Closer from the Sox System? or trade a top prospect for the best closer available.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Closer from the Sox System? or trade a top prospect for the best closer available.

Who's available from the current roster:

Ryan Dempster-was a closer for the Cubs.

Andrew Miller

Andrew Bailey

Ue

Alfredo Aceves---saved 25 games for the Sox in 2012.

Brock Huntzinger currently with the PawSox

Rubby DLR has a good assortment of pitches.

The last two closers for the Cards have been home grown.

BenC it's time to develope a home grown closer. If you like Wilson as a reliever see if he has closer Mentality and groom him for the rest of the season @ AAA.

Closer from outside: Gregg-Cubs, Cook--A's, Holland--Royals, Perkins --Twins, Rodriguez--Brewers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Closer from the Sox System? or trade a top prospect for the best closer available.

If they look outside the system for a RP they shold get the best one available not necessarily the best "closer" available. That being said, K-rod seems like the best option now that Crain went to the DL. depending on how bad millers leg is we might need to trade for 2 RPs.

MASTER OF PUPPETS I'M PULLING YOUR STRINGS!!
    TWISTING YOUR MIND AND SMASHING YOUR DREAMS!!
    BLINDED BY ME YOU CAN'T SEE A THING!!
    JUST CALL MY NAME 'CUZ I'LL HEAR YOU SCREAM!!
    MASTER!! MASTER!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

Re: Closer from the Sox System? or trade a top prospect for the best closer available.

K rod or Axelrod.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

What makes anyone here think that the teams suggested would give up these proposed closers. The A's are in first in the AL West, so why would they give up their closer !!

Just my extremely ignorant, conservatively liberal, all knowing, pervasive, practically meaningless and but extremely intellectual points of view.

Hetch   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

What makes anyone here think that the teams suggested would give up these proposed closers. The A's are in first in the AL West, so why would they give up their closer !!

Just my extremely ignorant, conservatively liberal, all knowing, pervasive, practically meaningless and but extremely intellectual points of view.

Hetch   

THE LOGIIIIC!! IT BUUUUUURRRNNSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Ryan Cook is not the Oakland closer (Grant Balfour is), but I concur that the first-place A's are unlikely to trade a key piece of their bullpen.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to NegativeTrollsAbound's comment:

K rod or Axelrod.

Do you mean Milwaukee reliever John Axford?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

John Axford is about useless IMO. K-Rod might me a nice low cost addition to the pen. Crain could also be Ok after coming off the DL, but a might lower cost due to the shoulder problem. I think if Miller is gone for a while, Drake Britton could have a spot for him in the pen. Good young LHP. I think there are some internal options besides Britton, like RDLR. Wilson reminds me of Bowden, who also had a fairly straight FB.

Although Wilson didnt do very well last night, Snyders throw was the play that kept the Halos in it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I don't know....the red sox seem to be cursed trading for closers and with so much pitching percolating at the top of the system why not test out a few arms that may enevitably move to the bullpen anyways???.

Britton Workman and Rubby De La Rosa come to mind

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I would look to add Axford or Thornton NOW. First, both would be added for absolutely no prospects. Thats because it would be pure salary dumps. Neither will be kept by their respective teams next year. Both make 5+ million. Both have been pitching very well lately, which is always the key thing you want in a reliever. Thornton is a lefty with a lot of late game experience. Axford has experience as a closer. Both pitch in hitters parks. Both are flame throwers who are throwing 95+ NOW. And both would be available NOW, because the sooner they are traded the more the other team saves money. We can always trade for a better reliever down the road, but to get a very good one now we would have to over pay in prospects. Not so with either Axford or Thornton. We might even be able to convince them to eat some of the remaining salary.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I don't know....the red sox seem to be cursed trading for closers and with so much pitching percolating at the top of the system why not test out a few arms that may enevitably move to the bullpen anyways???.

Britton Workman and Rubby De La Rosa come to mind

We need to do this aswell. The earlier we find out which of these guys has the moxy to handle the pressure, the better. But we also need another reliever. We need two guys so we never have to see Alex wilson pitching the 9th in a close game ever again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Seen Gregg just gave up Homer to blown that save. Mo blew one today, take it easy. All Relievers blow saves.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We could trade for one of the best closers in MLB, and if he blew 2 saves, we'd have another thread about getting another closer.

Sox4ever

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Still like that Brian Wilson idea someone said. He's working out now from what I've been reading. Another Local character.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What's Keith Foulke up to these days?

Sox4ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to NegativeTrollsAbound's comment:

K rod or Axelrod.

Do you mean Milwaukee reliever John Ax ford?  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Axford was good for a time in Milwaukee where I reside but this season hasn't been able to do the job. Not sure if Milwaukee would give up K-Rod. The Sox should develope someone within the system. Seems to me I read that last year we had a young kid in the minors who was blowing people aways on Ks but was let go on waivers or was part of a trade. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guess one slight edit to my note above. Axford did lose his job early on here in Milwaukee. He was pretty solid his first two years out here but last year was a disaster and as mentioned he lost his job to K-Rod, but since Mid=May has been very reliable but I'd be leary of him coming from a small market team like the Brewers and handling the pressures of pitching in Fenway. 

If the Sox could get him for short money or a few low end prospects I'd give him a shot in the Bullpen but not as my closer. 

Hetch

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

I would look to add Axford or Thornton NOW. First, both would be added for absolutely no prospects. Thats because it would be pure salary dumps. Neither will be kept by their respective teams next year. Both make 5+ million. Both have been pitching very well lately, which is always the key thing you want in a reliever. Thornton is a lefty with a lot of late game experience. Axford has experience as a closer. Both pitch in hitters parks. Both are flame throwers who are throwing 95+ NOW. And both would be available NOW, because the sooner they are traded the more the other team saves money. We can always trade for a better reliever down the road, but to get a very good one now we would have to over pay in prospects. Not so with either Axford or Thornton. We might even be able to convince them to eat some of the remaining salary.

The White Sox could keep Matt Thornton for a net $5 million by exercising the 2014 club option. John Axford remains under team control through 2016, although the Brewers might not tender Axford a 2014 contract in light of the righthander's 2013 salary of $5 million.

I doubt the White Sox will trade Thornton or the Brewers will trade Axford "for absolutely no prospects" in a "salary dump" of just $2 million or $3 million. Neither the White Sox nor the Brewers are in dire straits financially.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

To say that all closers blow saves is obvious and not a good argument. Hanrahan, Bailey and Uehara have combined for 15 saves , while blowing 10 .  That is not good, no matter how you slice it. We absolutely need improvement in this area. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

The White Sox could keep Matt Thornton for a net $5 million by exercising the 2014 club option. John Axford remains under team control through 2016, although the Brewers might not tender Axford a 2014 contract in light of the righthander's 2013 salary of $5 million.

I doubt the White Sox will trade Thornton or the Brewers will trade Axford "for absolutely no prospects" in a "salary dump" of just $2 million or $3 million. Neither the White Sox nor the Brewers are in dire straits financially.

Just to make things clear, I am interested in these two guys mainly as set up guys. I would stick with Uhe for now and would still lean towards the hope Bailey gets his fast ball back to 96 and he would be a closer option. If both fail I would look towards a better closer option in trade.

As for the salary dump part, why wouldn't the Brewers want to save 2,315,000 dollars for simply losing your number 3 setup guy who you know is leaving anyway? If you owned the Brewers, wouldn't you do that? Why not? I know I would.

And Thornton is owed 2,614,000 dollars and a million dollar buy out on a 6 million dollar deal next year. Six million for a 37 year old so-so setup guy is pretty crazy money. I think they take the buyout.

I don't care whether a team is in financial trouble or not, 2.3 and 3.6 million dollars isn't chump change, even for billionaires. I stand by the thought we might not only get them for a Tony Thomas, but also it makes sense that we could get them to eat a little bit of their contracts aswell. And I think they both would help us now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Closer trivia:

Who was the player that the Sox got back when they traded Closer Lee Smith to the Cardinals?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Closer trivia:

Who was the player that the Sox got back when they traded Closer Lee Smith to the Cardinals? 

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/brunato01.shtml

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

We have the guys in the system, including Bailey and Uehara.  Bailey is pitching better again.  He should work as closer B, used in less close situations to spare Uehara and because he has had success in the past as a closer.  Uehara should be closer A, but should be used a little less than the usual closer owing to his age and physical make-up/stamina.  It really was Wilson who created that jam in the 9th.  Anyway, agree w/ctred that we should find the guys we may need within the system.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Just to make things clear, I am interested in these two guys mainly as set up guys. I would stick with Uhe for now and would still lean towards the hope Bailey gets his fast ball back to 96 and he would be a closer option. If both fail I would look towards a better closer option in trade. 

As for the salary dump part, why wouldn't the Brewers want to save 2,315,000 dollars for simply losing your number 3 setup guy who you know is leaving anyway? If you owned the Brewers, wouldn't you do that? Why not? I know I would.

And Thornton is owed 2,614,000 dollars and a million dollar buy out on a 6 million dollar deal next year. Six million for a 37 year old so-so setup guy is pretty crazy money. I think they take the buyout.

I don't care whether a team is in financial trouble or not, 2.3 and 3.6 million dollars isn't chump change, even for billionaires. I stand by the thought we might not only get them for a Tony Thomas, but also it makes sense that we could get them to eat a little bit of their contracts aswell. And I think they both would help us now.

If the White Sox choose to trade Matt Thornton or the Brewers choose to trade John Axford, each team will take the best offer, which almost certainly will be more than "absolutely no prospects at all." Neither team is in the business of giving away assets.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Get a solid right handed third baseman who can hit for some power and maybe a SP and forget about a closer.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

We have the guys in the system, including Bailey and Uehara.  Bailey is pitching better again.  He should work as closer B, used in less close situations to spare Uehara and because he has had success in the past as a closer.  Uehara should be closer A, but should be used a little less than the usual closer owing to his age and physical make-up/stamina.  It really was Wilson who created that jam in the 9th.  Anyway, agree w/ctred that we should find the guys we may need within the system.

True. It was Wilson who created the mess. Farrell probably stuck with him at least one batter too long , in an effort to rest the top guys.  Still , Uehara entered with two outs and the tying run at the plate. Forget the base runners. All he had to do was get one out.  He failed to do it. Obviously , Snyder was the ultimate goat, but Uehara did not get it done. 

Sections
Shortcuts