Closer Tryouts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Re: Closer Tryouts

Aceves?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Let the tryouts begin.   Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

The problem with Bailey is that he is a high fastball pitcher who realies on velocity and jump to get guys out. And he has lost atleast 2 mph on his fast ball since the first part of the season pre-injury. And the trend line is getting worse.

Until he gets his velocity back, the end game must come from somebody else. I would take ANY pitcher on the team to try that role. Tazawa is my preffered choice but he failed earlier in the season when he had better stuff. We have a lot of fragile makeups in our pen. I don't think Miller can do it. And Uehara hates the role I think. But for now, its somebody elses turn.

Taz

Brez

Uehy

Anybody

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

The problem with Bailey is that he is a high fastball pitcher who realies on velocity and jump to get guys out. And he has lost atleast 2 mph on his fast ball since the first part of the season pre-injury. And the trend line is getting worse.

Until he gets his velocity back, the end game must come from somebody else. I would take ANY pitcher on the team to try that role. Tazawa is my preffered choice but he failed earlier in the season when he had better stuff. We have a lot of fragile makeups in our pen. I don't think Miller can do it. And Uehara hates the role I think. But for now, its somebody elses turn.

Taz

Brez

Uehy

Anybody

It can be situational matters for now like who has a fresh arm, who matches up best against the part of the order due up, etc., etc.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wvwc61. Show wvwc61's posts

Miller has been better since they did away with his leg kick and replaced it with a side step. He has more strike outs and less walks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

I want to see what Miller can do.  He has lights out stuff, and that's what a closer needs.  To those who says he walks too many, keep in mind that he's averaging about 14.9 K's per nine innings as compared to 4.8 BB's per nine, a SO/BB ratio of 3.07.  That's not too shabby.  By comparison, Pap's numbers for 2009 and 2010 were 3.17 and 2.71 respectively.  And while lefty closers are rare, that doesn't mean they can't do the job.  Billy Wagner was one of the game's best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xGUBMmmQWM

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

I'd throw Lester into the mix. Let's face it; he's not a top 2 starter any more. Yeah, I'm half-serious. Closer by committee won't be any more effective. We are getting short in the pen as it is.

Sections
Shortcuts