Clay ERA now over 7

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Clay ERA now over 7

7.02 on Memorial Day

No matter what happens from here, Ben simply can not allow Buck to remain on the pitching staff.

Period.

Hopefully the talk will happen early this evening.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Clay ERA now over 7

maybe the folks who told me that half of starts were QS's can come here and chime in?

or that he is a "great value" or that "when he pitches he's great"

come on..........we know who you are.  you know who are.  and you know that I know who you are too...........don't worry, I hear crow tastes just like chicken!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

If they do not remove Clay Buchholz from the rotation now you really have to question their commitment to winning

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I think a DL stint is going to be the move. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If they do not remove Clay Buchholz from the rotation now you really have to question their commitment to winning

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

[/QUOTE]

something seriously wrong is going on if he makes his next start

he is simply not a major league pitcher.  period.  we ain't the Astros!  Or wait, maybe we are? 

Apologies to Astos fans everywhere!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

He says he's not hurt, but I'd say:

He's either hurt or he's done.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Continuing to run him out there every 5th day at this point would be an embarrassment to the franchise and an insult to the integrity of the game.  It should (and could be) his last appearance in a Boston uniform.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Nick Cafardo 9m
    Buchholz admitted his mechanics have been different after his shoulder/neck issues of last year.

Red Sox will discuss a plan of action for Buchholz moving forward. Farrell non committal about His next start

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

SEND HIM DOWN TO 3-A .......  I GUESS YOU KNOW THAT DAD & BILL-806 WAS/IS A "TOLD YOU SO" ON DAY-TO-DAY-STRANGE CLAY "........ Move him out on the next BUS to anywhere !!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

‏@PeteAbe
    That John Farrell said the #RedSox have to discuss whether Buchholz makes his next start suggests he will not.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I don't think he's either, Bob. Mechanics and confidence issues. Buch said on the post game he's trying to work through the mechanics, while on the mound.  Not sure where he'll do it, but doesn't sound like he'll make his next start. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Clay Buchholz did have a 7.19ERA on May 27 in 2012, and yet turned it around and had a 3.45 the rest of the season that year.

I know, someone is going to say "This is different!! He looks awful and lost!!"   Because we all know he was razor sharp when he had that 7.19 for 2 months in 2012...

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

it is different because:

*  He had a terrible April, if I recall, in 2012 - I mean brutal ( remember the 5 hr's he gave up vss NYY in Fenway?  First yankee game - I get home early to watch w/ family and then Buck bombs)

*  You stick w/ him (2012) because he was younger, cheaper, and had potentially several more years of control

*  His velocity was not down the way it is now

*  By this time in 2012, I believe he pitched 2 consecutive gems that followed in I believe what followed was a Shut Out - do you honestly sense 2 gems and shut out coming for him in his next few starts?

He's older, breaking down, costing more money, stuff isn't the same, and he is nearly free agency.  Different?  Like Clay vs Iron, if not, glass vs titanium.  Very different indeed..........

(actually, your citing how terrible he was in april and most of may of 2012 is all the more reason to dump him because he has had a history of being the worst pitcher in baseball for multi months before)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Here is my prediction:  Take it for what it is worth.  ( I have been known to be wrong on rare occasions )   Anthony Ranaudo will be promoted from Pawtucket to take Clay's next start.

Stabbed by Foulke.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here is my prediction:  Take it for what it is worth.  ( I have been known to be wrong on rare occasions )   Anthony Ranaudo will be promoted from Pawtucket to take Clay's next start.

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

yeah and what happens to Clay?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]     I don't know. My guess would be the D.L.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]     I don't know. My guess would be the D.L.

[/QUOTE]

well, need to figure it out because right now he's eating a roster spot.  can you put a guy on the DL if the injury is not legit?  i mean, who is to say if he has a sore back for example???

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

The Days would match up, he's been pitching well, and he is on the 40 so I'd say he's a strong candidate.  I think RDLR, and Webster are strong candidates as well.  Both those two have been pitching very well and Webster has shown much better command this year.  They could give one of those guys the nod on Thursday/Friday thus giving the rotation an extra day.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

it is different because:

His velocity was only 1.1mph greater in 2012 than it is today.  While it isa drop, it is hardly a precipitous one.  Pitchers lose 1.1mph all the time over 2 year stretches.  Some (Adam Kennedy) do get it back, too.

*  By this time in 2012, I believe he pitched 2 consecutive gems that followed in I believe what followed was a Shut Out - do you honestly sense 2 gems and shut out coming for him in his next few starts?

By this time in 2012, Buchholz had all of 2 quality starts and ZERO outings of less than 2 earned runs.  His third quality start was actually on May 27 of that year.  It wasn't until June that he began pitching well.  Did you think that after two months of every start being 2 ER or greater, Buchholz would turn around his 2012?

He's older, breaking down, costing more money, stuff isn't the same, and he is nearly free agency.  Different?  Like Clay vs Iron, if not, glass vs titanium.  Very different indeed..........

He's all of 2 years older and not even 30 yet.  He is also not nearly a free agent.  The only difference is that in 2014, you have clearly run up the white flag on him.  You probably did in 2012 as well.  And for that matter, probably did most of his career.

I seriously doubt Buchholz will ever be the pitcher he was in 2013 again.  That was his career year.  But it doesn't make him done. and certainly not done all of one year removed from it.

But we all get how this works.  Buchholz had some injury problems, and therefore has drawn your ire as a new whipping boy.  You did this same act on Lester as recently as 2012.  Was that the end of Lester's career?

(actually, your citing how terrible he was in april and most of may of 2012 is all the more reason to dump him because he has had a history of being the worst pitcher in baseball for multi months before)

While his history as being a great pitcher is limited, Buchholz was NEVER the worst pitcher in baseball.  And he isn't even the worst pitcher in 2014...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

it is different because:

His velocity was only 1.1mph greater in 2012 than it is today.  While it isa drop, it is hardly a precipitous one.  Pitchers lose 1.1mph all the time over 2 year stretches.  Some (Adam Kennedy) do get it back, too.

By this time in 2012, Buchholz had all of 2 quality starts and ZERO outings of less than 2 earned runs.  His third quality start was actually on May 27 of that year.  It wasn't until June that he began pitching well.  Did you think that after two months of every start being 2 ER or greater, Buchholz would turn around his 2012?

He's all of 2 years older and not even 30 yet.  He is also not nearly a free agent.  The only difference is that in 2014, you have clearly run up the white flag on him.  You probably did in 2012 as well.  And for that matter, probably did most of his career.

I seriously doubt Buchholz will ever be the pitcher he was in 2013 again.  That was his career year.  But it doesn't make him done. and certainly not done all of one year removed from it.

But we all get how this works.  Buchholz had some injury problems, and therefore has drawn your ire as a new whipping boy.  You did this same act on Lester as recently as 2012.  Was that the end of Lester's career?

While his history as being a great pitcher is limited, Buchholz was NEVER the worst pitcher in baseball.  And he isn't even the worst pitcher in 2014...

[/QUOTE]

a lot pitchers were GREAT for a "LIMITED" Time.  Andy Hawkins was great on July 1, 1990 in Chicago.  But it was "limited".  Mark the Bird was great for a few months too. 

it's real easy to play along.  Hey, on May 26th 2014, Clay Buchholtz was in fact the worst pitcher in baseball (for a limited time but it's still true; so you see, he has IN FACT been the worst pitcher in baseball!!!!)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

it is different because:

[/QUOTE]

a lot pitchers were GREAT for a "LIMITED" Time.  Andy Hawkins was great on July 1, 1990 in Chicago.  But it was "limited".  Mark the Bird was great for a few months too. 

it's real easy to play along.  Hey, on May 26th 2014, Clay Buchholtz was in fact the worst pitcher in baseball (for a limited time but it's still true; so you see, he has IN FACT been the worst pitcher in baseball!!!!)

[/QUOTE]

And John Lackey was historically bad in 2011, If all the whiners in here had their way we would have sold low on every single player we have and the organization would be in shambles. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

So disappointed that the people who said last winter not to trade Clay AND the people who said that "when Clay pitches he's the best" AND those who said that "he's a great value" refuse to come to this thread.  It could had been fun.  Oh well. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

So disappointed that the people who said last winter not to trade Clay AND the people who said that "when Clay pitches he's the best" AND those who said that "he's a great value" refuse to come to this thread.  It could had been fun.  Oh well. 

[/QUOTE]

It is tough to trade pitchers but in this case the sox should have.  Trading Clay for a hitter would have been a good idea.