Re: Clay vs Jacoby
posted at 8/1/2011 4:24 PM EDT
In Response to Re: Clay vs Jacoby
[QUOTE] To slomag: You post that "Ellsbury was the only one who came across as putting his own interests ahead of the team's" Really, based on what? Boston media crucified Ellsbury for going to Arizona and seeking a second opinion. Then we discovered that team doctors had misdiagnosed his injury and that he had 5 broken ribs as opposed to bruised ribs. Then he came back and reinjured himself and they pounced on him again. You spew the same line of garbage about Ellsbry's supposed selfishness but most Sox fans have come to understand that this guy has always played hard and given his best to the team. We are very lucky to have him playing for the Sox, but if he does take his talents elsewhere the Boston media and fans like you who thoughtlessly smeared him will be partially to blame.
Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]
My comment was based on
1) Pedroia taking ground balls with his foot in a cast
2) Cameron playing through a Sports Hernia
3) Hermida playing with the exact same injury as Ellsbury
4) Comments made by Ellsbury to the media about the Sox medical staff - e.g. airing dirty laundry.
5) Ellsbury returning from the injury and setting his own time-table of return through the media, despite raking at Pawtucket, then shutting himself down (again through the media) when struggled in his first few major-league games.
6) Comments made as recently as February about not necessarily being 100%.
Ellsbury is not going to sign a contract extension with the Sox. It would have been done by now if he were thinking of offering any sort of home-town discount. And the single biggest reason we have Crawford on the roster right now is because of the way Ellsbury held the Sox hostage in 2010. My guess is he's gone this winter, and while he's a terrific player, I'm not going to shed any tears when he's gone.
Final thought - of the dozens of Sox players on the DL in 2010, only Ellsbury's injury resulted in this soap opera.