Closer from the Sox System? or trade a top prospect for the best closer available.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Closer from the Sox System? or trade a top prospect for the best closer available.

In response to hill55's comment:

If the White Sox choose to trade Matt Thornton or the Brewers choose to trade John Axford, each team will take the best offer, which almost certainly will be more than "absolutely no prospects at all." Neither team is in the business of giving away assets.

The Red Sox did quite well in acquiring lefthander Matt Thornton for the modest price of 22-year-old outfield prospect Brandon Jacobs, whose stock had fallen since being ranked as high as eighth in the Red Sox system by SoxProspects. The White Sox contribution to Thornton's salary was a bonus.

I give the Red Sox trade at least an 8 on a scale of 10.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Closer from the Sox System? or trade a top prospect for the best closer available.

I thought this might be worth resurrecting going back to last summer---there were some great comments about who we should have close games---this was before Ue became the closer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd like to see us sign Mujica as a set-up man and back-up closer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

With the 29th pick the Boston Red Sox select, Kodi Medeiros.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With the 29th pick the Boston Red Sox select, Kodi Medeiros.

[/QUOTE]

We should end up with pick 21-25, after all the picks get taken away from teams signing QO free agents.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

To say that all closers blow saves is obvious and not a good argument. Hanrahan, Bailey and Uehara have combined for 15 saves , while blowing 10 .  That is not good, no matter how you slice it. We absolutely need improvement in this area. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

edit deleted. I didn't realize this post was old.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

[QUOTE]

To say that all closers blow saves is obvious and not a good argument. Hanrahan, Bailey and Uehara have combined for 15 saves , while blowing 10 .  That is not good, no matter how you slice it. We absolutely need improvement in this area. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

edit deleted. I didn't realize this post was old.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Things changed dramatically.  We got more improvement than we ever could have imagined. No Koji = No parade. Don't know why this thread has been revived.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know....the red sox seem to be cursed trading for closers and with so much pitching percolating at the top of the system why not test out a few arms that may enevitably move to the bullpen anyways???.

Britton Workman and Rubby De La Rosa come to mind

[/QUOTE]

Rubby definitely looks like he has closer stuff.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Give that fellow from Japan a chance , you might be surprised at what he will/did do !!!!

[/QUOTE]

Bill, 

You wanna bring back Dice-K to close ??@#$%$^*()&*$%#!#@!@*&(_++^&*#$%

Hope you and Dad had a great Thanksgiving. 

Hetchless

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Why was this post brought back ? It's so old I can't remember commenting on it. And we don't need a closer. We've got Koji who despite some wondering if he'd break down last year from over use, never did. Only question is can he repeat something close to his 2013 season ? My only thought would be the Koji will be I believe 39 years old next season so don't go out and trade for another closer, groom someone from within the system. Drake Britton and others. The Sox certainly aren't short of prospects they could bring along, maybe throw into the closer role occasionally during the long season to spell Koji so he isn't over used and see if the can handle the added pressure of closing. 

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving !!

Hetch

12. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts