Clay-less Sox-do they have the stuff to win the World Series?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jete02fann. Show Jete02fann's posts

Clay-less Sox-do they have the stuff to win the World Series?

GM all.
    If the Sox make it that far, who is the 3rd starter and how does he match up with the Phillies or Giants 3rd starter?
    Presently, Lackey is number 3. Can he match up with the Phillies, Cy Young contender, Cole Hamels, or the Giants, All-Star right-hander, Ryan Vogelsong?
    You will need a quality performance from Lackey. In 2004 the Sox had Martinez, Schilling and Lowe and in 2007 the Sox had Beckett, Schilling, Matsuzaka and Lester.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Re: Clay-less Sox-do they have the stuff to win the World Series?

In 2004 Lowe had an ERA of +5.00 in the regular season. In 2007 Daisuke had a 4.40 ERA and Lester had been recovering from cancer and only pitched in 11 games with a +4.50 ERA in the regular season.

ERA and numbers don't always tell the game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

WS are not often defined by the 3rd starter, someone who often only starts a single game.

That being said, yes. As was proven last night, Lackey, with this offense behind him, can beat ANY pitcher in baseball. Unless you'd like to argue that Hamels and Vogel are far superior to Sabathia...I'm all ears (and eyes, as the case may be).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

The real question is... can the Yankees win it all when their ace is unable to beat the Red Sox?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

A Rh slugging OF'er would help the odds. As is, Phillies only slight WS favorite.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Bingo.  Softy has solved the problem.  Get that righty outfielder, and I know just the guy, a former Red Sox leftfielder who hit a bunch of dingers and drove in like 120 runs for us not too long ago.  Jason Bay.  Best of all, since softy has assured us that Jake's reverse pivot swing is a disaster in the making, I'll bet Theo would trade him even up to the Mets for Jason Bay.  Dump Ellsbury, get Bay. 

Another righty bat would help, no doubt, but to be honest I like those lefty bats we already have.  They did most of the damage yesterday against the best lefty starter in the AL. 

Way too early to project WS chances.  If last year proved nothing else, it proved that the pathway to the WS, let alone winning it, is cluttered with the idiosyncratic nature of MLB playoffs.  Shouda been the Yankees and Phillies, but turned out to be the Rangers and Giants.  The Sox ended their 86 year drought as a wild card team that had to beat the Yankees in the ALCS after losing the first three games. 

Right now I like the Sox chances better than the Yankees because of Beckett and Lester and I think better hitting (this can certainly be debated when ARod returns).  Garcia, Colon, Hughes, and Burnett are a very decent foursome and the bullpen is pretty darn good.  That should guarantee the Yankees are in the playoffs.  But I like us in the playoffs.  That said, I think the Sox will be hit harder if they have a significant injury--AGon, Pedroia, Youkilis, or Ellsbury, plus of course Beckett or Lester. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Bay is a joke, in your witless sarcasm.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Re: Clay-less Sox-do they have the stuff to win the World Series?:
    Bay is a joke, in your witless sarcasm.
    Posted by softylaw

Wit is in the eye of the beholder.  The fact remains, you have insisted ad nauseum that right now the Sox must dump Ellsbury--"sell high"--to bring in a righty power-hitting outfielder.  No ifs, ands, or buts.

However, as I have pointed out (and you have ignored), neither the Yankees nor the Red Sox, the two best offenses in MLB, has a good righty bat in the outfield.  They also share the best record in the AL. 

Of course a good righty bat has the potential to help either team, but neither has taken the plunge for a variety of reasons.  Thus I think it is foolish of you to keep insisting that this move must be made by Theo and made now.  Most of us recognize that your foolishness comes from an indefensible position--that Ellsbury is an inadequate player despite having some great numbers this year. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Most don't recognize your foolishness on AGon last winter or anything else. This board has a few regular bullies, all clueless.

Agon was "obtainiable" according to this board except for a "ransom price". You are quite wrong! Any player on a bankrupt team down to one year of control is "attainable".

You are a small mind. Long term, Ellsbury isn't going to be signed. Kemp arbitration year is about 10 to 12M. Extension woud be 18-20M. Kemp is younger.

2012 to 2018 7 years for Kemp range would be about 136M.

Ellsbury 2012 to 2018 7 years for Ellsbury range would be about 120M.

Base average difference is about 2M a year more for Kemp.

Now, what idiot who has Crawford on his books is going to put Ellsbury on his books long term?

And, given how rare talent like Kemp is, on a team with zilch on young star slugging RH OF talent, what idiot is going to wait around and hope some other big market team doesn't get Kemp via trade or FA bidding war?

Kemp's value goes down if 2012 isn't captured and starts a year older

(We'll see how pre-WS talk about no need to seek anthing but a dumpster dive Rh bat works out. No need to worry about Crawford, Ellsbury and Reddick and redneck Drew do against Philly staff;)

You keep ignoring long term, and focusing on yesterday and snapshot of today.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You keep ignoring the fact that Kemp will not want to extend in Boston due to their blatant racism, as you have made so very clear. One call to Barry Bonds and Kemp flies.

Sections
Shortcuts