Cliff Lee

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

Cliff Lee

If the Phillies fall out of contention, I think Cliff Lee would be the perfect target for the Red Sox to acquire. He could be the missing piece that could put us over the top, as Doubront has not been getting the job done. Of course, the Phils would have to take on some of his contract, but Lee probably would come at a fairly affordable price. I think a package of Doubront, Ranaudo, Cecchini, and maybe Hazelbaker might work.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Cliff Lee

In response to bgomez's comment:

If the Phillies fall out of contention, I think Cliff Lee would be the perfect target for the Red Sox to acquire. He could be the missing piece that could put us over the top, as Doubront has not been getting the job done. Of course, the Phils would have to take on some of his contract, but Lee probably would come at a fairly affordable price. I think a package of Doubront, Ranaudo, Cecchini, and maybe Hazelbaker might work.

Ranaudo, Cecchini no way...I like Lee, but I also like some prospects more than him. Now, If were talking a young stud, then maybe. To me, thats way too much for what were getting. I dont want Lee for 3 more years and over 80M. We would have to pay for whats left in 2013 (approx 12.5M) 25M in 2014-15 and a vesting 2016 option for 27.5M at 37yrs old. We have a number of pitching prospects that will be making their way to Boston, one being Ranaudo. Pass.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

The Pitching staff is doing well and I don't like mortgaging the future. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

He has an ERA of 6.00 over his last three starts.  Usually the posters in here want to DFA our SPs if they have an ERA of 6.00 for one start.  It's pretty easy to be wrong either way, but when we were discussing the Big Dump last year, they should've been thinking Lee & Howard for the same package we got.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

He has an ERA of 6.00 over his last three starts.  Usually the posters in here want to DFA our SPs if they have an ERA of 6.00 for one start.  It's pretty easy to be wrong either way, but when we were discussing the Big Dump last year, they should've been thinking Lee & Howard for the same package we got.

I was trying to think of how much salary Philly would have to eat for me to do a Lee-Doubront straight up trade. I was leaning toward 35 million until you mentioned that stat. Now it might be 40 million which is about half of what he is owed[83 left guaranteed]. Probably would do that though.

Philly wouldn't do it.......yet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

No way. Too much money, too much time, not enough left in the tank. Pass.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

No way. Too much money, too much time, not enough left in the tank. Pass.

Agree. It might have been an OK deal three years ago but not now. Now, the OP has the Sox overpaying the Phillies and overpaying Lee.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

I was trying to think of how much salary Philly would have to eat for me to do a Lee-Doubront straight up trade. I was leaning toward 35 million until you mentioned that stat. Now it might be 40 million which is about half of what he is owed[83 left guaranteed]. Probably would do that though.

Philly wouldn't do it.......yet.

As I say at work, I'm glad that decision is made at a bigger desk than mine.

On one hand, the right move would've been to dump Halladay/Howard on LA, if they would've taken them.  At that point, they were 'okay' with Howard coming back from injury.

OTOH, Miami, imo, made exactly the correct  BB move and got hammered for it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Because it is completely diffeent when a Sox pitcher has an ERA of 6.00 as opposed to a pitcher on another team doing it.   I am surprised you did not know that...

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Yep, Cliff Lee could be that last missing piece. In case he isn't I heard the Phillies have about 5 other   "missing pieces" to help put us over the top.

The Phils have about five others, although I don't think the Sox would be much interested. The Yankees and O's might be though. Of course injuries to starters could change Ben's thinking.

The Phils have Michael Young, Jimmy Rollins, Chase Utley, Ryan Howard and Roy Halladay all on the wrong side of 30.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya no thanks on cliff lee, if we are going to go after a big name pitcher at the deadline, the guy is david price. with the rays continuing to struggle, the chances of him getting dealt are growing. the sox have the pieces to get a deal done, and if they make the strongest offer, then tampa would likely not hesistate to take it. despite the fact that the sox and rays are in the same division and play eachother alot, the reality is that price would only face the rays maybe a couple of times per year. a rotation of Price, Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Webster looks pretty darn good to me. dempster can go to the pen to make room for webster. he has experience as a closer and could be a valuable asset down the stretch. another option would be to deal lackey, the angels were reportledly interested before the season and could still have interest given the injury to weaver. 

Sections
Shortcuts