Coco Crisp -- Who Knew?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Coco Crisp -- Who Knew?

Is this like your rant a few years back when Coco was batting .150 but was "leading the league in triples, yahoo!"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Former Red Sox players such as Crisp, Lowrie and Reddick are doing well for Oakland.  I am very happy for them.  

Reddick's entrance music is HHH's, "Time to play the Game".   LOL

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

4 Homers in 8 games

The starting CF'er for the last Red Sox championship team. Since he was replaced by the second coming of Ted Williams, the Red Sox brand has been a big loser brand.

You are so tiresome. The startIng outfield in the WS was Ellsbury, Drew, and Rameriz. I really like Crisp and was huge supporter on this board but even you can't argue Ellsbury is the better player.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I like Coco Crisp the player, I also like Coco Crisp.... the cereal.

I hear Coco Crisp, the person is a very down to earth guy and a natural leader.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

4 Homers in 8 games

The starting CF'er for the last Red Sox championship team. Since he was replaced by the second coming of Ted Williams, the Red Sox brand has been a big loser brand.

I hope Coco hits at least a couple more before spending the rest of the season on the DL :)  Jacoby gets a lot of credit for sparking our offense after benching Crisp and eventually going on to win the WS. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Coco was replaced by Ellsbury in Game 6 of the 2007 ALCS after Coco went 5 for 31 in games up till then.  The Red Sox won 6 in a row to close the 2007 postseason with Ellsbury starting.

So Softy is making perfect sense again.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

4 Homers in 8 games

You are so tiresome. The startIng outfield in the WS was Ellsbury, Drew, and Rameriz. I really like Crisp and was huge supporter on this board but even you can't argue Ellsbury is the better player.

Sure he can. Just wait.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Certainly no one in the BDC Fantasy League, since I offered him around all over the place for a bumch of mediocre infielders and got rebuffed every time...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

4 Homers in 8 games

I love Coco Crisp. Had Game 7 of the ALCS not been a blowout, his catch in the triangle for the final out would have been legendary. Glad he's still doing well.

That said, Coco was not the starting center fielder for the last Red Sox championship team. That is, unless you count coming in as a defensive sub in the 9th inning, which allowed Ellsbury to move over to left ... where he made a spectacular catch to rob Jamey Carroll of at least a double.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Ellsbury got called up twice in 2007, including for all the playoff games,  for a reason, and it wasn't because he couldn't field or hit as softlaw constantly assures us was and is the case.  In 2007 Ellsbury played 33 regular season games with an OPS of .902 and 11 postseason games with an OPS of .949 and in which he had 8 runs scored and 4 rbi's. 

Boston is a tough place to play, period.  Maybe too tough for Crisp, Reddick, AGon, Crawford, Beckett, Lowrie, etc. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Crisp looks great.  I see 40-50 homeruns from him this year ...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Ellsbury got called up twice in 2007, including for all the playoff games,  for a reason, and it wasn't because he couldn't field or hit as softlaw constantly assures us was and is the case.  In 2007 Ellsbury played 33 regular season games with an OPS of .902 and 11 postseason games with an OPS of .949 and in which he had 8 runs scored and 4 rbi's. 

Boston is a tough place to play, period.  Maybe too tough for Crisp, Reddick, AGon, Crawford, Beckett, Lowrie, etc. 

he probably would have been WS MVP too but i think it's a rule that you don't give a rookie WS MVP let alone a late season callup

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Ellsbury looks great, I see 40 to 50 homers for him this year.

Touche ... well, almost ... except, using statistical analysis and common sense, we can deduce that, while he won't hit 40-50, he is going to come much much closer than slugger-par-excellence Coco Crisp.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Back in 2009, as softy was licking his wounds for the Coco departure and the "nonearned" giving of the throne to fan favorite Ellsbury, he claimed Coco had more "power potential" based on the fact that he had his 15 and 16 HRs with the Indians before coming to the Sox. It didn't matter that he never hit over 8 with the Sox in 3 seasons. It doesn't matter now that he has had 34 Hrs in almost 1,700 PAs since he left, or that Jacoby had 32 in one season or 37 in just over 1,000 PAs since Coco left. All of that is forgotten or explained away by the fact that "Jake" had AGon batting 2 slots behind him.

Silly clown. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

The reality is that Coco and Ellsbury are not mutually exclusive.  Coco was a great teammate, a true professional, and would have done anything that the coach asked.

If he was asked to be a fourth outfielder , he would have.  JD always had injury issues, Coco could have been a late defensive replacement for Manny.  We would have found him playing time.  Maybe not starter playing time; however, Coco took his demotion w/ class.

The Coco for Ramon Ramirez trade never made sense.  Coco was more valuable as a switch hitting, play all 3 OF positions, defensive replacement, pinch running supersub than a back of the pen guy.  He was the true leader of our clubhouse.

And if we went into 2008 w/ Coco as a fourth outfielder, we would have found playing time for him every year.  CF in 2012, RF in 2011...

We lost some true player leaders.  Coco may have been the biggest one.

Anybody who has ever played w / Coco has mentioned that he is a great leader and a great teammate.  Extremely down to earth.  Willing to accept any role.  A professional.  The antithesis of a primadonna.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Not even close. 

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/ellsbja01.shtml#2009-2013-sum:batting_standard

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/crispco01.shtml#2009-2013-sum:batting_standard 

-Daf. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"The reality is that Coco and Ellsbury are not mutually exclusive."

Exactly. Softy pitting two great players against each other makes you wonder if we need to take his flimsy fan credentials away from him....

"The Coco for Ramon Ramirez trade never made sense.  Coco was more valuable as a switch hitting, play all 3 OF positions, defensive replacement, pinch running supersub than a back of the pen guy.  He was the true leader of our clubhouse."

Agreed. To some extent all three Boston teams (I can't speak for the Bruins, don't follow closely enough) have made this mistake - they underestimate the value of players who have fit in and performed well in the Boston pressure cooker in favor of a shiny new object with shiny stats from the outside. Many of whom don't succeed here. I don't understand why "proven success in Boston/Fenway" isn't the number one criteria to consider when evaluating and considering moving players. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"The reality is that Coco and Ellsbury are not mutually exclusive."

Exactly. Softy pitting two great players against each other makes you wonder if we need to take his flimsy fan credentials away from him....

"The Coco for Ramon Ramirez trade never made sense.  Coco was more valuable as a switch hitting, play all 3 OF positions, defensive replacement, pinch running supersub than a back of the pen guy.  He was the true leader of our clubhouse."

Agreed. To some extent all three Boston teams (I can't speak for the Bruins, don't follow closely enough) have made this mistake - they underestimate the value of players who have fit in and performed well in the Boston pressure cooker in favor of a shiny new object with shiny stats from the outside. Many of whom don't succeed here. I don't understand why "proven success in Boston/Fenway" isn't the number one criteria to consider when evaluating and considering moving players. 

I was on a business trip in Philly when I heard about the Crisp trade.  I was livid.  You cannot tell me that Ramon Ramirez (a seventh inning guy) is worth more than a switch hitting , excellent defensive, fourth outfielder, who (as you point out) proved he could hande Boston and proved he could handle any role assigned.

Coco was a class act, and a better asset than we gave him credit for.  I know this because he was flipped for a much lesser asset.

The difference between Crisp and Ellsbury was not as drastic as the difference in their trade value.  After 2007 Ellsbury could have headlined a trade for a young ace.  I would have personally kept both; however, trading Ellsbury for a great return would have been a better option than gifting Coco away.

Sections
Shortcuts