Clemens and Steroids Poll

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Clemens and Steroids Poll

How do we feel about Roger and Steroids?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Re: Clemens and Steroids Poll

It's not as much the steroids as it is his narcissism. I'll never forget when he threw that broken bat at Piazza. The guy is a classless human being!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

He has to be punished for lying under oath, not that I'm a fan of Congress, or think they needed to get involved.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Clemens is an enigma to me. He had the capability to stand as a timeless hero whose accomplishments were un-rivaled in sports and someone who would have catapulted Boston's own sports history into the stratosphere. Instead he chose the low road getting involved in spats, pissing contests, petty violence at his son's little league games, steroid "allegations", probable lying and cover-ups and he tarnished the legacy he sought to preserve. I doubt there is any team or city that is eager to claim him as one of there's?

Clemens is a walking tragedy only he doesn't know it yet. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In Response to Re: Clemens and Steroids Poll:
    [QUOTE]It's not as much the steroids as it is his narcissism. I'll never forget when he threw that broken bat at Piazza. The guy is a classless human being!
    Posted by harv53[/QUOTE]

Is it that we expect too much of our heroes and hate them when they have all the same foilbles that we have?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

End of the day Clemens not unlike many who played in the late 90's and into the early part of the new millinium used and abused steriods. As such has forever tarnished his on the field accomplishments. He and Bond's will forever be the poster boys for that ERA along with Arod, Macquire, Manny and Sosa. All IMHO should forever be banished from Hall of Fame consideration. A small price to pay given the millions they've reaped in the twilights of thier careers while cheating mother nature...I still find it hard to fathom how MLB could allow a know user to wear the uniform as a coach...while the hit king is still banished for "betting on the game while a manager"...

Then there are guys like Andy Petitte (insert halo) who chose the high road and didn't hide the fact that he used...Instead came clean in his tearful pressor, stating that he did so in the interest of team (at least that's what he and his agent wanted us to believe)...Who today is seen in a different light. However IMHO is just as guilty as Roger and all those that used and abused in the interest of enhancing thier ability to compete at a high level and thus making themselves more valueable on the open market at an age when those that came before them often were starting the inevitable decline...

In the end as Zac would often state during the hieght of the steriod controversy....those that make the drugs (Heckle) will always be one step ahead of those that develop test for them (Jeckle). As long the time doesn't fit the crime...Players will continue to seek the latest and greatest PED in the interest of staying relevent and reaping millions in return...

Manny Ramirez the year that he was busted signed a 25 million dollar deal with the Dodgers that offseason failed a drug test and was suspended for 50 games...after paying the fines and taking a two month vacation...still earned in excess of 17M that year...enough money to retire to your own personal island...So I ask...if you were in the same position would you use....I would...now if the penalty for one positive test was a two year suspension without pay and weekly drug testing during that time in order to apply for reinstatement and then a life time ban if you test positive again...Knowing that not sure that Ryan Bruan would then have considered using...

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I miss Clemons... 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

[QUOTE]End of the day Clemens not unlike many who played in the late 90's and into the early part of the new millinium used and abused steriods. As such has forever tarnished his on the field accomplishments. He and Bond's will forever be the poster boys for that ERA along with Arod, Macquire, Manny and Sosa. All IMHO should forever be banished from Hall of Fame consideration. A small price to pay given the millions they've reaped in the twilights of thier careers while cheating mother nature...I still find it hard to fathom how MLB could allow a know user to wear the uniform as a coach...while the hit king is still banished for "betting on the game while a manager"... Then there are guys like Andy Petitte (insert halo) who chose the high road and didn't hide the fact that he used...Instead came clean in his tearful pressor, stating that he did so in the interest of team (at least that's what he and his agent wanted us to believe)...Who today is seen in a different light. However IMHO is just as guilty as Roger and all those that used and abused in the interest of enhancing thier ability to compete at a high level and thus making themselves more valueable on the open market at an age when those that came before them often were starting the inevitable decline... In the end as Zac would often state during the hieght of the steriod controversy....those that make the drugs (Heckle) will always be one step ahead of those that develop test for them (Jeckle). As long the time doesn't fit the crime...Players will continue to seek the latest and greatest PED in the interest of staying relevent and reaping millions in return... Manny Ramirez the year that he was busted signed a 25 million dollar deal with the Dodgers that offseason failed a drug test and was suspended for 50 games...after paying the fines and taking a two month vacation...still earned in excess of 17M that year...enough money to retire to your own personal island...So I ask...if you were in the same position would you use....I would...now if the penalty for one positive test was a two year suspension without pay and weekly drug testing during that time in order to apply for reinstatement and then a life time ban if you test positive again...Knowing that not sure that Ryan Bruan would then have considered using...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Beantowne

Thanks for your insight and honesty.

The paradox is we have all been taken in by these players yet, we might have done the same thing to gain the fame and cash!

It appears that steroids rescued Clemens career when he left Boston for Toronto and McNamee comes on the scene with the juice. So, much of Clemens mid to late career is likely based on drug use; maybe even most of it? Disappointing, for him, for us, for baseball. He was such a hero; doing the honest way and achieving less would have been more noble and endearing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I just don't care anymore.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bucky-dent. Show bucky-dent's posts

Who cares he lied to congress. Has congress ever been untruth to you?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

[QUOTE]I just don't care anymore.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I wish I could not care. Icon cheats. Icon lies. Icon tries to protect his status as icon but destoys it more. Icon has no concern for others or what is right and fair.  What are we as fans supposed to feel? Shouldn't we be Angry that Clemens duped us!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

He should be punished for lying under oath. No doubt about that. As far as steroid use....If every player that used steroids (past & present) were to be punished, there would be players from every team in baseball. Other sports too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

I despise the guy.  I have no doubt he took steroids.  Unfortunately, the case is probably not strong enough.  Hopefully it affects his HOF chances.

He was dead to me when he said he wanted to go to Toronto so he'd be closer to his home (in Texas).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

In Response to Clemens and Steroids Poll:
    [QUOTE]How do we feel about Roger and Steroids?
    Posted by NYC[/QUOTE]
      People need to get off their crosses- we can use the wood. Those who want Clemens jailed can hide behind their fake horror at the charges of lying under oath but it's obvious him thumbing his nose at Duquette is the real reason, the same reason Damon still gets booed in Boston. To hell with what he did while he was here, look where he went ! Where the money was. Players don't get wrapped up in this loyaly fan stuff like foolish fans do, and if you say you wouldn't have done what either of the above mentioned did, you're lying. To jail with Clemens, that damn Yankee !!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

The government's case is weak, at best.  Their star witness is an admitted liar, and drug dealer.  It's a show trial and a HUGE waste of money.  Even if he did get injected w/ HGH I hope he gets off.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Clemens and Steroids Poll :   People need to get off their crosses- we can use the wood. Those who want Clemens jailed can hide behind their fake horror at the charges of lying under oath but it's obvious him thumbing his nose at Duquette is the real reason, the same reason Damon still gets booed in Boston. To hell with what he did while he was here, look where he went ! Where the money was. Players don't get wrapped up in this loyaly fan stuff like foolish fans do, and if you say you wouldn't have done what either of the above mentioned did, you're lying. To jail with Clemens, that damn Yankee !!!
    Posted by NHBALLFAN[/QUOTE]

I like your honesty and sobriety. It is a confiict for most of us that we may have done what Clemens did (take the money and fame), yet despise it. And fans are foolish and wrapped up in loyalty. The problem is he destroyed the game of baseball by demolishing records that were steroid driven; he destoyed integrity and he has acted arrogantly about everything. How can you like a guy like that?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Clemens and Steroids Poll :   People need to get off their crosses- we can use the wood. Those who want Clemens jailed can hide behind their fake horror at the charges of lying under oath but it's obvious him thumbing his nose at Duquette is the real reason, the same reason Damon still gets booed in Boston. To hell with what he did while he was here, look where he went ! Where the money was. Players don't get wrapped up in this loyaly fan stuff like foolish fans do, and if you say you wouldn't have done what either of the above mentioned did, you're lying. To jail with Clemens, that damn Yankee !!!

You make it sound like anyone who thinks that the law has to be enforced, is just a red sox homer. Why should he get a pass? However, as another poster pointed out, Palmeiro and Sosa should have gotten the same treatment. If these guys can get away with lying under oath, why should anyone be expected to tell the truth?

As far as the steroids go, it was a sad time for all of baseball. The league turned a blind eye to it, and the big numbers that these guys were putting up helped generate more interest and revenue. I mostly blame the commissioner's office for not nipping it earlier.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Nope, I can't agree with that portion of your post. This has nothing to do with money or where he went.  NYC hit it on the nose when he said, "The problem is he destroyed the game of baseball by demolishing records that were steroid driven; he destoyed integrity and he has acted arrogantly about everything."

Unfortunately for those of us who love and respect the game of baseball, Clemens is allowed to simply walk away and continue his lies and deceit because there are no laws regarding proper conduct within the game of baseball.  As far as I'm concerned this is much like the legal system who, at times, will say, "We know this guy committed Crime "A" (using steroids) and Crime "B" (lying to a Grand Jury) , but since we don't have enough hard evidence to convict him of Crime "A" we'll prosecute him for Crime "B". 

IMO he opitimizes the stereotypical arrogant, conceited athlete and should his high-priced manipulating lawyer fail to get him released I can promise you that I won't for a minute begrudge any of my tax dollars being used to incarcerate him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Clemens is a piece of crap, liar, cheater and thinks he can buy his way out of anything i hope he gets nailed for this

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

It is not just Clemens that angers me but all the people who cheated baseball and the fans.

Maguire had the nerve to seduce the Maris family when he broke Roger Maris's record by inviting them to the event. The Maris family got screwed twice: the first time when Roger got a resentful denial/response from NY media and League Commissioner for breaking Ruth's record in 1961 and secondly when Maguire "broke his record" via steroid ingestion and pretended humbly he did it on his own. In my mind, Bonds, Sosa and Maguire did not legally or ethically break the home run record and Maris still has the rights to it.  

MLB needs to make things right!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's not as much the steroids as it is his narcissism. I'll never forget when he threw that broken bat at Piazza. The guy is a classless human being!

The funniest opart of that play was afterwards. You can clearly read Roger's lips as he yells to the ump, "I thought it was the ball!"

What is this kickball? Where you can throw the ball at the runner to get him out?  

I will credit Roger with one thing: as a Sox fan, I always used to make a bathroom run or kitchen run during the opponent's turn at bat. Once he joined the Sox, I became a pitching watcher and took my braks during our ABs.  (Now, I watch it all with the magic of tape-delay or DVR.)

Sections
Shortcuts