Club source confirms Ken Rosenthal report on Jon Lester. Only offer from Red Sox: four years, $70M

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Club source confirms Ken Rosenthal report on Jon Lester. Only offer from Red Sox: four years, $70M

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

almost all of the GMs on board here were wrong about Ellsbury - they thought he wasnt worth re-signing and that he would settle for much less than he wanted

i still dont get it...we have players that help us win championships and then we cast them aside for second hand parts....were going to become the Pittsburgh Red Sox   a AAA affiliate of the Yanks & Dodgers

why wouldnt you want to resign Lester? smh

[/QUOTE]

Saying the Ellsbury is worth $155M after he's completed ~ 1% is silly.  Most free agents look good for a week here and there.

IRT Lester, I'd give him the $100M/5, but I have no idea what the condition of his arm is.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Club source confirms Ken Rosenthal report on Jon Lester. Only offer from Red Sox: four years, $70M

In response to raydaz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Red Sox management kills me.  They have no problem overpaying free agents to come to Boston (Gonzalez, Crawford, Lackey, Victorino, Napoli, J.D. Drew etc.).  However, when it comes to keeping their own they typically lowball or make no offer (Martinez, Ellsbury, Papelbon).  We know what the going rate is for aces and near aces.  $70 million over 4 years is not it.  I do not want the Sox to be the farm team for the Yankees!

[/QUOTE]

Oddly enough, you mentioned 6 guys we 'overpaid' for, and 4 of the guys have played well.

And you mentioned 3 guys we let go, and two of them we were absolutely correct on, and the 3rd is too early to tell.

Your argument here supports the FO almost 100%.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

almost all of the GMs on board here were wrong about Ellsbury - they thought he wasnt worth re-signing and that he would settle for much less than he wanted

i still dont get it...we have players that help us win championships and then we cast them aside for second hand parts....were going to become the Pittsburgh Red Sox   a AAA affiliate of the Yanks & Dodgers

[/QUOTE]

Saying the Ellsbury is worth $155M after he's completed ~ 1% is silly.  Most free agents look good for a week here and there.

IRT Lester, I'd give him the $100M/5, but I have no idea what the condition of his arm is.

[/QUOTE]

to assume that a player will fail after they have a long history of success and victory is presumptious...unless the player is injured or injury-prone...is Ells delicate? Yes, did it prevent him from being great, no. Lester is a bull-moose - this is a no brainer....plus Ells plays center field, not exactly a wear-tear position and he remains in great shape...i wouldve resigned him but i can understand the skepticism......but Lester at 30???

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Georom, you are mostly right.  The Sox definitely need to hang onto Lester, easily their best starter and in the top three of their best players.  $70 million almost certainly undervalues a guy who was so great in the postseason last year and for years before that.  However, $70 million is also an awful lot of money, especially for a guy who likes Boston.  It's under the market, yes, but not way under. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Georom, you are mostly right.  The Sox definitely need to hang onto Lester, easily their best starter and in the top three of their best players.  $70 million almost certainly undervalues a guy who was so great in the postseason last year and for years before that.  However, $70 million is also an awful lot of money, especially for a guy who likes Boston.  It's under the market, yes, but not way under. 

let's put it this way - if the sox  believe that Lester, given his age, health, and record are risky, what does this say about the future of this organization? Overpaying for vets on the downside for two-three years hoping we can squeeze value out of them? Doesnt sound like a good plan unless you have absolute studs coming from the farm system and who can honestly rely on that? Even if we have a good system. Then when they reach free agency, we let them go? Sounds like Wal-Mart of baseball. Profit over everything. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

all i know that ells was a huge part of two championships which is why i wanted him, and papi re upped....as sox fans we can count on one hand players like ells who stole bases, covered miles of outfield, and could hit for power at the leadoff position...where is the love??? lol  i miss that guy 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Yankees probably wouldn't mind having a sturdy, AL East-tested lefty like Lester in their rotation.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Yankees probably wouldn't mind having a sturdy, AL East-tested lefty like Lester in their rotation.

[/QUOTE]

yes I have been waiting to hear what randy thinks ;-)

The Yankees have been fined by Major League Baseball for tampering due to comments made by team president Randy Levine in regards to Mike Trout, The Los Angeles Times' Bill Shaikin reports.  The amount of the fine isn't known.  Levine cited Trout last December when discussing why the Yankees didn't match the Mariners' 10-year contract offer for Robinson Cano, saying "If it was Mike Trout, I’d offer him a 10-year contract, but for people over 30, I don’t believe it makes sense.”  The Angels took exception to Levine's comments and asked the Commissioner's office to investigate the matter.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The team made its first offer to Lester. Usually they start low. Lester deserves and will receive an offer of $100Mx5, and he will likely accept it. I expect it will get done after the season is over.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Based on the market, the starting offer should have been 5/$100M.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not a fan of huge contracts, but I agree that the Sox should offer 5 years in the $18-20 mil per year range, based on what comparable and even lesser pitchers are getting.  By all accounts, Lester likes pitching in Boston, has a good, trusting relationship with Farrell, and he can handle the pressure of Boston and the AL East. 

Thankfully, Lester does not seem to feel disrespected by the offer at this point - he understands the nature of the business.   I remain hopeful that the two sides will come to an agreement.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

[QUOTE]

Smart baseball says......... "let him walk" !!!  This idea of paying a player in the "twilight" is destructive to the game & franchise !!!

You really have zero baseball intellect, or are just a troll...im guessing the latter For obvious reasons.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe Bill's delivery is not as smooth as Lester's but he maybe aligned to what the sox are going to do.  Personally I would love to see Lester here for the duration of his career.  I think the fact that he has proven he can play in fenway gives him the edge on the bargaining table. But recent history of the sox dishing off long term contracts to LA and not signing Jacoby, indicate that they might not give in to Lester's demands.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not a fan of huge contracts, but I agree that the Sox should offer 5 years in the $18-20 mil per year range, based on what comparable and even lesser pitchers are getting.  By all accounts, Lester likes pitching in Boston, has a good, trusting relationship with Farrell, and he can handle the pressure of Boston and the AL East. 

Thankfully, Lester does not seem to feel disrespected by the offer at this point - he understands the nature of the business.   I remain hopeful that the two sides will come to an agreement.

[/QUOTE]

Kimmi

He'll look great in pinstripes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

to assume that a player will fail after they have a long history of success and victory is presumptious...unless the player is injured or injury-prone...is Ells delicate? Yes, did it prevent him from being great, no. Lester is a bull-moose - this is a no brainer....plus Ells plays center field, not exactly a wear-tear position and he remains in great shape...i wouldve resigned him but i can understand the skepticism......but Lester at 30???

[/QUOTE]

It's not an assumption that he will eventually fail, it is a guarantee.  The question is when.  He'll be 36 when the contract ends.

And while I think he's in good shape, how many fulltime CFs were 33 or older last year?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Kimmi

[/QUOTE]

I think Dad and Bill will agree.  Personally I hope he goes to another team that we don't play as much. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

all i know that ells was a huge part of two championships which is why i wanted him, and papi re upped....as sox fans we can count on one hand players like ells who stole bases, covered miles of outfield, and could hit for power at the leadoff position...where is the love??? lol  i miss that guy 

Yuip, I miss Crisp also.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

Kimmi

[/QUOTE]

Don't even think about it TWM! 

IMO, if he hits FA, he's as good as gone.  There will be other teams that will offer something crazy that the Sox will not match.  The Sox have to secure him before he is allowed to negotiate with other teams.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

Kimmi

Don't even think about it TWM! 

IMO, if he hits FA, he's as good as gone.  There will be other teams that will offer something crazy that the Sox will not match.  The Sox have to secure him before he is allowed to negotiate with other teams.

[/QUOTE]

I just like to tease you know that by now.

But I agree if he tests the market he'll get whatever he asks for because there will be numerous teams in the bidding.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

Yuip, I miss Crisp also.

[/QUOTE]

I would have liked to have seen Jacoby back here.  I agree with all you said about him.  I was never a Crisp fan.  jacoby's talents made up for his bad arm, crisp'did not have enough talent to do the same.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from raydaz. Show raydaz's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Lester hits the market he will probably get between 125 and 150 million.  The price of good free agent pitching is already astronomical and going up by the day.  Scherzer turned down 144 million from the Tigers already.

[/QUOTE]

correct -im the first one to belly ache about mlb salaries but this is the market - it is insane and lester's offer was an insult in mlb terms

[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely correct.  If the Red Sox offered Lester 5 years at $100 million today he would likely jump at it.  If they wait until early November, he may not accept it, since two weeks later the Yankees will offer him six years for $150 million.  I do not understand Red Sox management.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from raydaz. Show raydaz's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to raydaz's comment:

[QUOTE]

Red Sox management kills me.  They have no problem overpaying free agents to come to Boston (Gonzalez, Crawford, Lackey, Victorino, Napoli, J.D. Drew etc.).  However, when it comes to keeping their own they typically lowball or make no offer (Martinez, Ellsbury, Papelbon).  We know what the going rate is for aces and near aces.  $70 million over 4 years is not it.  I do not want the Sox to be the farm team for the Yankees!

[/QUOTE]

Three WS titles in a decade..not bad for a farm team...FYI Gonzalez was acquired in a trade with the Padres, then signed to an extension. Gonzalez was the key player in the trade with the Dodgers, which a enabled the Sox to insist on the Dodgers taking on both Beckett and Crawfords contracts. A trade that in hidsight was the catalyst for the rebuilding of a team that had lost it's way.

Lackey, Drew, Victorino and Napoli all played key roles in helping the Sox to win WS rings....

Pedro turned down a very good three year offer from the Sox and was overpaid by the Mets Who added another year with an option...The Sox let him walk and took the draft compensation. The Mets got a couple of decent years of solid # 3 starter production...End of the day Martinez still saw himself as one of the best in the game. The reality is that due to his rotar cuff had become a 90 pitch 6 inning guy who relied on his moixy....That said, Pedro will one day have his number retired but frankly I think the Sox grew tired of his diva act...I know I did...

Papelbon & Ellsbury both through their agents, made it known early in their careers that they were going to market. The Sox made both very compelling contract extensions similar to the deals offered to Lester, Pedrioa which have become SOP in baseball to buyout a coupe of years of prime free agency and in each case. They turned down every offer..End of the Papelbon was overpaid and i find it interesting that the Phillies have been trying to trade him almost from the day he signed. Ellsbury signed a huge deal with the Yankess, one that only time will tell if over the life of the deal he can stay on the field and produce. In both instances the Sox made offers. The reality is they were fine with allowing both to move on and like Martinez, reap the benefit of the draft compensation and better use the money's to field a deep team capable of competing for championships...Pedro left the won in it 2007... Papelbon left the Sox won it in 2013. Ellsbury now a yank, time will tell if and when we hoist the next flag. Recent history suggest that the Sox ownership and baseball operations team understand how to build a championship team...the one thing that 2004, 2007 & 2013 have in common is the name on the front of the jersey.

[/QUOTE]

So based on other players comps and Lester's career you believe this is a fair offer?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Smart baseball says......... "let him walk" !!!  This idea of paying a player in the "twilight" is destructive to the game & franchise !!!

[/QUOTE]

Bill, 

The only one in twilight here is you, the Twilight Zone. Lester just turned 30 this year. That's far from his twilight years. 

Hetch

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Geo, 

Glad to see we're on the same page. Letting Ells walk was a huge mistake. Haters and other still bring up the idiocy of his being injury prone which he never was !!

Hetch

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

@NickCafardo has an interesting article on the subject.  "Red Sox have their share of issues".

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yuip, I miss Crisp also.

[/QUOTE]

I would have liked to have seen Jacoby back here.  I agree with all you said about him.  I was never a Crisp fan.  jacoby's talents made up for his bad arm, crisp'did not have enough talent to do the same.

[/QUOTE]

It's probably a lot closer than folks think it is.

• .298/.352/.439/.790 OPS+ 108 247/47 SB/CS
    • .272/.330/.411/.742 OPS+ 99   280/69 SB/CS

108+ v 99+ is fairly close, and imho, Crisp is a marginally better fielder.  Ellsbury is better, but Crisp is underrated.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Jeff Passan      

Club source confirms Ken Rosenthal report on Jon Lester. Only offer from Red Sox: four years, $70M. Lester playing good soldier publicly.

I would offer Jon 5 at 90/95mil with an optional 6th year team option plus incentives each season.  Even though he has had his ups and downs in the PS he has been great.

.211 ERA with 1.04 WHIP isn't too shabby

Sections
Shortcuts