Clubhouse Problems with Ellsbury and the OF? I think so

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Re: Clubhouse Problems with Ellsbury and the OF? I think so

POWER AND SPEED MAKES BORA$ A HAPPY MAN...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

In Response to Re: Clubhouse Problems with Ellsbury and the OF? I think so:
    [QUOTE]I've watched, live, when Ellsbury hit 2 out of 4 of his HRs (the most recent 2). To be honest, I think anyone in MLB should've hit those 2 pitches for HRs. But he put a nice swing on both of them and made them pay. In essence, he did what he was supposed to do. I can't fault Ellsbury for doing that. I'm one of the people on here that wants him to bunt more... a lot more. That said, I think showing a little power would help his ABs so he doesn't seem too one- dimensional, or too predictable at the plate.   Seriously, some of the posters on here can't seem to distinguish between the good things and the bad things anymore. It's a HOMERUN people! Pop a Beer. Shut the f*ck up.
    Posted by emp9[/QUOTE]

Good point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

BaseballGM: "good defender who can hit LH pitching fair to midland".

The phrase is actually "fair to middling" and some people leave off the final D when pronouncing it, so it sounds like "fair to middlin'".

One example in the Oxford English Dictionary is from Artemus Ward: His Travels of 1865: "The men are fair to middling".

Another is from Horace Greeley's Recollections of a Busy Life of 1869 in which he records seeing a play: "The night was intensely cold, in-doors as well as out; the
    house was thin; the playing from fair to middling; yet I was in raptures from first to last".

And from an article with the title A Succinct Account of the Sandwich Islands, in the July 1837 issue of the Southern Literary Messenger of Richmond, Virginia: "A Dinner on the Plains, Tuesday, September 20th. - This was given 'at the country seat' of J. C. Jones, Esq. to the officers of the Peacock and Enterprise. The viands were 'from fair to middling, we wish we could say more.' "

But where does the phrase come from? There's a clue in one of the OED's later citations, from the Century Dictionary of 1889: "Fair to middling, moderately good: a term designating a specific grade of quality in the market".

The term middling is used for an intermediate grade of various kinds of goods, both in the US and in Britain - there are references to a middling grade of flour or meal, pins, cotton, and other commodities throughout the 1800's.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Midland is the middle of the land, just to inform Dustcover/Pike.

I've never said that a CF'er needs to hit 20 homers, it's about the defense and OBP. Obviously, I'm not "softy", and you aren't Earl Weaver.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Another boo boo for Ellsbury

BA .182  OBP .262

No reason to give up on him. Just because he's going to fall short of being the next Willie Wilson or Ted Williams, no reason to think other NL GM's wouldn't love to have this contract seeker.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Wow!  That is incisive analysis.

There has been a total dackhead here for the past few years that was constantly banned....dozens of times.  "Softlaw" was its root handle.  He/she/it often denied that it was banned....my favourite was when it claimed it was on holiday in Italy and had forgotten its password.  What a dackhead!  Either it was on holiday in Italy and logging on to a baseball website instead of enjoying itself, or had made up a pathetic excuse for being banned for the umpteenth time.  I pitied it.

Interestingly, that awful "Softlaw" person was very anti- several Sox players, particularly Jacoby Ellsbury.  Whereas you, a moderate and apparently upstanding person, "think Ellsbury....is a clubhouse problem that has carried over from last year" and "think he and his agent are not following management approaches to on the field and off the field issues".

Interestingly, I've not heard/thought/read such things before.  Can you provide any links to other people that hold such views?  I'm sure you can, otherwise you'd just appear to be the sort of dackhead "Softlaw" is/was.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dangerfeld. Show Dangerfeld's posts

Sonics, if you read all of the threads in recent weeks then you would be aware that the consensus is that BaseballGM is Softlaw. Those who know Softlaw the best over the years confirm this. Don't let the Pretender Softlaw / Baseball pull the wool over your eyes. He is the ultimate narcissist troll.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]Sonics, if you read all of the threads in recent weeks then you would be aware that the consensus is that BaseballGM is Softlaw. Those who know Softlaw the best over the years confirm this. Don't let the Pretender Softlaw / Baseball pull the wool over your eyes. He is the ultimate narcissist troll.
    Posted by Dangerfeld[/QUOTE]

No!  Incredible!  How could I have missed that!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dangerfeld. Show Dangerfeld's posts

If your reply is sarcastic then you are the fool or the bait in taking him seriously. Why get mad over someone who doesn't take himself seriously or subscribe to what he posts here. Anyone who believes him has more problems than he does. One might as well debate Ellsbury's skills with their dog or the stone fence in the backyard.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]If your reply is sarcastic then you are the fool or the bait in taking him seriously. Why get mad over someone who doesn't take himself seriously or subscribe to what he posts here. Anyone who believes him has more problems than he does. One might as well debate Ellsbury's skills with their dog or the stone fence in the backyard.
    Posted by Dangerfeld[/QUOTE]

You seem angry, not my intention.  I thought it was obvious my post was sarcastic...and baiting the homophobic, racist fantasist.  I'm not mad at all, I was just having a laugh.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

osted at 4/21/2011 7:16 PM EDT

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=8cd5daa42655d0c359b90ec0ec611190&plckUserId=8cd5daa42655d0c359b90ec0ec611190">
    First: 3/25/2011
    Last: 4/21/2011
    Wow!  That is incisive analysis.

There has been a total dackhead here for the past few years that was constantly banned....dozens of times

Since you have been here for less than a month, lying must be competing with your own mental deficiency.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Interestingly, I've not heard/thought/read such things before.  Can you provide any links to other people that hold such views?

I think Peter Gammons and Tito have stated that he isn't following management's approach. To be able to read, one has to have a basic level of intelligence. I recommend you return and finish the 4th grade.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

SonicsMonks why not tell us your other avatars so we can assess you as a poster?  Your accusations a far more offensive than the poster your presently baiting.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dangerfeld. Show Dangerfeld's posts

Softlaw:
    I think Peter Gammons and Tito have stated that he isn't following management's approach. To be able to read, one has to have a basic level of intelligence. I recommend you return and finish the 4th grade.

What you think is not worth a pizzhole in a snowbank when nobody else has heard such nonsense. Please provide the link as you were asked to do. Burrito believes you because he just loves the entertainment of seeing your act. Your credibility  is almost zero. I don't expect you to provide the link since you are the Great Pretender.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Just another person who comes here with one goal - to attack someone - you are intentionally trying to provoke and that makes you the person in the wrong.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Jacoby Ellsbury to swing away

Sox now OK with aggressive approach

By Scott Lauber
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 -
    EmailE-mail   PrintablePrint   Comments(1) Comments   LargerSmallerText size  www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=20">Bookmark and Share Share  

FORT MYERS — For seven weeks in 2009, the Red Sox [team stats] removed Jacoby Ellsbury [stats] from the leadoff spot because they felt he wasn’t reaching base often enough. Now, armed with arguably the league’s most potent offense, manager Terry Francona believes the lineup is best with Ellsbury at the top.

But here’s the irony: In two years, Ellsbury’s approach to hitting hasn’t changed much.

The article you requested has been archived

All coverage within BostonHerald.com from the last 7 days remains free of charge. Articles do not always include original photos, charts or graphics.
    » Click here to search for this article within the archive
    slauber@bostonherald.com

Related Articles

A’s fall victim to Jed Lowrie’s reign of terror

A’s fall victim to Jed Lowrie’s reign of terror OAKLAND, Calif. — Jed Lowrie is no longer satisfied with owning big league...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]osted at 4/21/2011 7:16 PM EDT   SonicsMonksLyresVicars Posts: 18 First: 3/25/2011 Last: 4/21/2011 Wow!  That is incisive analysis. There has been a total dackhead here for the past few years that was constantly banned....dozens of times Since you have been here for less than a month, lying must be competing with your own mental deficiency.
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

Lying?  Me?  What lies?  Please give specific examples.  And why are you assuming that I think you are the horrible, boastful, misogynistic, racist, homophobic "Softlaw" poster? That guy's a total idiot....remember his posts about his gold hoard, his high powered job....the "top university" his children attended that turned out to be a (southern) state uni (har har).  The guy was a laughing stock, a total joke.

And as for being a member for only a month - as if that matters - and how would I know about the idiot Softlaw if that were true - I was asked to re-register recently and decided to change my name from Chilliwings to a composite of my favourite bands.

So while you are new to me, I have a long, disgusted memory of that abusive, evil idiot "Softlaw".  But you're not him/her/it so I can't see how my view of that idiot would affect you.

You have clearly stated that you are not that grotesque, hateful ratbag, so why are you being defensive about it?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]SonicsMonks why not tell us your other avatars so we can assess you as a poster?  Your accusations a far more offensive than the poster your presently baiting.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Burrito,

I've just seen this post of yours....I've made no secret that I changed my screen name from Chilliwings recently.  What accusations of mine have been offensive?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

...and for the record, I was demonstrably not insulting "BaseballGM".  It is the absurd, injunction-wielding Neanderthalian "Softlaw" idiot I was referring to...but as BaseballGM is a totally different person I can't understand why he/she/it would take offence.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Gammons, NESN

Tito @ www.redsox.com

There is your link, and if I"m softlaw you are Slav. I go to a lot of message boards, and a typical ploy is to call someone another poster to defelct the narrative.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Gammons, NESN Tito @ www.redsox.com There is your link, and if I"m softlaw you are Slav. I go to a lot of message boards, and a typical ploy is to call someone another poster to defelct the narrative.
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

Does it really matter if you are really Softlaw?  It's the internet.  If you write the identical thing as Softlaw, then, for all practical purposes, you are Softlaw.

BTW, care to speculate as to why Softlaw disappeared and never returned to admit he was wrong about Lowrie?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Careful. He may "defelct" that question.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Joe, how high are you on Lowrie? Were you impressed with his 1-5, today? If he could just get all LHP, he'd be a potential everday career player.

Do you see him as an AS?

Do you see him as a career starting SS?

Do you see him as a career starting 3B?

I see him as a 2B who might start a few years but who will spend most of his career as UIF'er.

How many career homers does Lowrie have?

How many career homers does Lowrie have against RHP?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Chilli?  Ah yes I guess I cannot assess you, as I never read one of your threads before - 

Just unsure why people continually dredge up old names and make noise about them - if they are gone why talk about them anymore.

Sections
Shortcuts