Clean up starts with Josh Beckett

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: Clean up starts with Josh Beckett-Ridding clubhouse of stench means he must go

Does anyone really read Tomase?  Like he's some credible sports voice?  If you're using a Herald/Tomase story to back up your p.o.v. you're clearly a negative person looking for a reason to pile into a single player rather than recognizing that the WHOLE organization was at fault for the collapse.  I see a lot of posters looking for a scapegoat, and I guess Beckett is on the docket for today.  Good luck to you nit pickers and self promoters telling us how you knew so-and-so was the problem all along.  Laughable.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: Clean up starts with Josh Beckett-Ridding clubhouse of stench means he must go

Why not try to trade him with his sub 3 ERA?  YOu might get some real value.

I'm not opposed to that either...but unless we can come up with, say, a young, potential ace-quality starting pitcher or a young, righthanded, potential star right fielder (maybe revisit Justin Upton? Beckett could thrive in the NL West), I'm not convinced it would be worth it.

Read him the riot act and tell him he is pitching for his career.  Because he will be.

I absolutely agree.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Beckett is not a scapegoat, he is a drunk.  If that guy sits around everyday drinking beer he has a problem and it's called alcoholism.

I'm shock after all Lester has been through with cancer that he is willing to jeopardize his career with booze.

I think with ownership the thrill is gone with owning the sox.  They have new interests now with soccer teams and race cars.  They are spoiled brats along with some of the players.

Ortiz should be tarred and feathered then run out of town for talking about going to the yanks.  I thought he cared about the fans, guess not if he is willing to turn tail and run to the yanks.

Bad time of the sox and their fans.  Oh well, we always have '04!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I have been saying for a few days that Now is the time to trade Beckett.....you will not get higher value than you can right now(though all the clubhouse stuff diminishes it somewhat). In addition, the trade of Beckett makes it easier to also let his personal Catcher in Tek move on. I have totally enjoyed the last 8 years and getting the championships was special for all us fans who have been rooting for the sox for decades, but they only make it easier in my mind to do some house cleaning......play some kids next year....lets see what they have as far as potential goes.....most will fail of course but hopefully we finds a gem or two. If we don't make the playoffs next year, I can live with that.....I would rather that than this organization become the laughing stock of baseball where players don;t want to play here again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Re: Clean up starts with Josh Beckett

What professional athlete of any stature   added 15-20 pounds  during a play off run?
    If your Beckett your contract says your making $x   to pitch and stay in shape to pitch.

Having had working years of  250,000-300,000 air miles   about 10 times what these guys  out in, I know your tired  after a day of work and getting on the red eye in LA...  but  most road warriors aren't getting into a specially converted 757 with 50-60   business class  lay flat seats...

This team whined about going to Japan and this year  whined about playing Sunday nights.

Send those whiners to KC or some place where they don't want you for  Fox Saturday -  or Sunday night.

You think the Detroit Loions are mad they had to play on Monday night for the 1st time in 10 years ?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In Response to Re: Clean up starts with Josh Beckett-Ridding clubhouse of stench means he must go:
    [QUOTE] Wow,  Josh Beckett was the next best thing to mom's apple pie a few months ago.  Now we have to get rid of him?    It is amazing to think that but for Elsbury running into the wall, and Papelbon not getting the save in the last game, none of this would be going on.   And all of you high and mighty and what have you done for me lately complainers are probably hoisting your beers as you are complaining.  What went on the Sox clubhouse is no different than so many other ball clubs, but to simply trash the team, and Francona, is ridiculous.    The clean up starts with erasing all that went on this year and starting anew with a clean slate, but that clean slate doesn't mean getting rid of all the players.    Clean up starts with Josh Beckett-Ridding clubhouse of stench means he must go :
    Posted by carolgolds[/QUOTE]

If they had made the post season it would have just been prolonging even more finger pointing and firings. Perhaps not all the dirty laundry would have been aired, but it was coming. Funny, maybe its the Dirty Water thats the cause.

You act like Beckett is untouchable. He had a nice numbers year, but where was he in September when it mattered most? He stunk. As did Lackey(all yr) and Lester. Lester can be salvaged and he can be great. Maybe it is just time to move Beckett because he is very tradeable right now. It makes sense. The Sox can survive without Beckett in the rotation.

And this is at least 2 yrs running now that Beckett has left his conditioning behind when it mattered most.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In Response to Re: Clean up starts with Josh Beckett-Ridding clubhouse of stench means he must go:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Clean up starts with Josh Beckett-Ridding clubhouse of stench means he must go : yup.  But, it would be foolish to expect anything else.   No doubt Beckett's wings n' tall boy fest showed distinct lack of team spirit and leadership.  But, as has been said repeatedly but drowned out in the din of the witch hunt, this kind of behavior ain't exactly new in the majors.  That is not a justification, just some perspective before people talk about running the best pitcher the Sox have out of town.  Does he need an attitude adjustment?  Yes.   Things obviously deteriorated for many on this club.  But, lets not throw the baby out with the bath water.  Same thing, in my view, for all the people calling for Ortiz' stake burning because of his recent interview.  Seriously, the dude has lost the easy going charm of his heyday Big papi persona.  But that started to crumble a few years back anyway.  Him expressing a desire to get out of the drama or expressing that the door would be open to playing for the Yankees (and he was prompted anyway: the media scock jocks would be remiss if they didn't try to get a Sox player to express a willingness or unwillingness to don the pinstripes when their contract is up) is no reason to run him out of town.  ridiculous.  Dude had an OPS north of .950.  Now, he could price himself out of town, fine.  But all the calling for heads is really short-sighted.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I think it is time for Ortiz to go not because of what he recently said, but because his days of heroics are long gone in Boston. And he is now 36. He can't run. He can't field. He doesn't run hustle down the line. He can't quit complaining within the organization or at the plate. His numbers are nice, but where was he when the team needed a leader, a voice and a timely homer? I appreciate all he has done for the Sox, but he is overpaid for what he now provides.

Let me ask you this: How long should the Sox keep keeping him for? a year, 2 yrs. and at what price? Maybe the Sox could use a guy who can DH and give them options in the field.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]Package Beckett, Lackey and big Papi together and ship them to the National League. Maybe the Cubs perhaps for something in return.
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE]

Really? Papi is a free agent and who would take on Beckett and Lackey's contracts, something in the $100M range? The Cubs are in the process or reducing payroll, not adding dead payroll.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]Why not try to trade him with his sub 3 ERA?  YOu might get some real value.  If you can't move him for the right price.  Read him the riot act and tell him he is pitching for his career.  Because he will be.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

And that threat will work? He's due to make $16M guaranteed for the next 3 years. That's the problem. Threats don't work with these overpaid, overweight
    ballplayers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]Why not try to trade him with his sub 3 ERA?  YOu might get some real value. I'm not opposed to that either...but unless we can come up with, say, a young, potential ace-quality starting pitcher or a young, righthanded, potential star right fielder (maybe revisit Justin Upton? Beckett could thrive in the NL West), I'm not convinced it would be worth it. Read him the riot act and tell him he is pitching for his career.  Because he will be. I absolutely agree.
    Posted by Flapjack07[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox would have to throw in Ellsbury and others to get Justin Upton. Arizona doesn't want big contract players like Beckett.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Clean up starts with Josh Beckett-Ridding clubhouse of stench means he must go : I think it is time for Ortiz to go not because of what he recently said, but because his days of heroics are long gone in Boston. And he is now 36. He can't run. He can't field. He doesn't run hustle down the line. He can't quit complaining within the organization or at the plate. His numbers are nice, but where was he when the team needed a leader, a voice and a timely homer? I appreciate all he has done for the Sox, but he is overpaid for what he now provides. Let me ask you this: How long should the Sox keep keeping him for? a year, 2 yrs. and at what price? Maybe the Sox could use a guy who can DH and give them options in the field.
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE]

Exactly! We've been seeing the same thing with Wakefield and Varitek. Enough is enough. Let them find (try) work elsewhere because they know they won't.

Having Ortiz and Wakefield on your roster essentially reduced it by 2 people. Ortiz can't play the field, him being on the team prevents position players from DH'ing to get some rest, and he clogs up the bases.

Wakefield on the roster means you are allocating a roster spot to someone who pitches in garbage time, takes a toll on the catcher due to the difficulty in catching the knuckleball, and will be a distraction because "The fans want to see me break the record".

Send them off. Michael Cuddyer will be cheaper and can play multiple positions.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

seriously, the reason why this team was dead in the water in crunch time was because we were old, entitled, and out of shape....i dont think that situation is going to improve with our veteran albatrosses

time to get younger

tek, wake, papi need to go somewhere else and take their diva act with them

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Don't trade Josh Beckett. It's a bad idea. You're angry with him enough to send emails, call radio stations and curse his name. But take a step back.

Beckett had a 2.89 earned run average and a 1.02 WHIP over 193 innings. The Red Sox were 20-10 in games he started. Beckett also has two World Series rings and a 3.07 ERA in 93.2 career postseason innings.

The Red Sox are in no position to get rid of good starting pitchers. Beckett took the ball 30 times and 24 times he allowed three earned runs or less.

Beyond that, you'll never get close to equal value in return for him. Beckett earned his 10/5 no-trade rights last season and can either refuse a trade or dictate where he goes. So that will cut down the market.

The Red Sox already need to find at least one decent start via trade or free agency. Getting two would be incredibly difficult.

Beckett can be a pain in the neck and he was wrong to hang around the clubhouse drinking beer when games were being played. But that can be fixed.

Beckett looked up to John Lackey and it's my belief that Lackey poisoned the well and was more the ringleader than Beckett was. Get rid of Lackey what whatever the cost and take away Beckett's playmate. Get a manager who will enforce the basic rules of conduct. Get a pitching coach who will stand up to him and Beckett will do his job.

The Red Sox lost because their starting pitching was atrocious. Trading Beckett makes that problem worse. The idea is to win games, not exact revenge.

Beckett didn't get drunk and drive through an orphanage in a dump truck. He had a few pops in the clubhouse during the game. It was wrong and he needs a kick in the butt. But you don't trade somebody for that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

The Red Sox would have to throw in Ellsbury and others to get Justin Upton. Arizona doesn't want big contract players like Beckett.

Oh, I know that would likely never happen...just dreaming here. But it reinforces the point that getting something like equal value for Beckett (who, like him or not, is a bona fide ace when he's healthy and in shape) ain't gonna be easy. 

Sections
Shortcuts