cody ross gone....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: cody ross gone....

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kimsaysthis's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I really liked Cody. I'll be sorry to see him go. I wonder what it takes to play the outfield here. I bet it's harder than most people think. I think that's why Drew was injured so much. He was all over right field diving all over the place. Sweeney's injuries also made you think as well Ellsbury diving and banging himself all over the field. Is everyone missing something? Were there really players in the past that could throw themselves all over, make every play and just get up and dust themselves off every time?

[/QUOTE]

I don't know which games you were watching but if you can come up with some video showing JD Drew laying out for a fly ball, I'd be shocked!

I'm sure the only kind of diving he did was of the muff variety.

[/QUOTE]

I saw Drew make many sliding catching into the corner. I don't know what game you were watching. And I also saw him get up and gun runners down at third base. Which, to me, is the most awesome move in baseball.

Edit: Besides an incredibly hot slide into second base, of course.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

we had no use for him. we can get more production from a platoon of gomes and kalish/nava without locking up a roster spot for 3 years

[/QUOTE]

MEF Nava cannot hit, he starts off good then drops like a stone. That is why he is a career minor leaguer. Kalish is constantly hurt and there is no guarantee there either. Gomes hit in a weaker league and is a below average fielder. Its going to be a long year with this team. They paid top dollar for good character guys instead of getting talent. Emotion carries you so far, talent has to carry you the rest of the way. This team is way short on talent.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe Nava tails off because he's a platoon player and not an MLB regular.  Maybe his frame cant handle playing every day.

Also, there is something to be said for giving your team a spark, even if it does eventually fade away.  Nava has provided the Sox w/ a much needed spark, which is more than anyone could have expected for him.

How about instead of focusing on what Nava isn't, we focus on what he is.  It's not like we are asking him to be a core player.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I really liked Cody. I'll be sorry to see him go. I wonder what it takes to play the outfield here. I bet it's harder than most people think. I think that's why Drew was injured so much. He was all over right field diving all over the place. Sweeney's injuries also made you think as well Ellsbury diving and banging himself all over the field. Is everyone missing something? Were there really players in the past that could throw themselves all over, make every play and just get up and dust themselves off every time?

[/QUOTE]

I don't know which games you were watching but if you can come up with some video showing JD Drew laying out for a fly ball, I'd be shocked!

[/QUOTE]

I saw Drew make many sliding catching into the corner. I don't know what game you were watching. And I also saw him get up and gun runners down at third base. Which, to me, is the most awesome move in baseball.

[/QUOTE]

I think by laying out he meant a head first dive, not one of his usual and preferred sliding type catches (which he was great at).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One of the interesting dynamics of bringing in mediocre ball players?  Fans still fall in love with them.

Letting Ross go is a good decision.  If we can't replace his production with what we have - we are in serious trouble.

[/QUOTE]

I dont know if I would go as far as to call Ross mediocre.  Ross is a role player, and he fits that Role very well.  A very similar to role to Gomes.

That being said, you do have a point.  Ross was helped by Fenway.  Take away the Fenways park help, and you have a .260, 18-22 HR , poor defensive player.  While these players are needed for balanced roster construction, you can usually replace these types (i.e. Gomes)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think by laying out he meant a head first dive, not one of his usual and preferred sliding type catches (which he was great at).

[/QUOTE]

OK. And just for full disclosure purposes, I added a line before I saw your comment. Doesn't have anything to do with your post, but I don't like edited posts after someone has already commented.

If he made sliding type catches that, in YOW, said he was great at, that's probably what he did most of the time. Why not, if it works? Also you slam into the boards sometimes on those catches, and they were the ones he was known for. I'm sure there were others -- probably ones he missed -- where he didn't just do "that slide". Whatever. It seems like the outfield doesn't get credit for how much abuse they take fielding balls out there. There's a lot of field to cover.

And getting up and recovering after sliding or hitting the boards, and gunning a runner down is amazing. My favorite play.