Clay Buchholz Delays Mound Session, Frustrated by Continued Soreness in Back -What should Theo do?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Clay Buchholz Delays Mound Session, Frustrated by Continued Soreness in Back -What should Theo do?

by Tony Lee/NESN

BOSTON -- Clay Buchholz is still feeling soreness in his lower back after throwing, but says there has been improvement.

Buchholz was originally scheduled to throw off a mound Friday for the first time since going on the disabled list. Instead, after consulting with the staff, he elected to go with another round of long toss. After the session, the pain that is becoming all too familiar popped up again.

"It's the down time after I throw that the soreness comes," he said. "I still got a little bit of stuff there."

Buchholz said that the slight improvement each day should allow him to try a side session soon. Manager Terry Francona indicated that would come either Sunday or Monday.

Still, the young righty remains frustrated by the holding pattern.

"It's already taken way too long for this in my mind, but I’m already on the DL,"  he added. "It can't really get any worse than it was at the beginning. It hasn’t got any worse, it's just slowly getting better. Definitely not on my timetable.

"I want to be out there pitching ... It’s getting to that point where it’s frustrating."

Buchholz stressed that he feels he could pitch from a mound right now. However, because the soreness arrives after each throwing session, he does not want to push the issue, have a start and then be back to square one.

"I don't want to go out there, pitch one outing, and have to be put back on the DL if it flares up again," he said.

The fact that the Red Sox are playing so well has made the wait a bit better.

"The run we’re going on, everybody's pitching well, everybody’s hitting well," he said. "That's the best thing about it is, with Andrew [Miller] and Wake [Tim Wakefield] filling in, we haven't missed a beat. That's why I'm trying not to rush it back and injure something else. That’s what I'm looking at right now."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Clay Buchholz Delays Mound Session, Frustrated by Continued Soreness in Back -What should Theo do?

In Response to Clay Buchholz Delays Mound Session, Frustrated by Continued Soreness in Back -What should Theo do?:
    [QUOTE]by Tony Lee/NESN BOSTON --  The fact that the Red Sox are playing so well has made the wait a bit better. "The run we’re going on, everybody's pitching well, everybody’s hitting well," he said. "That's the best thing about it is, with Andrew [ Miller ] and Wake [ Tim Wakefield ] filling in, we haven't missed a beat. That's why I'm trying not to rush it back and injure something else. That’s what I'm looking at right now."
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

Sensible.  I'd love to see him pitching soon but only when he's better.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Clay Buchholz Delays Mound Session, Frustrated by Continued Soreness in Back -What should Theo do?

Where's softy's 8 page breakdown of this injury and lack of recovery.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Keep him on the DL until he is 100% healthy.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

i wouldn't mind if the Sox went after another SP...let Buchy get all the time he wants. The SP would be to replace Lackey in the rotation if John gets rocked a few more times.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Clay Buchholz Delays Mound Session, Frustrated by Continued Soreness in Back -What should Theo do?:
    [QUOTE]Where is Jed Lowrie? Pitchers are different than position players, poster with a lot of idle time. Where is your latest post on why Miller and Weiland need to stay behind Tim Wastefield, about 100 pages short.
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

Miller was not ready on May 1st. You still don't get it.

Miller's ERA since mis 2009 is higher than Wake's.

Weiland is not the answer you may think he is for this year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Clay Buchholz Delays Mound Session, Frustrated by Continued Soreness in Back -What should Theo do?:
    [QUOTE]i wouldn't mind if the Sox went after another SP...let Buchy get all the time he wants. The SP would be to replace Lackey in the rotation if John gets rocked a few more times.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Thats makes perfect sense, let Clay get healthy and solidify the staff with a reliable 4th, starter. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

He should spend the rest of the year in Arizona.  Look what it did for Ells.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

[QUOTE]Where is Jed Lowrie? Pitchers are different than position players, poster with a lot of idle time. Where is your latest post on why Miller and Weiland need to stay behind Tim Wastefield, about 100 pages short.
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

ells hit his 16th,what do you have to say about? maybe move him back to the three spot,you think thats about right?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

two things: read Dr. Sarno on the truth about back pain and do an hour & a half session of yoga daily -- all better

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

or Lackey can continue starting if he pitches like he did 2 of last 3 outings...solid efforts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]or Lackey can continue starting if he pitches like he did 2 of last 3 outings...solid efforts
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Ok give me Lackey turning things around and Jimenez.

Is that asking too much!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

If there aren't major improvements within the next week or so then the Red Sox NEED to go acquire another starter. 

Do you feel comfortable giving the ball to Lackey in game 3 of the playoffs?
    How about Andrew Miller?
    Tim Wakefield?

The answer is no.  I'm not saying go get Jiminez but they may have ti revisit a guy like Matt Garza.  A pitcher that you'd feel comfortable handing the ball off to in game 3.  That's the approach they have to take because there's a realistic chance that Buchholz may not recover this season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Why not send Buchohlz to Bartolo Colon's doctor?

Or Epstein can give another motivational speech.  Whatever it takes to get him back because the Red Sox need him.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from -TheBabe------------. Show -TheBabe------------'s posts

This guy won't make it back this season. He probably hurt it lifting stolen laptops.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Our pitching is in trouble. Even Beckett is missing starts for flues and aches... we should be well to remember that pitching wins.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]This guy won't make it back this season. He probably hurt it lifting stolen laptops.
    Posted by -TheBabe------------[/QUOTE]

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2002/03/12/ruben020312.html

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]Our pitching is in trouble. Even Beckett is missing starts for flues and aches... we should be well to remember that pitching wins.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

I agree with you.

Which is why the Red Sox need pitching help at the 7/31 deadline.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from -TheBabe------------. Show -TheBabe------------'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Clay Buchholz Delays Mound Session, Frustrated by Continued Soreness in Back -What should Theo do? : http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2002/03/12/ruben020312.html

Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

That's nice, but one team releases a criminal while the other signs one to an extension.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Like Clemens, ARod, Pettite, and Giambi?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I'm getting tired of the malingering by some of these RS players. If they can't cut it, they need to find a different line of work.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Hey Ike, why didn't you return to your thread where you deemed Francona a fool for not starting Beckett last night instead of Lackey. It looks like Jim really schooled you on nearly every one of your comments about his Francona's faults. Why can you dish it out and not take it or at least respond.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Clay Buchholz Delays Mound Session, Frustrated by Continued Soreness in Back -What should Theo do? : That's nice, but one team releases a criminal while the other signs one to an extension.
    Posted by -TheBabe------------[/QUOTE]

Oh but George Steinbrenner wasn't a criminal?  Obstruction of Justice along with countless other shady things he did behind the scenes?