Cody Ross asking for 3/25

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Cody Ross asking for 3/25

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Some other team out there will offer 3/25 to Ross.  

[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure.  Keep in mind that we were able to sign him for only $3 million.  That indicates that the rest of baseball is well aware of Cody's strengths and weaknesses, and aren't going to be fooled by the .800 OPS.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure.  Keep in mind that we were able to sign him for only $3 million.  That indicates that the rest of baseball is well aware of Cody's strengths and weaknesses, and aren't going to be fooled by the .800 OPS.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with your points Hfxsoxnut.   :)

I meant to say, there will be a not-so-bright GM out there who wants to "make a splash".  

Remember Toronto during mid-2000?  Their GM was spending like the Yankees, Red Sox and Phillies.   Their GM gave Vernon Wells way too many years and dollars (even though it is now the Angel's problem)  LOL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The problem last year was that Ross was looking for three years deal where he scared off too many teams.  Instead around late December, he changed his approach by wanting just two years deals.  But it was too late since  most teams already signed everyone.  Instead Boston snooped in and asked him to play for Boston just for one year deal.  Boston should have signed him for two years for six million dollars!!!   Well, it was too late now.  Ross is now again looking for three years deal just like what Willingham/Cuddlyer did it last year. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Cody Ross is simply not that good. There are quite a few players of his caliber out there. No need to overpay him.  Nobody else will.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i still blame BC for not having ross signed already!!!!! i mean, how inept do you have to be to wait until the deadline for ortiz AND snooze on ross!?!?!?!

/geo pout

[/QUOTE]

Is it inept to only want to sign a guy to a 2 year deal while he is looking for 3? It seems that if you were GM, if the player asks for 3/25 you'd just pony it up.

Funny, to you he's inept for not signing Ross and to some others he's inept for overpaying Ortiz and signing him to 2 years.

Needless to say it appears that no matter what he does he'll be criticized.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]

saw an article today that posed the hypothetical question: "if your the GM and hamiltons agent called you and said hes looking for 3/90 million would you take it?"

tough choices touch choices. 3 years is the perfect amount of time i want hamilton. but the price is really high. sure he probably will not live up to 30 mil a year. but he definitely will not live up to 20 mil a year over 5-7 years......

[/QUOTE]

$30 million per year, are you kidding me??

This is not a tough choice at all...this is easy actually...Just walk away, far far away!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

i still blame BC for not having ross signed already!!!!! i mean, how inept do you have to be to wait until the deadline for ortiz AND snooze on ross!?!?!?!

/geo pout

[/QUOTE]

Is it inept to only want to sign a guy to a 2 year deal while he is looking for 3? It seems that if you were GM, if the player asks for 3/25 you'd just pony it up.

Funny, to you he's inept for not signing Ross and to some others he's inept for overpaying Ortiz and signing him to 2 years.

[/QUOTE]

easy killer. i was mimicing gerom.

i thought if i put "/geo pout" at the end people would know i was making light of the whining he does. i think ben is doing an OK job so far. i am really reserving my judgment for the start of 2013 after an offseason of endless possibilities.

GM is not a position you consider an instant success or failure. their job is about the future just as much (if not more) than the present. from a fans perspective, theres so many unknown variables we do not take into consideration paired with the desire to win NOW NOW NOW that its hard to accurately "grade" a GM

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

saw an article today that posed the hypothetical question: "if your the GM and hamiltons agent called you and said hes looking for 3/90 million would you take it?"

tough choices touch choices. 3 years is the perfect amount of time i want hamilton. but the price is really high. sure he probably will not live up to 30 mil a year. but he definitely will not live up to 20 mil a year over 5-7 years......

[/QUOTE]

$30 million per year, are you kidding me??

This is not a tough choice at all...this is easy actually...Just walk away, far far away!

[/QUOTE]

not saying i would jump on it (obviously in negotiating you have to haggle) but if you consider hamiltons skill window is about 3 years (give or take) then he will begin to decline, so paying him an extra 20 mil a year thereafter is counter productive and on a 5-7 year deal thats roughly 80 mil down the drain. whats the most you would offer on a 3 year deal to him? (that would likely land him) even if you overpay 3-6 mil a year for him thats only 9-18 mil lost but you get the offensive juggernaut that hamilton is. (pending his off the field issues subside and good health)

this is all based on what his market is though. it is understandable that teams will be wary to sign him longterm  because of his issues but its not crazy to think a few GMs will take that chance. but say his market is only 3-4 years do you think hes on our radar then? pick him up and throw him at first base, try to keep him healthy. god knows he hurts himself enough in the OF (and running the bases LOL)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

/geo pout

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

easy killer. i was mimicing gerom.

i thought if i put "/geo pout" at the end people would know i was making light of the whining he does. i think ben is doing an OK job so far. i am really reserving my judgment for the start of 2013 after an offseason of endless possibilities.

GM is not a position you consider an instant success or failure. their job is about the future just as much (if not more) than the present. from a fans perspective, theres so many unknown variables we do not take into consideration paired with the desire to win NOW NOW NOW that its hard to accurately "grade" a GM

[/QUOTE]

I guess you can say I shot the messenger here right?? Sorry 'bout that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

no worries.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I see the Mef-led Bootlicker Brigade is in full force already trying to cover for Ben's ineptness in deciding a very simple issue...

cody ross is 31 (not 34 as some have said here) his last years production are EXACTLY in line with his career averages 22hr/81rbi/.267avg.....he is a proven player at Fenway and can hit in both leagues...furthermore he is a tough player who shows heart....you dont think that is worth 8 million in todays baseball dollars?  

rotflmao....you just signed Papi for basically similar stats and he doesnt play the field and is 6 years older....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I see the Mef-led Bootlicker Brigade is in full force already trying to cover for Ben's ineptness in deciding a very simple issue...

cody ross is 31 (not 34 as some have said here) his last years production are EXACTLY in line with his career averages 22hr/81rbi/.267avg.....he is a proven player at Fenway and can hit in both leagues...furthermore he is a tough player who shows heart....you dont think that is worth 8 million in todays baseball dollars?  

rotflmao....you just signed Papi for basically similar stats and he doesnt play the field and is 6 years older....

[/QUOTE]

defending ben? signing ross is not a do or die matter. sure he is a good fit for the team but if he is listening to the field then hes obviously not going to sign rightaway. even if ben is offering exactly what he is looking for. get a clue geo! as long as it gets done before St starts who cares? and if another team wants to give him a 3 year deal for 8 mil per then let them. he can be replaced

look at what i posted earlier... papi even said it. ben put an offer on the table "take it or leave it" and papi was the one who took the time agree to it. do you blame empty TP rolls and global warming on ben too??

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Finally someone who isn't sniffing up the front office's rectum and playing the party line card.  Ross is 31, is a tiger at Fenway, hits lefties very well and is a hard nosed player who also can play hurt--- in vastcontrast to some of the candy as#es we currently have on the team.  A player with guts and the heart you described is worth a lot to a team that badly needs some of that.  And we most certainly do need some of that.  I would m uch rather have him than 37 and soon to be 38 year old Torii Hunter who saw nothing but fastballs when he was placed between Mike Trout and Albert Pujols.  Si nce we don't have hitters like that on our team in those spots Hunter will see a lot of off speed and curves and most important look at the differences in their ages.  Reminder.....Mike Cameron was nice guy and clubhouse man but he deteriorated right before our eyes.  For God's sakes, let us learn from our past mistakes.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to SindarinEribor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fred apparently agrees with the consensus of the forum and wants Ross to be signed for two years and $15-$20 mil.  Why is he so mad?

[/QUOTE]

Not mad SindEr.  Just perplexed.  You and o thers seem to back up the front office in just about  everything they do.  If I didn't no better I would think you and a few ot hers didn't have minds of your own.  Sooner or later it is going to dawn on you that Cherington is a dud, pure and simple.....slow to act, afraid of taking a plunge and always in the shadow of Lucchino who tugs at his strings like the gofer puppet that he says.  Tell you what......I will be more than glad to proclaim a Mea Culpa if this guy really shows some ingenuity and guts in getting our team up to speed by the end of the hot stove league season but I'm afraid you and some of the others around here will still be singing his praises after another season of screwups.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fred apparently agrees with the consensus of the forum and wants Ross to be signed for two years and $15-$20 mil.  Why is he so mad?

[/QUOTE]

Not mad SindEr.  Just perplexed.  You and o thers seem to back up the front office in just about  everything they do.  If I didn't no better I would think you and a few ot hers didn't have minds of your own.  Sooner or later it is going to dawn on you that Cherington is a dud, pure and simple.....slow to act, afraid of taking a plunge and always in the shadow of Lucchino who tugs at his strings like the gofer puppet that he says.  Tell you what......I will be more than glad to proclaim a Mea Culpa if this guy really shows some ingenuity and guts in getting our team up to speed by the end of the hot stove league season but I'm afraid you and some of the others around here will still be singing his praises after another season of screwups.

[/QUOTE]

Everyone's entilted to see things as they see fit, fred.  Some will agree with moves, some won't. You're complaining everyone are following like sheep, yet you want everyone to agree with your opinion of the front office. If Ross isn't signed yet because he's asking for 3/25, I agree with letting him test the market. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

$12M/2 tops (even that is an overpay, but with his numbers ar Fenway...)

Bye bye, Cody.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bye bye, Cody.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Basically similar stats?  Over the past 3 years, Ross' OPS was .758.  Papi's OPS over the past three was .950.  That's not close to similar.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bye bye, Cody.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, Moon.  I like him as a short term solution in left, but that's about it. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The only benefit I see in the 3rd year of Ross is that Papi should retire after 2014. Ross could DH.

Still not enough for $17M/3, let alone $25M/3

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

The only benefit I see in the 3rd year of Ross is that Papi should retire after 2014. Ross could DH.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, and once Papi is done, I wouldn't mind the DH being a more flexible spot to rest guys here and there.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree, and once Papi is done, I wouldn't mind the DH being a more flexible spot to rest guys here and there.

[/QUOTE]

except they didn't even do that when the DH spot was open. pedey is coming back from an injury he got playing in the field?? slot him in at 2nd and we'll let ciriaco DH instead.... but i suppose thats on bonehead bobby..