet Scoscia let Aybar know he broke a cardinal rule in the bottom half), but there are moments that require game management decisions.  Francona's value is in keeping the clubhouse content.  It is not game management.  
    Posted by Encinitas[/QUOTE]Varitek was trying to bunt for a hit and was on his own I would assume. The 3B was back and if the catcher doesn't drive at that ball while it was rolling in foul ground the crown of the field was going to bring it back by the way. if that bunt stayed fair it was a hit. That certainly is how the Angels broadcast team saw the play...

Scoscia's an idiot by the way whose teams at least every other game make that just that kind of mental error, pressing the action when it isn't there. Trust me I live in So Cal and Mike is over rated but fans love him because that's how they'd play it on their PS3 IMO. But head to head who has more wins and more rings???

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Classic Coma - top of the 8th : LOL!! Post of the week!
    Posted by niz-58[/QUOTE]

Indeed.  Great job, Katz!

Happy Birthday to Terry.  Mike Wilbon's take on PTI today: "Anybody who gives Terry Francona a hard time, given what he's done, should just be thrown out of Massachusetts. GET OUT."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]what are joey and harness doing on this public forum? i thought they joined the pvt country club forum = you know the one where everyone is positive and above avg????
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

What the heck are you talking about?  I live for debate.  There is no reason to go into a private forum where is everyone is knowledgeable.  Debates last 2 minutes.  They'll all have the same opinion.  Yes he has the green light.  No, that doesn't mean he can steal at will.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

A game manager tells his .048 hitting catcher to take a pitch and let one of the premier base stealers in baseball get into scoring position by stealing on a RH relief pitcher.  If CC can't run in that situation, when can he?  

Again, you are assuming that these guys steal at will.  A guy like CC is probably in a steal situation 150-175 times a year.  If he could steal at will, he'd have 150-175 SBs.  These guys steal because they time the pitcher.  They wait for lapses.

Do you truly beleive he doesn't have the green light?

Sections
Shortcuts