Cody Ross agrees to sign with Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Re: Cody Ross agrees to sign with Red Sox

In Response to Re: Cody Ross agrees to sign with Red Sox:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cody Ross agrees to sign with Red Sox : Or Papi! Nice call on Ross. I jumped on your bandwagon early, but you made the call!
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Thanks Moon.  He seemed like a good fit at a reasonable price, now if he is terrible I will deny I advocated for him :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cody Ross agrees to sign with Red Sox : Thanks Moon.  He seemed like a good fit at a reasonable price, now if he is terrible I will deny I advocated for him :)
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

LOL, spoken in true softy fashion. (Actually, he'd never admit it.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cody Ross agrees to sign with Red Sox : Francoeur signed a club-friendly deal with KC through 2013 in the middle of last season.  So, KC would ask the moon for him in return, if they would move him at all.  So, NOT REALISTIC. Molina is signed through next year and is one of the premier catchers in the game today.  After losing Pujols, pretty sure it is a St. louis priority to keep yadier around.  So, again, asking for the moon in return.  NOT REALISTIC. CJ Wilson.  Not worth that money & years.  Just because he was the best available starter in this extremely weak free agent crop does not mean he is a must have.  I pretty much guarantee you would be up in arms by July with his inconsistent, far-less-than-"ace" performance, talking about how Ben C. wastes money just like Theo. I love your thoughts on impact players for fantasy baseball.  For sure.  Just not in real baseball.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

My point is this. The RS are more concerned about their pocketbook, than they are about getting the players that will make the difference.
    From a fan standpoint, that just doesn't cut it for me. If I was an investor, or if the money spent impacted me directly, I'd feel differently.
    The organization knows they have us by the short hairs already. They know regardless of who they acquire or how much they spend, they are going to put butts in the seats.
    Reenue has increased by $65M since 2005, while player expenses were lowest since 2005. (Forbes 2010 Report) http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/33/baseball-valuations-10_Boston-Red-Sox_330700.html

They had the highest player expenses in 2008 at $199M; $145 in 2010.
    Could the Liverpool team have something to do with it?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cody Ross agrees to sign with Red Sox : My point is this. The RS are more concerned about their pocketbook, than they are about getting the players that will make the difference. From a fan standpoint, that just doesn't cut it for me. If I was an investor, or if the money spent impacted me directly, I'd feel differently. The organization knows they have us by the short hairs already. They know regardless of who they acquire or how much they spend, they are going to put butts in the seats. Reenue has increased by $65M since 2005, while player expenses were lowest since 2005. (Forbes 2010 Report) http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/33/baseball-valuations-10_Boston-Red-Sox_330700.html They had the highest player expenses in 2008 at $199M; $145 in 2010. Could the Liverpool team have something to do with it?
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

I just don't see it.  2 of the 3 people you mention in your post are signed and thus would be a trade.  No matter how much money is the coffers, it is never a good idea to loot your farm system for guys unless they are seriously the best of the best (Adrian Gonzalez types).  Molina and Francoeur would be greta additions, but you are losing sight of the long-term if you are willing to overpay in prospects for them.  A good GM must always balance the here and now with the longview.  As for CJ Wilson, many wonder if he is worth the dollars spent on him.  I am all for your notion of not being stingy.  But, be realistic man.  There just aren't that many players out there worth the money, never mind the prospects.  

Lets say they break the bank as you wish in 2012.  What happens in 2013, when there are actual real good players on the open market? 

I appreciate you wanting Henry to spend all he has.  But, I am still waiting for you to give me someone (who doesn't cost prospects) that would be worth spending all this money on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cody Ross agrees to sign with Red Sox : My point is this. The RS are more concerned about their pocketbook, than they are about getting the players that will make the difference. From a fan standpoint, that just doesn't cut it for me. If I was an investor, or if the money spent impacted me directly, I'd feel differently. The organization knows they have us by the short hairs already. They know regardless of who they acquire or how much they spend, they are going to put butts in the seats. Reenue has increased by $65M since 2005, while player expenses were lowest since 2005. (Forbes 2010 Report) http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/33/baseball-valuations-10_Boston-Red-Sox_330700.html They had the highest player expenses in 2008 at $199M; $145 in 2010. Could the Liverpool team have something to do with it?
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Of course 2010 is going to look like low player expenses if you compare April numbers to end of season numbers.  There were numerous additions to the roster that significantly increased player expenses later in the 2010 season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

RF problem solved...looks like a platoon type of year or a .240 hitter if Ross plays against both righties and lefties.  Not sure this is ideal but it is a cheap solution and that is what this year is about.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: Red Sox Having "Ongoing Dialogue" With Cody Ross/Cody Ross Decision Expected Today

In Response to Re: Red Sox Having "Ongoing Dialogue" With Cody Ross/Cody Ross Decision Expected Today:
    [QUOTE]Can Ross play shortstop?
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

We have our SS....Iggy !!!

Sections
Shortcuts