C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!!

TWIDDLE THUMBS CLOCKWISE, TWIDDLE THUMBS COUNTER-CLOCKWISE!  THUS MUCH , SO FAR, FROM CHERINGTON!  TIME TO STEP UP BEN, AND FILL THE HOLES!!  LOSE PAPI TOO, AND THE STONING MAY BEGIN!

RYAN MADSON: 3 YEARS@10=30.
    GO SIGN JEFF SAMARDZIJA, LHP, CUBS DECLINED '12 OPTION ON 10/31.

WAITING TOO LONG AND ONLY OPTIONS LEFT WILL BE THOSE NO BODY ELSE WANTS!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Re: C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!!

We are gauging the market. I might "gauge" the market and see what this team does before I "gauge" whether I am going to pay for the baseball package on FIOS. This management on this team acts like we are paupers and not one of the wealthiest teams in baseball. Is this team stupid enough to go after Darvish another Matsusaka.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Cafardo this morning says it all. They are captive to Theo's mistakes the last years here.  Not signing Papelbon and signing Ortiz shows this team is making decisions that will have us struggling to compete. What will they do with Ellsbury let him go the same route without a whimper. This was a disgrace.  Look for really rough year next year unless they get creative and take care of what will be a very strapped pitching staff next year. Bard a closer, he could not hand the eighth inning when it counted. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!!:
    [QUOTE]Cafardo this morning says it all. They are captive to Theo's mistakes the last years here.  Not signing Papelbon and signing Ortiz shows this team is making decisions that will have us struggling to compete. What will they do with Ellsbury let him go the same route without a whimper. This was a disgrace.  Look for really rough year next year unless they get creative and take care of what will be a very strapped pitching staff next year. Bard a closer, he could not hand the eighth inning when it counted. 
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree with you.  Not resigning Papelbon is a big mistake.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

I hate you winny boston fans, you guys are so full of crap, why don't you keep your mouths shut, or go back to crying to your momma's oh and get the hell out of your basements and get some air, 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

After the disappointment of this past season, the Sox needed to make improvements to this team.  Losing Papelbon does not qualify as an improvement. Right now , this team is not as good as last season's team. Will be interesting to see what moves are coming in the days ahead.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!! : Definitely agree with you.  Not resigning Papelbon is a big mistake.  
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

susan,
    time will tell...As for this thread...I'll simply state that it's very early in the process and to date Papelbon is the only significant signing by any team...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why you want Ben to start buying free agents?  Paps is the first top 50 free agents to sign.   Ben rather to start focusing on pitching, and once he get one or two pitchers, then he can work around.

If you throw away money for closer, DH, etc. before buying starting pitchers, and then you suddenly see yourself that you only have few $$$ left to sign just a starting pitcher!

Ben will eventually do his job!

Just be patient

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!!:
    [QUOTE]TWIDDLE THUMBS CLOCKWISE, TWIDDLE THUMBS COUNTER-CLOCKWISE!  THUS MUCH , SO FAR, FROM CHERINGTON!  TIME TO STEP UP BEN, AND FILL THE HOLES!!  LOSE PAPI TOO, AND THE STONING MAY BEGIN! RYAN MADSON: 3 YEARS@10=30. GO SIGN JEFF SAMARDZIJA, LHP, CUBS DECLINED '12 OPTION ON 10/31. WAITING TOO LONG AND ONLY OPTIONS LEFT WILL BE THOSE NO BODY ELSE WANTS!
    Posted by REBEL[/QUOTE]

Another cry baby!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

He did something. He did not sign Paps who did not and was not wishing to return to Boston. Paps was good, but closers come and go with Mariano the exception. And there are many on the market. And when it mattered most, Paps could not get the job done(this yr). Just look at what the Cards did with Motte. Closers can arise out of the blue. If the Sox were given the chance to counter offer, Paps would have declined. I believe he wanted out. The Sox will be just fine now that he has left. Other(s) will fill the role. Who knows, maybe they actually find a great closer in all this. Patience. Ben is doing just fine......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Antiqueman,
    It seems like a good idea to keep the still young key players you have.  That said maybe you are right.  My point is that the incredibly bad signings Theo made hang over all future decisions. Next year for all those in Boston who are used to championship hopes is going to be a year of restrained expectations.  Maybe it will be just what we need.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bnoaton. Show bnoaton's posts

[QUOTE]TWIDDLE THUMBS CLOCKWISE, TWIDDLE THUMBS COUNTER-CLOCKWISE!  THUS MUCH , SO FAR, FROM CHERINGTON!  TIME TO STEP UP BEN, AND FILL THE HOLES!!  LOSE PAPI TOO, AND THE STONING MAY BEGIN! RYAN MADSON: 3 YEARS@10=30. GO SIGN JEFF SAMARDZIJA, LHP, CUBS DECLINED '12 OPTION ON 10/31. WAITING TOO LONG AND ONLY OPTIONS LEFT WILL BE THOSE NO BODY ELSE WANTS!
    Posted by REBEL[/QUOTE]

The truth is at this moment there is nothing out there that will not be there later. Losing paplebon was not good but by no means the end of the world Its amazing how quick people are to throw Bard under the bus. I would not wate more than 3 to 4 mill on big papi the dynamics of the position have changed dramitically and the sox need to embrace it not make it worse. I bet they have thier pitching wishes made and if they can do them they will As for the offense they need more righties not lefties. Except for Pulhotz there is no great nam,e out there and that includes Fielder. I would rather do 2 short term deals with Siezmore and Beltran . They should decide if Elllsbury is signable and more on from there with him. All takes time. No need to rush

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Bay-Fan. Show J-Bay-Fan's posts

[QUOTE]Why you want Ben to start buying free agents?  Paps is the first top 50 free agents to sign.   Ben rather to start focusing on pitching, and once he get one or two pitchers, then he can work around. If you throw away money for closer, DH, etc. before buying starting pitchers, and then you suddenly see yourself that you only have few $$$ left to sign just a starting pitcher! Ben will eventually do his job! Just be patient
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

exactly! ... Agree with u ngga

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]  IT ALL STARTS WITH THE NAMING OF A MANAGER. I HOPE IT WILL BE NEXT WEEK.  BEN & LUCCIANO's SHOULD HOPE TO GET A MANAGER BEFORE THEO & THE CUBS DO.  AFTER THAT, WAKE, TEK AND MAYBE PAPI WILL BE GONE......  THEN LOOK FOR SOME CREATIVE TRADES WITH ALMOST ALL HANDS ON THE TABLE......  I FULLY EXPECT YOUK & BECKETT TO GO......
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Red Sox president Larry Lucchino

http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/20111104larry_lucchino_says_search_for_sox_manager_in_4th_inning

"Lucchino appeared in Hartford with former major league manager Bobby Valentine in a program put on by the World Affairs Council on the global rise in the popularity of baseball."

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jh13. Show jh13's posts

seriously, the off-season is still young.  The sox probably would of resigned Pas for about 12 mil but the big issue was probably the length of the contract.  The Sox didn't want to go five years which Philly did.

We still got a long way to go before opening day.  The Sox probably don't to rush things as Ben will want decide his own path.  Past few years, the Sox have blown money in the FA market and it hasn't worked and now you want them to just toss their hat back in the ring.  I really wouldn't be surprised if they don't make a big splash in the FA market, make a few trades (not of the blockbuster sort), and put the entire management in order. 

The entire management team is being redone so before that happens, you aren't going to see a lot of movement.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

Posted by REBEL[/QUOTE]

Cherington just acquired two 1rst round draft picks for not signing JP. Not a bad move.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

The Sox have had the worse track record over the past few years on signing free agents.  I think Ben is doing the right thing.  Stop over spending for crap players.  This is Theos fault.  He strapped this team with multimillion dollar crap contracts and now Ben has to clean it up.  Not going to be easy.  I loved Paps but we have Bard waiting and on the cheap.  Will he be as good as Paps, only time will tell.  We won't know until he closes.  No one knew Paps would be a good closer either at some point you have to give him a shot and see.  I think there is going to be a big decision with Papi too.  Do we really need a full time DH?  I would think the postion would give the team more flexibility if players were rotated through and given some rest during the season at the DH position, especially some of the aging and injury prone players.  Save your money so we can sign our homegrown players like Bard and Ellsbury when their time comes for FA money.  Never mind the Lackeys and Crawfords of the world. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]I hate you winny boston fans, you guys are so full of crap, why don't you keep your mouths shut, or go back to crying to your momma's oh and get the hell out of your basements and get some air, 
    Posted by sinjin5000[/QUOTE]
       I moved out of the basement years ago, now I enjoy the view from the attic.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!! : susan, time will tell...As for this thread...I'll simply state that it's very early in the process and to date Papelbon is the only significant signing by any team...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

My initial thought, as well, Beantowne.  It isn't even the middle of November!  This is the side effect of 24-7 blogosphere and tweets.  We see so much and hear so meuch each day that we think everything needs to happen every day.

It is early, they need a manager and coaches, and the rest will hopefully fall into place.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!! : My initial thought, as well, Beantowne.  It isn't even the middle of November!  This is the side effect of 24-7 blogosphere and tweets.  We see so much and hear so meuch each day that we think everything needs to happen every day. It is early, they need a manager and coaches, and the rest will hopefully fall into place.
    Posted by rickerd2[/QUOTE]

Well said.
    As someone astutely stated already, the new GM has acquired two prospect choices in allowing Jon Papelbon to walk.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!! : OH GREAT LIBERAL ONE, WRONG AGAIN !!  ACTUALLY IT'S A COMPLIMENT !!   YES, I LIKE LARRY'S STYLE AND HOW HE IS A "THROW BACK" TO THE OLD DAYS OF BASEBALL  WITH A VERY MODERN BUSINESS MODEL .......  NO STONE GOES UNTURNED WITH MR. L  AS HE USUALLY SEVERAL STEPS A HEAD OF THE CURVE AND HE IS TOUGH WITH THAT SNEAKY INSIDE FASTBALL !!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

...at least we agree that both Josh Beckett and Kevin Youkilis will need to go for this team to float back to the top.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Posted by REBEL[/QUOTE]

Are we already in the "WHERE ARE ALL THE MOVES" phase of the offseason?

It amazes how poeple can come on this website repeatedly citing their longeivity as Sox fans ("I remember watching Wes Ferrell throw his legendary frizzleball to Lou GEhrig!!.  Now THOSE were players."), and in all those years they never figured out how the offseason works.   Do they know when Sptring Training even is?  (Hint: Not in autumn.  Right now is autumn.)

Sections
Shortcuts