Clay "ferris Bueller" Bucholz

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMaskedAvenger. Show TheMaskedAvenger's posts

Clay "ferris Bueller" Bucholz

Vacation time is over. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: Clay

"Hello? ......Yes, can I speak to a..... Dr. James Andrews?" 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I am tired of Bucholtz act as well. if he had gotten back sooner in 2011 we might have won one extra game that had gotten us into the playoffs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Fortunately the Sox are in good enough position that they can afford to let him rest. 

Unfortuntately Buchholz goes through this every year and has shown he is not durable enough to make it through an entire season. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

My thoughts had been either lay is hurt more seriously than was reported or he was a guy who didint have great pain tolerance.....looks like the latter is true.....the below quote from John Farrell speaks Volumes....the sox clearly think that Clay should have been back on the mound by now, if he had only pushed his way through the intial discomfort of a recovered injury.....you donlt see Managers make statements like this too often.

From my understanding of the exam and what Dr. Andrews relayed to [Buchholz] is that he's going to feel some, at times, some little stiffness or discomfort just by virtue of getting back in pitching shape," Farrell said. "[Andrews] felt that as [Buchholz] ramps back up, he;s going to experience some of those but the root of it is not because of an injury. It's more just reconditioning and getting the throwing arm back in shape.

"I would think there would be more readiness on his part to push through that."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

My thoughts had been either lay is hurt more seriously than was reported or he was a guy who didint have great pain tolerance.....looks like the latter is true.....the below quote from John Farrell speaks Volumes....the sox clearly think that Clay should have been back on the mound by now, if he had only pushed his way through the intial discomfort of a recovered injury.....you donlt see Managers make statements like this too often.

From my understanding of the exam and what Dr. Andrews relayed to [Buchholz] is that he's going to feel some, at times, some little stiffness or discomfort just by virtue of getting back in pitching shape," Farrell said. "[Andrews] felt that as [Buchholz] ramps back up, he;s going to experience some of those but the root of it is not because of an injury. It's more just reconditioning and getting the throwing arm back in shape.

To develop your point further, Clay is one nervous fellow.  He reminds me on the Don Knotts characters.  He doesn't have the mental toughness of a Curt Schilling or a Pedro Martinez to be sure.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I agree that Clay can get in his own way mentally sometimes. I also believe that hes not going to be that pitcher that gives you 200IP a year. I think after his back incident he wants to be 100% confident that theres nothing wrong or that no further damage can be done.

Posters here complain about the medical staff being incompetent (although theres been a complete turnover over the last year or so). So why blame Buch for wanting to be sure his shoulder was in no danger of further damage?

Turns out the med staff was exactly right on this one. Andrews saw the inflammation that the Sox staff did. Thats it. Now Buch can get back to work and get back on the mound for the Sox. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

My opinion is that Clay was concerned, and rightly so, that if he pitched while still in pain, he risked doing further damage to his shoulder.  In that respect, I can understand why he would not want to push through the pain.

With Dr. Andrews' diagnosis confirming what the Sox medical staff has already told him, and with the reassurance that Clay will not cause further damage to himself by pitching through the pain, I fully expect Clay to ramp it up and be back on the mound soon.

If he continues to claim that he cannot or will not pitch until he is pain free now that he should have some peace of mind, then I think we can question his mental toughness.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

[QUOTE]

My opinion is that Clay was concerned, and rightly so, that if he pitched while still in pain, he risked doing further damage to his shoulder.  In that respect, I can understand why he would not want to push through the pain.

With Dr. Andrews' diagnosis confirming what the Sox medical staff has already told him, and with the reassurance that Clay will not cause further damage to himself by pitching through the pain, I fully expect Clay to ramp it up and be back on the mound soon.

If he continues to claim that he cannot or will not pitch until he is pain free now that he should have some peace of mind, then I think we can question his mental toughness.

[/QUOTE]

I dont think that Clay cares whether fan's question is Mental tougness, but the quote from his Manager seems to indicate his Manager is questioning his Mental toughness....which probably mean alot of his teammates arent happy with him either...hopefully you are correct and it will all be behind him now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Lefty Grove at age 37:

262 innings pitched; 21 complete games; 3.02 ERA; 17-9; started 32 games

I would guess about 5 of those games were against Ruth, Gehrig & Co., and another 5 against Hank Greenberg, Rudy York & Co.

I wonder if Lefty might have had  bit of flu. or a bad hammy, or a stiff shoulder, or a crik in his neck now and then.

I can understand not wanting to play if there is a chance it will severly aggravate the condition; but a stiff neck? With no muscle damage? C'mon Man!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

Lefty Grove at age 37:

I would guess about 5 of those games were against Ruth, Gehrig & Co., and another 5 against Hank Greenberg, Rudy York & Co.

I wonder if Lefty might have had  bit of flu. or a bad hammy, or a stiff shoulder, or a crik in his neck now and then.

I can understand not wanting to play if there is a chance it will severly aggravate the condition; but a stiff neck? With no muscle damage? C'mon Man!

Lefty Grove also wasn't potentialy worth over 100 million dollars, with his next contract.

Try to use a little common sense, ocassionally.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

[QUOTE]

Lefty Grove at age 37:

Lefty Grove also wasn't potentialy worth over 100 million dollars, with his next contract.

[/QUOTE]
      Money is relative given the times. Grove and those guys pitched during the depression.  If they didn't have baseball they well could have been walking the breadlines. Warren Spahn pitched 25 or so complete games a year into his forties.  He fought at the battle of the Bulge.  The atheletes of today are over trained IMHO and as skittish as racehorses as a result.  They also lack the mental toughness of the days past. 

In CB case, even if one doesn't agree with the above, he is naturally an uptight personality.  Just look how oftern he throws to 1st when the runners have less than a foot lead, that's nerves pure and simple.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

bottom line here. hey Clay, take a lesson from the retired captain jason varitek. wanna talk about one tough sob? interviewed after a game with double ice bags on his knees and his shoulder rapped. yeah, you're gonna be a little sore. but it's gonna be a good soreness. it's called getting back into baseball shape. so, take a couple of aleve's and get loose.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

I am tired of Bucholtz act as well. if he had gotten back sooner in 2011 we might have won one extra game that had gotten us into the playoffs.

Yeah, everyone should pitch with a broken back.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Buchholz is SOFT and he is not a competitor who has a burning desire to win.  He needs to get off his butt and pitch. Plain and simple.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Lefty Grove at age 37:

That's the point.  Those guys wanted to play and weren't about the money.  They played to win.  Clay worries about feeling some pain even though he knows medically that there is no major damage and he won't hurt his arm by pitching.  I' m getting tired of his act.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Too much evidence the medical staff has been wrong in the past.  Plus pain is usually a reliable indicator you shouldn't do something.  Pitching is uniquely stressful and able to cause injuries.  This year alone we have seen Hanrahan and Bailey, both nonstarters, go under the knife.  Lackey missed a couple of weeks for something very minor.  I am willing to give Buchholz the benefit of the doubt. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Too much evidence the medical staff has been wrong in the past.  Plus pain is usually a reliable indicator you shouldn't do something.  Pitching is uniquely stressful and able to cause injuries.  This year alone we have seen Hanrahan and Bailey, both nonstarters, go under the knife.  Lackey missed a couple of weeks for something very minor.  I am willing to give Buchholz the benefit of the doubt. 

Dr. James Andrews, the BEST doctor in the world for pitchers has cleared him to pitch, agreeing with the Red Sox doctors.  It's all between Clay's ears now and sometimes I don't think that's much.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Well, maybe I just can't read between the lines, but i don't get what is so telling about Farrell's quote.  The reason Clay got the second opinion was because he is still feeling pain.  So, Andrews tells him the pain is going to be there, but it won't lead to further injury, so he can just pitch through it.  

I personally don't want my ace pitcher trying to be Jason Varitek or some other tough SOB.  Hangnail, blister, thigh bruise, fine.  If he has pain in his neck and back, I don't want him risking serious damage.  

Now, having this diagnosis from the vaunted Dr. Andrews, we can determine if he really is just "soft".  No reason for him not to get on the horse now.  But, prior to this, I would have been reticent to ramp it up again too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In today's world, players often ask advice from their agents Agent may say that Clay's value on the open market when the time comes will be less if he puts any severe stress on his arm.

Result: Call in sick!

boboinfla

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMaskedAvenger. Show TheMaskedAvenger's posts

Perhaps his parents knew when they named him "Clay". As a fan it is frustrating to have strong information that he can pitch, but basically chooses not to.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the guy should be embarrassed by all this but he's not - shameful

As always - 100% correct!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma09. Show scauma09's posts

Said many times he is (now was) my favorite player. Something just seems off about this now. He's talking about late August/early September to come back. That seems a bit excessive and almost makes you wonder if he's trying to prove a point. Either way they have to be fed up with him by now. And there's no way he gets 100 million when he's injured every year. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to scauma09's comment:

Said many times he is (now was) my favorite player. Something just seems off about this now. He's talking about late August/early September to come back. That seems a bit excessive and almost makes you wonder if he's trying to prove a point. Either way they have to be fed up with him by now. And there's no way he gets 100 million when he's injured every year. 

He's overpaid right now!  He is getting paid for a full season and he is giving them a third of that.

Sections
Shortcuts