1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: Cody Ross asking for 3/25

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The only benefit I see in the 3rd year of Ross is that Papi should retire after 2014. Ross could DH.

Still not enough for $17M/3, let alone $25M/3

[/QUOTE]

I agree, and once Papi is done, I wouldn't mind the DH being a more flexible spot to rest guys here and there.

[/QUOTE]

except they didn't even do that when the DH spot was open. pedey is coming back from an injury he got playing in the field?? slot him in at 2nd and we'll let ciriaco DH instead.... but i suppose thats on bonehead bobby..

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, explaining Bobby is impossible.  Any manager who pinch hits for a guy with 2 strikes on him should be fired by text messge on the spot. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I see the Mef-led Bootlicker Brigade is in full force already trying to cover for Ben's ineptness in deciding a very simple issue...

cody ross is 31 (not 34 as some have said here) his last years production are EXACTLY in line with his career averages 22hr/81rbi/.267avg.....he is a proven player at Fenway and can hit in both leagues...furthermore he is a tough player who shows heart....you dont think that is worth 8 million in todays baseball dollars?  

rotflmao....you just signed Papi for basically similar stats and he doesnt play the field and is 6 years older....

[/QUOTE]

Ross demands are right in line with what was expected, and like I have said numerous times, it is an overpay, but not a crippling one. What I do not get is the contingency jumping all over Cherington as if something has changed. Ross is not signed anywhere else, and probably will not any time soon for that money. Fans wishing this was already done probably might want to consider that his price may not have been 3 years $9mill three weeks ago. It has probably been the same or very close all along, maybe even higher. And if you are running any MLB franchise or any business, you are undoubtedly conscience of all your costs, even the smaller ones. This is not rocket science, and you might not like it. If Cherington has the task of getting the best team for as little money as possible – which by the way is the role of every GM in every sport, do not kid yourself – then his best bet here was to see if anyone else would pay that much for Ross. Considering no one wanted him for as much as $4mill last year, it is probably a safe bet. And since every GM in MLB has internet access, his home / road splits are unlikely to remain a mystery. Like it or not, this is the basics of business side of baseball. You have the luxury of demanding every player you want regardless of cost, but that does not make it realistic, and does not mean failure to fulfill your pipe dreams is a sign of ineptitude.

And you are becoming so adept at jumping to conclusions, that if it ever becomes an Olympic sport you will definitely get your picture on a Wheaties box. You started another thread blasting Cherington for “low balling” Ortiz over a 2 year $25mill contract. One might think that given the two sides agreed to a bigger deal, Ortiz was asking for more than that figure. It is a fairly safe bet that Cherington was not offering more, and Ortiz asked him to come down, right?

Relax. Ross is still in play. And really does not have as many options as fans think. You may not care if he is overpaid, but the people actually responsible for paying him are supposed to be. It is part of the job.

But hey, why waste time on the facts and patience when there are fingers to point and blame to pass around? Not sure for what, but that should not matter. It is said best in the words of the immortal Joseph Heller.  "The case against [Cherington] was open and shut. All that was missing was something to charge him with."...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SindarinEribor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fred apparently agrees with the consensus of the forum and wants Ross to be signed for two years and $15-$20 mil.  Why is he so mad?

[/QUOTE]

Not mad SindEr.  Just perplexed.  You and o thers seem to back up the front office in just about  everything they do.  If I didn't no better I would think you and a few ot hers didn't have minds of your own.  Sooner or later it is going to dawn on you that Cherington is a dud, pure and simple.....slow to act, afraid of taking a plunge and always in the shadow of Lucchino who tugs at his strings like the gofer puppet that he says.  Tell you what......I will be more than glad to proclaim a Mea Culpa if this guy really shows some ingenuity and guts in getting our team up to speed by the end of the hot stove league season but I'm afraid you and some of the others around here will still be singing his praises after another season of screwups.

[/QUOTE]

How many other GM's have signed a bunch of players already??? Once you answer none, then tell me how that makes BC any different.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I see the Mef-led Bootlicker Brigade is in full force already trying to cover for Ben's ineptness in deciding a very simple issue...

cody ross is 31 (not 34 as some have said here) his last years production are EXACTLY in line with his career averages 22hr/81rbi/.267avg.....he is a proven player at Fenway and can hit in both leagues...furthermore he is a tough player who shows heart....you dont think that is worth 8 million in todays baseball dollars?  

rotflmao....you just signed Papi for basically similar stats and he doesnt play the field and is 6 years older....

[/QUOTE]

Ross demands are right in line with what was expected, and like I have said numerous times, it is an overpay, but not a crippling one. What I do not get is the contingency jumping all over Cherington as if something has changed. Ross is not signed anywhere else, and probably will not any time soon for that money. Fans wishing this was already done probably might want to consider that his price may not have been 3 years $9mill three weeks ago. It has probably been the same or very close all along, maybe even higher. And if you are running any MLB franchise or any business, you are undoubtedly conscience of all your costs, even the smaller ones. This is not rocket science, and you might not like it. If Cherington has the task of getting the best team for as little money as possible – which by the way is the role of every GM in every sport, do not kid yourself – then his best bet here was to see if anyone else would pay that much for Ross. Considering no one wanted him for as much as $4mill last year, it is probably a safe bet. And since every GM in MLB has internet access, his home / road splits are unlikely to remain a mystery. Like it or not, this is the basics of business side of baseball. You have the luxury of demanding every player you want regardless of cost, but that does not make it realistic, and does not mean failure to fulfill your pipe dreams is a sign of ineptitude.

And you are becoming so adept at jumping to conclusions, that if it ever becomes an Olympic sport you will definitely get your picture on a Wheaties box. You started another thread blasting Cherington for “low balling” Ortiz over a 2 year $25mill contract. One might think that given the two sides agreed to a bigger deal, Ortiz was asking for more than that figure. It is a fairly safe bet that Cherington was not offering more, and Ortiz asked him to come down, right?

Relax. Ross is still in play. And really does not have as many options as fans think. You may not care if he is overpaid, but the people actually responsible for paying him are supposed to be. It is part of the job.

But hey, why waste time on the facts and patience when there are fingers to point and blame to pass around? Not sure for what, but that should not matter. It is said best in the words of the immortal Joseph Heller.  "The case against [Cherington] was open and shut. All that was missing was something to charge him with."...

[/QUOTE]

use......logic????

im not sure where your going with this