Clutch

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Clutch

Grodin carried an absolute believable sincerity in why he would dump his new bride for the blonde on a pedestal. The Stiller version was terrible and one thing it did was make his bride way too beautiful to break up with. In the original, there is a distinct difference in the appearance of his bride and the new love interest, as well as from a personality difference. Also, the original made the Father (Albert) Grodin's adversary, which made for great comedy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

In Response to Re: Clutch:
    In Response to Re: Clutch : Who's dat blonde?
    Posted by harness

Grodin's head looks like a chia pet.  What hair!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Rays chose a different path. They cleaned cellars for years and years, alienating their fan-base and giving them no hope. When ya get the top 45 of 100 of the nations draft picks, it's not hard to finally field a winner. So, instead of a large payroll, they have a poor fan base. And when their players get close to leaving, they are traded or the Rays take the picks.

There aren't many expansion teams that make it to the playoffs quickly. There certainly are some, but my guess is they are more of the exception to the rule. TB was horrible for 10 years. That is not good for building a fan base, I agree. However, I do not think it was totally management's fault. The Florida market is full of fans already loyal to other teams as transplants from other regions of the nation. They also have more than their fair share of senior citizens, and people who are more into football, NASCAR, and other sports than baseball. The stadium is a joke. Maybe management could have tried to get another stadium built or moved the team to a better baseball area (like NC), so I guess they could be blamed for that, but I feel that even if the Rays had become winners faster, their fanbase would not be much better. The Rays have been a very good team for 4 straight years. They went up about 400,000 from 2007 to 2008, but have leveled off. They have been about 12th to 13th every year since in attendance. They can't even sell out some playoff games! The old management team did try and make some FA splashes and failed miserbly. (Greg Vaughn was a disaster.) There is no doubt, the team is successful in large part due to the top picks they got for years and years. I'm not sure where the 45 out of the top 100 number comes from, but they did get a lot of top 3 picks for years, and made good use of most of them (unlike many consistent lsoing teams).

The team changed management in 2006, and the new management team made some crucial changes in their scouting and development areas, as well as philosophical approaches to trades and free agents. On the surface, they appear to trade their good players no matter if they are in a race or not (Kazmir). They let good FAs walk rather than pay top dollar to keep them. Last year, they broke records for comp picks due to lost FAs, but not so amazingly to me, they stayed competitive due to comp picks and trades of top players from years before taking those departing players places. In the process, they have restocked their system to fill future departing player's slots as well...and then some. To me, this team's mid to long term outlook looks brighter than the present. Maybe the fans are tired of saying "wait till next year" as Sox fans were for decades and decades, but it is not encouraging to not see any attendance growth for 3 straight years! There just isn't that much more revenue to be had in that market. As long as they stay in TB, they will always be limited by money and payroll, unless their owner decides that winning is more important than making money. I don't blame any owner for not looking to make money first.

Boston/NY have to sustain their fan base by competing every year. They haveto spend. The Rays have no such fan-base, so they can't spend.

You are right. They could win 3 WS in a row, and probably wouldn't crack 2,000,000 in attendance or see a big rise in TV market share.

And while NY/Boston continue to field winners, the Rays will eventually revert to lower status when their farm isn't as productive. This won't happen anytime soon, but it will happen. They won't get the the high number of picks as they continue to compete.

The exact opposite has happened, in terms of quantity of picks (not quality, as in top 5-10 picks overall). By losing multiple players to free agency, they just stockpiled an already full minor league system and barely lost any competitive edge on the big club.

Let's look at a few areas:

1) They only had to pay Manny $87,000. I do not think they are in salary dump mode this winter.

2) Free agents to be:
      2011- Damon (their highest paid player at $5.25M), Peralta, Juan Cruz, and Kotchman
      2012- BJ Upton and JP Howell. (Option years for Shields, Farns. & Shoppach)
      These are not even close to what they have lost recently.

3) They have lots of arb raises coming up, but not any huge contractual raises coming up. The biggest raise goes to Longoria ($2.5M to $4.5M then $6M in 2013)

4) I don't see TB trading Shields like they did Garza, but it could happen next year or next winter since he has a $13M 2013 option. They could deal Upton this winter, but I don't see that as a big loss. They still have Jennings, Joyce and Fuld plus upcoming prospects.

5) Most core players are locked up for several years ay relatively low cost:
    Zobrist: 12:$4.5M, 13:$5.5M, 14:$7M club option ($2.5M buyout), 15:$7.5M club option ($0.5M buyout)
    Longoria: 12:$4.5M, 13:$6M, 14:$7.5M club option ($3M buyout), 15:$11M club option, 16:$11.5M club option
    Price: 12:$1.5M then 3 arb years
    Davis: 12:$1.5M, 13:$2.8M, 14:$4.8M, 15:$7M club option, 16:$8M club option, 17:$10M club option ($2.5M buyout)
    Niemann: $903K then 3 arb years.
    The rest are all not even at arb level.
    2012 Team:
    C: Jaso (27) / Shoppach (31) / Chirinos (27)/Lobaton
    1B: ??? (Leslie Anderson)
    2B: Zobrist (30) / Olmedo
    3B: Longoria (25) ? Mayora
    SS: Rodriguez (26)/ Brignac (25)/ E. Johnson (27) /Beckman
        (Hak-Ju Lee is a highly regarded prospect at SS)
    LF: Jennings (24)/ Fuld (29)
    CF: Upton (26) /Brandon Guyer (25)
    RF: Joyce (26) /Ruggiano, Canzler, Carson, Shelby 
    DH: ???
    (Perhaps the easiest 2 positions to fill in MLB are 1B and DH)

S1) Shields (29)  1 year, then $13M option for 2013
    S2) Price  (25)  4 more years of control at low cost
    S3) Hellickson (24) 5 more years of control at low cost
    S4) WDavis  (25) 4 more years at relatively low cost
    S5) Niemann (28) 3 more arb years
    S6) A Cobb (23) 5 more years of control
    S7) Sonnanstine (28) 2 more arb years
    S8) Matt Moore ( ) 6 years of control
    S9) Chris Archer
    Others: Paduch, Torra, Dyer, Colome, Barnese, Lobstein, Baker

This is the "meat" of this team and they will be strong for years to come. They also drafted soem pitchers this year high in the draft, so they will not get any weaker for many years to come on this front.

The pen, as with most teams, is sketchy going forward, but TB seems to do well finding gems for cheap: Sorianno in 2010 and Farnsworth in 2011.
    They do have:
    Cesar Ramos (27)
    Adam Russell (28)
    Brandon Gomes (26)
    Jake McGee (24)
    Rob Delaney (26)
    Jay Buente (27)
    Alex Torres (23)
    Mike Ekstrom (27)
    All have MLB time this year.

TB is not going away over the next few years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

DeNiro is always great.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

They won in spite of Varitek. Ortiz hit was clutch. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

interestingly, a clutch performance from wakefield tomorrow, will show all his bashers why he's on the team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

TO POSTER SINDARIN: I was hoping for the same thing, but
    a funny thing happened Saturday afternoon. I went to take
    a nap with the Jays leading 6-1 going into the 6th inning.
    Judging from the way they have been playing, I said to
    myself, there's no way Farrell lets them blow a big lead !
    WRONG !!! The Yanks scored 6 and won. So then, I felt
    Lester would prove his worth ! WRONG AGAIN. He came
    up small, as he has done a lot lately, and now we have
    the Rays breathing down our necks with Wake to hold them
    off. Tough order for a 44 yr. old knuckleballer to hold off the
    young and well coached Rays. We are up against it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Clutch : do yourself a favor and rent it. Cybil Shepherd is the woman of interest btw.
    Posted by dannycater

I thought that looked like her, but my memory threw me off.
    Couldn't place the name.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

The Rays chose a different path. They cleaned cellars for years and years, alienating their fan-base and giving them no hope. When ya get the top 45 of 100 of the nations draft picks, it's not hard to finally field a winner. So, instead of a large payroll, they have a poor fan base. And when their players get close to leaving, they are traded or the Rays take the picks. There aren't many expansion teams that make it to the playoffs quickly.There certainly are some, but my guess is they are more of the exception to the rule. TB was horrible for 10 years. That is not good for building a fan base, I agree. However, I do not think it was totally management's fault. The Florida market is full of fans already loyal to other teams as transplants from other regions of the nation. They also have more than their fair share of senior citizens, and people who are more into football, NASCAR, and other sports than baseball. The stadium is a joke. Maybe management could have tried to get another stadium built or moved the team to a better baseball area (like NC), so I guess they could be blamed for that, but I feel that even if the Rays had become winners faster, their fanbase would not be much better. The Rays have been a very good team for 4 straight years . They went up about 400,000 from 2007 to 2008, but have leveled off. They have been about 12th to 13th every year since in attendance. They can't even sell out some playoff games! The old management team did try and make some FA splashes and failed miserbly. (Greg Vaughn was a disaster.) There is no doubt, the team is successful in large part due to the top picks they got for years and years. I'm not sure where the 45 out of the top 100 number comes from, but they did get a lot of top 3 picks for years, and made good use of most of them (unlike many consistent lsoing teams). The team changed management in 2006, and the new management team made some crucial changes in their scouting and development areas, as well as philosophical approaches to trades and free agents. On the surface, they appear to trade their good players no matter if they are in a race or not (Kazmir). They let good FAs walk rather than pay top dollar to keep them. Last year, they broke records for comp picks due to lost FAs, but not so amazingly to me, they stayed competitive due to comp picks and trades of top players from years before taking those departing players places. In the process, they have restocked their system to fill future departing player's slots as well...and then some. To me, this team's mid to long term outlook looks brighter than the present. Maybe the fans are tired of saying "wait till next year" as Sox fans were for decades and decades, but it is not encouraging to not see any attendance growth for 3 straight years! There just isn't that much more revenue to be had in that market. As long as they stay in TB, they will always be limited by money and payroll, unless their owner decides that winning is more important than making money. I don't blame any owner for not looking to make money first. Boston/NY have to sustain their fan base by competing every year. They  have to spend. The Rays  have  no such fan-base, so they  can't  spend. You are right. They could win 3 WS in a row, and probably wouldn't crack 2,000,000 in attendance or see a big rise in TV market share. And while NY/Boston continue to field winners, the Rays will eventually revert to lower status when their farm isn't as productive. This won't happen anytime soon, but it  will  happen. They won't get the the high number of picks as they continue to compete. The exact opposite has happened, in terms of quantity of picks (not quality, as in top 5-10 picks overall). By losing multiple players to free agency, they just stockpiled an already full minor league system and barely lost any competitive edge on the big club. Let's look at a few areas: 1) They only had to pay Manny $87,000. I do not think they are in salary dump mode this winter. 2) Free agents to be:   2011- Damon (their highest paid player at $5.25M), Peralta, Juan Cruz, and Kotchman   2012- BJ Upton and JP Howell. (Option years for Shields, Farns. & Shoppach)   These are not even close to what they have lost recently. 3) They have lots of arb raises coming up, but not any huge contractual raises coming up. The biggest raise goes to Longoria ($2.5M to $4.5M then $6M in 2013) 4) I don't see TB trading Shields like they did Garza, but it could happen next year or next winter since he has a $13M 2013 option. They could deal Upton this winter, but I don't see that as a big loss. They still have Jennings, Joyce and Fuld plus upcoming prospects. 5) Most core players are locked up for several years ay relatively low cost: Zobrist:  12 :$4.5M, 13 :$5.5M, 14 :$7M club option ($2.5M buyout), 15 :$7.5M club option ($0.5M buyout) Longoria:  12 :$4.5M, 13 :$6M, 14 :$7.5M club option ($3M buyout), 15 :$11M club option, 16 :$11.5M club option Price:  12 :$1.5M then 3 arb years Davis:  12 :$1.5M, 13 :$2.8M, 14 :$4.8M, 15 :$7M club option, 16 :$8M club option, 17 :$10M club option ($2.5M buyout) Niemann: $903K then 3 arb years. The rest are all not even at arb level. 2012 Team: C: Jaso (27) / Shoppach (31) / Chirinos (27)/Lobaton 1B: ??? (Leslie Anderson) 2B: Zobrist (30) / Olmedo 3B: Longoria (25) ? Mayora SS: Rodriguez (26)/ Brignac (25)/ E. Johnson (27) /Beckman     (Hak-Ju Lee is a highly regarded prospect at SS) LF: Jennings (24)/ Fuld (29) CF: Upton (26) /Brandon Guyer (25) RF: Joyce (26) /Ruggiano, Canzler, Carson, Shelby  DH: ??? (Perhaps the easiest 2 positions to fill in MLB are 1B and DH) S1) Shields (29)  1 year, then $13M option for 2013 S2) Price  (25)  4 more years of control at low cost S3) Hellickson (24) 5 more years of control at low cost S4) WDavis  (25) 4 more years at relatively low cost S5) Niemann (28) 3 more arb years S6) A Cobb (23) 5 more years of control S7) Sonnanstine (28) 2 more arb years S8) Matt Moore ( ) 6 years of control S9) Chris Archer Others: Paduch, Torra, Dyer, Colome, Barnese, Lobstein, Baker This is the "meat" of this team and they will be strong for years to come. They also drafted soem pitchers this year high in the draft, so they will not get any weaker for many years to come on this front. The pen, as with most teams, is sketchy going forward, but TB seems to do well finding gems for cheap: Sorianno in 2010 and Farnsworth in 2011. They do have: Cesar Ramos (27) Adam Russell (28) Brandon Gomes (26) Jake McGee (24) Rob Delaney (26) Jay Buente (27) Alex Torres (23) Mike Ekstrom (27) All have MLB time this year. TB is not going away over the next few years.
    Posted by moonslav59

No, there aren't many expansion teams that make the PO's quickly,
    especially the ones who were born before the advent of Free Agency, thus they had little choice but to accept other team's scraps until they could draft effectively.

After FA and revenue sharing, the trend changed.
    Arizona won a ring in their4th year of existence.
    Marlins won a ring in their 5th year.
    Rockies finished 2nd in their 3rd year,and were above .500 in their 4th/5th years.
    Took Toronto 7 years before they could compete, but they joined the league in the infancy of FA, when many owners opposed it.
    Took the M's almost twice as long, but for the similar reasons.

The teams that enjoyed the benefits the Rays did at the same time of their induction have all fared much better in half the time. I gotta believe the Rays FO was well aware of the marketing holes in Tampa, and if they knew their approach ahead of time was to stockpile picks, then they never should have chosen the demographics...or been allowed to.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I do not disagree, but that was old management. This management team has capitalized on the top picks from the former management team, but they have done well in their trades, stockpiled sandwich picks, and been keen on the timing of dumping their stars. Almost everyone they traded or let walk has been bad to horrible afterwards. 

Look at the amount of pen pitchers that left this year, and the Rays are something like 73-1 this year when leading after 7 innings. Bash the old guard all you want, but this management team has done amazing things with little resources. They are the new model for small market teams. They are good now and should get better next year, and maybe even better after that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

I'm a big fan of Grodin as well.....Loved his short-lived talk show on MSNBC (or NBC) some years back...As to De Niro, my favorite performance is in Scorsese's masterpiece Mean Streets (1973).

"Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living."

Mary Harris "Mother" Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) - 1930 (U.S.) )

when the boss comes callin' his take his toll 
    when the boss comes callin' don't you sell your soul 
    when the boss comes callin' we gotta organize 

- Dropkick Murphys (for the workers of Wisconsin)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I do not disagree, but that was old management. This management team has capitalized on the top picks from the former management team, but they have done well in their trades, stockpiled sandwich picks, and been keen on the timing of dumping their stars. Almost everyone they traded or let walk has been bad to horrible afterwards.  Look at the amount of pen pitchers that left this year, and the Rays are something like 73-1 this year when leading after 7 innings. Bash the old guard all you want, but this management team has done amazing things with little resources. They are the new model for small market teams. They are good now and should get better next year, and maybe even better after that.
    Posted by moonslav59

What little resources? They have rich farm land they continue to tap into. It's a continued source of trade assets or development. Moon, ya just can't separate the new MGMT from the old anymore than ya can with Henry/Theo and Duquette.
    The "new model for small market teams" includes 10 years of drudgery at high of fan cost for the nation's top picks.

Without that, this brilliant new mgmt team would be lucky to be battling Toronto to avoid  4th place...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Clutch : Yes, I've watched that movie a few times, the scenes with those two are classic.   And I agree that Deniro was also great. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

You saved me from making the same post ; I've seen that move maybe 30X

When asked by DeNiro's daughter if he's the criminal:

"I'm a white collar criminal"

When chased by Serrano's thugs in a chopper that was briefly out of view :

"Oh, we're perfectly safe"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Harness, the blonde is Sybil Shepard. She was very hot in her younger days.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Harness, the blonde is Sybil Shepard. She was very hot in her younger days.
    Posted by tbrod

And an ayyhole; she claimed to have taught Elvis how to treat a woman; and claimed Martha Stewart was sent to jail because she was female, when her male partner in crime did more time than her.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Clutch : What little resources ? 

Come on harness, TB can never approach the revenue the Yanks and Sox take in. They should move to another area, no doubt. You can blame the new management for not moving faster, but no matter where they move, they will never find a market like Boston or NY. 

They have rich farm land they continue to tap into. It's a continued source of trade assets or development. 

Yes, but unlike other teams in their market size, they have improved the big club AND kept the farm getting stronger and deeper.

Moon , ya just can't separate the new MGMT from the old anymore than ya can with Henry/Theo and Duquette. 

Yes, you can. Dan D would not have won a ring or two. The old TB management would never have won the AL East...ever.

The "new model for small market teams" includes 10 years of drudgery at high of fan cost for the nation's top picks. Without that, this brilliant new mgmt team would be lucky to be battling Toronto to avoid  4th place...

So, you are saying Henry and Theo are no good? They are no better than Dan? They had nothing to do with the Sox success because they had Manny and Pedro and others from the Dan D era?

TB's new management made some great deals and signings without spending top dollar like the Sox and Yanks.
    Trades:
    Getting Matt Garza and Bartlett for Delmon Young
    Getting Edwin Jackson then trading him for Matt Joyce. 
    Getting Sorianno then 2 picks for him.
    Getting Wheeler then a pick when he walked.
    Getting Balfour then a pick when he walked.
    The trade for Hawpe was a nice move to get a pick from it this year.

Only one trade (the Bartlett trade) looks like it might turn out badly. I wish Theo could say the same about his trades over the last 4 years.

Signings:
    Carlos Pena, Benoit, some others and a few mistakes like Burrell.

Of course they were helped by the guys picked high in the draft before they took over, but any way you look at it, this GM has done a great job.

He has replced the players who were traded or walked with players that are doing as good or better than the players did the year before they left...AND...the players he has dealt away or let walk have almost all done much worse than what they did for TB before the left. Call it luck if you want, but it has worked.

Posted by harness

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I'm not calling it luck, Moon. The new MGMT. has done a very good job. I'm simply not separating them from what they took over. Henry/Theo get no ring without Duquett's team. They built off that strong foundation, just as the Rays new MGMT has.

If Tampa FO was smart, they'd move now and build a new fan base while their farm is fruitful and the team is still good. Then put some of the profits into FA to maintain their support.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from udontnojack. Show udontnojack's posts

2-56 when losing after 7 innings.that says it all.got to be worst record in baseball.probably,also at bottom in hitting with runners in scoring position.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

I'm not calling it luck, Moon . The new MGMT. has done a very good job. I'm simply not separating them from what they took over. Henry/Theo get no ring without Duquett's team. They built off that foundation, just as the Rays new MGMT has. If Tampa FO was smart, they'd move now and build a new fan base while their farm is fruitful and the team is still good. Then put some of the profits into FA to maintain their support.
    Posted by harness
        This make sense to me.  But what cities would be good candidates as MLB-friendly sites, unlike the baseball black hole that is Tampa Bay?  ...Portland...New Orleans...San Juan or Mexico City (if including Mexico and Puerto Rico in the mix is not completely unrealistic).  In any event, I have no clue...

Warning: This post was created by a Yankee fan, and may be intended to cause irreparable emotional and psychological harm to any Red Sox fan who reads it.

Mary Harris "Mother" Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) - 1930 (U.S.) )

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Clutch :     This make sense to me.  But what cities would be good candidates as MLB-friendly sites, unlike the baseball black hole that is Tampa Bay?  ...Portland...New Orleans...San Juan or Mexico City (if including Mexico and Puerto Rico in the mix is not completely unrealistic).  In any event, I have no clue... Warning : This post was created by a Yankee fan, and may be intended to cause irreparable emotional and psychological harm to any Red Sox fan who reads it. " Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living. " -  Mary Harris "Mother" Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) - 1930 (U.S.) )   when the boss comes callin' his take his toll  when the boss comes callin' don't you sell your soul  when the boss comes callin' we gotta organize          - Dropkick Murphys (for the workers of Wisconsin)
    Posted by caseycsw

Vegas is a possibility. They've been pining for a  M.L. team for years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

In Response to Re: Clutch : Vegas is a possibility. They've been pining for a  M.L. team for years.
    Posted by harness

Would Pete Rose have a shot as a possible GM??.....Sheesh, I just assumed Selig and company would shiver at that prospect after enduring steroidaplegia in the public eye for the past few years...Still, the Vegas Chips is a pretty catchy name...

Warning: This post was created by a Yankee fan, and may be intended to cause irreparable emotional and psychological harm to any Red Sox fan who might read it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTChris. Show CTChris's posts

In Response to Re: Clutch : Vegas is a possibility. They've been pining for a  M.L. team for years.
    Posted by harness

I don't think Vegas would be the answer. The idea would be to keep the Rays part of the AL East otherwise they would have to restructure the division. Oakland is looking to move too (San Jose), but if they can't get the territory they want, Vegas might be an option for them.

Any move would require the new city to have a temporary stadium for the team to play in while a new home was being built. That limits the options right there.  Finding a stadium that has open dates to accommodate 81 home games from April - September isn't going to be easy.

They would also need a decent population base from which to draw. Tampa's population is ranked 55th in the US, so ideally they would be looking for a larger city on the East coast.  There are more than a few that don't currently have a ML team.....

Raleigh, Virginia Bch, Louisville, Nashville, Memphis and Charlotte NC all have metro populations larger than Tampa Bay. I think on the surface Louisville has the strongest baseball connection ("Louisville Slugger"). Whether or not they have a facility and a population that would support the team is another question.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

In Response to Re: Clutch : I don't think Vegas would be the answer. The idea would be to keep the Rays part of the AL East otherwise they would have to restructure the division. Oakland is looking to move too (San Jose), but if they can't get the territory they want, Vegas might be an option for them. Any move would require the new city to have a temporary stadium for the team to play in while a new home was being built. That limits the options right there.  Finding a stadium that has open dates to accommodate 81 home games from April - September isn't going to be easy. They would also need a decent population base from which to draw. Tampa's population is ranked 55th in the US, so ideally they would be looking for a larger city on the East coast.  There are more than a few that don't currently have a ML team..... Raleigh, Virginia Bch, Louisville, Nashville, Memphis and Charlotte NC all have metro populations larger than Tampa Bay. I think on the surface Louisville has the strongest baseball connection ("Louisville Slugger"). Whether or not they have a facility and a population that would support the team is another question.
    Posted by CTChris
         Nice post.  I completely forgot about Charlotte and Memphis.  Not sure if the interest in baseball is there, though...Now if the Vegas Chips make it to the MLB, they could always have a roller derby team do stunts between innings, sell hot dogs in the luxury boxes, and maybe scour the casinos for high-rollers willing to buy season tickets.  The Vegas Chips and the Vegas Vixens...Sounds like a winning combo to me...
         Now watch...Vegas will get an MLB team in 2013 and I will have to swallow this hot dog of a post....

Warning: This post was created by a Yankee fan, and may be intended to cause irreparable emotional and psychological harm to any Red Sox fan who reads it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Clutch : I don't think Vegas would be the answer. The idea would be to keep the Rays part of the AL East otherwise they would have to restructure the division.Oakland is looking to move too (San Jose), but if they can't get the territory they want, Vegas might be an option for them. Any move would require the new city to have a temporary stadium for the team to play in while a new home was being built. That limits the options right there.  Finding a stadium that has open dates to accommodate 81 home games from April - September isn't going to be easy. They would also need a decent population base from which to draw. Tampa's population is ranked 55th in the US, so ideally they would be looking for a larger city on the East coast.  There are more than a few that don't currently have a ML team..... Raleigh, Virginia Bch, Louisville, Nashville, Memphis and Charlotte NC all have metro populations larger than Tampa Bay. I think on the surface Louisville has the strongest baseball connection ("Louisville Slugger"). Whether or not they have a facility and a population that would support the team is another question.
    Posted by CTChris

But that's the whole point behind moving (for the Tampa FO). To draw better and get out of the A. L  East. They don't have to replace Tampa in the division. The West only has 4 teams.

The southern states are problematic in that the annual wages (compared to the larger eastern cities) aren't conducive to paying high ticket prices. NC might be an exception. I doubt Louisville would support a M.L. franchise.

I do like the name Vegas chips.

Sections
Shortcuts