Clay Buchholz cleared to begin throwing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Clay Buchholz cleared to begin throwing

According to WEEI.com:

According to a Tweet from NESN's Heidi Watney, Red Sox pitcher Clay Buchholz has been approved to begin a throwing program beginning Tuesday. Wrote Watney: Clay Buchholz told me he was cleared to throw tomorrow for the first time. Seemed very excited about it. 

Buchholz told WEEI.com last week that he was optimistic that after undergoing an evaluation from the Red Sox medical staff upon returning home from the team's eight-game road trip that he would be able to begin some "light throwing." 

"I've been throwing balls in and out to the screen (during batting practice) and I haven't felt any different the next day, so that's a good sign," he said. "It's definitely helping, definitely working. But I'm sort of getting to that point here if I don't start throwing pretty soon then I won't have enough time to throw. That's what I'm telling them, if it doesn't feel right it wasn't meant to be. But just from the way I feel running around there's a pretty good shot if we can get a lot of work rapidly, start throwing, get off a mound without any trouble … I'll be willing to do whatever they want me to do."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: Clay Buchholz cleared to begin throwing

We are doing just fine without him. He can take the rest of the season off, as far as I'm concerned.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Clay Buchholz cleared to begin throwing:
    [QUOTE]We are doing just fine without him. He can take the rest of the season off, as far as I'm concerned.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on the level that, at this juncture, his potential value-added is questionable, and he shouldn;t take a playoff roster spot from someone more needed.  But, under the basic tenet of You Can Never Have Too Much Pitching:  ASSUMING that Clay can get back into game shape (no guarantee), he makes for a very interesting bullpen arm possibility for the playoffs.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

If he has to take the rest of the season off,then that's what he should do.If he's able though,he could come out of the bullpen and be a "Light's out' reliever for the post season IMO.Throwing less pitches relieving wouldn't be as taxing on his sore back and he'll have all winter to rest it afterwards. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

anybody know what the Sox will do when he gets to the rehab stage?, the reason i ask is because other than Pawtucket who i know is playoff-bound most of the minor league seasons are pretty much coming to an end i think...will he get to that point in time to pitch for someone??....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

If they can get Buch to the point of at least being able to contribute in some type of bullpen role then they should encourage him to rehab.  If there's no risk of structural damage to his back then they could do a lot worse than having Buch in the bullpen.

Not sure how the AAA playoffs coincide with Buch's rehab though, and he'll definitely need a rehab assignment.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Buchholz could rehab at the major league level. It's not ideal, but the Red Sox are going to be playoff-bound and they could start him in a few simulated games, and then insert him into a blowout or two for his first couple games back. He might be ready by around September 20th. It probably can't hurt to let him pitch a game or two out of the bullpen and evaluate whether he would be useful for the playoffs in that capacity. If not, leave him off the roster. We won't know unless he's given an opportunity. Guys who have been rehabbing for awhile (Buccholz, Tazawa) deserve a chance to prove themselves before the end of the season. It's a reward of sorts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Buchholz throwing

Posted by Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff August 30, 2011 01:51 PM

Clay Buchholz just threw in the outfield for about 10 minutes to trainer Mike Reinold. Looks like the throwing program has begun.

The Red Sox still hope Buchholz can rejoin them before the end of the season and work out of the bullpen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

[QUOTE]We are doing just fine without him. He can take the rest of the season off, as far as I'm concerned.

i hate every post you make.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Simulated games for rehab.

Buch can, if normal progress and no problems, provide quality innings up to partial pitch counts by end of season. Make sure Wastefield is not on the post season roster. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I like the idea of Buchholz as a "backup starter" along with Aceves in the playoffs. It allows Francona to put Lackey and Bedard on very short leashes.

In the division series, a team only needs 10 pitchers:

Starters (4): Beckett, Lester, Lackey, Bedard.
    Relievers (6): Papelbon, Bard, Aceves, Buchholz, Wheeler, Morales.

In the ALCS and World Series, should the Red Sox hopefully advance that far, add Albers to the bullpen as the 11th pitcher. He probably replaces Lavarnway, who would be my choice as an extra hitter in the division series.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I disagree, the fact we are doing well in the regular season still doesn't convince me we don't need Clay as our third starter against good playoff teams.  If Clay is healthy my bet is the one or two less runs a game he could give us would be huge.

Sections
Shortcuts