C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duffie33. Show Duffie33's posts

Re: C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!!

I love the slow play - I certainly dont need to have team in place on Nov 12 for next year.  We don't know all the players/team who are available for trade, we dont know the market for many positions.  No take your time and get it right.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FastEddie50. Show FastEddie50's posts

Hey Ben.

Maybe you haven't figured out that the job is more than telling Theo he the smartest guy in the room, you vacant-staring mouth breather.

Maybe you can go to Bill James and ask him what his magic sabermetrics crystal ball says?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

He can't sign anyone til he gets a manger. FA's won't come here when they don't even know who they'll be playing for. You people need to chill.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!!:
    In Response to Re: C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!! : ...at least we agree that both Josh Beckett and Kevin Youkilis will need to go for this team to float back to the top.
    Posted by WesternOregon

Is that so?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!! : OH GREAT LIBERAL ONE, WRONG AGAIN !!  ACTUALLY IT'S A COMPLIMENT !!   YES, I LIKE LARRY'S STYLE AND HOW HE IS A "THROW BACK" TO THE OLD DAYS OF BASEBALL  WITH A VERY MODERN BUSINESS MODEL .......  NO STONE GOES UNTURNED WITH MR. L  AS HE USUALLY SEVERAL STEPS A HEAD OF THE CURVE AND HE IS TOUGH WITH THAT SNEAKY INSIDE FASTBALL !!!
    Posted by Bill-806
    Could you please leave the politics off the baseball board? I don't come here to hear your reactionary views on the state of America. Which, BTW is named after an Italian.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!! : Could you please leave the politics off the baseball board? I don't come here to hear your reactionary views on the state of America. Which, BTW is named after an Italian.
    Posted by carnie

Agreed. I personally don't like Obama or most things he does, but don't feel the need to rant about it here. Bill806 and Hankwilliams turn every post into politics, one way or the other. It's getting old, keep it to baseball whenever possible. And the posts in all caps I just don't get. Looks like a 14 year old girl chatting up her "bff's" about Justin Bieber.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!! : Agreed. I personally don't like Obama or most things he does, but don't feel the need to rant about it here. Bill806 and Hankwilliams turn every post into politics, one way or the other. It's getting old, keep it to baseball whenever possible.
    Posted by TheExaminer
    I don't like Obama much either, and I voted for him. But that's neither here nor there as my granddad used to say. This is a baseball board, specifically a Red Sox baseball board. If you want to talk politics go to a political discussion.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!! : Are we already in the "WHERE ARE ALL THE MOVES" phase of the offseason? It amazes how poeple can come on this website repeatedly citing their longeivity as Sox fans ("I remember watching Wes Ferrell throw his legendary frizzleball to Lou GEhrig!!.  Now THOSE were players."), and in all those years they never figured out how the offseason works.   Do they know when Sptring Training even is?  (Hint: Not in autumn.  Right now is autumn.)
    Posted by notin

Actually, the official start of the 'how come we haven't done anything is 11/1, and the 'we're doomed' starts on 11/15.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

He did something. He did not sign Paps who did not and was not wishing to return to Boston. Paps was good, but closers come and go with Mariano the exception. And there are many on the market. And when it mattered most, Paps could not get the job done(this yr). Just look at what the Cards did with Motte. Closers can arise out of the blue. If the Sox were given the chance to counter offer, Paps would have declined. I believe he wanted out. The Sox will be just fine now that he has left. Other(s) will fill the role. Who knows, maybe they actually find a great closer in all this. Patience. Ben is doing just fine......
    Posted by antiqueman1

you are so right Hello !!! people PAPS wanted noooooo part of sox !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

don't remember the Sox really making any major moves till Dec...last year.....then the Gonzalez / Crawford stuff started happening

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!! : ...at least we agree that both Josh Beckett and Kevin Youkilis will need to go for this team to float back to the top.
    Posted by WesternOregon

By "we all" you mean you and that guy who types in bold caps and whose dan cannot remember his name?

I would much rather keep them both...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

He can't sign anyone til he gets a manger. FA's won't come here when they don't even know who they'll be playing for. You people need to chill.
    Posted by TheExaminer

Exactly.

And I feel confident he might hire a manager before spring training

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

The Sox are going to be just fine. Let's just wait and see what happens with the manager hiring and over the winter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We're still a week away from the arbitration offer date. It's not even clear yet who all the FAs will be. Relax fellas.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

There will not be much done in the Free Agent market done for the next few years, get used to it.

The farm must be rebuilt first!

Bard will recover, one horrible month doesn't define his future.

If they don't offer Ellsbury a contract when he's up, then I'll be disappointed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i agree its frustrating that the sox have not done anything yet. Paps is gone which leaves the sox with madson and heath bell. i do not view madson as a closer. the majority of his career he has been a set up man. If i was ben cherington i would sign both of them and solidy the set up spots with bard and madson and then make heath bell the closer. bobby jenks cannot be counted upon to be a set up man. One guy who would be a great pick up is andrew bailey from the oakland a's. Maybe ben could swing a deal with oakland for bailey and either cahill or gio gonzalez. As for right field i have no idea what cherington has in mind. In terms of free agents the only one that interests me is grady sizemore. So if they want a right handed bat in right field they will have to go the trade route. Hopefully ben starts getting things rolling soon. we have no right fielder, no manager, no dh, no number 4 and 5 pitchers and no closer.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Our CBT budget so far...
    (avg anual salary of contract)

AGon  $22.0M
    Craw  $20.3M
    Beck   $17.0M
    Lack   $16.5M
    Youk  $10.3M
    Dice     $8.0M
    Buch    $7.5M
    Ells    ~$7.0M (est arb raise- 2nd of 3- from $2.4M in '11)
    Pedey $6.7M
    Lest    $6.0M
    Jenks  $6.0M
    Scut    $5.7M
    Bard  ~2.5M  (est arb- 1sy of 3- from $.505M in '11)
    Acev ~$2.5M
    (est arb- 1st of 3- from $.65M in '11) 
    Salty ~$2.5M (est arb-2nd of 3- from $.75M in '11)
    Iggy    $2.1M
    Aviles~$1.0M (est arb-1st of 3- from $.64M in '11)
    Albers~1.0M  (est arb- 2nd of 3- from $.875M in '11) 
    Taza ~$0.8M  (est, pre-arb, then 4 more arbs: made $1.1M x 3 yrs)
    Lowrie ~$.8M (est arb- 1st of 3- from $.45M in '11)
    DMac ~$0.5M  (est, pre-arb, then 3 more arbs: made $.47M in '11)
    Moral ~$0.5M (est arb-1st of 3- from $.424M in '11)
    Doub ~$0.5M (pre-arb, then 2 more pre-arbs+3 arbs: made $.417M)
    Atch  ~$0.5M (pre-arb, then 1 more pre-arb+3 arbs: made $.454M)
    R.Hill ~$0.5M (2nd arb? out of 3???)
    All the rest are pre-arb and close to minimum salary:.

Oki??? 2nd of 3 arbs: made $1.75M in '11 (May let him go)

By my estimate, our total payroll budget (assuming we sign the arb guys)is currently at about: Lavarnway, Kalish, Reddick, Bowden (no options), Weiland, Anderson, Tejada, Exposito, Pimental, etc...
    Add about $8M for the rest at near min salary:

$156M Total Estimated Salary for 2012 with no moves.

It was about $164M in 2011 and $168M in 2010 according to Cots.
    It was about $167M in 2011 according to baseball reference, and they estimate our 2012 player payroll budget (with arbs signed) at about $160.4M.

I think many posters are grossly over-estimating how much we have to spend this winter to fill at least 7 slots (with kids or otherwise):
    1) SP
    2) SP
    3) Closer/Set-up
    4) DH
    5) RP
    6) RF (RH'd)
    7) C

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Paps leaving was almost as sure as Pedro's, just not as long and drawn out after the season.

We have ben telling Paps he's no good for the last three years.  Not all of us, but then not all of us speak our minds.  MOST OF US WHO SEE THINGS AS A GLASS HALF EMPTY are very willing to talk and complain.  The CHB's regular negativism, and sadly, Mazz has become a little CHB in the same fashion. (I used to read Mazz and Nick as a relief from CHB ...)

If Paps were to read THIS forum, as usual, he would read far more folks complaining about him than supporting him.

That seems to be a natural thing among us humans.  Who has ever heard of a "HAPPY MOB" breaking into "SUPPORT,"  roaming the streets (OK, after a championship win ... but other thanthat?).  History is replete with ANGRY MOBS rampaging ...

I'm not completely starry-eyed and realize Paps has not been as good sometimes as others ... blowing 2, 3,4 run leads in save situations never feels or tasted good...but we have seemed to forgetten ahead of time that he has been on of the best closers in MLB - and certainly one of the top closers as a Red Sox.  But to read, hear, feel that he isn't the same; read, feel and hear that he's needs to be traded  - all he did was take matters in his own hands and find a place more than willing to assuage all that with a hot, hugely ego satisfying historic deal and go there.

Paps wasn't staying.

That's my take.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Another option--TRADE YOUK --We need to determine if Youk is more valuable than Papi.
    We are really heavy lefthanded without Youk.
    Does Youk offer better protection for AGon than Papi?
    Could Youk put up Papi numbers if all he did was DH?
    Youk does offer back-up protection at 1 b and 3 b when we play in NL parks also.

Is this all business or sentiment? If it's business like Papelbon--you let Papi walk whether you get a draft pick or not. Thanks for all these great years but we are going in a different direction with the DH position. AND the  same with YOUK--we have a 1 b and we don't think you can play 140 games at 3 b and be productive--we are going in a different direction. We are searching for a trade--where would you like to play next season--we will do our best.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

Be patient, Ben will make his share of moves but I think it's going to be be more via trade.  We have a great nucaleus and the free agent market is the worst in recent years.  The FO knows not only we have to compete and re-work this present roster but try to get younger as well.  We are going to need to save alot of money for money Ells, if he has another monster year.  This may be one of the wildest off season's in recent memory.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

The Sox are going to be just fine. Let's just wait and see what happens with the manager hiring and over the winter.
    Posted by antiqueman1

That kind of logic and clarity of thought must stop if this thread is to survive.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

The payroll will rise this year, probably by a good bit. Theres no way to avoid it IMO. In Response to Re: C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!!:
    Our CBT budget so far... (avg anual salary of contract) AGon  $22.0M Craw  $20.3M Beck   $17.0M Lack   $16.5M Youk  $10.3M Dice     $8.0M Buch    $7.5M Ells     ~$7.0M (est arb raise- 2nd of 3- from $2.4M in '11) Pedey $6.7M Lest    $6.0M Jenks  $6.0M Scut    $5.7M Bard  ~2.5M  (est arb- 1sy of 3- from $.505M in '11) Acev ~$2.5M (est arb- 1st of 3- from $.65M in '11)  Salty  ~$2.5M (est arb-2nd of 3- from $.75M in '11) Iggy    $2.1M Aviles~$1.0M (est arb-1st of 3- from $.64M in '11) Albers~1.0M   (est arb- 2nd of 3- from $.875M in '11)  Taza  ~$0.8M   (est, pre-arb, then 4 more arbs: made $1.1M x 3 yrs) Lowrie ~$.8M (est arb- 1st of 3- from $.45M in '11) DMac ~$0.5M   (est, pre-arb, then 3 more arbs: made $.47M in '11) Moral ~$0.5M (est arb-1st of 3- from $.424M in '11) Doub ~$0.5M (pre-arb, then 2 more pre-arbs+3 arbs: made $.417M) Atch  ~$0.5M (pre-arb, then 1 more pre-arb+3 arbs: made $.454M) R.Hill ~$0.5M (2nd arb? out of 3???) All the rest are pre-arb and close to minimum salary:. Oki??? 2nd of 3 arbs: made $1.75M in '11 (May let him go) By my estimate, our total payroll budget (assuming we sign the arb guys)is currently at about: Lavarnway, Kalish, Reddick, Bowden (no options), Weiland, Anderson, Tejada, Exposito, Pimental, etc... Add about $8M for the rest at near min salary: $156M Total Estimated Salary for 2012 with no moves. It was about $164M in 2011 and $168M in 2010 according to Cots. It was about $167M in 2011 according to baseball reference, and they estimate our 2012 player payroll budget (with arbs signed) at about $160.4M . I think many posters are grossly over-estimating how much we have to spend this winter to fill at least 7 slots (with kids or otherwise): 1) SP 2) SP 3) Closer/Set-up 4) DH 5) RP 6) RF (RH'd) 7) C
    Posted by moonslav59

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

In Response to C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!!:
    TWIDDLE THUMBS CLOCKWISE, TWIDDLE THUMBS COUNTER-CLOCKWISE!  THUS MUCH , SO FAR, FROM CHERINGTON!  TIME TO STEP UP BEN, AND FILL THE HOLES!!  LOSE PAPI TOO, AND THE STONING MAY BEGIN! RYAN MADSON: 3 YEARS@10=30. GO SIGN JEFF SAMARDZIJA, LHP, CUBS DECLINED '12 OPTION ON 10/31. WAITING TOO LONG AND ONLY OPTIONS LEFT WILL BE THOSE NO BODY ELSE WANTS!
    Posted by REBEL

I "Fear" that this is a sign of things NOT left to come.  I am hoping that Ben is not a namby pamby fraid to act leader who will never pull the trigger until forced to do so.

He has a couple of items to take care of now.
    1) Manager- how about we pick one before every other team has theirs, just leaving the sox with the left overs.  Of course if he waits until the Cubs and Cards will their spots, then he can claim that he had to take what was avail.
    2) How about finishing this compenation crap with the Cubs?  Damned....  How long can it take to get compensated for something you already allowed them to walk in and take from you?
    3) Closer....  Now I really like Bard as a pitcher.... I just want someone else in that late inning bullpen to assist him.  We all know he is prone to periods of OOPS.... it would be nice to have another "OUT" man if needed.  I "Personally" like Madsen... but I wonder why the Phils went a different way after having an agreement ( reportedly) already.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

Our CBT budget so far... (avg anual salary of contract) AGon  $22.0M Craw  $20.3M Beck   $17.0M Lack   $16.5M Youk  $10.3M Dice     $8.0M Buch    $7.5M Ells     ~$7.0M (est arb raise- 2nd of 3- from $2.4M in '11) Pedey $6.7M Lest    $6.0M Jenks  $6.0M Scut    $5.7M Bard  ~2.5M  (est arb- 1sy of 3- from $.505M in '11) Acev ~$2.5M (est arb- 1st of 3- from $.65M in '11)  Salty  ~$2.5M (est arb-2nd of 3- from $.75M in '11) Iggy    $2.1M Aviles~$1.0M (est arb-1st of 3- from $.64M in '11) Albers~1.0M   (est arb- 2nd of 3- from $.875M in '11)  Taza  ~$0.8M   (est, pre-arb, then 4 more arbs: made $1.1M x 3 yrs) Lowrie ~$.8M (est arb- 1st of 3- from $.45M in '11) DMac ~$0.5M   (est, pre-arb, then 3 more arbs: made $.47M in '11) Moral ~$0.5M (est arb-1st of 3- from $.424M in '11) Doub ~$0.5M (pre-arb, then 2 more pre-arbs+3 arbs: made $.417M) Atch  ~$0.5M (pre-arb, then 1 more pre-arb+3 arbs: made $.454M) R.Hill ~$0.5M (2nd arb? out of 3???) All the rest are pre-arb and close to minimum salary:. Oki??? 2nd of 3 arbs: made $1.75M in '11 (May let him go) By my estimate, our total payroll budget (assuming we sign the arb guys)is currently at about: Lavarnway, Kalish, Reddick, Bowden (no options), Weiland, Anderson, Tejada, Exposito, Pimental, etc... Add about $8M for the rest at near min salary: $156M Total Estimated Salary for 2012 with no moves. It was about $164M in 2011 and $168M in 2010 according to Cots. It was about $167M in 2011 according to baseball reference, and they estimate our 2012 player payroll budget (with arbs signed) at about $160.4M . I think many posters are grossly over-estimating how much we have to spend this winter to fill at least 7 slots (with kids or otherwise): 1) SP 2) SP 3) Closer/Set-up 4) DH 5) RP 6) RF (RH'd) 7) C
    Posted by moonslav59

AGreed, lots of money tied up.... but in the case of LAckey ( I would assume they have insurance on a contract that big).... I think that means he will not be paid from the payroll ( essentially) but rather an insurance thing.  This would give them a little more room to wiggle if it is a correct assumption.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

The sox need to up payroll if they wanna finish higher than 3rd in the AL east and make up for 2 unacceptable seasons in a row. Really the sox payroll should sit somewhere between 185-190 million if they really wanna build a world series contender. The sox approach to the offseason needs to be more like the phillies. Identify the guys you want and go full force after them. No more of this "well we could do this or we could that" crap. This team needs to improve drastically. Two 3rd place finishes in a row is not acceptable for a team that generates the second most revenue and charges the second most for tickets in the mlb. Another 3rd place finish is not acceptable. If that means raising the payroll up to the level i suggested earlier in this post then that is what needs to be done. 

Sections
Shortcuts