CLUTCH!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

CLUTCH!

man, between going back and forth from the bruins to the redsox I was fortunate to see our young 3rd baseman make the "clutch" hit of the season so far. The rays closer was throwing 100mph but couldn't control his fastball. (maybe if he wore his cap straight he would be able to see straight jk). bases loaded, 2 outs and 2 strikes and BAM! double up the gap and will clears the bases and gets us the lead. you could see how jacked he was standing on 2nd base. Also I want to include Mr. Victorino's clutch grabs in right field that also was hugh. two great catches and a clutch performance on defense. Taz finishing off the rays in the bottom of the ninth with a one run lead was also clutch. Hey folks, we gotta take em as we can get em.

great to take the series from the devilrays eh guys?

how bout some milk and twinkies...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: CLUTCH!

great hit for WM....but what was Madden doing not lifting this guy after he walked the first couple of guys off? he looked like Bard out there....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

great hit for WM....but what was Madden doing not lifting this guy after he walked the first couple of guys off? he looked like Bard out there....

I know geo! the only pitch he had working for strikes was his change up. still, the guy is the rays closer right. he what the hell, sometimes the bear eats you, and sometimes you eat the bear. last night was one of those good nights for us.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Maddons lineups are backwards if you ask me. He has his low OBP guys batting in front of his power bats and has one of his best hitters right now, Loney, batting 6th or 7th? He leaves in his closer who obviously has nothing except a hittable change up.

Middy has been very "clutch" as of late. Hes making the necessary adjustments that he has to, to become an MVP caliber player.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Managers rarely pull their closers while they still have a lead.     

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Rodney is not the cleanest Closer either. Last year was an anomaly. Remember when Pap wld have a shakey SVO, but still get the SV? Yeah, it's like that most of the time w/ Rodney But different. 60% of the time he gets the Save, but half of them makes you want to bust open your liquor cabinet w/ that autographed bat you had hanging on the wall. The other 40% of course are a BLSV. I'm glad the Sox stayed away from signing him ( twice ). There'd be 1,000 negative posts of him here if they did & most wld be justified. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

Rodney is not the cleanest Closer either. Last year was an anomaly. Remember when Pap wld have a shakey SVO, but still get the SV? Yeah, it's like that most of the time w/ Rodney But different. 60% of the time he gets the Save, but half of them makes you want to bust open your liquor cabinet w/ that autographed bat you had hanging on the wall. The other 40% of course are a BLSV. I'm glad the Sox stayed away from signing him ( twice ). There'd be 1,000 negative posts of him here if they did & most wld be justified. 

agreed - not impressive at all and glad he's not ours

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Anytime a pen arm walks two hitters in a row and isn't even close, it shouldn't take a nuclear engineer to figure out that he needs to come out. Doesn't matter if "he's the closer". Pen profiles and walks don't work for someone who is supposed to be fresh and only throwing a small number of total pitches. 

I don't necessarily agree or disagree with this.  I just observe what the actual managers do.

In the Angels-White Sox game last night Scioscia brought in a reliever named Kohn in the 8th with a runner on base.  Kohn issued consecutive walks to load the bases.  Scioscia left him in.  Kohn issued a third consecutive walk to bring in a run that turned out to be the winner. 

So on one night, Maddon and Scioscia, both two-time MOY winners, let a reliever issue 3 walks.

I guess all managers are idiots, basically. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Anytime a pen arm walks two hitters in a row and isn't even close, it shouldn't take a nuclear engineer to figure out that he needs to come out. Doesn't matter if "he's the closer". Pen profiles and walks don't work for someone who is supposed to be fresh and only throwing a small number of total pitches. 

I don't necessarily agree or disagree with this.  I just observe what the actual managers do.

In the Angels-White Sox game last night Scioscia brought in a reliever named Kohn in the 8th with a runner on base.  Kohn issued consecutive walks to load the bases.  Scioscia left him in.  Kohn issued a third consecutive walk to bring in a run that turned out to be the winner. 

So on one night, Maddon and Scioscia, both two-time MOY winners, let a reliever issue 3 walks.

I guess all managers are idiots, basically. 

what good is being a manager if you are a slave to SOP? Are you never supposed to intervene with a closer because he's your ace reliever? you watch a guy struggle to locate even one strike and you leave him in to allow not only the tying run but winning run to get on base? it was apparent to me they TB pitcher had nothing but velocity....i wasnt suprised at all that we won that game once Madden left him in. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

what good is being a manager if you are a slave to SOP? Are you never supposed to intervene with a closer because he's your ace reliever? you watch a guy struggle to locate even one strike and you leave him in to allow not only the tying run but winning run to get on base? it was apparent to me they TB pitcher had nothing but velocity....i wasnt suprised at all that we won that game once Madden left him in. 

I hear what you're saying, believe me.  All I can say is, Maddon obviously had a certain amount of confidence in Rodney to get the job done - more than he had in whoever else he had out in the pen.  Rodney did strike Drew out on 3 pitches after the pitching coach talked to him. 

I firmly believe that managers just close their eyes and roll the dice sometimes.  When it doesn't work out they can look pretty silly.  When it does, everyone forgets about it. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm surprised nobody bashed "Gentle John"...err, I mean "Manager John" for leaving Tazawa in the game after allowing 2 singles in the 9th. You can bet if he had allowed one more hit, softy and gang would have started a few threads calling for John's ouster.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Definitely clutch.  But some commentators up above seem to have forgotten the exact situation.

Yes, Rodney walked not two, but three Sox players, who all ended up scoring.  However, he also had two outs when Middlebrooks came to bat--a righty against a righty, advantage to Rodney.  Plus in his last outing against us, Tues night, Rodney struck out all three Sox, so Maddon had every reason to believe Middlebrooks would be out if Rodney could get the ball over the plate.

And what happened?  Rodney quickly got an 0-2 count with pitches virtually in the middle of the plate.  The third pitch, high outside fastball, touched the corner but was correctly (I believe) called a ball, yielding a 1-2--a 100 mph fastball.  I think the situation called for another fast ball in a different location, but the catcher Molina wanted a quick kill with a changeup to a righty hitter.  Over the outside corner, that could have worked.  Over the inside corner, it would have been no worse than a foul.  But it was very close to the middle of the plate, slightly left (outside) and slightly below dead center.  A fat pitch, especially at 85 mph.  Give Middlebrooks tons of credit for not just hitting it, but hitting it squarely, which is why it got all to the wall on ground. 

In distributing credit and blame for that play, one must agree with the OP on how clutch Middlebrooks was and blame the catcher and primarily Rodney for poor execution.  No blame should accrue to Maddon, who made the right call on leaving Rodney in there.  Lest we forget, even a fourth walk to Middlebrooks would not have tied the game and still given Maddon another option to leave Rodney in or bring in someone else. 

Some of our contributors are I think guilty of 20-20 hindsight and of ignoring what the actual situation was. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

PAPI IS!

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

<sniff>  smells like dogchit...

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I hear what you're saying, believe me.  All I can say is, Maddon obviously had a certain amount of confidence in Rodney to get the job done - more than he had in whoever else he had out in the pen.  Rodney did strike Drew out on 3 pitches after the pitching coach talked to him. 

I firmly believe that managers just close their eyes and roll the dice sometimes.  When it doesn't work out they can look pretty silly.  When it does, everyone forgets about it. 

I'm sure it happens occasionally, but I don't remember a manager pulling his closer in the middle of a save opportunity.  I checked a handful of closers, and it virtually never happens.  It happened twice with Nathon since 2008 and the guy that relieved him allowed all the runners in.  Valverde would walk 2 or more maybe 5 times a year, and it Leyland never pulled him.  It hasn't happened to Rivera in recent history.  I don't think it ever happened to Papelbon or Wilson.

I've seen a manager pull the closer AFTER he's blow the save lots of times, but pulling a closer in the middle of a save, virtually never happens.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

If you pulled a closer every time they walked two batters you wouldn't have many closers closing.

A closer closes--like it or not. Pull him and still lose, lots of second guessing from the closer and the team. You have to win by the closer and occasionally lose by the closer. I would take Rodney--I would like seeing those arrows shooting off into the distance.  3 BS, 1-2 in 16 games. Good days and bad.

The Pirates found a place for Melancon--set-up. Last I saw .043 ERA. Good for the Pirates.

If I am BenC I try to extend Ue ASAP. Why wait--I think he's on a one year deal.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts